Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you go charging around in hyperspace without any coordinates, weird poo poo can happen and you'll find yourself some place weird probably without any way to ever get back to known space.

There's a reason why there's so many weird unknown corners of the galaxy that people can just hide in. Even bits that have been explored can just be forgotten over time and just be a weird little secret. I think there was another story where people going into hyperspace without coordinates found themselves in an alternate dimension full of angry bug people. Hyperspace is dangerous to mess around in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were a couple of attacks on Kamino, and also one rebellion against Imperial rule, but I think largely it was just cheaper to recruit normal people to become stormtroopers instead of growing them from scratch. Most of the clone army aged out of service as well. Age accelerated soldiers are not a good long term investment.

There was some interim period of getting more DNA donors, but nobody ever talks about that. Probably it was also a plus to not have the entire imperial army get bottlenecked through a planet beyond the outer rim, but if that was the main concern, they probably wouldn't have focused most imperial assets into one giant battlestation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are multiple occasions in the EU where Sideous sabotages the CIS to make sure that they don't screw with his overall plan, although whether that's because he's relying on the Republic or just the time isn't right yet to bring things to a close is up in the air. I think it'd be harder to wrangle all those corporate overlords and pseudo-free worlds in the confederacy than it was to control the military dictatorship he built within the Republic. There's also the whole thing where the Empire had a whole thing about human supremacy, although whether that came from the Emperor or just from the human-dominated military is up for grabs.

I don't think that the separatists could've killed the Jedi anywhere nearly as well as Order 66 either, and when he decided that he wanted Anakin to replace Dooku as his apprentice, there wasn't anything left for the CIS to offer him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember hearing about fan theories that Han Solo must be some kind of secret jedi because of how he could use the lightsaber to cut open the tauntaun, but then it turns out that you just need magic to find the crystal that powers the saber, but the saber itself is just a fancy chainsaw

Of course, in the old EU any goddamn crystal would work, so Luke's new jedi could use old family heirlooms and junk.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing is though, lightsabers aren't really monochromatic like colored LEDs are, they're white in the middle with some kind of glowing outline, however that works. If your lightsaber's primary color was somehow out of the human eyeball spectrum, there'd still be the shaft of white.

In the sequel trilogy they really went hard on lightsabers being a very bright colored light source that would color grade an entire setting with their bright, overpowering light, in a way that coincidentally lines up with one of the currently dominant cinematographic styles. I didn't really like it much. I guess I should just be satisfied that there wasn't an orange-bladed sith lord.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always felt like No More Heroes had a neat idea by putting a blade guard on. It also was more on the side of a technological apparatus, since it looked like it could just be built around a fluorescent tube.

Of course, all the other lightsabers after the first one didn't have that going on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it's a bit weird that the Rebels managed to get the massive anti-ship cannon but didn't have any heavy artillery for use against ground targets, but the plan was to just put up a fight long enough to bug out anyways. Maybe the gun emplacements could hold off some AT-STs and the ground infantry, but the AT-AT armor was too thick.

There was an even more obscure third type of gun emplacement on Hoth other than the dishes and the white ones that apparently in the EU was actually originally cutting lasers that they carved the base with in the first place.

Their only appearance outside of way off in the backgrounds of Empire Strikes Back has been in lego form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3vDAB47f4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, in theory with the force you could react faster than the speed of light with precognitive reflexes. Which I think it's implied that you still need force-assisted reflexes to block slower than light projectiles with a pretty thin implement.