Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I really hope there is an on screen moment of someone wondering if they can pry the immunity totem's eyes out to use as fire tokens

Pretty sure we know who that "someone" will be (if it happens, the "tokens" will be traded for something real, rather than used officially). :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Normy posted:

Probably just let everyone stay then do a double later.

Yep, but they have to broadcast the angry shouty production meeting that follows during the next episode.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Big Taint posted:

If everyone is immune then Jeff is fired, replaced with Drew Carey.

Gary Busey.

https://i.imgur.com/kZtgECn.mp4

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also, the real question is are we going to end up with a bunch of lovely reality TV shows come fall, as I'm assuming the scripted TV shows are going to be hurt pretty bad as well.

Like the writer's strike, lot's of re-runs coming, at least until new genres are invented (haven't been watching Big Brother or reading the thread, but boy howdy I'm guessing that's gonna be hosed up as it winds down).

Otteration fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 20, 2020

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

lovely reality tv is cheap to make but it still requires large casts and crews.

17 sexy and exciting volunteers (!) in 17 separate locked luxury FEMA isolation trailers watched and watching each other via remote cameras, texting at each other and text-voting out one loser each week.

Each loser gets their locked luxury trailer towed to Death Valley where their power and water is cut off and we watch the inevitable end game.

The remaining players text "LOL!" emojis at each other.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
[quote="Khanstant" post="504536113"]
Most iconic? Nah, that section of the show is often a massive waste of time that gets carried by editing before it starts because the majority of the time tribals are really inert, just a formality for a group decision by the dominant groups and we watch people yammer on and on making it sound like "oooh we might do something interesting instead" but then they of course don't. Ugh and a season or two ago we had all these grand speeches at tribal, where people were going on about society and culture and change and folks would be crying and they'd make it like it was going to be a symbolic vote to make a point for th-just kidding they voted exactly like the dominant alliance said they were they just spent a lot of time bloviating. As time has gone on they've cut out the parts where we see people actually vote and talk poo poo or try to backpedal, that part was a highlight of that segment for me.

I'm only excited by the whispers and chaos when it results in change, which it has been lately! The whispers are only bad TV when the rest of tribal is bad TV too. I mean sometimes a vote is straightforward no matter what so editors can only do their best to mislead to keep some tension. Maybe some folks just enjoy empty, diplomatic answers to teacher's questions with the occasional cut to a raised eyebrow more than I do. Can't argue indecipherable whispers are necesarrily better, but recently the reactions of the players has been much more extreme than raised eyebrow.
[/quote

Maybe go straight from immunity comp to tribal wherein everyone is micked for whispers and let the scramble happen there (followed by a segment of post-tribal yelling)?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

freeman posted:

I don't mind the whispers as long as they're subtitled. Don't really mind the post vote "who did you vote for" talk when it comes to idols since the votes are already locked in at that point.

Subtitles would be fine if they're more complete than in the last episode. The cast is owned by the network while they're on the island, so they can wear mikes at least enough to improve the subs if they're going to whisper. The play by play by Jeff is lame. It's moot for this season, of course, since it's already in the can. Predict that the rest of this season's tribals will be more of the same though.

[Fake eta: just remembered production will just edit subs as much as vids for drama, even if it has access to all of the audio, so maybe nvm.]

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

freeman posted:

I don't mind the whispers as long as they're subtitled. Don't really mind the post vote "who did you vote for" talk when it comes to idols since the votes are already locked in at that point.

The post-vote talk is an initial scramble that clues us in on how the players are interacting, and interaction and social dynamics are kind of the whole point of the entire concept of Survivor. :)

I guess I usually FF through 90% of challenges to the end though. Ymmv. :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I thought Jeff's play by play was amusing

Yeah, it was for me too, at first...he's quick on his feet and I always like his challenge narration. Not sure a tribal Harry Carry has legs though.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

freeman posted:

I meant more what Tony did this week as in post vote but before the votes are read.

I said I don't mind it as in I'm not against it. Not sure if it came off that way.

No problem. :) Was just thinking that maybe immediate post-tribal interactions might be fun to see too, if they actually happen to a large enough degree.

It's all hypothetical anyway. The times, they are a changin'. :)

Gonna have to also throw out that I kinda miss the Ponderosa interviews too, unless I'm not seeing something more compelling available online from the EoE crew which hasn't been mentioned ITT.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m just ready for Boston Rob to come back and win the whole thing.

Rob coming back might unify the remaining players enough to do a 24 hour group hug together.

Wondering if Rob's hero glory run with the the coconuts was just an in-jury pre-return vote play attempt though too (one that the in play folks apparently wouldn't know about). Or editing. Hmmm.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

As of right now I don’t think the jury is mad enough to be bitter. But Tony is playing in the kind of way that does a lot of damage real fast and that thing where Michelle gave Jeremy her coin does speak to the real sincere feeling social game Michelle has.

The problem I think is even if Tony royally pisses everyone off do all those Edge of Extinction Voters also get bitter? The larger jury seems like it works against that happening.

Do Sarah and Tony have any kind of real world relationship/friendship? I have no idea, but it seems like the way he's playing atm he might not care. She seemed more worried about the $2 mil the other day when she was shown to be pissed at him, so whatever; if he's seen to send her off, there could be fun jury angst though.

[The reality is a jury of winners probably understands that whatever it takes to win is acceptable. But then again...$2 mil....]

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I would have enjoyed a Natalie win but I don't think she got robbed. I think most Survivor/Big Brother fans see it as a giant cop out but I genuinely believe the #1 point of the game is convince that jury to vote for you so it doesn't matter to me that Tony did my scheming and Nat did more challenges. The one that convinced the jury to reward them "deserves" the win and Natalie had plenty of opportunity to convince the jury and didn't. Maybe one decision or gust of wind would have changed that but it is what it is. Survivor winners always get a little lucky here or there.

Yep. Both Tony and Nat played at the top of the difficult (sub) game they were given. Can't blame Nat for the game she got (EOE) or that she won it...it was a hella achievement.

That Nat failed at the overall social game and lost the jury vote is on her, though in theory that last bit should have been an easier task*. I would have been happy if she'd have won.

Pretty sure EOE should go far away in the future, but maybe an island trading "economy" might be a fun addition for the future.

*Though hanging around EOE for a month together sans schedule may have been social hell for all of them. Which, now that I think about it, a "winner" could have overcome.

Conclusions: flip a coin for the winner, but don't blame either of them for playing the game they were given, imo.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

Yes you can. She was in it because she got voted out

Long ago and far away, but blame Jeff for that, not Nat. 🙂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
FWIW a new season of Naked and Afraid XL just started. Set in South Africa, the second episode is Sunday on Discovery (the first episode was mostly expository, the second one is were stuff starts).

This time there is an explicit banishment option.

Sorry if I missed a mention itt, or if there's already a thread. 🙂