Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the only thing that was frustrating about ME 2/3 was the opaque poo poo you had to guess at in order to make sure everyone on your crew survived through the entire series. i seem to recall that all of your squadmates had to best very best friends with your shepard or else they wouldn't survive, and also certain squad members could only survive specific duties during the last mission and if you assigned wrong, they just died.

then in ME3 there were certain things that could happen that would kill off a character that you would have had no way of knowing in advance - i think miranda couldn't survive her personal sidequest if she wasn't in love with shepard, something about moridin not surviving his situation with the krogan unless you had resolved certain things from ME2 in a specific way, etc.

i guess that makes the storytelling more organic and realistic because you don't always know the long-term consequences of your actions in real life, but damnit i play vidja gabes for the power fantasy and the feeling of control so just let me directly pick what happens to my imaginary friends without having to do a lot of guesswork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zoran posted:

Are you one of those people who sent thane into the vents because he dropped from the ceiling in his intro cutscene

i don't remember which person i lost (i wanna say kasumi or jack? one of the women) but i ended up going online and finding a guide which was a serviceable solution, so i was able to finish the game with a save that had everyone live.

but then there were still things in ME 3 that required too many specific decisions to be made in a certain order across 2 games that you couldn't easily just go back and change the outcome on a whim. it kind of made ME 3 feel more like a passive experience for me, because so many things were already decided (you just didn't know it yet)

anyway the multi-player was the best part of ME3 and i would have paid $60 just for that part of the game. i'm not normally a person that likes COD/BR/death math multi-player, so for me to get into it was really surprising. i guess it was almost more like a vermintide, where it's no necessarily you competing again other people, so maybe that's why i enjoyed it

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jazerus posted:

unfortunately that universe only really exists in a bunch of codex entries

i recall the hype for ME1 being all about how there was an entire universe you could explore and thousands of planets you could visit and then 99.999999% of them were copy/paste from like 1 of 3 templates and the only planets that had interesting content to engage with and explore were the ones that were directly related to the plot. ME1 was my No Man's Sky where the initial hype did not at all match the product that was delivered.

a while back i read something about some of the rough draft plots for what ME1 could have been and apparently at one point Shep and the specters were going to be more like intergalactic private dicks that went around trying to solve space crimes despite the official space police not endorsing them and space detective noir sounds like that would have been a lot more interesting than what we actually got.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sleeveless posted:

Ashley was a Christian

buhhhhhh? i'm all good with hating on ashley (although they put work into making her a thot in 3) but i don't recall her ever explicitly trying to evangelize to shep. granted i haven't played ME1 since like 2012, but where does start asking if you've heard the good word?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sleeveless posted:

Also for comparison the entire Mass Effect trilogy came out in less time than it took to make a single new mainline Final Fantasy, Persona, or Elder Scrolls game during the same period of time so for all its faults it stuck its production and moved along at a smooth pace when most of its peers were falling victim to bloat and inefficiency and delays.

yeah as much as there's poo poo to groan about in ME, at least it's a series where i managed to complete and enjoy all three games (to varying degrees). i haven't even completed a FF since 10 and definitely didn't enjoy 12 or 13 (although i am recently into 14 and enjoying it a lot) and persona has always been a series for me that felt more interesting to read plot synopsis of than to actually play. i'd put elder scrolls on the same level of varying quality as ME but ME definitely put a lot better effort into making me care about the world and my npc friends and making everything engaging.

OTOH knowing what we know now about the game dev cycle, making that entire trilogy in that kind of timeframe must have been absolute hell for the devs. it's no wonder they had so much talent burn out over the course of the trilogy, moving at the pace that they were.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RBA Starblade posted:

Did we ever find out what the Mass Cause was?

the mass cause was all of the crew members turned gently caress-buddies we made along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Technowrite posted:

Ten years later, Mass Effect 2 is one of the greatest sequels I have ever played. Still.

on the one hand i didn't like how it felt like there were far fewer options to customize your crew's look (since fashion is always the most important part of any game) but on the other hand it didn't make you hoard 40 different pairs of pants that were slightly incrementally better than each other in various ways, always believing that you'd switch your gear up based on the mission parameters but ultimately just picking the best middle-of-the-road option and never deviating from that

also the SMG weapon class was very nearly 100% useless so having so many of your crew locked into that as 1 of their 2 options was horse poo poo