Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yep. Don't think there's a team in the East that can stop the Bucks.

* Except the Sixers

Which will open up things for the other East leaders when the Sixers beat the Bucks in the 2nd round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I was looking at his numbers and I found it interesting that he has not hit between 30-40% of his 3s in a game since December. He's either less than 29% or higher than 44%. I guess you could call that streaky.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Happy to see Covington get a shot at a title.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Codependent Poster posted:

Sixers go all big, Houston goes all small. Be fun to see them go against each other.

When they last played, Capella killed the Sixers. Embiid was constantly stuck between defending Harden at the rim and Capella on the lob.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

I get the argument of keeping one of Ben or Joel. Joel embodies Philly sports perfectly and when healthy and at the top of his game can be a top ten player in the league, but I really do worry about how much more mileage he has in the tank. On the other hand Ben will apparently never shoot but minus his initial foot injury seems extremely durable and could be very good to build around if you actually focus on taking advantage of his strengths. I think he needs a tougher coach than Brett though, basically a Pop or Phil type.

While I agree that Simmons and Embiid on the floor together creates some spacing issues, I think that probably the best way to deal with that was not to bring in Al Horford as a PF and play Tobias Harris at the 3.

It's like the Sixers' approach to the offseason was "Spacing Issues? Spacing Issues? I'll show you some goddamn spacing issues!"

And I still think a lot of it can be alleviated by admitting you paid top dollar for an Embiid backup, moving Horford to the bench, and playing Harris at the 4.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/bball_ref/status/1224810035525701639

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

NotWearingPants posted:

While I agree that Simmons and Embiid on the floor together creates some spacing issues, I think that probably the best way to deal with that was not to bring in Al Horford as a PF and play Tobias Harris at the 3.

It's like the Sixers' approach to the offseason was "Spacing Issues? Spacing Issues? I'll show you some goddamn spacing issues!"

And I still think a lot of it can be alleviated by admitting you paid top dollar for an Embiid backup, moving Horford to the bench, and playing Harris at the 4.

Oh, Neubeck wrote about this today: https://www.phillyvoice.com/what-path-al-horford-being-good-sixers/

quote:

When Embiid and Horford share the court together, the Sixers score just 100.9 points per 100 possessions, a mark that is over three points worse than Golden State's league-worst offense this season. Every concern you could have on paper has been true in practice — they want to use the same spots on the floor, their outside shooting has not been good enough, and there are possessions where each player looks like they're flailing around trying to figure out what to do.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ghost Dog posted:

i still cant believe a team with two guys perfectly suited to play the modern 4 decided to sign a center to play PF lol

Yeah, but if you look at it as they signed a capable backup for Embiid it's not that bad of an idea considering Embiid routinely falls apart and misses time. He's barely played a thousand minutes this year. He went into the playoffs two seasons ago in a mask. Last playoffs it was dysentery.

It was an overpay, like the Harris deal, but they had one offseason to spend before the Simmons extension kicks in next year so they overpaid for players rather than go without.

But if the idiot coach continues to insist on a SG-PF-PF-C-C starting lineup it's not going to work.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I can see the point of it in “beat Giannis”

Too bad the team imploded before they ever got to Giannis

They get Giannis tonight

euphronius posted:

Rockets willing to ... take on ... money ??

It's got to be Horford.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Westbrook for Horford in an effort to appease Sixers fans who want a PG who will shoot.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

remembering the jabari vs. wiggins draft hype

lol, yeah, that's the good stuff.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Isn't the deal with Iguodala already done?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Athanatos posted:

Philly still has to move/cut 2 people today to make that GRIII trade work.

Probably won't be anyone that any other teams will want.

Jonah Bolden seems like the obvious 1st name, and then probably one of either Raul Neto or Trey Burke. But I guess Kyle O'Quinn could also be a possibility considering the Sixers never play him.

I assume they are holding off to see if they can move Mike Scott for anyone worthwhile.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Do it Sixers!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

big boi posted:

I need a Sixers trade, give it to me pleeeasseee

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

They have Scott’s salary Match and some really good second round picks

They also have JRich on a decent contract and the longer you keep him the less that's worth.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Fire Brent Brown.

I liked Ennis. He was at the same level as most of their other shooters (not good) but he got boards.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

Does brown have trade power?

No, but he stopped playing him which made him expendable.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I just read Kyle O’Quinn is getting released. I wonder if this has anything to do with converting Pelle?

Sounds like a good call to me.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Hey they're picking the all-star teams on TNT right now

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
LeBron is much better at this

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
But Lebron hasn't taken a point guard yet

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Giannis hosed up at the start by taking embiid/Siakim allowing LeBron to grab Kawhi and Luka

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
LOL at the NBA MVP taking Kemba over Harden.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

nachos posted:

This is bam and jimmy’s chance to recruit giannis

Jimmy doesn't want Giannis to overshadow his retirement tour

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

Weird that Jonah Bolden is out of the league and not in fact the big man leading the Sixers to the promise(d) land.

The Sixers insisted on playing him out of position as a backup 5 when he's obviously a prototypical stretch 4. I think he would be a fine acquisition for a team looking for a long big man who can hit the 3 that has the ability to coach him up on the defensive end a bit.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

BWV posted:

Still waiting for Zhaire Smith.

Zhaire Smith is only 20 years old, was always considered a project, and missed a year of basketball due to a severe illness.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

I got an insane amount of poo poo for saying that Bolden probably wasn't a future all star after he was drafted so me, forever.

Was the insane amount of poo poo you got something like, "Yeah, he's a 2nd round pick, nobody is expecting him to be a future all star you imbecile, you loving moron."?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Stevie Lee posted:

he had that one game where he blocked Aldridge like three times in a row, and that's the only cool thing he ever did. I still think he has potential for another team (or he could go be a GLeague superstar)

Pelle has been infinitely better and all he does is dunk, block shots, and commit fouls

I thought the coolest thing he did was shoot over .400 from 3pt range in the second half of last season. In January 2019, when he actually got regular playing time, he shot .462.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jonah Bolden never figured out what defense is, so welp

Kind of feels like more of an organizational failure there. The Sixers seem to have a long line of players who can't figure out how to do X.

Would Landry Shamet have ever developed into a playable/tradable player if JJ Redick hadn't taken him under his wing?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1225656977411305477

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

As I said in the Star Wars subforum im taking a break from that accusation

Sorry

Did you think this was the GDT throughout the entire game tonight?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I love accents.

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1225973468182798337

https://twitter.com/FurkanKorkmaz/status/1225991461600141312

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It seems to me if you are one of the East teams above .500 that is not the Bucks the prime playoff seeds are #2 and #6 because you wouldn't have to face the Bucks before the ECF.

e: oh, #3 too I guess. sorry, I'm high. but gently caress the #4 and #5 seed.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 8, 2020

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
My new favorite pastime is reading the poorly translated comments on the Youtube channel of a Turkish guy who posts Furkan Korkmaz and Cedi Osman highlights

a sample for your enjoyment (or not):

quote:

How many times I watched the video and watched it, I was glad as if every shot was shot myself

Furkan made me cry in an NBA match for the first time in my life. I seriously cried from pride.

"I made it rain" They filled me with pride morning and morning, thank you, pasha.

Halal furkii was one of the rare things that made us laugh at these difficult days.

Masha'Allah it is not possible not to be proud

I stood my lion, my king and if the ball was fouled when he was 3, know that it is the match of furka. The person who makes my day beautiful. Now is your time. I know very early, but next year giannis and lebron try to choose you. Nothing is impossible.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

The Maestro posted:

This was sick though, can’t believe he’s only 22

I was trying to bring this up a few weeks ago. Every time I've seen Adebayo he's been very impressive. I really think he's on a sort of Pascal Siakim course where he's going to keep improving by leaps and bounds and be one of the best front court players in the league in a few years.

Would be nice if he could start adding the 3 to his game.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1226601597079347202

The Dawn of a New Era.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

If Philly squeezed out that game 7 win against Toronto last year, I think they go the rest of the way. I don't understand this "You can't play Simmons and Embiid Together" thing.

They tried to address the Simmons/Embiid spacing issues by bringing in Al Horford to play the 4 and moving Tobias Harris to the 3. If that didn't work, what will?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Seriously most of the Sixers issues magically go away as soon as they can admit they gave $109 million to a backup center. We're not yet sure if that will require a coaching change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Paul Zuvella posted:

They are paying a 30 million a year for a backup center and they cant beat the bucks anyway so

I don't know if they can beat the Bucks, but backing up the best Giannis defender in the NBA with another guy who has defended Giannis well and also having the best 3pt defense in the NBA seems like a good place to start from.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 10, 2020