Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

okay this might be a little out of scope for this thread:

In the prequels, was Palpatine always intending for the Republic to win, or - given that both sides were being puppeted by the Sith - was he okay with either side winning the war?

I think palps wanted to humiliate the Jedi by using the the republic to finish them off as a huge bitch slap to the Jedi, since the Jedi and the Republic were p much synonymous, so he put most of his chips into the Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

in the battle at Hoth, the AT-ATs shrug off fire from everything the Alliance ground forces can muster, even the big cool dish weapons:

is this because:

A) these don't actually represent heavy artillery and were never intended to win against Imperial walkers, maybe just against raiders or a local warlord

or

B) the Rebels' field artillery would have been hot poo poo years ago, but the AT-AT is new and substantially deadlier than prior walkers

?

(even though they don't do poo poo to the imperials, i still love the big glowy dish guns :3: )

I think it just doesn't have enough fire power, same goes for the white gun towers. So I think A is spot on. Like a .50 cal gun emplacement could tear a car apart or suppress soldiers on foot, but if you had a bunch of tanks rolling up on you, you're going to need something with a lot more punch.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I've seen the EC Henry vids and, tbh are those sleds stopping anything the other guns aren't?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Those ion cannons on Hoth and the ones used in Rogue One seem pretty OP. Just a few blasts and a capitol ship is disabled. Why weren't they used more?

If I had access to them, I'd blast everything, everywhere, all day long with ion cannons.

Edit: Upon reading, the large cannons that can disable ships draw too much power and can only be used with dedicated reactors on planets, or something. And Rogue One had ion torpedos not a cannon.

So rephrasing...why don't all ships just have massive banks of ion torpedo launchers?

And I won't bother to mention that in the X-Wing/TIE Fghter games, fighter-ship mounted ion cannons exist and like a dozen shots disable Star Destroys, Mon Calamari Cruisers, and other capitol ships...except I did mention it, though I guess those cannons aren't officially CANON. :haw:

From my experience playing TIE/Xwing/Squadrons games, it's either ion torpedoes or reg weapons. It takes a few ion torpedoes to take down shuttle, let alone a capital ship. With a coordinated strike and right wingmates ion torpedoes/cannons can absolutely gently caress up an enemy, willing your wingmates are coordinated enough to take advantage of the disabled starcraft. All in all, ion weapons are very dangerous given you and your squad know what the gently caress you are doing. I believe this is the case even outside of games.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

indigi posted:

well they don't exist outside of games so you're wrong on that count

You got me there.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

do we actually know it's an ion weapon, or is it just blue?

it took a lot more ion cannon shots than that in X-Wing/TIE-Fighter to disable a big capital starship

I think the ion torpedoes only went in after one of the shield domes on the Star Destroyer was popped? So maybe they can't punch through full shields on an impstar.

One question would be, how rare/expensive are those ion torpedoes? Can they actually chuck those around willy-nilly, or did Gold group spend half the Alliance's entire ion torpedo inventory to disable a single impstar? And how easy are they to intercept? Those Y-Wings got pretty dang close, comparatively speaking, before shooting.

That said we haven't actually seen a lot of instances of the Alliance going toe-to-toe with the Imperial Starfleet, so it's possible that they were using ion torps at, say, Endor, and we just didn't see them because that's not where the camera was pointing at in the brief interludes we did get.

Boring answer: Story

Sci-fi answer: Ion torpedoes are special ordinance. They probably cost a pretty credit when they're implemented, with a whole team of strategists behind when and where they're deployed.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

Since when are the torpedoes unguided? Ion rockets sure, but wouldn't a missile or torpedo by definition be guided?

I mean it's star wars. Lasers are pretty much particle weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

Blasters aren’t lasers, they fire a burst of superheated plasma held together by a magnetic field. That’s why lightsabers deflect them

sorry I was talking about turbolasers being called lasers even though they aren't.