Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sorry for the glare

Now that's Art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

heh heh heh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
An American Tail as old as time.

Beauty and deceased.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
lmao

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
an example of trolling on tumblr

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Desert Bus posted:

I forgot that an alien pretends to be the Devil in TNG, I thought Satan only showed up in TAS.

Anyway, maybe Jesus/Quark. Jesus can try and save him from his sinful greedy ways. Maybe Jesus/Sisko get some hot prophet on prophet action... Hmmm...

To be fair, Devil's Due (much like The Child) is a holdover script from Star Trek Phase II, the proto-sequel idea to TOS that mostly got changed into The Motion Picture.

I remember some book that theorized McCoy's daughter marrying a Vulcan and them having a half-Vulcan child and that to me is the fanfiction I'd love to read, McCoy having to deal with someone reminiscent of Spock but it's his own flesh and blood and how that affects his identity. Cross-species relationships are interesting in that respect, and while I realize Torres and even Spock exist, it'd be interesting to see it from someone who's a bit more speciest on how'd they deal with it (though McCoy chilled out with that a bit more once the original series ended).

I also have just found myself more interested in McCoy as I've grown older, whereas when I was a kid, Spock was the alpha omega of my imagination. Dunno what that says about me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

To be fair, Devil's Due (much like The Child) is a holdover script from Star Trek Phase II, the proto-sequel idea to TOS that mostly got changed into The Motion Picture.

I remember some book that theorized McCoy's daughter marrying a Vulcan and them having a half-Vulcan child and that to me is the fanfiction I'd love to read, McCoy having to deal with someone reminiscent of Spock but it's his own flesh and blood and how that affects his identity. Cross-species relationships are interesting in that respect, and while I realize Torres and even Spock exist, it'd be interesting to see it from someone who's a bit more speciest on how'd they deal with it (though McCoy chilled out with that a bit more once the original series ended).

I also have just found myself more interested in McCoy as I've grown older, whereas when I was a kid, Spock was the alpha omega of my imagination. Dunno what that says about me.

It says you're a watcher, not a writer damnit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

gul dukat

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

"mirror universe Ro"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Star Trek But Extremely Anime And Extremely 70s needs to be more of a thing.

Yes, I'm thinking Space Dandy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Has no one done Gull Dukat

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Trek But Extremely Anime And Extremely 70s needs to be more of a thing.

Yes, I'm thinking Space Dandy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gonna catch a little poo poo for it but I am really glad John D Lancie never got a Q spinoff property of any kind. That is a performer who works absolutely best in small doses.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Carsassyan

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Come to think of it, an underplayed potential aspect of Odo is his empathy with non-sentient life, especially since he's explicitly mentioned and shown to take forms of plants, rocks, and animals, and at one point plays down his seagull form by noting that his amateur shapeshifting can't pass as a seagull any more than he can pass as a human. And he instantly bonds with a Tribble.

That might even be one of the more tragic aspects of Changelings; despite their stoic and control freak tendencies, they're pretty chill, if anything they seem to have a common problem with the overly empathetic- a LOT about Odo makes sense considering he grew up under Cardassian culture, and absorbed its values of law and order far better than most Cardassians do, combined with empathy towards Bajorans meaning developing a more idealistic value of justice. Laas is shown to be, it seems, overly emotional and expressive if anything, considering his shapeshifting to be personal expression. And it's said that the Founders originally were kind and idealistic but the fear and oppression they faced turned them into the cruel tyrants they became.

Probably some unrealised potential in ripping off My Little Pony again and having a particularly nice and empathetic Changeling as a primary character, a character who tries to get to know someone by literally walking a mile in their hooves.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The Founders claim that they were kind and idealistic but they're also authoritarian fascists. Nothing they say about their history can be trusted.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I still carry that The Founders did originally seed the galaxy with humanoid life but lost that knowledge and/or were disappointed and frightened by what they created.

They very much seem like parents out of their depth and unwilling to let go of control.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Isn't that the in-universe explanation for why most sentient life is so similar? There was a Next Generation episode about that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"The Chase"

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
^yep.

"it's not technically canon" but meh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cranappleberry posted:

^yep.

"it's not technically canon" but meh

nothing's as canon as TAS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

the jedi: gently caress em and leave em

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Jedi fuccbois confirmed.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I have a distinct memory of a Star Wars novel where Luke and Han were flying out on some mission and got to talking about Jedi Sex, and Luke is pretty uncomfortable about the topic, so Han tries to put him at ease by saying that Obi-Wan probably had a girl in every port, what with how worldly and mysterious and whatnot he was, and then Luke has a complete existential breakdown about how he knows nothing about the Jedi and how they conducted themselves but has the responsibility of rebuilding them and he has no idea how to handle that. And Han just tries to be a good friend and help him cope with it.

It was neat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Wars thread talkin about Star Trek and Star Trek thread talkin about Star Wars today

Pick posted:

nothing's as canon as TAS

The whole deal with Lower Decks is that TAS is definitely canon iirc.

Sanguinia posted:

I have a distinct memory of a Star Wars novel where Luke and Han were flying out on some mission and got to talking about Jedi Sex, and Luke is pretty uncomfortable about the topic, so Han tries to put him at ease by saying that Obi-Wan probably had a girl in every port, what with how worldly and mysterious and whatnot he was, and then Luke has a complete existential breakdown about how he knows nothing about the Jedi and how they conducted themselves but has the responsibility of rebuilding them and he has no idea how to handle that. And Han just tries to be a good friend and help him cope with it.

It was neat.

That's somehow the most star trek tumblr thing that's not star trek nor tumblr, it's always super interesting when characters actually talk about and question things about their world from their limited perspective that they have emotional investment in.

I feel like Mandalorian had a huge missed opportunity for Din and Asohka to realise that the remaining Jedi and the Mandalorian diaspora have a lot in common.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole deal with Lower Decks is that TAS is definitely canon iirc.

Everything is canon, including the Spock helmet.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Even Threshold is now canon again.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

There is nothing more canon than the Spock helmet and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNXNgc32Xt0

(I loving LOVE the wackiness of the '60s)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
back when tv was fun

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

back when tv was fun

And you could be good for goodness' sake as opposed to having to be some angry antihero. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Star Trek: Schitt's Creek