Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sleeveless posted:

ME2 was the most popular entry story-wise because the dirty little secret of any trilogy/franchise is that the origin story and the epic conclusion are the least interesting parts and it's at its best when it can just tell a story without wasting time on those obstacles.

I think it's less that ME2 can tell a story without worrying about those beats and more it can just step away from the story and explore the characters and setting. The main story of ME2 doesn't get nearly as much praise as its companions and their missions.

And I think ME3 is a fine conclusion to the series as a trilogy. They could've certainly gone with a more episodic approach and avoided all the problems that come with trying to make a pleasing and suitably epic conclusion to the series. And they didn't really deliver that. But I think they delivered generally good conclusions to the subplots, and I enjoy the game's high-level D&D vibe where you're an insanely competent badass and just take victory laps until the mechanics give way to set pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Who What Now posted:

I like 3 and Andromeda. I didn't pay $60 for them, but they were enjoyable if you keep your expectations low.

Andromeda is pretty and has fun controls. The story is a mess, but there are moments of real wonder as you explore. I feel like if it got its story completing DLC it would be remembered more fondly, sort of how Dragon Age: Inquisition is much improved by the real ending.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Barudak posted:

Andromeda kicks off by promising you a plot and change in approach then during the setup to said plot fakes you out and returns to status quo. It was one of the goofiest things I've seen and knew immediately the game would be bad.

Oh yeah, the beginning is obviously stitched together from two very different introductions to the story. Why do you even stop at Habitat 7 on your way to the Nexus? Where did all these extra people who staged a revolt and successfully colonized a few planets come from?

But also, who cares? Here's a Mako with decent controls. Now you can jump!