Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
No lowercase goats this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yul )=

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think last season perma broke Survivor for me which sucks because I think I would've loved this season otherwise. I basically only have been in this for Yul and I bet he'll barely be on now that he's on EoE.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Boxman posted:

I appreciated that he went with "you want to play...this as an idol"

I feel like that's a hole with no bottom. "Jeff, I believe you are a hidden immunity idol. I play you."

“I am NOT a hidden immunity idol,” Jeff said, and in one or two Survivor’s minds—to their eternal shame—a silly scene played out as they remembered what happens to fake idols for a moment…but this moment would soon give way to something they all would see for an eternity every time they closed their eyes; indeed, Jeff threw himself into the flames and they could do nothing to save him, they—Survivors now literal—could do nothing but watch, just as the millions of viewers at home who could do nothing but watch this pyre, when it aired on CBS on Wednesday night, six months later.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

The flight/cab thing is weird to me because when I've watched it seems like a lot of noise and then they all end up at the same place at relatively the same time.

Which I think is fair but like that's the "formula" that feels to me like its more habit and tradition than actually something happening. It would be like if every episode of Survivor had a 15 minute segment of people picking Reward Challenge teams or something.

It's partly about tradition, but also a large part of it is the reality of global travel and organizing events around the world, it's really hard to do if people are arriving on two or three days apart from each other, which would happen quite a bit more often if they didn't bunch them together before various legs. It does also stop the show from being a boat race. I do sometimes though think it's pretty unfair for people to finish first like 80% of the time and then lose to a team that was only in the finals because three teams have to be in the finals, which happens sometimes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wonder who the edit trackers think is going to win, I'd google it but usually that ends up with me somewhere in spoilers. This season it feels really hard to tell the difference between who they're showing to justify a win and who they're showing because it's good TV, because really most of the crew is good TV.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Count me in with the people who don’t normally like Tony’s game, but am impressed with what he is doing now. All these former winners left feel like his goats.

I am legit impressed with Natalie, too. Despite being voted out first it feels like she still played a hell of a game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The area that I will give Sarah credit in is that the group of winners-but-maybe-not-playing-great-right-now being the only people who remain seems largely her doing, with Tony having spent most of the season talking about assembling a War of Lions before deciding to use Sarah's hyenas to toss the lions when they come at him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I understand from an economics standpoint why they do things like EoE because it costs too much to bring these people out there to get a limited number of episodes out of them but I wish they would come up with another way to keep booted people involved without it impacting the game so much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wonder if they delay things until the Fiji taping is possible or if they bite the bullet and film it in the US. There's definitely some islands in the US territory they could use but I almost hope they do a throwback to the early seasons where it wasn't an island every time. If it's not snowy it would be cool to see a woodland survivor and if it's not sweltering, the desert

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I probably would've stopped watching the show for a season or two, or maybe ever, after 39, with probably any other gimmick.

But hey this one brought me in and we had a good season with a good win. Tony's performance was masterful.

I think Natty is right that what she did was amazing and I'm glad she got votes. I also think that Michelle's definitely proved a point, even without getting votes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
For some reason when it came to Natty I was thinking of Terry's first season a lot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

1) Tony was better than Devens although I’m unsure if the juries saw it that way.
2) Sarah and maybe Michele for that matter were better than Gavin and Julie.
3) Nat knew who the #1 threat was, and unlike Chris, didn’t take him out.
4) Chris had a round without his own immunity and played Lauren into giving him her idol.
5) Chris got Devens to give him back an idol half (as opposed to coming back into the game with a functioning idol).
6) Nat turned a section of EOE against her and possibly lost their votes.

Chris really did play an absolutely outstanding game when he got back from the Edge, we just didn’t know who he was and it was stupidly late in the game, and the jury armed him up with intel. Natalie despite doing less than Chris still got 4 votes up against one of the best games of all time. EoE is really bad the way they’ve been doing it and I’m very glad it’s gone.

It's really easy to forget how well Chris played, partly because it all happened in basically a single episode, and by the reunion he sounded like a total gamebot again which at least soured me on his win, impressive as it was.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

I'm watchin 2017 aussie survivor and I honestly love this cast. I think a big part of it is the longer episodes lending to us getting to know them better.

Another smart thing The Challenge did was switch over to 90 minute episodes. They experimented with two hour episodes and honestly they were kind of boring but 90 seems to be the sweet spot.

clown shoes posted:

P.S. Let me know if I'm making GBS threads up the thread with decades old Survivor talk. I would be following along the season with the appropriate TV IV thread (like I have been all the other more recent seasons) if I could find it but so far even google can't find it, if there even is one. Anyone have a link?

I think I might watch Panama next. I've heard a lot about this season.

I enjoy it, keep it up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Max posted:

Do not watch Island of the Idols. Read a summary of it.

It had a promising pre-merge section, but everything after the merge is completely tainted by Dan and how the producers handled the entire situation.

I have a hard time deciding which show is my favorite but this is definitely my least.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Max posted:

OK so in order to wash my brain of season 39, I'm going to post my favorite little bit of history that I noticed a while back and is fun to point out.

Season 2 of survivor has a really great fight that ends with one of my favorite combacks on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2X6gfvYUw8&t=42s

The finger wag line is one of my favorite quick comebacks. I love how she just comes up with it.

Years later, Jeremy correctly plays his idol and saves himself in a historic moment on the show where no one received any valid votes. Kimmi, who just betrayed him, picks up the urn to go start the revote. And then Alicia reaches through time and space and possesses Jeremy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7yZLRtYrA&t=56s

Lmao, I'd forgotten that, what a great moment.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That's a pretty welcome change.

Zesty posted:

This is really going to get in the way of their creative vision of voting out the black person as soon as possible.

Yeah how are they going to successfully portray every black person who makes it past the first week a weirdo or unreasonably angry?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Victorkm posted:

I find it weird the latest season that I am rooting for Corey and against all the big brother alums who have been very much the villains this season. I've always thought Corey was a strong player but he's never been in a position where I could really bring myself to root for him. Still not surprised Aneesa is going another season without ever making a final.

Also I am super into Big T this season shes just so adorable.

The way they can turn villains and people who barely say anything in the past shows into heroes in later seasons, and then vice versa with former heroes, is really impressive. Or in some cases like Ashley, change whether or not she's a hero or a villain sometimes in a the same season.

It really exposes how much editing can have an effect on these things.

I ended up enjoying the latest season quite a bit even though I thought the spy theme was pretty lame. The politics were really interesting and seeing the full realization of strategy now that everyone has to face elimination to have a shot at the finals has been a joy to see.

I wouldn't want Survivor to copy a lot from the show but I wish they'd at least borrow some of the challenges.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I got really into Naked and Afraid a few years ago but they all started to feel pretty samey especially once they started doing returning players after like one season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Survivor 41: The Challenge Feeder League's New Season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm only one and a half episodes in to this Challenge season and it feels like Michelle has already had more interview time about strategy than her entire Survivor experience.