Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

SweetJahasus posted:

Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

I've never really listened outside of maybe an episode or two years ago. Are there any past episodes or interviewees that are particularly interesting or insightful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I just found out this existed, and... they're letting Boston Rob and Amber back at the same time? One of those two literally has to be the first person voted out unless the rest of the cast is all secretly incompetent morons, right?

Yes, but, pre-game alliances exist (Rob set the precedent for that with All-Stars), there's Edge of Extinction (so no one is really "gone" once voted out), and they're getting paid substantial appearance fees just for showing up so it's not a huge deal if they are voted out quickly (Rob assuredly getting the most of anyone).

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

I haven't watched survivor in at least 6 or 7 seasons but I'm sorely tempted to come back for this one. Really pissed off they didn't bring Cochran back though.

He basically played a perfect game. Good for him -- go out on a high note rather than ruin your legacy.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

... and Kim just kind of melted down (and basically admitted it was because she had never played from a position of vulnerability).

She's rightfully paying the price for that run to the title in "One World". What an abhorrent cast that was. She was never challenged and essentially just assumed a position of power since no one wanted it. She was playing against people who were told they were voting out and just sat back and accepted it. It's arguably the easiest cakewalk, up there with Rob's win. At least he's showing an ability to adapt (but has played more than anyone so it's not a huge credit).

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mirotic posted:

If the season keeps this up, it might tie HvV (although there's no Russell to destroy at the end... yet).

derp posted:

I have seen most seasons and actually just finished watching Heroes versus Villains ...

Could this season be as good?

FWIW, Jeff is on record saying it's better than "HvV". That doesn't necessarily mean anything, since he's banged the drum for seasons in the past that ended up being dreadful.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Some cool tidbits from Gordon Holmes of things not shown during the episode:

https://twitter.com/GordonHolmes/status/1227783305208254466

https://twitter.com/GordonHolmes/status/1227776215160889346

https://twitter.com/GordonHolmes/status/1227761099266756609

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

All we know is that he was approached but turned it down. He has gone on record in the past to say that he would never play again because he already had a perfect win and he wants to preserve that since he'd only do worse if he went back.

Good on Cochran for this. While I'm sure he has some regrets for at least not throwing his hat in the ring (especially with a $2m prize), he did indeed play a perfect game to get that win, and in a season with returnees and supposed hardcore fans (but likely just recruits like every other season) at that.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

CODChimera posted:

I can't remember, what was wrong with Fabio and Nicaragua?

Nothing is really wrong with Fabio as a person and in fact he seemed like a lovable doofus. It's as if Jeff Spicoli played "Survivor" and stumbled his way to a win.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Aerox posted:

Part of it is very likely that Jeff ended up dating Julie Berry from that season, and Chris was the swing vote who lied to them and then took out Julie at Final Five, so I imagine Julie was not a fan of him at all even though she ultimately voted for him to win.

It's highly likely that this wasn't "part of it" and rather was "the entire reason why" Jeff disliked Chris.

SweetJahasus posted:

Yeah I think whomever was saying they don't see the upside of Russell is forgetting what a shot in the arm he was for the series when s19 and 20 aired. He was great tv, despite being a shitheel in real life and he literally changed how survivor has been played. All that said, I dislike the guy, but he was great on his first two seasons.

Yep. Russell was voted the Sprint player of the season for both S19 and S20, the latter having a number of other fan favorites, such as Rupert who won it in "All-Stars". It may not mean all that much in Samoa, but that's a big feather in the cap for S20.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Adus posted:

it would definitely kill the "rob isn't actually very good and only won RI because he was surrounded by goats" argument. i really don't understand how he's still here.

I wouldn't claim Rob isn't good at the game (he's one of the best), but I'm leading the charge on the "only won RI because he was surrounded by goats" argument for sure. That said, if he pulls this one off, he is beyond reproach and unquestionably the best to ever play by a wide margin.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Fiji had the same ethnic breakdown as Cook Islands did!

It was supposed to be what Cook Islands was, but one woman dropped out literally at the last second (the night before) due to a panic attack and they didn't have a replacement ready so they just scrapped it.

STAC Goat posted:

The only lasting problem is casting Candace as a "Hero". She literally started a mutiny!

Mutiny aside, there's nothing heroic about her. The fact that she was cast yet again remains almost as much of a mystery as being cast the second time (and looking like a complete fool in that second iteration).

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I can't believe Matty hasn't been back. He would have been a great fit for "Second Chances". Dude was so endearing, like a little kid just having fun all the time.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Big Taint posted:

Randy is awesome, he leans into being a dickhead so hard.

I don't remember the specifics of the conversation, but the scene in Gabon where he's talking to Matty and really leaning into it and discussing about how much he hates everyone and can't fake it like Matty can, and for a second Randy breaks and just can't keep up the charade... hilarious.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shneak posted:

Oh my god I'm just now getting Tyson's firewood joke at the end.

I didn't perceive it as a joke as much as he was genuinely impressed by all of the firewood they had, and their reactions had him puzzled.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Zesty posted:

Monica’s tribe threw that challenge to get rid of her in Second Chances.

Edit: Nevermind I'm thinking of the wrong Monica.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Yul is organizing a fund raiser for ALS: https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/fjg638/im_asking_the_reddit_community_to_help_jonathan/

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Think Sandra contemplates raises the sail on Extinction? There's no sit out bench over there, and she knows she has zero chance of winning her way back in with anything physical.

Also kind of ironic that a player brought back to be a mentor to new players makes a mistake like that. Denise adding the "one first, then one after" caveat didn't set off alarm bells?

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 19, 2020

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Yul was boring as gently caress on his first season and continues to be incredibly boring this season

I'm sure Yul (and the ALS fund he's playing for) couldn't care less if you're entertained by him if he wins the $2 million by playing a "boring" game again.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Max posted:

I do think Sandra was legit bothered by Rob lying to her about returning for season 40 during their time on IoI, and wonder if she was staring down the barrel of having to be with him on top of simply never being someone who could win a challenge.

This assumes that the whole "I can't believe he didn't tell me he was coming back!" thing is legit, which I doubt. She's not that great of an actress and was trying to sell it way too hard in the early episodes. Absent a scene where she confronts him, either on EoE (which I imagine they'd have shown if it happened) or at the reunion or whatever, I'm of the belief that it was shtick.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sandra was certainly well compensated for her appearances in both seasons, and I doubt the appearance fee for S40 required her to participate on EoE.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Edit: Got the answer.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 8, 2020

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Adus posted:

i was thinking this as well. would have been hilarious if he took it away like 5 seconds after giving it to them. or like, not let nick have any because he ended the challenge by stepping out and jeff clearly stated they could eat as long as the challenge went.

i'm curious how much time they actually got.

They brought this up on RHAP and there's still yet to be an explanation. Jeff clearly said that the people who dropped out could eat the PB & cookies until the challenge was over. Kim was the only one who was able to actually even get to Jeff before the challenge ended, so why did the others get to eat, and for how long were they allowed to eat? I suppose if there weren't a ban on players commenting about the game, we'd be able to know the answer, so I guess we have to wait until the season is over and they start doing interviews / AMAs.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Zesty posted:

They might accidentally need to use more footage of the actual season to cover up lost reunion time.

Won't you miss out on those fantastic "Jeff in the audience" segments, such as when he asks an 8 year old child, paralyzed with fear to be speaking in front of a studio and television audience, some meaningless question with no relevance at all, to which said child can barely muster a reply?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Genuinely baffled by the people who think Tony didn't deserve to win, particularly those advocating for Michele.

The dude played a flawless game, even more impressively because he came in with the legacy of someone that should not have been allowed to control the game as he did.

Zero votes against him. Four individual immunity wins. Idol finds.

It arguably could have been 16-0 if not for Natalie receiving votes from her EoE BFFs (Parv, Ethan, Tyson) and real life BFF (Jeremy).

Rob's win in Redemption Island previously held the title of most dominant win but was skewed by the abysmal caliber of the competition. Tony surpassed it against all winners!

G O A T.

Shneak posted:

Guessing 12 - 4 - 0 for Tony.

Good call, dude.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Dugong posted:

Yeah in retrospect it’s very odd the Sophie vote wasn’t brought up. Also was Sophie alright? She looked really ill at final tribal.

She was ill the tribal before that and didn't even show up for it (a first in the history of the show that I recall where a juror missed a tribal).

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sure thing, Michele. At least you / they acknowledge that the right person won.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Adus posted:

it's hard for me to wrap my head around anyone wanting a natalie win.

It was the second preference to me next to a Tony win (which was absurdly higher in terms of comparison) just for the idea of seeing the absolute pandemonium it would have caused. Probst is comically over defensive and stubborn, thinking that his ideas are gospel and beyond reproach. He had already taken a "you're all wrong when you say it's a terrible idea, but fine, I'll take my ball and go home if you hate it so much" approach to EoE in general even before this season aired, but seeing his reaction when it would have ruined an all winners season.... I can't imagine. That, and I had visions of Photoshopping him onto Fonzie for a "Jump the Shark" meme, because that's what it would have been had Natalie won.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

If anything, Natalie losing further shows how impressive Chris' win on Edge was.

I'm in on this, too. Obviously different season, different competition, etc., but that goes without saying.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I wonder if the same people arguing about this jury's voting decisions were on the same or opposite side of the same argument from ten years ago when it pertained to Russell?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Gabon is one of my favourite seasons. It's not a *great Survivor season*, exactly, but it's got a really fun cast that gently caress up in spectacular ways and have completely baffling relationships.

It's worth it just to find out the origins / context of "that reaction GIF".

That and the elephants are pretty cool.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I'm still legitimately curious why the S39 cast were constantly drumming the "don't sleep on 39!" mantra in the lead up. Like, were they serious about that? It's unquestionably bottom tier and possibly the worst season in the history of the show, and it's not like it was edited to be that way.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Vernacular posted:

Agreed, but goddamn some of those people were just awful humans. It was truly hard to stomach.

Obviously people like NaOnka and Sash on Nicaragua were super lame and slimy (respectively), but I don't recall them reaching like a Dan/Will level of trash-dom (although it's been ages since I watched so I could be mistaken).

NaOnka reached that level.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

While she didn't win, Tina did come back for BvW and made it very far, which is probably the best result that someone from the early season not named Rob or Sandra has done.

Skupin made the F3 in his return season.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Apparently Jenna Lewis has a podcast, and in like episode 46 she revealed that Kelly Wigglesworth in season 1 was caught loving one of the cameramen in exchange for food, which is supposedly why she dominated the later challenges, and was the real reason why everyone was so angry at her at the finale.

Who knows if it's true, I feel like that would have come out a long time ago if it was.

I'm fairly certain I've heard that rumor for many years now (like, 10-15+).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Kass should've won. I get why Tony won but he is extremely unlikable (acab).

Nah. For all her bluster about being a hot shot lawyer who could read and manipulate better than anyone, Tony played her like a fiddle. And then he comes back for "WaW" and throws a perfect game. Legend.