Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If this planet wasn't so lovely and dead, they'd be able to forage, fish, and feed themselves wherever they got plopped down. In lieu of that, we just need them to settle on the same exact beach and each season they can slowly build up their gilligan's island and agriculture plots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That could actually be kinda cool. Stumble across the ruins of a camp from three seasons ago, turns out they buried some rice in a jar and forgot to dig it up before the merge.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
In that same vein, in David Wright's EW quarantine questionnaire he talked about how he went out there between his 2 seasons, found the camp spot, and buried a fake idol and it's still (as far as he's aware) there. Pretty hilarious.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SweetJahasus posted:

In that same vein, in David Wright's EW quarantine questionnaire he talked about how he went out there between his 2 seasons, found the camp spot, and buried a fake idol and it's still (as far as he's aware) there. Pretty hilarious.

Yeah, that was very funny. He said he and Adam went to do it. He said he was actually at the same camp when he returned for Edge of Extinction, and he considered getting it, but he decided he didn't want to anger the Survivor gods.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Shneak posted:

I'm glad they've cast two regular people from Toronto. I guess the pro hockey player didn't kill their Canadian ambition.

I wonder if they whistled the theme to the Littlest Hobo at each other, like you do to find Canadians in a bar anywhere in the world.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Or else you could mention Rick Mercer or Steve French.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Survivor SA season 8 looking good so far. First episode had it all. Over-strategizing, buffoonery from people who should know better, smug people acting stupid, and even a total boner getting booted first. Looking good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm currently in the middle of watching Australian Survivor 2016. My thoughts: I only care about Nick, nobody else. 24 people is too many, and even now in episode 10 when they've whittled it down, there are still a lot of people who are getting a Purple Kelly edit. I did spoil myself and see that Nick is the first jury member and returns for Australian Survivor All Stars (which I didn't see how he does), but he reminds me a lot of Rob Cesternino.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm currently in the middle of watching Australian Survivor 2016. My thoughts: I only care about Nick, nobody else. 24 people is too many, and even now in episode 10 when they've whittled it down, there are still a lot of people who are getting a Purple Kelly edit. I did spoil myself and see that Nick is the first jury member and returns for Australian Survivor All Stars (which I didn't see how he does), but he reminds me a lot of Rob Cesternino.

Probably being overly cautious using spoiler tags but since we have people watching AU Survivor for the first time in the thread:

When you’re done the season check out some of the episodes of RHAP done with Nick. He’s a fantastic guest and it’s a ton of fun hearing him talk game with Rob C.

Hang in there for a couple more seasons and you’ll get to see one of the greatest players ever to play any version of Survivor. A serious Boston Rob/Dr Will/Dan Gheesling level badass.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

Whilst the extra episodes/days does help with expanding on camp life/character stuff, the producers of Australian Survivor definitely still have their favourites, with some massively lopsided edits. Last season, there was players in the final 6 with something like 25 confessionals VS a player with something like 140. Granted, the 140 confessional player is one of the most captivating characters the show has ever had, but it still makes you a little sad to see.

Take solace in the fact that 2016 is a pretty weak season, with a bunch of non-players preaching honour and mateship (as seen with Nick's frustrations). Future seasons do a pretty good job of rectifying this, and AU Survivor 2017 is regarded as the best of the 2016-2020 seasons amongst the Survivor die-hards. Some would make the argument 2018 is the better season, but either way, you're in for a treat moving forward.

If want to be super ensconced in AU Survivor, Nick hosts the AU version of Know-It-Alls from the next season (available on the RHAP international survivor podcast feed) in which he does a great job of doing weekly recaps (which are normally blocks of 3 episodes). Shannon Gates/Gus takes over the season after (in addition to covering every international season of Survivor), who you've no doubt heard on Rob's podcasts if you listen on a semi-regular basis, who is one of the best voices in the entire Survivor community.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I put on the 2011 World Series of Poker tonight and ten minutes into the first episode it’s Genre Bear getting bluffed out of a big pot by some lady I didn’t recognize. She even showed her cards after he folded to put him on tilt.

I laughed.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
New promo for AU Survivor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH2CCHgooSs

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

BGrifter posted:

Hang in there for a couple more seasons and you’ll get to see one of the greatest players ever to play any version of Survivor. A serious Boston Rob/Dr Will/Dan Gheesling level badass.

This is so true - this player is by far and away the best all around player the game has seen, IMO. He's so good at the game and even better at being entertaining. If every season had him on it I'd be all for it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I pray he gets a go on US survivor. I think he has a green card so it could maybe be possible?

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Looten Plunder posted:

I pray he gets a go on US survivor. I think he has a green card so it could maybe be possible?

He lives & works in the US, I believe, so I can't see why not. Casting would really be doing themselves a disservice to not inquire, at least.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

SweetJahasus posted:

He lives & works in the US, I believe, so I can't see why not. Casting would really be doing themselves a disservice to not inquire, at least.

It’s a shame that Winners at War and Oz All Stars aired at the same time because having Dave on season 40 would who have been stunning.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Did a double take there, but turns out there is multiple people in Australia named Flick that want to be on Survivor Australia...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Did a double take there, but turns out there is multiple people in Australia named Flick that want to be on Survivor Australia...

Australians love Election.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I've never once met someone in real life that goes by Flick, but apparently so! (It's short for Felicity)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SweetJahasus posted:

He moved back to Perth last year with his family. As of his season recap podcast anyway. He seemed to indicate it was semi permanent ant least and I can't imagine the pandemic would have made him change his mind.

Edit: oh god, just saw he's about to Celebrity Apprentice. Lame.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 8, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Australian Survivor 2016 I can't believe we're getting the merge at Day 32, and there are still 13 people left in the game. This is insane.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Nihonniboku posted:

Australian Survivor 2016 I can't believe we're getting the merge at Day 32, and there are still 13 people left in the game. This is insane.

AUS 2016 is an odd season for sure - luckily for you the rest of the seasons are all better so if you like this one then you're in for a treat.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SweetJahasus posted:

AUS 2016 is an odd season for sure - luckily for you the rest of the seasons are all better so if you like this one then you're in for a treat.

I like it enough in that it feels exactly like American Survivor except for the whole Australian accent thing, but I've befriended a group of aussies lately, so it feels familiar. My main issue is that the characters who got all the screen time in the first half of the season are now all gone, leaving us with people who we're basically meeting for the first time since they had pretty much now presence in the game before.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wait til you see the godawful twist! (althought you might have already got there)

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Russell said on his youtube channel that contestants on Australian Survivor get fruit plates after challenges is that true? Like not as a reward, just for being there.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Normy posted:

Russell said on his youtube channel that contestants on Australian Survivor get fruit plates after challenges is that true? Like not as a reward, just for being there.

maybe it was just the first challenge, how would he know if it was the rest HEH

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Spokes posted:

maybe it was just the first challenge, how would he know if it was the rest HEH

Also Russell is salty as hell about his AUS experience because he is a child and a fool. I wouldn't believe anything he says and certainly wouldn't be listening to his ravings on youtube. He's the posterchild for delusion.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you look at the flags in later seasons, you'll see they don't react to wind and gravity like you'd expect them to on a real breezy beach. Fruit cups are only the tip of the iceberg, Russell didn't even notice how the entire beach was in a studio.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

If you look at the flags in later seasons, you'll see they don't react to wind and gravity like you'd expect them to on a real breezy beach. Fruit cups are only the tip of the iceberg, Russell didn't even notice how the entire beach was in a studio.

a studio with weird gravity?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't you find it curious the ISS is never once visible in the sky during any AUS Survivor Season?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Normy posted:

Like orange slices at a kid's soccer game?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Nihonniboku posted:

Like orange slices at a kid's soccer game?

Something like that. He was in the middle of ranting about the shortened season and worried survivor was getting to easy.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Normy posted:

Something like that. He was in the middle of ranting about the shortened season and worried survivor was getting to easy.

if survivor is so easy why can't he win it?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems like giving players a bit of fruit for some quick and cheap energy before a challenge isn't exactly some game destroying thing anyway? Especially with how physical a lot of the Australian challenges are...

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SweetJahasus posted:

Also Russell is salty as hell about his AUS experience because he is a child and a fool. I wouldn't believe anything he says and certainly wouldn't be listening to his ravings on youtube. He's the posterchild for delusion.

I seem to recall several people on the season saying he was full of poo poo about a bunch of things he said about his AU Survivor as result of his saltiness

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Survivor barely focuses on the surviving part anymore so whatever feed them like pigs and watch them throw up each challenge I say.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
There’s always been a bit of Hollywood magic to the show. Half the seasons they’re within walking distance of resorts and towns. A bunch of Survivors have talked about listening to cars in traffic on the highway while trying to fall asleep.

I vaguely remember hearing about one of the reward challenges where villagers did a tribal dance/feast/etc and it was the local equivalent of American civil war re-enactors. People dressed up in costumes on the weekend before going back to driving a cab or working an office job.

I wish they’d do more varied stuff like in Palau or China. Big Brother on a beach is fine, but I miss the themes. Give us another pirate season!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

Survivor barely focuses on the surviving part anymore so whatever feed them like pigs and watch them throw up each challenge I say.

There is an element of this, but I don't think it can understated how much food deprivation, long boring days on a desert island away from family and friends, terrible whether and being in a constant state of paranoia can wear away at a person. The 30+ days can dramatically affect how someone would otherwise play the game as a result. It's these reasons I'm not so quick to pull the trigger on the "just do whatever, it's not like we see any of it anyway"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
One of the things that Yau-Man's posts really drove home for me was the sheer boredom, yeah. There is just not much to do. Give contestants some food and ok they reclaim 30min of coconut hunting to spend on… absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Was that the posts he made here?

Frankly, I haven't really cared what he has had to say since his defense of Skupin's... online activities.