Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Shadow and acronym aren’t conspiracy theories. That part is 100% accurate.

The only part that is unsubstantiated at the moment is that the pete campaign deliberately hosed with numbers and was caught by warren and klob people.

Does Glenn Beck know you've taken his chalk board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

Separately, combat arms GIP/Milvets: how many of you actually used the automatic fire mode on your M4/M16s in combat? So many anti gunban folks are pissy at assault weapons terminology but does fully-auto actually factor in that much in an engagement? What about urban fighting/building clearance?

Kinda been covered already but I'll echo that the only time I used burst was using up ammo at the range cause higher didn't want to go through the turn in process. We were taught controlled pairs/failure to stop drill for urban fighting.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Is the implication that op killed kissenger?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

This is going to be Trump's "Nixon goes to China" thing isn't it?

It's like the historical equivalent of the "person I hate makes a great point" meme.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Godholio posted:

I just made instant pot mac & cheese and I might just eat this exclusively until I die.

Actually shredding cheese instead of using bagged pre-shredded stuff is as game-changing as the internet suggests.

Edit: gently caress, I thought you said you cooked on another engine. What did you doooo?

Totally correct but the instapot isn't really necessary and you'll probably get better noodles without it. Try this : https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Instant pot macaroni and cheese sounds like it's trying to justify the instant pot without the instant pot offering any utility beyond what a $12 rice cooker would have. You don't need a pressure cooker to make pasta and italian nonnas everywhere are weeping and shaking their folded hands over your mushy macaroni. I'm sure it's good, and there are many uses for an instant pot or a pressure cooker generally speaking, but mac&cheese seems like a bit of a stretch

but yeah shredding your own cheese is better and way way cheaper

Instapot spaghetti has been a fad for awhile now, I think it comes out like Chef Boyardee, but I guess that's the appeal?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I’ve had an insta pot for years and I mostly use it as a slow cooker

Best use of insta pot is pick one of each: chuck/chicken thighs/chickpeas, stock/can of tomatoes, dealer's choice of aromatics, flavors and bonus veggies. 30-40 minutes on high pressure gives you a pretty decent lazy stew that comes together in like five minutes of active work.

Also making super high gelatin stock.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

bloops posted:

Oh my god stop. No decent ragu ever happens without a long, slow braise of meat.

Yeah this is just wrong.

Don't get me wrong I love my 5-6 hour bolognese that I braise with the lid cracked in a low oven all day long, but you can get about 90% as good of a result in a pressure cooker with 10% of the time.

This goes doubly so if you have a good stove-top pressure cooker that can hit 15 PSI because above about 12-12.5 PSI you can get it hot enough to produce internal maillard reaction within a wet environment.

You can get similar 90/10 results with all day slow cooked tomato sauces as well. That's pretty much the main benefit of a pressure cooker: outside of some cool things you can do with pressure because of quirks of chemistry it doesn't do anything a low oven and a slow braise doesn't do better, but it does it waaaaaaay faster.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm gonna smoke you an 18 hour brisket and you'll see why I'm willing to spend the extra 90% of time

Yeah, we get it, there's few things I like more than spending 10x more effort and time on a dish chasing the literal ultimate version of it (I home-grind, cure, emulsify, stuff, and smoke my own hot dogs for example).

But these days I'm trying to get through grad school with a two year old and sometimes it's nice to be able to eat some bolognese without waiting for a federal holiday.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

That Works posted:

What do you think about the NYT tomato sauce recipe?

From memory (probably not exact)

1/2 stick butter
1 large jar san marzano whole peeled tomatoes
1 onion, peeled and halved

bring up to boil, cover, let simmer for 1-2h (or pressure cook for 30m) then remove onion, stickblend until homogenous, add a pinch of sugar, salt to taste.

I use this as a base sauce for stuff then usually separately sautee up some garlic and add some fish sauce and a little oregano and basil depending on what I'm going to do with it next. Note, this is not for ragu or bolognese or anything.

This isn't much different from what I use as a quick sauce, though I use olive oil and I just crush the san marzanos in a bowl with my hands before they go in instead of playing with blenders. Sometimes I'll add a rough chopped carrot or some basil stems/tomato clippings.

edit:

bloops posted:

I like it. It's a solid, no frills base. Does the recipe suggests to sautee onions first for 5-8 min then garlic after for another few before deglazing with either red wine or beef stock? This is pretty essential IMO. Fish sauce is a good thing add too.

What I typically do is the following:

Stick blend whole unpeeled san marzano tomatoes to preference before adding -- be careful though. You dont want to aerate them, so very quick pulses.

Season lightly with salt and pepper -- the final seasoning has to happen after the sauce is cooked or lest you risk over seasoning.

Fresh basil on the stem as the sauce cooks -- remove the stem and then add in chiffonade-cut fresh basil at the same time as the pasta finishes cooking in the sauce w/ like half cup of pasta water. I dont add any other herbs beyond basil as of late. It's all too preference.

In lieu of sugar, A rough cut carrot works too -- remove the chunks before serving.

Ahh yes, a little bit of fish sauce and a little bit of soy sauce, how could I forget that part. I also save my parm rinds and if I have one on hand I'll cut off a piece to throw in during the simmer

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 17, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Americans getting the vapors if someone makes Italian food without taking 9 hours and using ultra premium specific "authentic" ingredients is not a current event, it's been tedious for decades.

e: like have any of you actually been to Italy? They make regular food quickly and with regular mass produced ingredients all the time.

Yeah, lived there for three years, it's where I learned to appreciate making stuff simple and lazy can be almost as good and let you enjoy eating home cooked food every day.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Alaan posted:

I'm sure everyone in here applauding jail murder has never posted any doubt about the rate of false convictions in the US system.

Even without weighing in on the morality of murdering 100% guilty people, the system fucks up enough where this should at least raise an eyebrow some broke guy who pled to not get turbofucked by a prosecutor could get shanked.

This is my concern, from a practical perspective I don't trust the criminal justice system enough to kill people based off it's findings.

From a philosophical perspective though? I've seen enough poo poo to know that some motherfuckers just need to get dead.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

what a loving hack

It's very likely both. Not because Bernie is bad for the economy per se, but because he scares investors and the capital class.

Reminder that the market != the economy

(Disclaimer: I'm going by the quote in the tweet as I'm not able to watch the clip, I don't know what other dumb poo poo he might have said)

Edit: Other factor to keep in mind is that the markets, for good or ill, seem to like Trump (probably due to his "loot everything gently caress the consequences" policies). Bernie winning could also cause a slump because the market believes Bernie is likely to kick Trump's rear end.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 24, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fallom posted:

I’m curious how the ROI works out hiring hundreds of full time employees to guarantee fares. What’s the fully burdened cost to the city for a cop?

It's unclear because it looks like the MTA budget proposal asks for funds to hire 500 cops for "fare evasion and homelessness mitigation outreach" but the MTA head is saying they're for general policing. I can also find mealy mouth statements about fair evasion being a part of general policing as well as that fare evasion correlates with the stations where the most violent crime and harassment is happening.

Also the MTA worker's union has been pushing this hard because assaults on their members was up something like 50% last year.

Whole thing looks like a mess.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

edit: misread the first paragraph

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 29, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fallom posted:

Fully burdened cost is salary + benefits + overhead, which tends to be way more than the base salary.

drat you fucks are quick. Yeah I misread the first paragraph, it's also over four years. Got confused because I saw other articles throwing around the $200m in fare evasion as a annual number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which is annoying to hear because everyone personally directly benefits from more transportation options and fewer cars on the road.

This, I'd gladly pay more taxes to reduce traffic in Boston, commuting via public transit is not a realistic option for me.