Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pick posted:

they're also really good at finding ephemera:

lmao ben browder, ok

I want a fanfic where Crichton and Bashir get switched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pick posted:

they just want everyone's wedding to go off beautifully

Tell me more about tumblr and Bashir

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pick posted:

That's probably going to require the most involved answer for the DS9 cast, and it's pretty interesting. In the interim, let's play a game: what do people here think tumblrs take on Bashir is?

I'm not a star trek expert but so far my impression of bashir is that he's fuckboy incarnate, however tumblr seems to be INCREDIBLY charitable to ST characters and Garak wants to bone him so that's gotta score some points. "Twink" feels too obvious for this level of cryptic, so uh secret power behind DS9?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My cursory encounters with Tumblr culture have taught me that murder isn't morally neutral, it's sexy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

this rules and provokes a lot of questions

like if it's super viscous, why would it go through anything like a urethra?

doin the piss math

Let's go easy on the vulcans cuz crude has a huge range in viscosity, I'm seeing between 2 and 11000, let's just say 100 mm/s, and being extremely lazy and assuming that it's 1000 kg/m^3 which is on the high end but it saves time. So assuming they got junk like humans, on account of them being able to gently caress humans, urethra is either about 20 or 5 cm depending on external vs internal, diameter of 3mm, and flow rate of 20 ml/s.

Plugging this into Hagen–Poiseuille, I'm getting 201 kPa for the pressure difference between the bladder and atmosphere. Human bladders will typically get up to about 3-4 kPa when you really gotta piss, so yeah the Vulcan bladder is a miracle of engineering.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pick posted:

tumblr rocks

lmao

what's the thoughts on o'brien, he seems to be the most divisive ds9 character on Twitter

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bashir's relationship with Garak vs Sloan is a fun one. Difference is as much that Garak is a professional while Sloan is just kind of a thug. It's pretty clear Section 31 isn't as good at the cloak and dagger stuff as the think they are; mostly they get by through exploiting corruption and leveraging the Federation's science.

Also Garak isn't his thug. Garak, operating on behalf of the Cardassians, is just an example of what Cardassia thinks is fine tactics, and Bashir can put that off as "that's the Cardassians." Sec31 is the Federation's, and thus their continued existence and operation makes the Federation, and Bashir by extension, guilty.

It's stunning how many ways a device that would have that kind of interface gets proposed in serious contexts, almost always having some sort of Star Trek reference.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I mean if we're going to go with that we may as well point out that the space travel was always navel-gazing and the exploration was always introspection and the aliens were always us. Most of the aliens in ST are caricatures of all-too-human modes of thought - the Klingon gloryhound, the Ferengi profiteer.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

showbiz_liz posted:

I love Star Trek Tumblr

Hell yes.

I see people make the point every once in a while that SciFi focuses too much on humanity's warlike nature and not our sociability, and gotta say, Star Trek has that pretty covered.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Oddly I've encountered more "100% unalloyed hatred for O'Brien" than any particular Keiko negativity. Which I also don't really get? O'Brien and Keiko have a marriage that is strained because scientific and military careers don't, as a rule, play nicely. I think they're both sympathetic and reasonable, if stressed, people.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

On DS9 I thought Rom was the relatable everyman.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CainFortea posted:

one of the bigger surprises in my ds9 watching has been that Rom apparently can do the technobabble better than anyone else on the station and quark had him waiting tables and kludging holosuit repairs.

This is by far and away the most blunt, slam-dunk case for Quark not being a good Ferengi.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

What's the deal with Sisko and baseball? I mean I get it in the present tense, he's really into a dead sport, and I get it in a meta sense, it's a relatable quirk to us today, but how in the world did that happen? The last World Series was 290 years before he was born, which is a really deep history nerddom, like being into hoop-and-stick or learning 17th century shorthand or something.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CainFortea posted:

I mean, people do jousting today. vOv

Yeah, that's probably the better analogy (I was initially going to go with Chariot Racing, but that collapsed a lot longer ago). I'd still call them huge history nerds.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Barudak posted:

I hope you're ready to read my fanfic about an American football obssessed captain

Hell yes, I love 17776 and 20020.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably better to have a hobby that's recognisable to contemporary audiences

I mean sure, it's really useful to have some Philip J Fry in your scifi, but there's a difference between "baseball is still an American cultural pastime that Sisko is into" and "baseball passed from popularity like 300 years ago and Sisko's big into its history." These communicate very different things about the character and the latter is pretty funny.

quote:

since attempts to invent fictional future-sports usually end up looking extremely silly.

17776 is the greatest fiction of the decade and I will not hear any slander.

quote:

Still love that O'Brien and Bashir get into the Alamo program to the point of building a miniature Alamo to make game plans, the loving nerds. Said a ton of times but some wasted opportunity to get one of the aliens involved, a Klingon would probably love it. (besides Worf of course, who was raised on Earth so it's no novelty for him)

Man I can imagine a lot of Vulcans really, really enjoying tabletop wargames. "It's like warfare, but follows a defined set of rules and logics."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

showbiz_liz posted:

Something I think you guys would like a lot are wellntruly's Deep Space Nine watchlogs and recaps. She decided to get into Star Trek after previously never seeing any of it, and solicited advice from The Community on a sampler of episodes from each series to start with. She wound up really loving Deep Space Nine and watching most of the series, doing little writeups of her reactions to each episode she watched plus several long recaps of particular episodes. It's really great to see the reactions of an absolute newcomer to the show as she gradually falls in love with it.

Zoomed immediately to the long recap of "Move Along Home" and was not at all disappointed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

wait no Lwaxana?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah but Lwaxana can bang plenty of people other than Picard (e.g. Odo)

Pick posted:

that's literally in Lower Decks. I don't see Badgey in any of the shipping fics though

tumblr largely likes lower decks, dunno why there's not more fic yet.

Looking at the list, the amount of fanfic seems to be increased by 1) age and 2) messiness. See how high up Voyager and Enterprise are compared to TNG. So Lower Decks may be getting less fanfic because it's more tightly executed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

sisko is the hottest trek character overall though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://twitter.com/oudkee/status/1362632935493406722?s=20

feedmyleg posted:

Not Tumblr, but I think relevant to the thread's interests: