Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

2 and 3 are not actually "mass effect" games, but some sort of michael bay esque adaptation of the sci fi book for 20-somethings 'Mass Effect' released in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"mass effect" the universe is at least a halfway interesting take on trying to straddle the line between star trek and star wars, with a dash of mil sci fi. not original, but derivative in an interesting way.

unfortunately that universe only really exists in a bunch of codex entries

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's one of the classic mistakes in writing - escalation before you've explored the material that you already established. how can the audience really care about the stakes if you're asking them to engage with a totally separate medium (encyclopedia entries - not exactly attractive to people who aren't legally married to their model of the enterprise-d) to even understand what's going on? why waste the worldbuilding you've done by throwing a wrench like a galaxy-ending threat into a setting that the player is not even given an opportunity to explore in anything but the shallowest depth?

it's because voice acting is expensive, if you're wondering

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

As much as I wouldn't wear gameclothes, they're pretty sharp looking hoodies.

i want an n7 hoodie but instead of n7 it's the alliance rank code for "extremely poo poo idiot"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

There was a need in the sense that stories need to have conclusions but fandom isn't about stories it's about immersing yourself in media stasis for as long as possible so a forever franchise where nothing really changes and every year or two you get a bunch of new imaginary friends to obsess over and buy custom emotes of would be the best possible conclusion for people still fuming about ME3 almost a decade later.

sometimes a piece of media has an interesting world and good characters, but a bad plot. that's often a sign that an episodic structure would have suited its strengths more than a continuous narrative structure did. mass effect definitely falls into this category - much better suited to telling short stories, maybe with a small overarching plot in the background.

episodic structure has fallen out of fashion after the excesses of 80s/90s TV with the heavy limitations that were put on shows seeking syndication, but there's nothing actually bad or outmoded about it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also what was the deal with those squidhead statues on Ilos.

they're the inusannon, i'm pretty sure, unless that's just a decade of fanon rotting my brain

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tulip posted:

Recently heard somebody ask "so why the gently caress did you never get an Elkor with shoulder miniguns as a playable character" and it just...made me so mad about all the squandered opportunities in ME.

volus in a giant gently caress-off suit of power armor

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The drell weren't exactly cut so much as they never were in the games much in the first place. Which makes sense seeing as how they're nearly extinct after the death of their homeworld and their new world being too wet.

The Elcor, Volus, and Hanar never seemed like they were really taken seriously as important parts of the galaxy by the writers. Especially the Volus.

drew karpashyn is a hack but he created a cool universe that the writers who took over after his departure did not understand at all. it's like jumping from 90s star trek to jj abrams star trek

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Apparently use of Element Zero was prematurely destroying the universe, which was a problem since any spacefaring race would discover and eventually try to harness it. The Reapers built the Mass Relay network and did their 50,000 year kill cycle to try to limit the damage done while they tried to figure out a way to stop it.

It still had shades of "we need to kill organic life to save organic life", but rather than Kill/Control/Synthesis the endings might have been something like destroy the reapers/destroy the relays/ work with the reapers.

so were the reapers like...everywhere in this version of the story? keeping one galaxy shut down is not going to help if the jerks two galaxies over are adding ludicrous amounts of additional gravity to the universe

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

I mean, is there any doubt that they named him Shepherd so they could have that post-credits scene in 3 where they had a small child in the distant future ask his grandpa to tell him about THE SHEPHERD. BECAUSE HE'S BECOME A MYTH YOU SEE. DEEEEEEEEEP.

absolutely nothing that happened in 3 was planned by the writers of 1. you can tell because the things that happen in 3 suck and make no sense, op

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

idk i kinda like the leviathans. the reapers had to come from somewhere, and a species of extremely stupid but very powerful mind controllers that gave the reapers vague, stupid instructions and then said "alright, now go solve all of our problems so we can chill out and pop a cold one" is as good of an origin as any

even if it's a complete rip-off of star control 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the reapers are the ur-quan. completely pitiless, driven to domination and extermination, but compelled to talk to the people they're eliminating and explain why it's necessary, in the hope that maybe you'll just roll over and submit without a fuss if they throw enough FACTS and REASON at you. they want the result, not the process. the ur-quan themselves straddle the line between creepily unknowable and dreadfully understandable in a very satisfying way.

where this falls down for the reapers is not that they are talking, but that, given the decision to have them talk, they don't talk quite enough. they're in an uncanny valley between the shivans and the ur-quan that just doesn't work. the talk with sovereign in ME1 was really good as a teaser, and you should have had a similar conversation with harbinger but much more detailed in ME2, instead of him just yelling about assuming control or whatever. the motivations and background of the reapers should have been crystal-clear going into ME3 so that it could focus on the war itself. this is just another result of the revolving door that was the writing department for these games, with none of the writers giving a single poo poo about anything but the surface details of what had already been written

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 26, 2021