Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

So this is gonna end with them killing the cave thing, but it somehow surviving by badtouching grandpa, yeah?

I was thinking that the little kid got scratched and didn't say so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The only way I'll even consider watching the second season is if they go full anthology.

I take back my earlier praise of the show, the penultimate episode was a slow-motion trainwreck and somehow I hate every single character.

"El Cuco" is a loving clown's name. Should have stuck with "boogeyman" or something less infantile.

The monster is the only reason I'm seeing this season through.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Started with high hopes, it's inconsistent tone throughout has ruined it. I'll finish it, but good lord they could have done better.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Snowman Crossing posted:

The Seale character is written to be too much of a dumbass/rear end in a top hat to really be believable. The direction is bizarre.
When a character does something unbelievably dumb, then another character calls him dumb, and then the first character agrees what he did was really dumb, hoo boy you better believe it's dumb.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

CODChimera posted:

They're crying and poo poo though, you think they'd have a bit of a hustle going on

Attention parents: your kids have been cancelled due to lack of hustle. Deal with it.

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The only way I'll even consider watching the second season is if they go full anthology.

I take back my earlier praise of the show, the penultimate episode was a slow-motion trainwreck and somehow I hate every single character.

"El Cuco" is a loving clown's name. Should have stuck with "boogeyman" or something less infantile.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_(folklore)

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
In defense of Jack, I had a huge and very painful zit on the back of my neck last week and it also made me pretty irritable and really want to murder some people.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
One thing I like about this show is the captain character. Firstly, he isn't a bad guy, secondly, he isn't played as an antagonist or someone actively putting up roadblocks and hindering the heroes from getting to the bottom of the mystery. I know there was a bit of "you're supposed to be suspended" type cliche in the first coupld of episodes, but otherwise, he's been actively encouraging the exploration of leads. It's refreshing.

Ditto for the Lawyer and his Private Investigator. They could be the typical cynic/antagonist and antagonists rear end in a top hat henchmen but instead the PI is 100% on board and the lawyer, whilst still doing what he's been paid to do, isn't a complete oval office for the sake of it.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

counterpoint: Tony "El Cucuy" Ferguson of UFC fame

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

more like el caca

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

There’s a scene partway through the credits. I’m assuming the scratch on her arm is supposed to be like somehow the monster got her but I don’t see her just shrugging off finding a scratch after the encounter as well as the thing having its head caved in

Also who were the two zombie kids in the cave? They looked like they were dressed in modern clothes so they weren’t the kids that got trapped in the 30’s, were they?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 9, 2020

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

AFewBricksShy posted:

There’s a scene partway through the credits. I’m assuming the scratch on her arm is supposed to be like somehow the monster got her but I don’t see her just shrugging off finding a scratch after the encounter as well as the thing having its head caved in

Also who were the two zombie kids in the cave? They looked like they were dressed in modern clothes so they weren’t the kids that got trapped in the 30’s, were they?

They were Mendelsohn's son and the Frankie Peterson's older brother.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I thought for sure they were going to pull a switcheroo during the cave in.

Also what was with Holly asking, "Who's Terry?" after stabbing El Chupacabra? That was the only time she got near the thing, but she had long sleeves on.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 9, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Good finale but man that credits scene was so dumb.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

nooneofconsequence posted:

I thought that too and I'm glad they didn't go that route.

For all the show's faults, they really kept a straightforward approach to the story and avoided common annoying horror tropes which I found refreshing.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Also what was with Holly asking, "Who's Terry?" after stabbing El Chupacabra? That was the only time she got near the thing, but she had long sleeves on.

At first I thought that was referring to the fact that she didn’t know about the Frankie Peterson case but that’s not it, considering the widow blowing up at her in the meeting midseason.

So yeah I have no idea what that was about.

This finale was weird.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was sure that was the route they were going, until they found El Cuco and I went 'oh right, the bullet wound! They can tell who's who.' :doh:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

I don't know why she asked "Who's Terry?" and also what was with the murdered boy last episode? There's a scene where the DA is looking at photos of the murder and it's never brought up again

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Maybe she didn't say "who's Terry?", but "whose Terry?"

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
I just took it to mean that the dude she had a thing for just got burned alive so she really didn't give a gently caress about clearing whats-his-face's name right then.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I took it as her never really being that interested in Maitland in the first place. She was clearly all about El Cuco and the mystery.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was sure that was the route they were going, until they found El Cuco and I went 'oh right, the bullet wound! They can tell who's who.' :doh:

See I had this covered. "Claude" was going to be found with a stalactite where the entry wound should be.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

does the scratch even mean anything with the creature dead?

feels like a really strange way to continue the story

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

It might not really be dead. Or it could mean there's another Cuco out there, El Twoco. Either way it felt like something filmed after everything else when they decided there was a chance for another season.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Or it's just illustrating Holly's PTSD.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I know it's nitpicky but drat, if I were in Ralph's shoes I would have obliterated that thing's body, set it on fire, then covered the ashes in giant rocks. That isn't something you take chances on lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't take it as him killing it, since he said not sure that's possible, so much as pinning it to the cave floor forever.

Now that we're done, what were the main differences between the show and the book?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

zoux posted:

I didn't take it as him killing it, since he said not sure that's possible, so much as pinning it to the cave floor forever.

Now that we're done, what were the main differences between the show and the book?

Going from memory:
Claude didn't have a brother, rather an infirmed mother..
The entire cave site had been abandoned, not just one cave.
They made Jack more remorseful in the show.
There were worms or something like it inside the body of the shape shifter.
Holly killed the shape shifter by bashing it's head in with a sack filled with ball bearings.
Holly found out about the shapeshifter because she liked watching Mexican wrestling movies.
I don't think the lady shapeshifter part was in the book (the one Holly met in prison).
I think Holly's boyfriend was invented for the show.
I don't think the monster had a telepathic link with the victim, but I could be wrong about that.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 9, 2020

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The finale was a pretty good episode by itself, but man it is the journey not the destination and the journey loving sucked.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

It’s a shame Bateman didn’t direct the entire season since episodes 1 and 2 were the strongest imo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It might not really be dead. Or it could mean there's another Cuco out there, El Twoco. Either way it felt like something filmed after everything else when they decided there was a chance for another season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It’s a shame Bateman didn’t direct the entire season since episodes 1 and 2 were the strongest imo.

Yeah. The finale was okay but episodes 6 through 9 should have been 2 episodes at most

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Where would they even go with a second season? If it’s more shapeshifters then that’s dumb because the mystery was by far the most compelling part of this season. Why can’t Hollywood just let a miniseries with a complete story remain a miniseries with a complete story?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would be reeeeeally dumb if S2 was just More El Coacho

Only slightly related, but Ben Mendelssohn is in Star Citizen, something I'd forgotten completely lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I thought the show overall was fantastic, just drawn out like everyone has mentioned.

I was hoping to see Holly's BF get infected. That guy has piercing eyes and I'd love to see the actor in a more substantial (evil) role.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

If this was a single X-Files episode where would it rank?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Worse than First Person Shooter
better than the Scully Tattoo episode

Actually I dont know as I havent seen the finale yet but the season has been pretty disappointing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If this was a single X-Files episode where would it rank?

This is how I feel about stranger things.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

I have a couple of episodes of this left to watch. I have gotten so bored with the slow movement of the show. Is it worth finishing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

e.martin posted:

I have a couple of episodes of this left to watch. I have gotten so bored with the slow movement of the show. Is it worth finishing?

No.