Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I've seen enough reactions to Sims DLC to know what levels people are okay with and where it breaks the line so much the general gaming populace becomes aware of what's going on.

Like the time there was a Sims 4 stuff pack for animals, but you had to own the actual Sims 4 expansion pack for animals to get any real use out of it. It was DLC for DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
We had lootboxes for Animal Crossing back in 2002 when the only way to get some of the NES games at the time were through e-Reader cards.

But they never even came out with the cards for Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda. In fact the game's password system was created in such a way that you could get basically any item be it furniture or whatever from a password EXCEPT for those specific e-Reader card games.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

"Look we don't even know if Gamestop is even gonna still be a thing in a month or so."

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Me when I check out other people's islands and see just how many players had been screwed over by the "Gotta tan for hours to have your actual skin in-game" mechanic in the past because now they can just create how they wanna look from the start.:

https://youtu.be/8aE4EEVJyZ0?t=54

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mutata posted:

I can't remember the guy who was doing those, but I definitely hounded him constantly until he finally gave me a set. I rocked the 7-11 employee shirt forever after that and having an ATM in my house made me ~*SPECIAL*~, I don't care what anyone says.

I hope they bring the meat bed back at least.

Just laying on a big old bed of greasy meat.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The grass-wear system is still in, but you can sacrifice a villager to the Island to reset the grass back to a pristine state.

And you can never get that villager back. The game will refuse to let that specific villager move back into town. They're gone.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm slightly disappointed amiibos weren't integrated more.

The fact that you can seemingly be able to invite every normal villager to the campsite once you build it is already above what I had originally assumed the game was going to let you do with them.

Like in New Leaf that feature almost seemed OP to an extent, given how that title was still made with a lot of the old restricted Animal Crossing rules in place. I assumed New Horizons would just like, give you their portrait to put on your desk and that's all the amiibo would do.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1230497835050618885

Are these two what the kids these days call Twinks? Because I'm not seeing my old beaver and chameleon pals anywhere. :colbert:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Joan, Nat, and Chipp died in the war 5 years ago. It's time to let them go.

God that's right, Joan always says she's been selling turnips for sixty years.

And she started saying that like twenty years ago.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ItBreathes posted:

This means the game'll be missing 90% of things if you pick it up after the servers go down, doesn't it :(.

Considering New Leaf had long enough legs that they put out a physical version of Welcome Amiibo with the update on the cartridge I could see them doing that with New Horizons one day. Especially if the updates go on for like, more than a year or two.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Glad they showed us what happens to Mr. Resetti in this game also.

I think that was him at least, it was his theme song. The voice was different. Maybe it was his daughter.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Aside from the save-cloud deal the one point I audibly booed was when they said you could get exclusive items in New Horizons if you play Pocket Camp, which I've been good at totally avoiding for the entirety of its existence.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Seriously they're breaking all sorts of old "That's just the way it is" Animal Crossing restrictions/rules that I can't wait for the inevitable think pieces that are all "I liked this series more when we didn't have control over where villagers put down their houses and the grass barely ever grew back" and I'll be all like, that's nice...but I don't care.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

is rover dead

He was actually picked to be the Jellical Choice last year which is why he's not around anymore.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/doubutsuno_mori/status/1230673943385628672

I guess this is implying there's 383 potential villagers in New Horizons? Like at launch I guess and then maybe more will be added someday in the future possibly I dunno.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/amiibo/game/acbaa/list.html

Looking at this chart, the Sanrio cards won't let you invite villagers to the game, so those seem to (for the time being) not be returning to New Horizons, but you DO get their poster (a new version of the portrait I guess) it says. So you don't have to worry about acquiring those specific cards for now.

All the other Welcome Amiibo cards will work in every instance though.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
New version of the direct is up.

They changed the part about recovering your data one time only in the FAQ section.

If those on-screen texts that YouTube videos used to have still existed they could have just pasted the new info over the old one. :effort:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I hope there's a way to get into to the Rescue Center like there was for the Reset Center in New Leaf and City Folk.

And the Japanese re-release version of the American version of Animal Crossing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICn8-J3flY0

Is that a dirty magazine on top of all those newspapers?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

prepuce repurposed posted:

I'd love nothing more than to see the return of local mom n pop shops instead

Re-Tail gets bought out by Nook Inc., their identity painted over.

We paved Paradise and put up a Nookling Lot.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Two Worlds posted:

My New Leaf town was Teen Town. Hopefully "Teen Island" doesn't sound to Epstein-y.

As long as you don't invite Tortimer to the Island everything will be fine.

https://youtu.be/5xAK-X0RA5o?t=41

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's me, the one that will proudly use the snaggle-tooth mouth.

Edit: On a more serious note is that enough skin-tones? Cuz I'm worried now that's not enough skin tones like, there's only eight I feel like there's room for more.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 26, 2020

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

RIP Rover, Harriet, and Digby. They were the real ones.

If you have any of their cards/figurines and they are/become compatible you could just invite one of them every day to the campsite and that way they'll technically always be there.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://hitokuivillage.tumblr.com/

Looking back over these towns makes me hope that some sort of Dream Suite functionality is eventually implemented if it's not already in the release next month.

Some towns could become downright inspired under the right circumstances.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Public schools are basically being shut down for an entire month in a few days in Japan. Nintendo please push up the release date of New Horizons in Japan for these kids like, I don't even care if everyone else has to wait a month to get it but at least we still have to go outside and do things that will pass the time until then.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

As horrible as it might sound out of context I really like when we get footage of when an Island has been customized to the point you can't even recognize how it looked on day 1. Like by the end of the ad you see a player-made fairground that wouldn't look out of place in any of the old games. Like you'll still be able to come up with ideas for towns that you wouldn't even guess originated on an island landscape.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Most of the special townsfolk never get involved in relationships, they're too busy working to pursue any.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

History Comes Inside! posted:

You lied and got what was coming to you, no sympathy

Sometimes they wouldn't even take no for an answer in the first iterations of the series. Especially if you had an item that they were trying to buy/trade off of you. Resetting was, in those cases the only form of defense against the villagers of old.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm glad Blathers actually talks about the things you donate in specifics again.

https://youtu.be/MzFhY6P5V_4?t=364

You're right Blathers, we have to find out who caused the Black Bass invasion and punish them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Khanstant posted:

My New Leaf save is a mess. I started it in one relationship, we both animal'd the hell out of the crossing, we eventually broke up and I forgot my town for a while. Was dating someone else, they started getting into the gamecube or wii one and I was like ohh check out the 3DS one I also have it's even better... Cue them starting their own house and took to raiding the exes house, except obviously a starter house has way less room so there's basically just hundreds of furniture and clothes everywhere. At this point, cleaning out two villagers worth of exes literal baggage is more work than I'm willing to do for that town. Plus everyone cool moved away anyway.

Games with customization can be pretty interesting time-capsules, and every Animal Crossing is no exception.

A collection of Street Passed homes in New Leaf over half a decade can show how fads change over time, how people change.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I would guess the review embargo will probably be up on Friday, to coincide with the themed Switch release. A game like this has to be weird as hell to review.

I remember back in 2013 people who got review copies only had them for like a month. You can barely get the Club unlocked within one month unless you know how to make money and unlock town-related options from day one.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Nemo2342 posted:

Not going to lie, I'm going to be a little sad once the game releases and I have to start doing actual work at work, instead of just looking for more AC news.

The good news is that in the age of free updates/paid DLC, service games and various combinations of them, there will be news to go around for the title for a while.

I mean hopefully they add more than just holidays.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Cockashocka posted:

I wonder if the islander animals from the Gamecube game will make a return.

Most had already been integrated back into the main villager pool by New Leaf and a few more joined up in Welcome Amiibo.

https://nookipedia.com/wiki/List_of_islanders

Very glad I still have my Raddle card.

It will help the island out much to have a medical professional making his home there.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I see no items based on Cherry, Tiffany or Muffy.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

lunar detritus posted:

I hope the pocket camp items can be touched and bought without actually playing it.

Are we still waiting on confirmation in regards to how the catalogue works this time around?

Man what if it turns out there's no all-purpose catalogue? Or it goes the other way and not only is there a catalogue but no items you've held are off limits to purchase from, and you can order like a bunch of things at once without even needing to wait until the afternoon for the mail to arrive?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

"The ink splatter only comes in very select colors."

"Why?"

"You know drat well why."

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

In my dream, I fished up a flounder. But it wasn't a normal-looking Animal Crossing flounder. It was a HYPER REALISTIC FLOUNDER.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Not content with just the Makar mask anymore.

Need all varieties of Korok mask and hopefully be able to put on most villager heads as the custom island head-wear.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

bitprophet posted:

edit the second: oh well here's an annoyingly good reason why they won't: https://twitter.com/willsmith/status/1238653973315248129

We make a snowman on the last day of Winter and keep him inside the fridge in the Resident Services Center for the next nine months.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3T6hHHJPVA

Man this video would have probably been a lot more interesting for most people like...a year ago.

I get the feeling the dude had already put a bunch of time writing and recording the script for the thing before last month's direct and it'd be a huge waste for him to just drop the video...but there's so many fuckin' things that were a problem a year ago that New Horizons solved so the majority of the video is like, "Oh jeez sorry man."

The rest of the video is wanting so much control over the game it gets into like, stuff I'm not even sure the original titles could have feasibly done. Like New Horizons is already granting his wish with being able to not only put down houses and shops anywhere on the map but also move them at any time. Like I'll give you stuff like that could have been done by New Leaf. But when he starts talking about wanting control over the time of day while the game is running without even going back to the main menu it's...I feel like that could be possible, NOW but it's a weird thing to complain about in regards to the older titles. Because I'm pretty sure the older entries really couldn't handle something like that without things getting weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

robot roll call posted:

NOW I am picturing a live action Animal Crossing movies with CATS style cg characters :captainpop:

The train can't start until we find Rover.

Now that's a cat, who loves trains.