Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I've wanted to ask some BIG questions and I'm hoping our community of learned doctors can help.
are all points created equal? And is there a way to find out if a player is primarily scoring against less competitive opponents as a result of the score/context? Or does it even matter because over the course of the season it equals out assuming they have a high usage?
I just think about how the Raptors have had a stretch against some bad teams and it's clear that they don't try as hard and that they often let their bench guys play longer minutes once they go up 15+. Are the points scored against greener defenders like Chris Boucher and Terrance Davis (who admittedly, are still future hall of famers) really equal in demonstrating a player's value as the points scored against Gasol and Lowry?

if we just use points scored and efficiency, is a player who scores 27ppg on 50% always better than a guy who scores 24ppg on 47% shooting (assume equal usage) or is there a way to find out if the context of those numbers give one player an easier time?

BWV fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Congratulations to the Sixers for moving into "See more" territory

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I am more confident in the Bucks running through the east than last year but not because of their crazy regular season numbers. They have the perfect regular season team, coach, rotations, etc. that leads to a lot of blowouts. The Raptors had a similar thing going two years back and they really start clicking. Crushing the point differential becomes easier when everyone is confident and your 11th guy is now playing 15 minutes per game. As commentators told me 100s of times before Kawhi, this depth becomes pretty much irrelevant in the playoffs and the game becomes so much more choppier. Coaches don't really let games get out of hand as easily and an offense like Bud's, which seems to really dominate when the play is freewheeling, gets bogged down in the mud.
Nothing I've seen out of the Bucks has showed me that their system is somehow now more adept at solving these issues, but I'm still more confident in them making the finals because Giannis is clearly the best player in the East and with no Kawhi around, the Sixers not being able to play well for more than 2 games, the Celtics lack of size and Miami being too young, that seems like it will be enough.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

this is how you use to the trade machie

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Embiid not coming out when his hand was clearly bothering him down 15 was weird.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Masai should demand a nice ownership stake, get Toronto to make him the richest exec ever then tell the Knicks to gently caress right off.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Do you think the Knicks will hire someone who we laugh at right away or someone who we don't realize is a joke until May ?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Not sure if I missed this being posted but this is premium Serge and OG content. Serge being so comfortable being awkward on camera is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiIAUeraFJo

e: haha OG at the end

BWV fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 5, 2020

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I have crunched the numbers (examined the schedule) and have concluded that KAT is NAT a winner.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lockback posted:

Coach: Stephen A. Smith
Assistant Coach: Guy Fieri

Auditioning for the Knicks.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Knowing Rose, he'll try to send two of his friends in his stead.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is this the result of many players being free agents or re-signing last offseason and so no trades really being possible until winter anyway?
i feel like in 2021 when the next biggish crop is on the horizon we will probably go back to normal, maybe cyclical idk

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

very weird for a team full of so many young and cheap players and a bunch of other bloated contracts to offer a washed guy like Iggy so much money.

but i guess riley thinks he will die soon so he wants to get it done before going to "malibu"

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Now Memphis can flip Winslow to Boston for 4 picks.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

According to internet he did not have a no trade clause so why just outright give him an extension if you are already giving someone up? I get offering that money after he's bought out but if you're trading for him why not wait ?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lockback posted:

Miami wants to do something this year, might not have $15 mil next year, maybe wanted to dump Winslow's salary anyway.

I think I'm confused. If he was already under contract with the Grizzlies till the end of the year then why does Miami need to give him an extension right now, as opposed to like next month or after they see how he plays for them?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/SNFaizalKhamisa/status/1225251937374932994?s=19

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am very sorry

next fryer up

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Just properly catching up on last night's game, and were the Raptors really down by 11 with 2:30 left? This team rules.

It was insanely cool. The Holidays were roasting them all game and then suddenly they just started pressing and getting results. I love them so much. 1-0 in the Big Scarf era.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Sort of weird that Beverley also signs his texts "B gangsta all the time. Goodnight". Thought it was just me.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Keep on thinking there may be another Andre Iguodala who is actually good and not conplety washed but it seems like a pretty unique name.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Grayson Allen is def a fake name

The name you give yourself after getting expelled from one school for wallpapering Pepe memes on the library computers.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Has anyone considered saying Light. Years. ahead.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

We know you're reading. Re-reg you coward

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

not having Zach Lavine dunk over a rapping Denzel Washington on a couch is a real failure on the Bulls, the NBA, and our society in general.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ben Simmons generates insanely weird statlines. 11-14- 9 on 6 shots in 42 minutes, -13.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Rick posted:

Weird that Jonah Bolden is out of the league and not in fact the big man leading the Sixers to the promise(d) land.

Yea I was thinking about how many sixer players I know who go from being important to getting cut/waived/traded. Maybe the result of having no bench for two years is that every 10th man gets to be your 6th man for part of the season. Still waiting for Zhaire Smith.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Bolden has always sucked and didn’t get better

Who cares

The Sixers have replaced Boston as the East's official Drama Center. Someone needs to be the team where every transaction or result is an indictment of their entire culture. It's one of the redeeming features of the regular season.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i brag about a trade exemption and getting under the repeater tax.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

*sniff* This reminds me of a joke I once heard *sniff* A Warriors fan gets home one day and he sees his wife screaming in terror. Andrew Wiggins is in the house and he will not stop taking contested 20 footers. *sniff* The wife is yelling "stop, stop!" as basketballs are breaking everything in sight. Finally a buzzer sounds and Wiggins leaves the house. The wife, is weeping, clearly traumatized by the entire experience. The fan, though, seems unfazed. The wife *sniff* asks, "what's wrong with you?! how can you not be upset?" The fan turns to her and says with a grin, "well, at least we're not paying the repeater tax." [rubs t--shirt on face]

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Richard Jefferson on the Raptor pre-game get on saying "the Raptors are the champs until someone kicks them out" and I really think that is the high level insight we need in the world

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lowry likely out for tomorrow with soreness but the Raps have won 13 in a row and are also on a 10 game road winning streak. Amazed how Terrance Davis has already asserted himself as a hall of famer.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the refs are always up to no good but it's challenging to keep track of what everyone's deal is. I know some of them, including Tony Brothers, get off on not calling fouls on the interior (especially to punish home teams) but really love calling touch fouls on the perimeter. Some are the complete opposite. Others get pissy when their call gets over turned , both by replay and by other refs. Often you get 3 who have different styles all together which makes it even weirder. Refs are all cops and they conspire against good and honourable teams, players, and poster. But i'll have you know that like cops, their power can be overcome by grassroots efforts, and those with true hearts and generous spirits will always win out.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Raptors should sign IT so Serge can wear him as a scarf.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

There can be no art after Wiggins.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/michaelgrange/status/1226342555966672896?s=19

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

glad LeBron thinks as much about the 6th Man as I do. I always knew we were pals.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The racist cop is suing Masai and in the lawsuit it says the team should've notified the cop of "Masai's violent tendencies"

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapt...ampionship.html

BWV fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 10, 2020

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lowry is back but no Gasol or Ibaka (flu like symptoms aka who gets hosed up on a Monday night) so let's see Chris Boucher lock down KAT for win 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

nachos posted:

Sixers fans furiously looking up a Kendrick Nunn clip on youtube