Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The Outsider is an HBO series adapted from a Stephen King novel. It is a dire story that starts with a dead child being found and his killer was in two places at once??? As of me writing this it is halfway through its run of 10 episodes and it stars a bunch of excellent people:

Ben Mendelsohn as Ralph Anderson, the detective charged (and not so charged,) with figuring everything out
Jason Bateman as Terry Maitland, killer??? Also directed some episodes and is why some feel similar to Ozark
Cynthia Erivo as Holly Gibney, supersmart private eye lady. She has a series of King books and many sites are saying she's the best part of the show.
Paddy Considine as Claude Bolton, strip club manager. (Not a huge part of the story. I just like Paddy Considine)
and many other actors that are kicking some rear end in their parts.

Show is good so far and has popped up in several threads so lets talk about this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNDKWr3Xmjk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just about halfway through episode 4 and so far I'm liking this a lot.

A couple random things:
1) people need to lay off Terry's wife jfc
2) Holly is pretty cool, wasn't sure what to expect from her
3) the cinematography rules, ep. 4 is going crazy with mirror shots and shooting scenes through several layers of glass and whatnot

Haven't read, or really even thought much about King since whenever the last Dark Tower book came out. Not sure how closely this follows the source, but so far so good.

You say it's 10 episodes? That's a pretty good length for a series in my opinion, hopefully that means it has a proper ending.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm hoping/guessing it will get a proper ending. Maybe they'll leave it open for the other Holly Gibney stories.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Kind of lost me right when Holly entered but her character is saving this show. Good King vibes here.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Fourth episode is weak. Fifth is good.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I feel like this doesn't need to be 10 episodes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm curious to see where this show is going, but it is hard to watch a lot of the time. And I mean physically difficult, as in it's way too loving dark to see what's happening and it keeps expecting me to read handwritten text on physical props which would require me to pause it, get up, and walk over to my TV, and I'm not doing that every five minutes.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Bateman does an amazing creepy presence. Good show.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

physeter posted:

Bateman does an amazing creepy presence. Good show.

It's the goatee.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The show is well filmed and gives a good true detective vibe but given that it’s based on a king novel I’m fully ready for it not to stick the landing.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
This is what Season 2&3 of what True Detective should have been in terms of mood, coherence and tone.

Show is good so far.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
This show taught me that using Google Image Search is a valid research method for murder investigation.

Besides that scene, this show is pretty rad.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm enjoying this a lot. The E5 post credits preview for the remaining episodes looks good.

Holly is the best. Good character in the Mr Mercedes series too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

I feel like this doesn't need to be 10 episodes.

Yeah this is probably where I'm at also. I think 8 eps would be fine, it's a bit too slow and meandering for its own good, so it's starting to drag in the middle which is a bummer considering the incredibly strong opening episodes. Still good, though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm really liking this show so far, but I agree with a lot of people that I'm not sure why this is 10 episodes. Kind of weird how there feels like there's no real mystery to the show, but just trying to see how the characters figure it out.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm really liking this show so far, but I agree with a lot of people that I'm not sure why this is 10 episodes. Kind of weird how there feels like there's no real mystery to the show, but just trying to see how the characters figure it out.
Yeah. First episode they killed off any suspicion of it being anything other than something paranormal. There was never a chance Jason Bateman actually did it.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
This is a really fun show, you know, except in a really dark way.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
I love how they frame shots of characters sitting alone at a table or computer or whatever. They always have the character off center with a visible dark hallway or open door behind them. I can never take my eyes off of the background. I'm just waiting for someone or something to sneak up behind them but it never happens. It likely won't happen because that's kind of a cheap scare and this show is above that but I like how they play with that trope just enough to maintain tension.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Fartington Butts posted:

Paddy Considine as Claude Bolton, strip club manager. (Not a huge part of the story. I just like Paddy Considine)

after watching episode 6 i'm not so sure about that

which is awesome because who isn't down to see paddy considine more

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In the latest episode, when Holly was giving her presentation, I was just thinking "Hold on, even if we accept that these cases are linked and that there is a single entity framing these otherwise unconnected people for some reason, it's still a huge leap to say that we know it's this specific supernatural being." so I was very pleased when Ralph made that exact point shortly afterward.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

ARE YOU HIGH ON MY BUS??

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

show us ur neck zits

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Loving this show but episode 6 went a bit off the rails into goofball Stephen King Country and I hope the remaining four episodes pull back a bit.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Finished the book last week and binged all 6 episodes over the past few days.

I feel like I would have enjoyed the show a lot more had I not read the book. There are a few significant divergences from the book to the show that confused me while watching it.

Overall though it's enjoyable and I'm curious to see how they decide to end it, since it's very likely it won't end like it did.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

HanabaL03 posted:

Finished the book last week and binged all 6 episodes over the past few days.

I feel like I would have enjoyed the show a lot more had I not read the book. There are a few significant divergences from the book to the show that confused me while watching it.

Overall though it's enjoyable and I'm curious to see how they decide to end it, since it's very likely it won't end like it did.

Care to share via spoiler tags what the differences are so far?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This show is so fuckin good

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Starks posted:

The show is well filmed and gives a good true detective vibe but given that it’s based on a king novel I’m fully ready for it not to stick the landing.

Yup. I've been loving / super liking it, but when Ninja ghost mom shows up and starts dropping straight up King Cliches like "Sonny Jim" and a couple others that I'm not about to re-watch to remember I went right to feeling like it's another bad Steven King thing and I kinda tuned out. Plus finding out there's five more episode and the mystery is gone has me feeling like dropping out is a great time saving tip.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The fact that there's several hours left makes me think there will be more twists (I haven't read the book)

Or it'll be like the James Franco miniseries and just kinda peter out

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
This show has a real True Detective vibe going for it, like the setting itself is an antagonist. Love that the reveal of the supernatural is early on in the series so there's no excessive ambiguity on that.

Also Ben is the best actor working today. I've seen everything he's been in and he just brings A game every time. Every time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Tbh I think Medelsohn's best performances were the ones where he got to use his native accent, but he's a brilliant actor, and I'm glad he's being discovered state side.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Yup. I've been loving / super liking it, but when Ninja ghost mom shows up and starts dropping straight up King Cliches like "Sonny Jim" and a couple others that I'm not about to re-watch to remember I went right to feeling like it's another bad Steven King thing and I kinda tuned out. Plus finding out there's five more episode and the mystery is gone has me feeling like dropping out is a great time saving tip.

It was shocking to learn that that thing is not part of the novel.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Same, it’s such insanely arch Stephen King poo poo that I was floored that someone on the production made it up.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Henchman of Santa posted:

What the gently caress?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Tbh I think Medelsohn's best performances were the ones where he got to use his native accent, but he's a brilliant actor, and I'm glad he's being discovered state side.

He really is so good, and I love that he's showing up in so much stuff now. I grew up a Marvel comics kid and I'm unashamed to by a huge MCU fan, and the only one I thought was bad was Captain Marvel. But I still recommend it to people by telling them Medelsohn's moments are few and far between, but he nails it so hard it's worth sitting through all the Brie Larson showing up to collect a paycheck for a role she clearly feels is beneath her.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wow show good how stephen king show get so good

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

wow show good how stephen king show get so good

The key to making a Stephen King adaptation actually good is on the filmmakers. The source material is spotty so you need a Kubrick or (less so but still one of the more successful adapters) Darabont.

That being said I still can’t believe the goofiest scene in this entire show wasn’t from the book at all. :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just finished episode 6 and welp. Hope they turn things around because :ms: doesn't make for compelling TV

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I don’t even know what ninja ghost mom is referring to. Did I miss a scene?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
My take is that the invisible hag is such a staple in King's work that when it's absent the fans will just instinctively write it in.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Starks posted:

I don’t even know what ninja ghost mom is referring to. Did I miss a scene?

Did you not watch the last episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
This is giving me flashbacks to The Night Of. A great start and then it just falls apart.

Not that it's terrible but it's already feeling too long and there's still 4 episodes to go. Unless there's some big twist coming up I don't have high hopes.