Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pepsi lover
Jan 30, 2020

by Reene
I was watching Alaska: PD for the first time the other night and they were following this officer in Kotzebue, and I looked it up on google maps, wiki, etc. and it blew my mind. The stores are just like "Liquor store" and it seems so funny that there's literally one store of each type, but then they also seem to have their own DMV, post office, radio station, etc.

Idk, everything about that is just fascinating to me. I wish I could visit. Can any goons shed some more light on these places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I fell down a youtube hole once and ended up in a couple of these in the remotest areas. I think one of them is the furthest west town in the US or something. It's out there. Way way out there.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
i often wish i could sell all my posessions and buy gold mining equipment and lose all my money looking for gold in alaska

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do they have exotic Spanish names for roads/trails that are boring af when translated? :thunk:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One of the towns is called Diomede.

pepsi lover
Jan 30, 2020

by Reene

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Do they have exotic Spanish names for roads/trails that are boring af when translated? :thunk:

no it's weird all of the towns have these very proper sounding olde englishe names but all of the roads are obviously alaska native words

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pepsi lover posted:

no it's weird all of the towns have these very proper sounding olde englishe names but all of the roads are obviously alaska native words

View road. Tree road. River road. Taco road. :ese:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

i often wish i could sell all my posessions and buy gold mining equipment and lose all my money looking for gold in alaska

I did this and it was great, I believe in you

pepsi lover
Jan 30, 2020

by Reene

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

View road. Tree road. River road. Taco road. :ese:

you bigot

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gotta have a theme. I drive around SoCal sometimes that’s like every small town. :shrug:

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

pepsi lover posted:

In finland it was customary to mess with the surveyors when they came asking for place names. Therefore we have hundreds of places officially named "lake washcunt" or "poo poo bog" etc.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Been all over the Arctic.. The small towns are pretty cool I would say its a hard life winter time with the isolation. Lots of nice outdoors poo poo to do tho

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Everything is hilariously expensive in the grocery stores in those remote towns because of how hard/expensive it is to ship anything there. The larger an item is the more expensive it typically is. Here's a video of a guy going around one of those stores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQpxNFbDV4w

Some notable examples : A 24 pack of water bottles can be 25 dollars, a 12 pack of paper towel rolls costs 30 loving dollars, a single head of iceberg lettuce is almost 6 dollars.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

pepsi lover posted:

I was watching Alaska: PD for the first time the other night and they were following this officer in Kotzebue, and I looked it up on google maps, wiki, etc. and it blew my mind. The stores are just like "Liquor store" and it seems so funny that there's literally one store of each type, but then they also seem to have their own DMV, post office, radio station, etc.

Idk, everything about that is just fascinating to me. I wish I could visit. Can any goons shed some more light on these places?

No but I read extensively about life on an inaccessible Indian reservation in Alaska and let me summarize: it’s hosed and places like that mostly exist outside the rule of law.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A BYOBer who lives up there showed up in AI a few weeks ago and got shouted down for telling stories about how it is on the edge of civilization (driving his snowmobile without insurance or something was I think the flashpoint).

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm from one, our most successful restaraunt is Baja taco. A taco truck which was so successful they built a restaurant around it, literally. It's still only open during fishing season.

pepsi lover
Jan 30, 2020

by Reene

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm from one, our most successful restaraunt is Baja taco. A taco truck which was so successful they built a restaurant around it, literally. It's still only open during fishing season.

which one

i wont stalk you i promise i just want to look at it on google maps

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I've been to Glenallen a few times, my aunt/uncle have a cabin nearby, there's an ice cream shop that's pretty good.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I lived in a city in AK for quite a while in the 80s-00s and took many trips to such places to visit friends. People who live there spend their time, hanging out and socializing with their neighbors, working on their homes, reading, watching movies, etc. Most of the people I knew were in the tourism industry. They'd make their living running sightseeing/flightseeing trips, fishing trips, hunting trips, river trips and stuff like that. Otherwise they'd work on the slope for big oil or construction, or be the owners of shops.

Everybody knows each other and yes a lot of places have a single general store, bar/restaurant, lodge, stuff like that. Goods are expensive because you have to fly them in. Like one of our family friends lived in a lodge that in order to get to you you first had to fly to a lake, get on a floatplane, land in some other lake, then take a boat up a river to get to. Most people would make Costco orders that a pilot would fly in periodically. People grew/hunted for a lot of their own food.

Most everywhere has cell service these days, so CB radio isn't as important as it was back in the day. People still have CB though.

Gun culture is VERY different. In the lower 48, people who don't live in rural areas are proud of their guns and 2A rights simply for the sake of owning them. However in remote places in AK guns are a necessity. Like you could die if you don't carry a 12ga with you to the shitter and a bear/moose comes out of the woods.

Alaska owns and I'll probably move back for retirement.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I heard you are supposed to leave your cars unlocked in case someone needs to escape from a Polar Bear or something. That sounds like an urban legend, but at the same time, also makes sense sort of. Which is it??

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I heard you are supposed to leave your cars unlocked in case someone needs to escape from a Polar Bear or something. That sounds like an urban legend, but at the same time, also makes sense sort of. Which is it??

Bears can tear open a car like a tin can to get to food if they want.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It's less that and more that there's no point in locking any doors at all. Like everybody knows everybody's business. If you broke into my truck and stole something, I'd learn about it pretty quickly.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Picking up hitchhikers and helping people out that are broke down out anywhere like that is a basic requirement of living out someplace like that, and tons of alaska and places like northern montana have a lot of urban interface settlements where the big wildlife is a concern because they're accustomed to going down and getting into poo poo when food is scarce.

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

angryrobots posted:

A BYOBer who lives up there showed up in AI a few weeks ago and got shouted down for telling stories about how it is on the edge of civilization (driving his snowmobile without insurance or something was I think the flashpoint).

lol

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

angryrobots posted:

aww someone remembered me :)

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

it's not a rule you just do it if you're chill. garbage cars lying everywhere for anyone to use. there's nowhere to take them even if they were worth stealing

Pewdiepie posted:

No but I read extensively about life on an inaccessible Indian reservation in Alaska and let me summarize: it’s hosed and places like that mostly exist outside the rule of law.

it's rad, the gently caress do you know?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

good things about living in the woods

no feds
harvesting nature's bounty
no one likes feds
great weed
actually part of a community
until this bullshit, corporations weren't people here and money wasn't speech. we're like 10 years behind the rest of the country in hosed-upness. that article is old, it did go to the supreme court and now our elections are for sale like everyone else's

bad things about living in the woods

if you're some kind of fuckboy who has to have doritos instead of dried seaweed they're gonna be like $8. tendies are a rare treat rather than a dietary staple
no hospital, i will boil a needle and some fishing line if you need stitches. your illnesses will be treated with herbal tea and fish antibiotics
2pm sundown gets old quick
prime shipping is a LIE, half the stuff won't actually ship the other half takes a week. ebay sellers cancel your order as soon as they see where it's headed
monster jam has never visited, someday i hope to attend monster jam

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

owlhawk911 posted:

good things about living in the woods

no feds
harvesting nature's bounty
no one likes feds
great weed
actually part of a community
until this bullshit, corporations weren't people here and money wasn't speech. we're like 10 years behind the rest of the country in hosed-upness. that article is old, it did go to the supreme court and now our elections are for sale like everyone else's

bad things about living in the woods

if you're some kind of fuckboy who has to have doritos instead of dried seaweed they're gonna be like $8. tendies are a rare treat rather than a dietary staple
no hospital, i will boil a needle and some fishing line if you need stitches. your illnesses will be treated with herbal tea and fish antibiotics
2pm sundown gets old quick
prime shipping is a LIE, half the stuff won't actually ship the other half takes a week. ebay sellers cancel your order as soon as they see where it's headed
monster jam has never visited, someday i hope to attend monster jam

What do you eat on an average day

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Town bears know how to open car doors so some people figure they're better off just letting the bears in instead of making them break a window or tear the door apart just to see there's no food inside

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

PinheadSlim posted:

Everything is hilariously expensive in the grocery stores in those remote towns because of how hard/expensive it is to ship anything there. The larger an item is the more expensive it typically is. Here's a video of a guy going around one of those stores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQpxNFbDV4w

Some notable examples : A 24 pack of water bottles can be 25 dollars, a 12 pack of paper towel rolls costs 30 loving dollars, a single head of iceberg lettuce is almost 6 dollars.

Those prices make living in Honolulu look like a bargain, holy gently caress.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

kazr posted:

What do you eat on an average day

my default meal is smoked salmon/dried mushrooms sauteed up and dumped on rice. canned beach asparagus for the veggie. generally lots of seafood and deer, with stuff like rice and pasta and soup mix coming from group costco orders. potatoes/carrots/garlic actually grow super well here, peas and greens and stuff do alright so in the summer there's plenty of veggies and in the winter anything other than carrots and canned beach asparagus is kind of a treat

Maguro posted:

Those prices make living in Honolulu look like a bargain, holy gently caress.

the only people buying this stuff will be a teacher who will last one year, resource extraction surveyors travelling through, and kids after pfd

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

owlhawk911 posted:

aww someone remembered me :)

it's not a rule you just do it if you're chill. garbage cars lying everywhere for anyone to use. there's nowhere to take them even if they were worth stealing

it's rad, the gently caress do you know?

You live on an Indian reservation?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

owlhawk911 posted:

the only people buying this stuff will be a teacher who will last one year, resource extraction surveyors travelling through, and kids after pfd

Are you making toilet paper from deer hides or something?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Pewdiepie posted:

You live on an Indian reservation?

there is only one res, that we gave to some canadians cause we felt bad for them. we have native corps instead, and they own more land than anyone but the state/feds as national forest. and it's native, not indian. you don't know poo poo about nothing

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Maguro posted:

Are you making toilet paper from deer hides or something?

it's definitely that and not just part of the costco orders i mentioned

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

owlhawk911 posted:

there is only one res, that we gave to some canadians cause we felt bad for them. we have native corps instead, and they own more land than anyone but the state/feds as national forest. and it's native, not indian. you don't know poo poo about nothing

Well enjoy your thread. I'm afraid you know less about the topic than I do.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Pewdiepie posted:

Well enjoy your thread. I'm afraid you know less about the topic than I do.

please tell me more about how we live, swastika pewdiepie. doing it for decades has taught me nothing

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

pepsi lover posted:

which one

i wont stalk you i promise i just want to look at it on google maps

Cordova, it's gotten all fancy since I was a kid because now more than Main and 2nd street have pavement.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Alaska sounds cool

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

owlhawk911 posted:

please tell me more about how we live, swastika pewdiepie. doing it for decades has taught me nothing

Easy friend, don't fall victim to GBS doing GBS things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I made over half a million dollars mining gold at a remote mine in Alaska ama