Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Palau: Not really crazy about this cast, lots of forgettables. They didn't even try to hide Tom being the winner but when it's a blowout like that ("Oh! The koror!") and you have someone turn a tribe into a team, it makes for a different kind of viewing, and that can be enjoyable in its own way. Sometimes it just goes like that. This season is ultimately defined by the challenges, so many memorable challenges that just looked like fun. The most fun I had was trying to figure out which challenge was the "bah-bah-buoy" challenge I had seen mentioned. Every challenge where a buoy is mentioned, I was like, this is it! There was one early on in the game with a buoy where the tribes had to swim under this structure and release these bottles that kind of looked like giant baby bottles so I thought that was it. Bah-bah-buoy. But man, that last challenge was something. I've never seen Jeff look so done before.

Also, my god Tom looks like Mike Pence.

Up next Panama.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/gqb9iy/some_highlights_from_micheles_ama/

the EoE twist:

" its poo poo"

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i feel kinda bad for wendell now. i wonder why they felt like they had to edit him so negatively this time. was it some sort of lovely 'apology' to michele for the backlash she got in KR, to make her seem more sympathetic? because he was cool in ghost island and definitely deserved that win.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Wendell probably just caught up in a situation where like, people rarely look good in a breakup. Obviously he and Michelle had unresolved stuff between them. I think Michelle was probably kind of looking bad at times too, Wendell just seemed to overshadow her because he seemed like he was in a slightly more power position in the game and annoyed by her. But like that thing where she asked him if it was ok if she voted for him and then got upset that he got upset just seemed like the sort of thing when you're watching a couple argue and you know they're both kind of wrong but you know enough not to get involved.

And then Michelle got more time to make that stuff just part of her story where Wendell got eliminated so early that like his whole edit was the Michelle stuff. If Jeremy had successfully saved him or he had won his way back in he might have had more time to turn around his narrative/for the narrative to give him more. But as it was he went out kind of quick and all we really remember is an uncomfortable relationship with Michelle and Jeremy making it way too obvious they were working together.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Interesting that Michele has regrets about how Wendell was presented. As a fan of him from Ghost Island, I thought him looking like an rear end in a top hat didn't come from any of their relationship stuff, just how he was talking to other people.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Panama: Well Shane's insane.

Where did Cirie get this pink sweatsuit from?

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 25, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Survivor died for me the minute Jeff didn't have to battle pirates to make his way to the Pearl Islands reunion

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

Genrebear. :colbert:

For fans of Fabio from Survivor Nicaragua, enjoy this strange knife-licking underwear horror movie trailer for 1313: Nightmare Mansion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGW_RaHM9I0

...and since it seems thematically appropriate, for fans of Survivor Fiji have a little Lisi Linares performing her unforgettable single “Tightie Whities”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-S7h9YeKIc

I had totally forgotten that Fabio blew a large chunk of his money making this movie.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Is Nicaragua worth watching?

edit: The one season I've always wanted to watch but stayed away from because so many people have said it's not worth it is One World. The idea of the two tribes living together on the same beach is intriguing and I'd like to see the dynamic. But is it really terrible? Or like good terrible?

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 26, 2020

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

One World is a train wreck pre-merge and then a boring, but incredibly effective death march to the end. I agree the one beach concept is a good idea worth another try.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

clown shoes posted:

Is Nicaragua worth watching?

Nicaragua has a fun winner, but the series itself is pretty bad. There is one person (NaOnka) who is incredibly unlikable to the point she shoves one of the other castmates down who only has one leg and uses a prosthetic. There are also a couple of quits towards the end that kill the flow of the show (and visibly loving pisses off Jeff too). The winner is fun, but he's not the winner because he played the best game, it's because the Jury is incredibly bitter and votes against the people who actually played.

quote:

edit: The one season I've always wanted to watch but stayed away from because so many people have said it's not worth it is One World. The idea of the two tribes living together on the same beach is intriguing and I'd like to see the dynamic. But is it really terrible? Or like good terrible?

The actual "living on the same beach" part IIRC doesn't actually last that long. Once the tribes merge they go to separate beaches. Colton on that season is one of the least likable castmates ever and the fact that he comes back in Blood vs. Water is amazing (although his boyfriend is wonderful man who died way too soon :( ). The winner of One World is incredible and made the season much more watchable (at the time, I would not recommend watching it)

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 26, 2020

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Once I finish Panama tomorrow, I'll have these 11 seasons left.

The Amazon
Vanuatu
Guatemala
Fiji
Gabon
Nicaragua
Redemption Island
South Pacific
One World
Worlds Apart
Edge of Extinction

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fiji's fine
Gabon's a lot of fun
Guatemala is good!
South Pacific, fine
Worlds Apart introduces Survivor legend Sierra Dawn Thomas

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

clown shoes posted:

The Amazon
Vanuatu
Guatemala
Fiji
Gabon
Nicaragua
Redemption Island
South Pacific
One World
Worlds Apart
Edge of Extinction

Fiji is a fun underrated season with a former poster in this very thread! (Well, a previous incarnation of it at least) Gabon had a fantastic setting. Amazon is a little dated, but it’s a really interesting dive into early Survivor strategy with one of it’s most prominent commentators today. Vanuatu had the aforementioned Vanilla Ice lookalike who brought his skateboard to the beach as a luxury item. Guatemala had it’s moments.

Honestly at this point you could do worse than watching them in chronological order.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

BGrifter posted:

. Vanuatu had the aforementioned Vanilla Ice lookalike who brought his skateboard to the beach as a luxury item.

thailand.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Why wasn't Aras asked back for W@W?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ahh yeah, you’re right. Mixed ‘em up. :doh:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
People talk about early-season Survivor and how the game is different - is there a broad fandom consensus about where the different eras of the show's evolution change over?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I would say you could argue from Season 1 to Vanuatu the seasons were fairly boiler plate, some twists here and there, but you knew what you were getting with your old school survivor experience. You'd see similar casting archetypes in these seasons and a lot of the episodes had an equal focus on the survival aspect along with the game itself.

From Panama to I'd say Samoa they'd introduce more weird twists and stunts to be the hook of the show, from Panama having FOUR TRIBES (for one episode), Palau having the Largest Cast Ever (with two people booted before they even got to tribal camp), etc. Guatemala introduced the hidden immunity idol which in a sense kind of killed the focus on the Strangers Surviving and Building A Commune In The Wilderness aspect of the show that was so present in the older seasons. The seasons would still enjoy the flavor of wherever they were filming and you still got to see a lot of the little moments of people doing lots of non game things here, but it kind of all went away after Samoa and its heavy, *heavy* focus on the Hidden Immunity Idol.

They did their second all-stars season for season 20, and this marked the biggest shift in the series as now every season seemingly would have weird gimmicks that would be the forefront focus of the season and they'd rely more than ever on either stunt casting or bringing back former players. This is the time period of "a mix of every day strangers from different walks of life coming to live together" coming to a complete end. Outside of brief respites in Cambodia and the Philippines, they started to hit a loop of only filming in either Samoa, Nicaragua, or Fiji here, in all very similar looking locations. We've never gotten off of this train and now returning players feels like the norm rather than a novelty we'd only see every 3-5 years.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 26, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

clown shoes posted:

The Amazon
Vanuatu
Guatemala
Fiji
Gabon
Nicaragua
Redemption Island
South Pacific
One World
Worlds Apart
Edge of Extinction

You mentioned there might be stuff you missed from your list of watched seasons. Have you seen Caramoan? It's my favourite season; and South Pacific even though it's not the best season acts as a pretty good prologue to it, because of the several players from that season that returned in Caramoan.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

You mentioned there might be stuff you missed from your list of watched seasons. Have you seen Caramoan? It's my favourite season; and South Pacific even though it's not the best season acts as a pretty good prologue to it, because of the several players from that season that returned in Caramoan.

I watched Caramoan a few years ago when I first binged like seven seasons. Great season and location. Maybe next i'll do South Pacific. I think this list is fairly up to date now. I've had the Survivor seasons Wikipedia page opened in a tab for the last week while I've been quarantining (I got exposed to someone with COVID at work and have been on leave). There are a few seasons I started but never finished, like All Stars all the way back in 2003, Game Changers in 2018 when I did my first binge, and Edge of Extinction last year. I know at this point I might as well watch them all but there are some seasons, like Redemption Island, that I have no interest in watching. I really hate the gimmick of players voted out getting back in the game.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

clown shoes posted:

The Amazon
Vanuatu
Guatemala
Fiji
Gabon
Nicaragua
Redemption Island
South Pacific
One World
Worlds Apart
Edge of Extinction
Nicaragua, Redemption, and One World are just not great seasons. Worlds Apart gets a little ugly. Edge of Extinction has the Edge of Extinction twist. The others are pretty solid.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Worlds Apart is kind of similar to IOI in terms of how ugly people were with each other, but one player claws his way to victory to stop it from being a completely garbage season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like WA a lot in theory, I think. The only con is that woof, the men of that season do not do a great job of endearing themselves to the viewer for a while. But maybe I'm a little more tolerant of the stuff that happens in the season after Koah Rong, Game Changers and IotI.

It's hilarious though, some very unique personalities, almost Gabon-esque.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

clown shoes posted:

The Amazon
Vanuatu
Guatemala
Fiji
Gabon
Nicaragua
Redemption Island
South Pacific
One World
Worlds Apart
Edge of Extinction

Of these, Guatemala and Nicaragua are the best "regular" seasons on that list and probably your safest bets, even though neither would win any awards. Edge of Extinction is actually pretty solid too (albeit controsversial), especially after the first few episodes, but if you hate the Edge twist in general you may not like it very much. The rest all have either gross sexist casts (Amazon, Vanuatu, Worlds Apart) or really stupid casts (Fii, Gabon, Redemption Island, South Pacific) or both (One World).

I don't really think there are any completely irredeemable seasons of the show though, even the worst of those listed ones have some funny and exciting moments.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not even sure I can recommend Redemption Island, I can maybe remember two good moments from it. It's not even a good 'watch Andrea's first season' or 'see how Rob won' because Andrea did so much better on her returning seasons and you can see how Rob won by watching All-Stars or WaW instead, but with 'okay but in this season, nobody stopped him'.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Redemption Island remains the one season I couldn't get through and I don't feel like I missed anything.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it does however feature what is to date i think the only entirely accidental hidden immunity idol find of the show.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My favorite is still someone talking to Malcolm about how they're following him to make sure he doesn't get the idol, right as he fishes his hand into a tree hollow and finds the idol.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

i’m rewatching all-stars with wifevirus and oof. the sue/hatch stuff looks even 1000x worse in the face of the s39 dan stuff. yikes.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Panama: Is Cirie going to get idoled out of this? Is this where it all started? Terry keeps crushing the immunity challenges and he still has a HII. I'm so ready for Inshane and his fake blackberry to take a hike.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Redemption Island remains the one season I couldn't get through and I don't feel like I missed anything.

It's probably the worst season, yeah. Worlds Apart was really gross as well. Those two and IOTI are probably the top 3 stinkers for me.

At least One World gave us the Kim win (maybe the spoiler tag is unnecessary at this point), and Nicaragua had some fairly hilarious and satisfying schadenfreude.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll at least give WA that it had a satisfying ending. You could say the same for Koah Rong but I found it almost too ugly.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

JOHN CENA posted:

it does however feature what is to date i think the only entirely accidental hidden immunity idol find of the show.

Remind me what happened here?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Factor Mystic posted:

Remind me what happened here?

Ralph was picking up firewood and reached into a tree and was like

...oh there's an idol here, huh, guess I'm better than Russell

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Now watching Amazon and is Jeff trying to get Dave and Jenna to gently caress? He lured them to a bed in the middle of the jungle. Shower, wine, food. Like was the show that desperate for some sweet, sweet love?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You get to the part where Jeff encourages women to get naked for peanut butter? :barf:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'll at least give WA that it had a satisfying ending

Agreed, but goddamn some of those people were just awful humans. It was truly hard to stomach.

Obviously people like NaOnka and Sash on Nicaragua were super lame and slimy (respectively), but I don't recall them reaching like a Dan/Will level of trash-dom (although it's been ages since I watched so I could be mistaken).

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Zesty posted:

You get to the part where Jeff encourages women to get naked for peanut butter? :barf:

This didn't happen. Jenna suggested it herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Vernacular posted:

Agreed, but goddamn some of those people were just awful humans. It was truly hard to stomach.

Obviously people like NaOnka and Sash on Nicaragua were super lame and slimy (respectively), but I don't recall them reaching like a Dan/Will level of trash-dom (although it's been ages since I watched so I could be mistaken).

NaOnka reached that level.