Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

[Thanks to my good friend Square for the banner image!]

After Katamari Damacy was released, creator Keita Takahashi wasn't sure about making another game in the series, citing that he didn't see much fun and excitement in creating sequels. However, after seeing the significant fan response to the original game, and knowing that Namco was going to create more Katamari games with or without him, Takahashi decided to helm the production of We Love Katamari, which would end up being his last involvement with the series.

"I'm very honored that Katamari Damacy received various awards, and that it was called 'innovative,' but the most important thing is that people can laugh and enjoy themselves."
-Keita Takahashi, Director

We Love Katamari is a puzzle-action game released in 2005 for the PlayStation 2, and a direct sequel to Katamari Damacy. The story is metatextual, focusing on the King of All Cosmos’ surprise at the success of the original Katamari Damacy and working to appease the people of Earth, who have become huge fans of him and the concept of Katamari. As before, the King is far too busy to do any work and actually handle any requests from his fans, so it's up to the Prince to roll the world up once again. The gameplay is more polished but nearly identical to the original game, focusing on rolling around large environments and picking up progressively larger objects in order to create new celestial bodies. The improvements made were to enhance and expand upon that core experience, including being able to play as the Prince's cousins and adding additional accessory slots, as well as providing more environments and alternate tasks to the levels. And with the humor as sharp as before, We Love Katamari is just as much of a joy to play and experience as the original.

"It may look like I'm just messing around, but really, that's what's really lacking in games today. We're making games, so come on, we need to make [them] more silly and fun...I wanted to make this game something that anybody could play casually and lightly, even more so than the original Katamari Damacy."
-Keita Takahashi, Director

I’m LP's miniscule Prince ChorpSaway and I will be rolling you along as I show the ins and outs of this very special game. Joining me are my Second Cousins TheJayOfSpade, FutureFriend, and Taoc, who all have varying experiences with the Katamari series. Together we'll play among the stars and banter our way through the cosmos as our celestial king belittles us from afar.

I will be collecting and showing off all of the Cousins and accessories, as well as completing every unique level in the game. That's right, even THAT level.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

This post is reserved!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ChorpSaway posted:

The story is metatextual...

I read this as metasexual at first.

Think that's a good sign for this LP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This should have been ported to Steam. It is so much better over the first game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah nice, returning the Otaku Trash Machine back to its roots during the JordanKai era. Absolutely stoked to watch this one.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I recently marathoned through your Naruto LPs. I originally checked out half way through Ninja Storm 4, which was a huge mistake since that's X videos of your commentary missed out on plus some really funny staff happens in the end. Glad I rectified that, and I'm glad this new LP is here to enjoy!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Apologies, but the first video had to be taken down temporarily. YouTube's video quality settings seem to be having a hard time handling all the vibrant colors of Katamari so I'm trying to figure out a rendering solution that doesn't turn everything into a mess once uploaded. I will edit this post once everything's fixed!

EDIT: Looks like everything has been resolved! For best viewing experience, please watch in 1080p so that YouTube gives you an acceptable bitrate!

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 4, 2020

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

It's time to talk home maintenance! This week, we're taking on two planet requests all about cleaning up after other people, and thanks to the King's strict chore chart with the Prince we're more than prepared for the job. As well, we talk a lot about home security and all the different tips and tricks to leading a safer, happier life!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hell yes I loved your LP of the first one, definitely going to follow this one as well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You asked about what the Prince's cousins really were and where they came from in the same episode that answers it.

Clearly, the King just takes whatever children he likes as his own. He calls them cousins or second cousins simply because they are not part of the actual bloodline and thus need to be kept apart from the Prince, the rightful heir, but they are nonetheless legally his (because he's the King of all Cosmos so the law is whatever he wants it to be).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They are Katamari's that evolved and gained sentience. None of them have any parents and are apparently latchkey kids.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

You asked about what the Prince's cousins really were and where they came from in the same episode that answers it.

Clearly, the King just takes whatever children he likes as his own. He calls them cousins or second cousins simply because they are not part of the actual bloodline and thus need to be kept apart from the Prince, the rightful heir, but they are nonetheless legally his (because he's the King of all Cosmos so the law is whatever he wants it to be).
History suggests that sooner or later, the nobility will get fed up with that kind of behaviour and force him to surrender some of his power to a Parliament of All Cosmos.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FractalSandwich posted:

History suggests that sooner or later, the nobility will get fed up with that kind of behaviour and force him to surrender some of his power to a Parliament of All Cosmos.

He'll make the Prince roll them up and throw them into space for daring to subvert his authority.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Many stars were born in the Civil War of All Cosmos...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Don't worry, he'll just devolve katamari rolling authority to the barons of all cosmos, an expanded ranking of nobility which includes all of the prince of all cosmos.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

After spending all of last episode doing work indoors, it's time for the Prince to go and enjoy the wonders of nature! First, we take part in a little art nouveau as we work on flower arrangement and collection. Then to cool off, we take a dip in the lake and find out if life truly is better under the sea!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
something very charming about how the king refuses to do absolutely any of the requests until complemented, but when a dog wants to try and roll up the sun using the earth he's instantly in

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
After the last game, I thought I would have more to roll up and instead got some worthless constellation. Thanks, King.
I don't see the big deal with rolling up roses when any flower will do. That and gnomes and deer make great substitutes.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Alright everyone, recess is over and it's time to get back to class! Today, we're visiting an Earth school to show these kids what our royal profession looks like, to prepare them for everyday life should the monarchy be reinstated. Then, we join a couple of kids for an after-school treat, and they're not satisfied until they're absolutely drowned in desserts!

darealkooky posted:

something very charming about how the king refuses to do absolutely any of the requests until complemented, but when a dog wants to try and roll up the sun using the earth he's instantly in

What's so special about a talking human? We have to deal with them all the time. But a talking dog!? Now that's something to get in to!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's really weird to see the King actually decide to send someone to roll things immediately, without someone appealing to his ego. Sweets are just that powerful I guess.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The principal used to say "detention detention" back in Katamari Damacy, but he just yells like everyone else in this game. That stood out for some reason.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That flan animation was...unsettling.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Katamari Damacy is my favorite PS2 game, that is all.
:roll:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The king has once again seen fit to grace the world with his divine presence! In our first mission of the day we help an elderly man pick out a video game as a gift, and our first choice is obvious. Then, we take time to relax and enjoy community with a fireside celebration at the campsite. That's not all though, as we take a deep dive into what makes a monarchy rule!

Scalding Coffee posted:

The principal used to say "detention detention" back in Katamari Damacy, but he just yells like everyone else in this game. That stood out for some reason.

The principal has calmed down over the years, no longer feeling it necessary to punish others without due process.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oooh, now I get that Katamari is Lit meme.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That last level had the right amount of fire to please me. That does not happen very often, so I can say that monarchy does, indeed, rule.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Some fires are always worth starting.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

After a couple of relaxing missions, it's time to shift into overdrive! First, we have to head down to the racetrack and help a driver pick up at least one car, but things get tricky after the King makes some adjustments to the Katamari. Then, we slow down a bit and help coach an up-and-coming sumo wrestler mere minutes before his debut, making sure he's fit for the match!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Kinoko is a woman thank you very much :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The King's backstory sure went in a direction here, huh. Seems the previous and current King didn't have the best of relationships. Good thing the Prince is a lot more docile and this King may be a gigantic egocentrist but at least he's too lazy to be aggresive.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
No wonder the King was on a bender last game.

Odeko is that guy at Kennywood who denied me the best rides for two years because I was too short. That one foot guy with a four foot hat.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
As for the end of the video I feel obliged to remind people that The King of All Cosmos is above all notions of morality.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
hosed up that that one dude just surrenders the opponent that he defeated to be flung into space with zero input but...

David D. Davidson posted:

As for the end of the video I feel obliged to remind people that The King of All Cosmos is above all notions of morality.

Fair though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Woof.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

David D. Davidson posted:

Being the King of All Cosmos, he's the one that decides what is and is not moral, and throwing Katamari into space to create new planets is the most moral action of all. Even if said Katamari are actually living human beings that did not want to take part in this.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ah, I see you've unlocked the Best Song in this video. Dunno why but Everlasting Love is my fave Katamari song.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think they all are unlocked, except for a little one after doing the very last mission. You just need to cycle them.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think they all are unlocked, except for a little one after doing the very last mission. You just need to cycle them.

I kinda remember from playing it that the songs got unlocked one by one, each stage has a 'default' song and you can pick which one you want.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Oh yay, Chorps & Co. are doing another Katamari game!

I had this game many moons ago, but never finished it...

...because I didn't realize there were other screens where more people were hanging out with Katamari requests.

No, I don't know how I missed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

It's always work work work for the young Prince when it comes to Katamari, but it's important to remember to have fun as well! Our first mission has us meeting a cramming student who doesn't have the money necessary to keep his power on, so he needs a new way to study in the dark! Afterwards, we decide to take a vacation up north for an easy breezy sort of mission: let's make a snowman!

AltaBrown posted:

Oh yay, Chorps & Co. are doing another Katamari game!

I had this game many moons ago, but never finished it...

...because I didn't realize there were other screens where more people were hanging out with Katamari requests.

No, I don't know how I missed them.

I'm not gonna lie, when I was doing my test run I also forgot about this for a hot second lmao. Running around scared that I was being punished for not completely dominating the first level.