Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Wendell posted:

Everything is shutting down. RELEASE IT EARLY, NINTENDO!

Came all the way to this thread to post exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dear lord have I needed to play something nice and chill this week.

My friend code is SW-8479-2275-8884 if your want to come say hi. It will probably be Sunday before I make much progress though (thanks world-ending pandemic! :argh:)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The Lowdog posted:

Hey thanks! 7RYY5 still open for southern hemisphere rainy times.

Mind if I steal a couple cherries to plant back home? (I’m the green dude in the explorer outfit btw)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
How do you donate to a player? Just drop things on the ground?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Boss takes a dollar
I take a dime
That’s why I always trade turnips
On the company’s time

Thanks again for letting me offload these things!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

I meant to take a shot with me mid-shoveling with Sylvia's photo visible but you get the idea. I'd do another take but she got pretty mad.

LMAO once I’m done gentrifying the gently caress out of my island I’m definitely putting an animal graveyard behind my house.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
This feels like a dumb question but is the original AC villager hat something you can obtain in this game?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

KungFu Grip posted:

You mean the horn hat? If you have a QR Code from the last game that had those hats you can scan it in as a pro design

Nice! I might actually so I’ll have to check later.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

peepsalot posted:

I've got Celeste at G-Towne tonight, but not seen a shooting star yet. CF879

also kicks is here, and i had a visit from Wisp, but i don't think he does anything for visitors?

As usual there are some free DIYs, furnishings and fossils near airport.
Free tambourines :wow: for the first 5 visitors (also available in Nooks cranny for the next 40min or so)

And I'm holding a spare gold armor DIY for the first person who calls dibs with their in-game name in thread.

Wood from Glitch heading over to nose around your town and get some shooting stars!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Anybody’s nook twins buying turnips at a halfway decent price? I need to offload these things before they spoil tomorrow.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Sorry guys I had it set to friends only. New code for everyone!

L1N8Y

Sorry for the trouble

Tybalt is also crafting Jungle Flooring if you need that

Thanks! Love your island.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Opening for 20 mins or so. Raddle is crafting Garden Rocks if you want the recipe. I’ll be mostly afk but feel free to wander around.

1) Please don’t shake the money trees.
2)The game at the entrance is just a suggestion. You can just take stuff if you want (they might just be rocks anyways, I can’t remember what I put there)
3) Take any fruit you’d like.

Nook bro’s are selling a saxophone, a vintage TV tray, and a cute bed if you’re interested but turnip prices are poo poo. Able sisters have a space suit which is kind of neat I guess.

Sorry about the mess on the beach, the island is only halfway done being remodeled and I’m just sticking things places until I get 5 stars. The walled area is just a place I’m still working on.

Dodo code: (edit: closing up soon)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 10, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Any islands with decent turnip prices still open?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Nice! On my way.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mykroft posted:

Quoting this in case you need it :)

Thanks! Left you a tip by your house.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Opening Glitch to visitors for a bit. Not all the ramps are done so bring a ladder.

Turnips are selling for 268 bells.

Flick is buying bugs if that's something visitors can do.

Nibbles in the slums is making a Shell Bed.

The Nook Bros have a telescope, a fishing boat flag, and a crazy expensive screen. The renewable items are a board game and digital alarm clock. Nothing particularly noteworthy at Able's

I have some free goodies in the visitor center by the dock. The wheel spin game is on the honor system but the prizes aren't that great so I'm not going to lose sleep over people cheating. Feel free to grab any fruit you'd like but leave the flowers in the western flower field alone for now.

I'll be mostly AFK since I'm still technically on the clock but feel free to wander around. Tips not expected since the turnip prices are kind of meh but If you want to donate a few bells to the ramp at the back of the island it would be much appreciated.

Apologies for the mess around the beaches and zen garden. It's still a work in progress. The mannequins everywhere are just me trying to make the rocks spawn where I want them to and will be gone in a week or so.

Dodo code: Closed for now.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 20, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Lmao of course Flick can only do one commission per visit. Can't wait to do the next one in like 3 weeks

Can you do two on the same day if the second one was requested on another island? If so Flick is at my island right now if you'd like (see dodo code in previous post.)

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I grabbed the screen and donated to your bridge. Thanks!

Thanks!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Nemo2342 posted:

Sadly you can't sell bugs or request commissions from Flick/CJ when they are on someone else's island.

Prowler posted:

CJ, Flick, and Label do not deal with visitors. They will say, "I'll come to your island soon, don't worry" or something similar.

Booo!

Now I know I guess. Thanks for visiting!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Redd is here. Please don't take the diner neon signs. They are only for touching!

Dodo code is closed. Everything is gone!

Dang, too slow. Cool town though!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I don’t suppose anybody has any tombstones and/or beach and poolside stuff that I could touch? I have a secret graveyard and mega pool on my estate that needs finishing and all my beaches are bare because this game won’t give me anything to put on them.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

E-flat posted:

I have a poolside bed you can touch!

I’m back open at 7MQH3

Saharah is on my east beach.

On my way to get Cheeto dust all over your stuff!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

E-flat posted:

I have a poolside bed you can touch!

I’m for now closed that interest seems to have dried up!

Saharah is on my east beach.

Thanks again! This is exactly what I needed.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Licarn posted:

Tia is making a Western-style Stone

To get to Tia's house, follow the path from the plaza, it will take you into the northern cliffs. Just keep following the path, it will take you up, around, and back down, then go right, Tia's house is the cyan house at the top-left.

Please water the roses to the right of the plaza if you want to.

Dodo code is in the PGS thread

YES! Needed that so badly.

Also, the hell did you teach your animal friends to say “hail satan”!?

E: left bells for you by Abels

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 23, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Anybody have any beach chairs or surfboards I can fondle (or is that a recipe?) I’m drowning in clothes and indoor goodies but this game is stingy as hell with outdoor decorations for some reason.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

E-flat posted:

Awright which one of you fuckos is it

(Meteor Shower sans Celeste at 3 Flats! Come visit me at 18TWF. I'm surprised how few visitors I've gotten)

Thanks again! That was fun.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Somebody earlier wanted zen garden ideas. Here's mine:

Also while I'm sharing let me show you around my island a bit! It's still only around 2/3rds done (I need SO MUCH furniture...) but I worked hard and want to show it off dammit!

Anyways, my island is capitalism themed. This means that I own about a third of the map as a private estate surrounded by 2 story walls and iron fences to keep the poors out.

The entrance to my property looks like this:

Up the stairs and to the left is the pool I'm working on. :

It's still pretty sparse but you can kind of see where It's going. Also, to the north of that photo is where a stage will be:

When it's done I'll host a goon pool party where we all dress up as rich psychopaths or something

Off to the side is this area, which is gated off and can't be reached. I wonder what's down there..:

Oh...

By the way there's an axe buried in the graveyard just out of view. I'm sure that's nothing to worry about.

Off to the side of my property is where the help lives. It's a perfectly ordinary house:

Or is it!?

It's probably best not to ask too many questions about that...

To the south where the planes let you out is the visitor center. It's designed so I can add a few fences and keep visitors contained if I want to let people sell turnips/buy poo poo but don't want to babysit them.

There's also a pizzeria!

To the west lives the middle class in their gated suburban community:

There's a park at the end of the street that's not at all safe for children because I wrote the safety codes and own the economy:

Further west are the flower fields where I'm currently trying to raise gold and blue roses. There's a spot to the south reserved for when the sloth inevitably gets his own shop in a future update.

North of that is a community park where I can make speeches about how great I am.

Directly behind the trees is the museum. The entrance looks like this:

There's a nature trail going north beside it to the national park but that's not done yet so no pictures for now.

And of course, no capitalist utopia would be complete without poor people! Just to the east of city hall is the entrance to Sector 7, where I put all the inferior and lazy animals. I surrounded the area with trees and flowers so visitors won't have to look at them. About half the animal population of the island lives here.

Here's what the streets look like. I only just now planted the weeds but give it some time (and a few more trash bags) and the area will have a nice rundown look.

In the back is a small park the animals made for their children among the debris:

Note that this and the tree in the community park are the only peach trees available to the public despite the fruit being native to the island. The rest can only be found on my estate where I hoard them for personal profit. Isn't capitalism fun!?

You may think me cruel, but they have it MUCH better than whoever is living in the woods of my estate:

That's all that's fit to take pictures of at the moment. I'll post more as I finish/update things. Thanks for tolerating my insanely long post!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

"Tolerate" nothing, that was brilliant.

So I just unlocked bridges, inclines, and moving stuff around today, but Nook wants an exorbitant fee for doing them. Like, more than my home loan. You do get full god-mode unrestricted terraforming and moving stuff around later, don't you? This can't seriously be it.

Thanks!

Nope, you always need to spend a ton to move things around but fortunately the game gives you more money as you progress so it's not as big of an issue as you'd think.

Some common revenue sources are:
-Duplicate fossils
-Fruit trees (Plant a bunch! Remember, foreign fruit sells for more than the local ones)
-Bell tickets (at the endgame there's nothing else to really spend nook miles on)
-Gold roses ($1k per flower and they regenerate every couple days)
-Selling turnips to goons :siren:

Plus, once you unlock teraforming you can always just mark the space where a house will be and just build around that while you wait for the money for the move to come in.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for your kind words everybody!

paperwind posted:

Is it a coincidence your villager seems to resemble Elon Musk?

Yes but lmao all the same. Gonna lean into that going forward.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Any towns still open with decent nip prices right now?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

peepsalot posted:

I'm still open @ 531 bells, see the PGS thread, Nooks closes in 35 minutes.

Thank you sir! Left a tip with the person I assume was you.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Kaiju15 posted:

My shameful little island is buying turnips for 563.

https://turnip.exchange/island/97547477

Got a comm error when I tried to join :(

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Foam Monkey posted:

Dang never got a Area is Full notification before.

I keep getting interference (I assume from people landing and leaving).

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Foam Monkey posted:

It is nuts considering that they can update for a museum event but can’t improve multiplayer.

It’s probably easier said than done. If multiplayer was an afterthought or they made some major fuckup early on in development that affects key features of the game then fixing these things may require basically remaking large sections of the game. Coding can be a bitch like that.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Nemo2342 posted:

I played Pocket Camp from launch until about 2 months before NH.

At first it was pretty inoffensive. You could use premium tickets to speed up crafting or expand your inventory, but you had a fair amount of it for free so it was cool.

Then they started adding events, and each event either strongly encouraged you to spend tickets to collect all the rewards (unless you checked in 7 times a day like I was doing) or had stuff you could buy with tickets only while the event was on. But it still wasn't too bad, because the events awarded plenty of tickets so you came close to breaking even if you were careful.

It started going rapidly downhill once they added in the fortune cookies. They're 100% pure gacha, and the amount of tickets they cost were clearly meant to drain the balances of people who were otherwise not using their tickets. And of course each cookie is only sold for a limited time, so better buy them all now before the furniture you want is gone for good.

After this they started introducing limited-time clothing sets, which of course could only be bought with tickets. And the (expensive!) furniture that let you summon unique animals (like Celeste) to your camp started showing up regularly, so you couldn't really save up for them any more.

This is when the game started going really downhill. New animals were added, but they no longer unlocked new furniture as you built friendship with them. Events started rewarding less tickets, and we started seeing more palette swapped furniture. New furniture and clothing was largely relegated to the fortune cookies and limited time sales, so you either ponied up the real money or went without.

While I am thankful that Pocket Camp brought me into the world of Animal Crossing, I resent how blatantly cash grabby it became. If you're going to end up spending real money on a game anyway, get NH where you can actually interact with other players and leave Pocket Camp in the mobile hell it belongs in.

Something people never talk about is how much all that monetization just makes a game less fun to play. Set aside the cost, even if I had infinite money why do I want to play something that’s nagging me every 30 seconds to pony up cash or watch a bunch of ads? Why would I want to keep track of four separate currencies or navigate through overwhelming menu mazes designed to pull your attention away from the main game and towards one of fifty mini games (usually a slot machine of some kind) you need to spend cash to play?

If they ever bring that poo poo into NH I’m dropping this game like a rock despite probably investing over 100 hours into it at this point. Not because I’m unwilling to spend more money (I’d be ok with a DLC for example), but because it would make the game completely unplayable.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 29, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Does this game have any giant umbrellas I can set up around my beach or pool for shade?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Excellent!

Now put fences at the top of the walls so visitors can't cheat and go over them. :devil:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Is “somebody quietly left” code for minusing out?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Opening up Insulinde again. Turnip prices are 500!

See full post here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923566&pagenumber=5#post505370032

Thanks! Left you a tip by your house

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Redd is selling some particularly pretty art (no idea if it's fake) so I'm opening my capitalist hellstate Glitch for an hour or so. Bring a ladder since there's no incline to his boat. EDIT: Gone now but there's still a white bbq and a blue cone if you want

It is currently raining so now's a good time to do some fishing.

Turnips ain't selling for poo poo.

Nibbles is making a leaf mask.

Nooks are selling a throwback wall clock, a digital scale, and a diner dining tableall sold out. Their unlimited items are a pop-up toaster and a tissue box.

Abels sisters are selling a mage's robe but othewise not anything all that special.

The roped off area is the red light district. It's not done yet.

Left a couple free goodies and DIYs near the entrance. Feel free to grab them. Go easy on the fruit for now though. I want to show off the town to somebody later.

If anybody has any simple panels in either black, brown or dark red please bring them by so I can touch them. Willing to offer bells if needed. Otherwise I'll mostly be AFK.

Dodo code: In the code thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923566&pagenumber=6#post505434782

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Capitalist hellhole town updates!

So my pool area is more or less complete. You can see the stage in the background.

Here's a shot of it at night. I really wish it got a bit darker so the lights could have a bit more impact.

I made a stargazing area for when goons come over to view meteor showers (those are money trees btw).

I was going to make a red light district but a combination of space limits and difficulty making any outside space look like it's inside made me scrap the idea. I've since moved my more degenerate ideas into my house, which is now a shady love hotel. It's all still a bit of a work in progress but here's the lobby.

Here's the actual room you can purchase for the night.

And from another angle

Finally I made this porno studio that I will eventually transfer to the basement (when I actually have one). It still needs a couple spotlights and better snacks for the services table. Because my actors work hard and they deserve the best, damnit!

(No, I don't know what's wrong with me either.)

Prowler posted:

There are people with 500-700 hours in the game and it's been out since late March. People stuck at home don't need to time travel to get elaborate setups. They just need turnips, friends, and a lot of free time.

Can confirm. I have done zero time travel so far.