Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I saw somebody touch on this earlier, do we know if the immunity idol has real tokens for eyes? Could you just pry ‘em off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sex Therapist in Cedar Rapids sounds like a very low paying job

I just typed out multiple variations on a “seed her rapids” joke and none of them were good/bad enough to post

so, enjoy this post, i guess

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I can't believe they made "Rob told Sandra he wasn't playing" into a major Episode 1 plot point

I am *incredibly* skeptical of this. But if he did, boy howdy is that great

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Sandra seems legit pissed about it. She's still going on about it in media interviews she's given since the show started airing.

That is so, so weird. I mean, maybe they only hung out for an hour or two every three days to do the idols stuff but it still seems like an incredibly long con for not too much payoff by Rob

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

Good on Cochran for this. While I'm sure he has some regrets for at least not throwing his hat in the ring (especially with a $2m prize), he did indeed play a perfect game to get that win, and in a season with returnees and supposed hardcore fans (but likely just recruits like every other season) at that.

Yeah, I get it. But this kind of feels like winning the NCAA championship and retiring instead of playing in the NBA*. Sure, you outplayed everyone but like, there’s another level out there. Kim played an incredible game, as did a good number of the S40 players, and they’re all back. That said, maybe he didn’t want to devote 3+ months of his life to an outside shot at another million and that’s his prerogative, good for him.

*Although I guess the analogy breaks down when you realize he got paid for his win, but I digress.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Khanstant posted:

We have this hilarious tax system where the government wants me to give them $700 as a punishment for being too to afford health insurance.

That’s 10% of what it should be if you ask Mayor Pete!

Also yeah I’m coming around on Ben. He’s not very good, that’s for sure. But gosh darn I want to see him succeed

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I really hope there is an on screen moment of someone wondering if they can pry the immunity totem's eyes out to use as fire tokens

This has been the only thing I’ve wanted this season

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sandra is one of the ones that in theory is a big threat, but unless you're a bunch of morons is always an option to get out later in the game.

I'm going to pretend she's volunteered to sit out so many challenges so far to hide the fact that she's secretly somehow become a challenge beast in the offseason. And people will just plan to get her out at 8-9 and she'll just go challenge-challenge-idol-idol-challenge-fire to FTC

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

xbilkis posted:

I don't hate Rob but I love Sophie for being the one sane human being willing to go "Playing with Rob loving sucks, let's just vote him out"

Yeah it was definitely a tough sell to have Adam and Ben think “oh yeah let’s just do this poo poo for 27 more days and then give Rob the prize that’ll be fun and not miserable at all”

and sandra sneaks through another episode unscathed. Get it, girl.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Stokes posted:

I had a shower thought in the shower tonight. What if they did Island of the Idols 2 where the Idols were the idols. Nothing hidden at camp. You just brought an idol back over to your camp and you had to play him/her as an HII before the Idol got voted out of the game. And if the Idol wasn't played until final 5 they'd be eligible for the million.

“If anyone has a hidden immunity idol and would like to play it, now—“

“Jeff?” *contestant whistles*

*Boston Rob kicks his way out of the tribal spy shack and leaps down*

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BGrifter posted:

A final eight of Nick/Michele/Sophie/Ben/Wendell/Adam/Sarah/Kim feels like a possibility and holy poo poo what a letdown given who we started the season out with.

i was a lot higher on sarah's win than most people

but if she wins this season i'll know it's the survivor gods punishing me specifically and i want to apologize

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Beating all winners is way more impressive than beating a bunch of losers and randos!

Yeah I just rewatched pearl islands recently, she was obviously the best player but really got the win gift-wrapped every step of the way including all the way through FTC as Lil did her best to systematically alienate every single juror

HvV was obviously more impressive lol

but it really sounds like Sandra is completely done with survivor so now people can argue which of the faceless replacement-level players still in S40 is the new “best survivor player ever” with their two wins

God willing it’ll be somebody with only one season so far. Two-time sole survivor Adam Klein.

I could stomach Kim having another incredibly strong run or something, that’d be a neat story. I just want some good gameplay down the stretch

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I'm pretty sure they finished casting in early March but they're still running the "go audition!" bumper when i'm assuming they're delaying everything due to covid-19 anyway. I wasn't eligible until this past friday and figured I missed the window but might as well throw them a tape, i guess?

3peat posted:

I was almost convinced before this episode that Wendell and Michelle had a preshow alliance and planned to act like they hate eachother so they wouldn't become targets, but this episode straight out cemented it by the hilarious theater they were playing.

Yeah, I've come around on this and I now think it's great

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

hey can you link me to the survivor comprehensive rules, and tournament rules? thanks

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Also whether it's stated onscreen or not (and it shouldn't be) there's a heavy, heavy incentive for the EoE folks to just make a pact to vote at the end for whichever one of them returns. Like, why wouldn't you?

I think I'm a little biased toward thinking it's stupid because the first EoE season was goat city at the end and we knew whoever won the fire-making would win the season (and... it was the two EoE guys). So that was the worst possible scenario, it's can't be that bad every time... right???????

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Serious Party Gods posted:

The "Winners at War" song on the immunity challenge was analogous to a "Dog the Bounty Hunter" scenario-specific song. This poo poo is dumb.

It’s very James Bond-ish but more in a Snake Eater rip-off way than anything actually good

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

SweetJahasus posted:

This is the reason she bought it at 4 tokens, and Parvati knew that. They all got the report from Wendell on how the vote went down and they know that she's on the outer, and likely to be picked off so any bone she's thrown (especially one that's immunity) she'd take or risk just being voted out with all of her currency.

3 of those tokens also came from Parv, so there may have been some agreement in place before she was voted out as well

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

mancalamania posted:

It's also one of those twists that sounds exciting on paper could easily produce a real thud of a TV moment. If she plays it she probably knows she's about to get voted out, and if it comes up Not Safe then we still have to go through the boring formality of watching her get voted out when everyone knows what's about to happen. Why wouldn't they just make it a full idol? Why do they insist on creating these stupid needlessly convoluted advantages?

Something not working as an idol this week right before a player knew they were going to be voted out gave us one of the best moments of the season so far

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I feel like the best strategy is to just stay low till about the final 6ish and hope to god you have a good story going into the finale.

The best story is "remember those three weeks we spent together on the edge? that was tough but fun. thanks for the million dollars"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Got 25 minutes of Jeff’s deep insights like “the thing about a brother-sister relationship is that neither of you is the parent”

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Why did the big group not split the votes 3-3-3? If Kim had correctly deduced that it was Tyson and Michele had not flipped they ran the risk of getting one of theirs sent home...

Why were Nick and Michele on totally different sides of the vote? Were they on the same page after all because they voted together???

Wouldn’t you like to know what strategy discussions happened?? Tough poo poo, here’s some people’s kids

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I was being sarcastic, we didn't actually need 30 minutes, they could have just done a weird perv montage and wrapped it up in like 45 seconds

some people watch survivor for the strategy, some people watch it to see players french their kids, who's to say what's right and wrong

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Raxivace posted:

True, and I suppose his first vote out in this season was as well. Thus what we can conclude is that Winners at War will be a repeat of Tyson's Survivor career.

The first vote out was straightforward, as it was in Tocantins.

This second vote out was confusing and people can't seem to agree on just what happened, as it was in Heroes vs. Villains.

Tyson actually won his third season of course, which means if he comes back from Edge history will repeat itself and Tyson shall win again as it will be his third try at Winners at War. You can't argue with this highly scientific argument.

This is long-term storytelling!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd only respect it if Tyson wasn't able to idol his way to the firemaking challenge

He’ll come back in at 6 with an idol which he can likely use at 5, right? then he just needs an immunity win and he’s at the fire. So write the check now, I suppose.

Oh, no, you know what they’re going to do? They’ll add an accelerant to the returning-from-EoE tokens menu or something and let him use it at the fire making challenge. They don’t want a Sarah-Nick-Sophie final

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Oh yeah, I should say I’m fine with that final 3 too, I just figure it’s not high on the producers’ list

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F59P2tESLbY

I can't decide which vote is more hilarious between Ben and Jeremy

We had to go back and watch the reveal twice to really appreciate how bewildered Ben is when the Sophie votes start popping and how Jeremy just gives him the "did you think i was not here to play" look

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Dugong posted:

Goddam, I’m sad Sophie was at the receiving end of that vote but drat, Tony really did an unbelievable job. I hope we get a reaction shot of Parvati and Nat buying six jars of peanut butter.

I wonder who Tony didn't pay back. Probably Nick, since he was in his "real" alliance?

I also wonder if he could have pretended he was using the extortion on someone else. Probably not, but it's very funny to picture him just handing it stone-faced to Michele or something

e: also, the editing on the advantage reveal (and the way Tony explained it) was so good. He was so excited, and then so dismayed. Also I'm really impressed at how fluidly he made it his team's problem instead of just his. Some stuff you can't teach

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

What if he just told everyone that he had to pay back the other two and he just has two fire tokens now

Now you're thinking.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The real injustice is that I can't buy the Winners at War theme on iTunes yet..

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Yeah it’s bizarre to say but I think Ben has the smallest chance of winning of any of the 19 people left. He started the season as a goat and has gone downward from there

also LMAO at defense attorney nick walking into an obvious trap with Tony and just being flustered for what felt like *forever*

Spokes fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 30, 2020

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Deceptive posted:

You could also say that it's racist to be calling Ben racist for feuding with Jeremy just because you see Jeremy is black.

well, yeah, sure, it's a free country, you could say that even though it makes no sense

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Imagine a world where Russell successfully got cast for Pirate Master and never got his stink on the Survivor franchise

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Keep Ben and Jeremy off each other for the next vote to vote out Denise because of her power play against Sandra and decent underdog story. At 6 he finally gets rid of Jeremy. At 6 again he convinces people to vote out the EoE returnee because they've been able to build relationships with the jury. At 5 he idols.

Your lips to God’s ears

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Tony booting Sophie to cut off Sarah’s options was such an incredibly audacious play and I can’t believe there wasn’t more backlash for it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah I agree. My final four pick is:
Ben
Michelle
Denise
Tony

This seems likely, I could see Tony/Sarah making it to the end together and maybe Tony could scare people into voting out Denise (based on her "big move" back in early March or whatever), so maybe Tony, Sarah, Michelle, Ben

This is the first season I'm not dreading the fire-making, because every single player knew it was coming and if they didn't work their fingers to the bone practicing, that's on them

i'm really excited to see how that plays out

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Remember last week how everybody (including and especially me was like) "aw jeez, even with an idol i just don't see how tony gets to the end, he's just too much of a frontrunner, shucks"

and this week he loses two challenges and there's not a hint of a vote cast his way

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Lmao why are so many people butthurt about Rob?

Is it just hipster contrarianism or what

i think there is some pushback against his "legendary reputation", he won some dumb bullshit season on his fourth try with a bunch of absurdly poor players and he's been out of the s40 game for more than 3 weeks. Also EoE has been an obvious heavy-handed ploy from its first season to give the players (joe, wentworth) that the producers like a chance to win when they "shouldn't", so folks are not happy about the prospect that it feels like they have their thumb on the scale again.

that said, i personally love watching rob play and if he gets back in and makes a run, heck, that's some fun tv and to me it's not worth getting bent out of shape about

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I think someone *probably* plays an idol at final 6, but if not we could have 3 idols at F5, along with an immunity win. uh oh!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

CODChimera posted:

That was a cool moment

Somebody winning (or losing) a crucial immunity is one of the strongest emotional beats Survivor can hit and I’m always super pleased when they do it well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Stokes posted:

Why would you want someone to win who hasn't even played the game?

Edit: Natalie hasn't played Survivor since day 3.

She’s done a great job of playing the hand she was dealt, and there’s a lot to respect there. Is it a weird balance issue that she didn’t play 33 days “in the game”? Sure. Is EoE a lovely idea? Absolutely. But truly, is anyone doing a better job of Playing Survivor than the person who started jury management on day 6???

I’d love for Nat to win because:
1) not Ben
2) it’ll put an even bigger spotlight on how stupid EoE is
3) Nat owns

Also even among a season of winners, it’s gotta be real tough to not vote for someone who you’ve spent a literal month alongside completely non-adversarially, mostly working together to survive. I’m really interested to see how the finale goes. I thought Tony had it in the bag after last nights episode but the more I think about the returnee is actually going to have a massive leg up, if only because they’ve planned their 3 days of return gameplay and FTC talking points for weeks. They’ll have to absolutely blow the doors off like Chris did last time, but it’s possible and if someone who got voted off wins the season, I want it to be someone great like Nat or Yul or Ethan

As a fan, yeah, I want Tony to win, I think he’s certainly playing the best game. And I don’t think anyone beats him, and if it is an EoE returnee that beats him in FTC I think the fanbase flips their poo poo. But like... Ben/Michele/Yul final 3 or something? Congrats to ALS researchers everywhere. (Michele could and should win that, but... who knows!)

e: also I am absolutely living for the scene where the jury arrives at ponderosa where they’re greeted by Sandra who’s had full run of the bar and restaurant alone for 3 weeks

Spokes fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 8, 2020