Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Important dates - https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2019-20-important-nfl-dates/
  • February 25th - First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
  • March 10th - Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
  • March 16th - Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2019 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 18.
  • March 18th - The 2020 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

Free Agent Trackers and lists of players
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best-available-nfl-free-agents-in-2020
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2020-rankings-best-players-by-position/qyh7txt8tytt1e9e5e76mip61
https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2020all.php (lol)

Team Cap Space
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Ditch posted:

Quick plug for my favorite NFL salary-related website, Over the Cap: https://overthecap.com/

They have good data, lots of tools for fantasy GM-ing, and solid analysis.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Who is going to win the Blake Bortles sweepstakes?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Curious and afraid to see how the QB carousel plays out.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Quick plug for my favorite NFL salary-related website, Over the Cap: https://overthecap.com/

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ditch posted:

This website is a great tool, I also use it all the time.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Bye Philip

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

:smith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I love him but it's time

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ditch posted:

Adding to OP!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

a neat cape posted:

I love him but it's time
Yeah, I know. Just kinda sad is all, and I'm having a hard time imagining who would even sign him at this point.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Yeah, I know. Just kinda sad is all, and I'm having a hard time imagining who would even sign him at this point.

2018 was the best season of his career.

poo poo happens fast.

:(

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Don't see it this blatantly too often:

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/1224395830091821069

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/bostonaustin/status/1224397399965294593?s=20

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Assume this is all a reference to this:

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1113914607280709632?s=20

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/NFLFilmStudy/status/1225057732765589504

I tend to 100% believe this, he seems like a natural fit for the offense. Chan Gailey loves his split zone and other related stuff that's meant to give backs an option to bounce stuff outside of the aiming point of the play, and that's something Gordon does really well.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I tend to 100% believe this, he seems like a natural fit for the offense. Chan Gailey loves his split zone and other related stuff that's meant to give backs an option to bounce stuff outside of the aiming point of the play, and that's something Gordon does really well.

See ya Mel.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
As long as he’s not getting a Zeke contract i can live with this purchase

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Cincinnati Bengals are getting ready to sign multiple big free agents.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I am not a NFL cap expert or anything but if you're wondering how much your favorite team can afford don't just look at free cap space on overthecap. There are a couple strategies teams can do to make up more space.

1. Just cut players. This is the most straightforward way. There are two good indicators if a player is almsot certain to be a cap casulty.

a.For one, their production in a given year. Like did they just suck?
b.Two, how much dead cap space will they take up if they got cut? Dead cap is (more or less) the amount of their signing bonus left PLUS their gauranteed money of the contract MINUS they the cap hit over the previous length of the contract. So a player with a lot of years left on his deal and a large signing bonus isnt going to get cut. I.E. our hero Jared Goff has a 53 million dollar dead cap hit this year

A good example of a player basically certain to get cut is the Packer's Jimmy Graham. Jimmy is pretty bad and only has 1 year left on his deal. By cutting him the Packers free up 8 million dollars in cap space and only take a $3.6 million dollar dead cap hit. He's a goner.

2. convert base salary into signing bonus This is a contract restructure move. Lets say for the next 2 years i'm due base salaries of 20 million and my total value of my contract is $40 million. The team can say, hey how about we turn that into a 5 year deal with $5 million in base salaries for the first two years and $10 million for the next three years and give you a $25 million dollar signing bonus. That makes your cap hit $10 million dollars a year and - if you played out the length of the deal - would in theory give you more money. Plus you'd get an immedaite $25 million dollar bonus. Of course, the reality is you're unlikely to play out all the years of that deal and its sort of kicking the can down the road. For the longest time the Saints did this strategy.

You can find some candidates for restructing here

3. Trade, Trade, Trade. It's more complicated because certain parts of a players salary will still coutn against your cap if you trade but this strategy was best shown by the Brock Osweiler to the browns trade. Basically a salary dump. The texans traded owseiler to the browns and sent a 2nd round pick. The browns, in turn, ate the $16 some million dollars in his salary which let the texans in theory do something productive with the money.

adaz fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 6, 2020

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What dolphins have more cap space then the colts? Time to fire some people!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cavauro posted:

The Cincinnati Bengals are getting ready to sign multiple big free agents.

All of which are Andy “&ę” Dalton wearing different fake mustaches and wigs.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

What dolphins have more cap space then the colts? Time to fire some people!

Colts are ahead of Miami now. I think with the money we dumped on the rams trade

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Cant use all the stud runningback they've drafted but totally willing to spend big on a runningback who consistently underperformed with his own team. Good move.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chichevache posted:

Cant use all the stud runningback they've drafted but totally willing to spend big on a runningback who consistently underperformed with his own team. Good move.

it’s all the players that were the problem, not us!!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Tennessee free agents:

Logan Ryan - This dude loving balled this season. Our other top two CBS were excellent too and I wouldn’t exactly be shocked if he walks for big money because this is probably gonna be his last long term deal but I would love to have him back.
Marcus Mariota - Bye man. Enjoy being a Charger!
Jack Conklin - Jacks gonna get paid and I don’t see it being by us. He’s gonna want left tackle money and we aren’t paying that, not with him playing RT
Wesley Woodyard - Our lb group is very young and very good. I would love to have him back on a short deal.
Ryan Tannehill - Pay this man. He fit this team like a loving glove, even if he regresses the playaction spun off of riding Henry fits his skill set perfectly. Give him a big front loaded contract with an out in year five because he’ll be what, 38 by the end of that?
Daren Bates ILB - nothing much to say here. He’s depth at best and replaceable
Kevin Pamphile G - brought him in to play RG, he was hurt and then leapfrogged by Nate Davis and never played a snap for us. Bye
Dennis Kelly RT - Dennis definitely gets resigned if Conklin walks
Chris Milton CB - Depth. Good luck man
Kamalei Correa ILB - Dean pees brought out the best in him and he’s a great situational pass rusher but that’s it. I’d like to see us Sign him to a three year deal
Austin Johnson DT - This pick did not pan out. Bye
Derrick Henry - yeah yeah, conventional wisdom says don’t pay running backs, I know. Pay Derrick Henry whatever he wants
Tramaine Brock CB - for a midseason waiver wire cut pickup, tramaine actually played really well. I think he’s gone after we brought in the DB coach from the team that cut him lol
David Fluellen RB - if flu could stay healthy I’d love to see him replace Dion Lewis, who is 100% getting cut. Give him a short term deal and plug him in as the backup to Henry, then draft one more RB as a change of pace guy to come in on 3rd and longs
Darius Jennings WR - great kick returner but not at all a good option on offense
MyCole Pruitt TE TEN - see below
Tajae Sharpe WR - tajae is going to be a very good number two or three guy, but it won’t be on this team, not with two more years of Adam humphries.
LeShaun Sims CB - Mouse isn’t going anywhere IMO, especially if Logan Ryan walks. I think they see mouse as a future replacement for Malcolm butler
Tye Smith CB - good depth, I’d be shocked if we don’t resign him
Reggie Gilbert DE - this trade made sense in a vacuum but he didn’t show anything. Bye!
Cameron Batson WR - wouldn’t be surprised to see him stay if Jennings is gone.
Anthony Firkser FB - see below

TIGHT END THUNDERDOME
Delanie walker is old and has had serious season ending injuries two years in a row. I desperately want him to agree to restructure because otherwise he’s definitely getting cut. Jonnu smith is going to get paid. Between Firkser and Pruitt, id lean towards Firkser because he offers a great red zone target and tanney likes throwing to him. He fits the scheme very well. I say at the end of the day Delanie gets cut, we extend Jonnu and give Firkser a short term deal.

OUTSIDE TARGETS
We’ve been super active in free agency under Jon Robinson but I think we stick mostly with our own guys this year. If both Logan Ryan and Jack Conklin wall, I would like to see us push in a ton of chips toward the DE Atlanta is letting go. I would vastly prefer that we try to keep our big 4 after trimming some of our bad contracts (DION LEWIS!!!!) and take the best pass rusher available at 29 to play across from Honor Landry.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I got a push notification saying the bengals should pay Amari Cooper and I just want to note: do not loving do that

they won't, because the bengals don't do FA, but don't loving do it

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Buffalo Bills Free Agents: Who the gently caress are they?

Bills Exclusive-Rights Free Agents

CB Levi Wallace
WR Robert Foster
TE Jason Croom

These guys all have to take whatever deal the Bills give them, so they'll be back. Wallace is by far the most notable: he saw the most time across from Tre White and generally played pretty well. Foster had a good rookie season, but was a ghost this year. Croom was promising depth, but suffered a season-ending injury in camp. They'll all be on the roster until cut-down day.

Bills Restricted Free Agents

WR Isaiah McKenzie(5)
S Dean Marlowe(UDFA)

You would have to give up a pick for these guys(original rounds in parenthesis). Marlowe is nothing to write home about, but McKenzie was essentially the 4th wide receiver and used effectively on reverses and jet sweeps.

Bills Unrestricted Free Agents

DE Shaq Lawson - Selected in the 1st-round out of Clemson in 2016 for Rex Ryan's defense, Lawson had spent much of his career out of position, and the team declined his 5th-year option due to his disappointing production. Well, to put it simply, they may wish they hadn't: Lawson had by far his best season yet in 2019, logging 6.5 sacks and 1 forced fumble. He played the run well, and was always first off the bench to spell Trent Murphy or Jerry Hughes. He will probably get a tidy sum as a key role in a rotation, or be given a shot at a starting job. Definite concerns over production exist; however, as Lawson was pretty much non-existant his first three seasons. Given Buffalo's sneaky lack of depth at DE(and the fact Trent Murphy kind of sucks), they may well try hard to retain him. He would be a good signing at the right price.

DT Jordan Philips - Selected by the Dolphins in the 2nd-round in 2015, Philips was a disappointment in Miami, and signed a cheap prove-it deal with the Bills last off-season. And, with 9.5 sacks to his name, it's safe to say that he "proved it", at least enough to get a much richer contract. And it may be too rich for Buffalo's blood, given they already have a ton of money tied up in Ed Oliver and Star Lotulelei(more on him later). Jordan Philips is a pass rusher, but his aggressiveness means he sometimes gets out of position. And he sucked before this year. Still, it's hard to argue with 9.5 sacks from the interior: he could get a lot of money, and if he can produce at this level going forward, he could make some one very happy.

RB Frank Gore - It feels like Gore has already been a journeyman veteran back for longer than he was a feature back, doesn't it? The old man ran well early on, but seemed to run out of gas around December. Regardless, he was relatively inexpensive, and is great in the locker room: he apparently spent a lot of time helping out Devin Singletary. He's a smart veteran back who has little to offer in terms of big-play potential, but he can still play here and there and will happily mentor younger players.

G Quinton Spain - This Titans cast-off was a good, productive starter, and with competent offensive linemen perpetually in short supply, that should equal a richer deal than the one he signed last season. I would be surprised if the Bills didn't try hard to retain his services, but he could be a sneaky good signing on the open market.

CB Kevin Johnson - The oft-injured former Texan managed to stay healthy and filled in well for Levi Wallace, as well as seeing action at nickel. He seems like pretty reliable corner depth, and you can never have enough of that in today's NFL.

C Spencer Long(club option)
RT Laadrian Waddle
LB Julian Stanford
LB Maurice Alexander
FS Kurt Coleman
DT Corey Liuget
G Isaac Asiata(who?)
Just depth guys. Stanford is a pretty good special teamer though.

Players Who Could Get Chopped

TE Tyler Kroft - He signed a 3 yr./18.75M contract last off-season, and promptly broke his foot in training camp. By the time he was healthy, he had been permanently passed up on the depth chart by rookie Dawson Knox and veteran Lee Smith. He failed to distinguish himself, and the Bills could free $5.4M by cutting him.
Likelihood of Getting Cut: :commissar:

DT Star Lotulelei - He signed a 5 yr/50M contract last off-season. As a 1-tech DT, he doesn't put up much on the stat sheet, because he doesn't have any versatility. The Bills run defense has been suspect regardless of his presence, but the Bills also don't have a replacement on the roster. Plus, cutting him would save ~$2.2M, so they'll probably stick with him for one more year.
Likelihood of Getting Cut: Ehhh

DE Trent Murphy - He signed a 3 yr/22.5M contract last off-season, which was a bit of a head-scratcher for a player coming off a serious injury. He spent much of 2018 on IR, and wasn't especially productive in 2019, although he did have a strong game against the Texans in the playoffs. Once again, the savings here are paltry: ~$2.2M, but if they end up giving Shaq Lawson a lucrative new deal, they could well decide to pull the trigger. Worth mentioning again there isn't much depth here.
Likelihood of Getting Cut: Meh

K Steven Hauschka - The Bills would only save ~$1.8M by cutting him, but, at the same time, he's a kicker who made less than 80% of his field goals the last two seasons. But then you gaze into the abyss looking for a replacement...
Likelihood of Getting Cut: Coin-flip

TE Lee Smith - I just talked about how he did well in Tyler Kroft's blurb, so why would they cut him? They won't, unless they sign Greg Olsen, then he could be a dead man walking.

FB Patrick DiMarco - Last seen being the first read on a post route in a playoff game, DiMarco doesn't see the field that much on offense, and when he does, he's basically always blocking. He plays a lot of special teams, but the Bills would save $1.85M by cutting a 30 year old FB, which seems like something that's likely to happen.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
drat the Titans have a fuckton of free agents.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yeah no kidding. We have a lot of cap space though even before cutting guys like dion Lewis or delanie walker so I expect we will re sign a ton of them. I can live with Conklin walking if we hit on tannehill/Henry/Logan Ryan, Dennis Kelly has been serviceable at RT.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I know my dude metapod thinks we should let tannehill walk but he’s wrong.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Going to be very interesting to see what the Pats can cobble together next season. They have a LOT of FA's to deal with, before you even get to Brady heh. Plus no functional TE's, just Edelman and the prayer that Harry develops after a full healthy offseason at WR, etc. It's not ideal.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

thrilla in vanilla posted:

What would be the alternative, going back to Mariota? Oh god, the Bucs cutting Jameis loose and him signing with the Titans would be too cruel. Possibly on both sides of the equation.

For now I don't think there's any real chance of that happening, Tanny looked somewhere between really good to pretty good. It's hard to let him go and roll the dice on picking up someone who would be at least as decent.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Minnesota Vikings

Essential
Everson Griffen, DE
Trae Waynes, CB
Anthony Harris, SS
Mackensie Alexander, CB
Dan Bailey, K
Britton Colquitt, P

Nice to keep
Rashod Hill, G
Ameer Abdullah, RB
Stephen Weatherly, DE
Eric Wilson,OLB
C.J. Ham, FB
Kentrell Brothers, OLB

Eh
Sean Mannion, QB
Andrew Sendejo, SS
Dakota Dozier, LT
Brett Jones, C
Laquon Treadwell, LOL
Jayron Kearse, S
Marcus Sherels, CB

Minnesota is wildly over the cap and will probably cut/trade Rhodes and Reiff. Griffen is an odd case. He hit incentives that allow him to be a free agent if he wants. As far as I know he loves playing in Minnesota and may just want to stay. It's odd that 3/4th of the starting defensive backs could be different next year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

He shouldn't be resigned because QBs are largely overpaid and he isn't good enough for the overpay

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

What would be the alternative, going back to Mariota? Oh god, the Bucs cutting Jameis loose and him signing with the Titans would be too cruel. Possibly on both sides of the equation.

For now I don't think there's any real chance of that happening, Tanny looked somewhere between really good to pretty good. It's hard to let him go and roll the dice on picking up someone who would be at least as decent.

I'm thinking long term not short term. Tanny is obviously the best qb we could get for next season but we're going to regress hard next year because of all the free agents and I don't think Tannehill is going to continue the level he was playing because so much of it revolved around teams focusing on Henry on play action

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1225432667673378818

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Metapod posted:

I'm thinking long term not short term. Tanny is obviously the best qb we could get for next season but we're going to regress hard next year because of all the free agents and I don't think Tannehill is going to continue the level he was playing because so much of it revolved around teams focusing on Henry on play action

So 9-7 then

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

re: Tannehill and Henry, just wanna point out that the running game most likely doesn't have a relation to play action success

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

re: Tannehill and Henry, just wanna point out that the running game most likely doesn't have a relation to play action success

It does when the defense is stacking the box all the time