Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Morinth was a really cool character idea and is near the top of my list wasted potential in the Mass Effect Universe. I've spent years being so intrigued by the way her dialogue half-heartedly teases the idea that Samara was actually the bad guy in their whole sad dance because of her zealotry and shame over having mothered three "monsters," that the stories Samara told about Morinth's evil deeds and Asari society's view of her kind in general may be lies, the letters she tried to send to her sisters at that Ardat Yakshi monastery where she speaks of the beauty she's seen in the galaxy and how she wished she could share it with them, see them again.

All the pieces are already there, but they just left them lying on the floor by making it obvious that its all just serial killer bullshit so she can murder you as well. She doesn't even show up in Samara's place to save her sisters! They already wrote two versions for if Samara died in the suicide mission or not, was a third with Morinth that much more of an ask? Such a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I understand why she likes seeing the whole galaxy and living her life better than being secluded in a cloister, but she's also a vampire serial killer, and that's pretty awful.

That's sort of my point. They wrote her as irredeemable and there was really no reason to do that, especially if they were going to include dialogue that hints that we might not have the whole picture only for it to turn out that its just more of her being a manipulative sociopath trying to eat you.

Its like they were ashamed that they even made recruiting Morinth an option in the final product, which, granted, its borderline out of character even for the most Renegade Shepherd and the quest utterly fails at justifying it, but why even bother making it an option if you were going to make it such a complete nothing, and then continue with it being a nothing in the followup game to boot?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jazerus posted:

volus in a giant gently caress-off suit of power armor

BIOTIC GOD

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I always thought Control was the best ending for a Paragon Shepherd, since you commit the ultimate self-sacrifice of dissolving your intelligence into the Reapers so you can take them over and use them as a force for universal good. Much like Destroy was the obvious best ending for Renegade Shepherd, tossing away any higher ideals or concerns for future problems to resolve the immediate issue here and now no matter the price.

Who the gently caress would ever pick Synthesis? Its so dumb.

Also

Pops Mgee posted:

The good ending was telling that stupid space kid and his garbage choices to gently caress off.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Horizon Burning posted:

why would you ever pick control?

tim: we can control the reapers, shepard, it'd work!

catalyst: yeah, that guy? totally indoctrinated. but not you shepard, oh no, you could totally take control of us

I'm the hero and Martin Sheen wasn't. Duh.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I came here to laugh at you

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

On the drive to work today I was thinking about that theory that Mass Effect using civilizations were creating dark matter and destroying the universe or whatever from that one planet in ME2, and the reveal of the Reapers was going to be that they were cultivating and controlling civilizations to prevent that. Then I realized that that would have been insanely dumb without some major changes to the lore because the Reapers creation of the Citadel, the Mass Relays and thereby encouraging sentient races to only develop technology along the lines which will lead to a galactic apocalypse the Reapers are actively making the situation WORSE. Because of the Mass Relays these races are almost certainly consistently developing Mass Effect technology much faster and using it on a much larger scale every cycle than they would be in their absence. Why are the reapers even allowing races to develop that far in this silly cycle of theirs instead of just using force to keep every species pre-FTL? Why are they providing the Mass Relay system to encourage every cycle to go all-in on ME drives instead of forcing them to either invent the things themselves and thereby make the problem exponentially smaller and stretched over a much longer period that will hopefully allow for a solution to be found, or find a totally different method of FTL travel that wouldn't bring about entropic Armageddon?

No wonder they dropped this plot point, it doesn't stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

The Klowner posted:

Maybe the techno-eldritch abominations didn't need to have their motivations explained. Maybe any attempt to assign motivation would have been underwhelming. Maybe explaining the unknowable inevitably leads to disappointment.

I mean, I was totally fine with just "they consume species to reproduce," as ME2 implied. I didn't really need a reason why they needed to limit themselves to FTL capable (and thus threatening) races, although I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to conjure one, or like you say just leave it an enigma.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

ungulateman posted:

for real though the kind of obvious livestock/agriculture motif (character literally named shepherd fights bad guys literally named reapers) that gets unceremoniously dropped in the second game so that they can make some hilariously on-the-nose religious metaphors (character literally named shepherd dies and is reborn, goes to purgatory, meets an archangel, so on and so forth) is then abandoned again in the third game and we get Glowing Small Child scenes that suck and are bad

I mean, is there any doubt that they named him Shepherd so they could have that post-credits scene in 3 where they had a small child in the distant future ask his grandpa to tell him about THE SHEPHERD. BECAUSE HE'S BECOME A MYTH YOU SEE. DEEEEEEEEEP.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lt. Danger posted:

the star child in ME3 explicitly says they harvest only advanced life to make room for new life to flourish, and they specifically harvest these civilisations because they keep trying to make robots that outcompete organic life

So the Reapers are all-powerful eldritch creatures that have guided the races of the galaxy for eons toward their own consumption by manipulating their technology and cultures along pre-determined lines... but are also totally impotent on the whole AI thing other than just destroying the races that invent them. Also didn't Jaavik make it clear that the Prothean's despised AI and stopped other races from developing it through force and their hegemony? And yet they harvested them anyway.

I think the Reapers might be dumb guys.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jazerus posted:

idk i kinda like the leviathans. the reapers had to come from somewhere, and a species of extremely stupid but very powerful mind controllers that gave the reapers vague, stupid instructions and then said "alright, now go solve all of our problems so we can chill out and pop a cold one" is as good of an origin as any

even if it's a complete rip-off of star control 2

Also whatever Azimov story the Will Smith I, Robot was based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

skasion posted:

ME2 has (or used to come with?) a DLC that let you set choices for the major forks in ME1 and then import the result to ME2

The sad thing is there are still some things you NEED to have actually played ME1 to see in ME2, like Conrad Verner.