Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this season is really good, it's definitely helped by the fact that all winners means most of the camp is wise to everyone's maneuvering. Lot of high level play here. Reminds me a lot of second chances in the best ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Even if international survivor might logistically be difficult, there should definitely be an America vs Canada season now that Canadians can be on

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he's probably be first boot with how diminishing his returns keep going

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Where should I start with Australian Survivor, and what's the best way to watch it in the US?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I love this crazy stupid season. I also was able to relate to Adam's disbelief at Wendell just casually parkouring over the rocks.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I will say though I am worried about another Cirie situation unfolding with effectively three idols in play right now...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i can't see ben getting any votes against any of the players left in a final tribal council situation. if you ever need to read the room on how the jury feels, pay attention to who they've been gifting their fire tokens to as they've been voted out. i don't believe ben has gotten a single one from this method.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

watching sandra pull a jt was rough

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lukess1 posted:

I wouldn't say it was like JT. From what I remember, the last time the idol could have been played was that tribal. Sandra just picked the wrong person to sell it to.

well i guess she didn't write denise a love letter so it is different in that regard

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the only situation i see nick winning is in a final three with sarah and ben because of a) ben's horrendous jury management and b) sarah's very clear lack of control in the game being exposed regularly at tribal council. even then its tough. if he takes michele to the end, I think michele beats him because of stronger relationships. same for denise plus she has moves she can point to in this game. he cannot beat tony or jeremy at all. jeremy i think legitimately is the biggest threat to win. he's been on the right side of the vote every time except for when sandra went home, and all these times he's been exposed he still has not been the one booted out. its wild that he probably isn't going next episode either. tony has also been on the right side of the vote every time but im starting to think hes painting too big a target on himself and i dont know if he can maintain this immunity streak.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Funnily enough, Tony just reactivated his.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

we also get only a snippet of actual tribal council so if what we saw was at the end of 45 minutes to 2 hours of tony Tonying and everyone running around whispering i'd probably be fed up and snippy too

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Jeremy's chances don't look so good then, if he's up there with Tony, Tony saved him too much to get credit for much after that.

Right now I'd wager Ben makes it to the final because every final four needs at least one person you loving hate and cant stand is even there somehow

also because everyone else recognizes he probably doesn't contend for any jury votes. he's burned bridges with rob, adam, tyson, danni, ethan...i don't know what allies he possible has. maybe sarah if she gets the boot? the guy hasnt even gotten any fire tokens from any of the voted out players, which i still contend is a big sign as to who the jury is leaning toward (in which case, michele and denise looking like a big threats here)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Zesty posted:

As final 7s go, I don't hate what we have here at all. It could have had Danni, Amber, Kim... really under the radar players who you would expect to win an All-Star.

I really liked how much strategy we got in this week's episode.

I'm only just caught up today and haven't really read what everyone thinks yet, but... I really feel like every player needs to kneecap Tony for their own sake right now. Except maybe Jeremy who has no other choice other than to work with him and vote him out right before final.

I don't see a great path for Michelle or Ben to the win.

I so very badly want Tony to win.

i think michele could beat tony if its them and ben in the final 3. comes down to jury speeches at that point. remember she was able to convince wendell to vote out yul when they were already in an alliance together and she was completely on the outs tribe wise. i wouldn't discount her yet.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I would probably die of laughter if ben lost fire making to michele.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I definitely would not have considered Tony to be a potential favorite to win this thing at the start of the season.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It would however be funny to have yet another season where the winner and first boot was N. Anderson

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thinking about probst's comments that this is "the best season ever" and knowing exactly what type of seasons/players he tends to push/get excited for, i really hope we're not looking at an edge returnee going on a run and winning because they were a challenge beast or THEY PUSHED THEMSELVES TO THEIR ABSOLUTE LIMIT

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I mean I'm fairly sure a large part of the reason the Edge was used this season was so more of the popular Survivor players would have more tv time/a chance to still win and the show retain ratings so viewers aren't tuning out when Boston Rob/Parvati/etc are voted out early

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

I feel it would be a cool moment if they kept EoE an absolute secret from the main players still in the game only to reveal these hungry exiles at the merge as some rabid revenge tribe. And drop like three of them back in the game through a challenge then board up EoE.

please god not the outcasts again

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

This was a real fun season. Definitely the best season of the 40s so far. If we were to rank the best season of each generation of survivor where do you guys line em up?

S1-9: Pearl Islands
S10-19: Micronesia
S20-29: Cagayan
S30-39: Second Chance (MvGX was a very close 2nd here)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you make the jury you have the right to vote however you want to vote. michele was just in a real unenviable position tonight. she was facing two people that were perceived as driving the action for the merge and onward. She had a great story and a really good path to the end and she still played her heart out to get there, but for this season with this cast it wasnt going to be enough to earn votes, especially a jury of people that have all won the game before. I think one thing that has happened for her this season though, ironically, is it has done a lot to repair her winner image from Kaoh Rong.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

best moment of the season is still Adam trying to play the podium idol

if that would have been an idol it would have been one of the best tribal councils and guaranteed another season for adam.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

to be fair I do remember she was allegedly on the short list for heroes vs villains and caramoan at those times.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

michele, in the fans eyes, will *always* deserve second place.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when is the last time we had a no-goat final three like this though where everyone sitting there had a good argument for a winner's resume? the closest i can think of prior to this is maybe ghost island?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

>>We are bringing back Awful Survivor after a three year hiatus!<<

If you guys have ever wanted to see how you'd fare, this is a great opportunity, and also a real fun experience! Cash prizes, free food, new friendships, there's much to be had playing this game! We're accepting signups now, expecting to launch at the beginning of June.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Philthy posted:

Tony didn't dominate anything. He ended up in a good alliance. That's it. He made one single move to vote someone out, and it wasn't even a good one. He simply did it because he fell into the usual "I heard my name come up from you, so now I must be bull-headed and vote you out." which almost lost his trust with Sarah. He wasn't voted against because he wasn't a threat to anyone. He was the jester, not the player. He made a single good call about Natalie possibly having an idol and it was the only time anything he brought up made any sense and was right about. He was blown off because, again, no one took him seriously of felt he was a legitimate player. 90% of Tony was his alliance.

That mental pressure is a distraction. It makes time go by faster. EoE had none of that, it was pure misery. And those challenges were hardcore compared to anything the other side had. I would still believe fully the real test of Survivor was surviving EoE. It seemed to me way worse off, and Natalie was there from it's beginning to its end.

Being on the inside is as much competitive and cooperative than EoE was. No one knew she had so many tokens, or all the other stuff she did. I think she worked with Parv on these, but everyone else didn't seem to know about it. Since she got voted out first. First votes are token votes that are generally completely random. It was no fault of her own. I would argue Tony never got to even play the game fully because he never made it to EoE. I am wondering if we even saw the same show or not. EoE was a huge deal.

Also, Natalie did have a nearly perfect game when she returned. She had enough tokens for immunity and got to draw out two MORE immunity tokens. She then went on to win ANOTHER immunity. She not only found cracks, she knocked the entire drat wall down when she returned. Her only mistake is that she maybe should have said the jury all thought Ben was the winner instead of Tony. But everyone knew Tony was paranoid, so he was easier to exploit.

Rob upset she didn't make fire against Tony is ridiculous. She won the immunity so that she didn't have to.

source you're quotes

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

chris really did set that bar quite high on how to play as an edge returnee

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dugong posted:

Anyone watched survivor South Africa or NZ? I need something to distract me right now and survivor seems to hit the spot.

Season 2 of NZ is by all reports great and worth going out of your way for, but the show got canceled so that's it for that one.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Now I kind of want to see a bunch of seasons where each cast is just given the ruins of the previous cast and we see what comes of it after a few generations.

i think i remember an interview where people on the beauty tribe on cagayan found remnants of stuff from the redemption island set of Blood vs Water at their camp

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Spokes posted:

Imagining someone going during the offseason when nothing is filming and burying matches or food or something like people who bury drugs on the lots they hold edm festivals in

aras and shane found coke off their tribe camp in panama

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Spokes posted:

e: as far as what to avoid, if you've already seen Heroes vs Villains you can skip Samoa, Island of the Idols was very marred and not good anyway. Redemption Island and One World are okay if you want to see someone just stomp the game.
just as a foreshadowing, you will know who the winner of the season is midway through the first episode of each season and the edit doesnt even pretend to be subtle about who it may be.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Echoing that Pearl Islands, Cook Islands, and China are great.

Gabon is one of my favourite seasons. It's not a *great Survivor season*, exactly, but it's got a really fun cast that gently caress up in spectacular ways and have completely baffling relationships.
Translation: it's a schaudenfreude season

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I'm watchin 2017 aussie survivor and I honestly love this cast. I think a big part of it is the longer episodes lending to us getting to know them better.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Stokes posted:

That's 2016. 2017 is the I'M SORRY ANNELISE... season. Spoiled in case the guy hasn't gotten that far yet.

i just got to this part and completely cracked up. this has been such a tremendous cast. i was surprised at one particular early boot here, but its a fun ride still.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

2017 Australian Survivor was a great season. What a great cast. Without question a top 5 survivor season (even if the non elimination episodes are a bit tedious, they are good for fleshing out the relationships and story telling.) The US edition needs to import Luke asap.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I would say you could argue from Season 1 to Vanuatu the seasons were fairly boiler plate, some twists here and there, but you knew what you were getting with your old school survivor experience. You'd see similar casting archetypes in these seasons and a lot of the episodes had an equal focus on the survival aspect along with the game itself.

From Panama to I'd say Samoa they'd introduce more weird twists and stunts to be the hook of the show, from Panama having FOUR TRIBES (for one episode), Palau having the Largest Cast Ever (with two people booted before they even got to tribal camp), etc. Guatemala introduced the hidden immunity idol which in a sense kind of killed the focus on the Strangers Surviving and Building A Commune In The Wilderness aspect of the show that was so present in the older seasons. The seasons would still enjoy the flavor of wherever they were filming and you still got to see a lot of the little moments of people doing lots of non game things here, but it kind of all went away after Samoa and its heavy, *heavy* focus on the Hidden Immunity Idol.

They did their second all-stars season for season 20, and this marked the biggest shift in the series as now every season seemingly would have weird gimmicks that would be the forefront focus of the season and they'd rely more than ever on either stunt casting or bringing back former players. This is the time period of "a mix of every day strangers from different walks of life coming to live together" coming to a complete end. Outside of brief respites in Cambodia and the Philippines, they started to hit a loop of only filming in either Samoa, Nicaragua, or Fiji here, in all very similar looking locations. We've never gotten off of this train and now returning players feels like the norm rather than a novelty we'd only see every 3-5 years.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 26, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it does however feature what is to date i think the only entirely accidental hidden immunity idol find of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

unfortunately it did lead to jenna vs sharmell in TNA so i consider the experience a net negative for global karma