Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Turnips are 450 on my island if anyone still needs to unload them.

1PP46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Tiler Kiwi posted:

thanks for this!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Thanks again man! I don't really do a lot of turniping all that much but it's nice to get them out of the way for a good price when I can.

Y’all’re welcome!

Island is still open: 1PP46
Turnips are 450.

I’m gonna go afk.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
When did they change spawns? I started playing maybe 10 days ago.

I think I read somewhere that the interest rate change was in response to people jumping their console a decade or two ahead to gain the interest, not the turnip market.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Surely people will just set the clock forward a few more decades?

Haha, that’s a good point.

If they really wanted to curtail turnips it doesn’t seem like it would be that hard. You could raise the price floor to buy and lower the ceiling for sales. That’d raise risk and lower reward—although more so for people that just stick to a small group of friends. If you look around online, there’s really no risk regardless.

More effective would be making it so Turnips only stacked to 10 or 20 instead of 100. After selling 70 stacks (and grossing 3 million) this week, I’m never buying more than I can conveniently stash.

It ruined my house and island for half a week to have all those turnips lying around.

Maybe I really won’t need any more money, though? I dunno yet.

Kyrosiris posted:

Sure, but even assuming 2 million in seed money, you'd need like... what, 30-ish years? to match one week's turnip profits assuming a full inventory and a 500 bell sell price.

It adds up to a whole lot of "who gives a poo poo?" while turnips exist at all.

It was something you could do on your own, though. That’s just about the only difference I can see.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Ariza posted:

I think I accidentally traveled back in time two hours while fixing my time zone and now all of my turnips have rotted. I put every cent of the money I've been saving forever to buy all of them and it's almost enough to make me quit. I just completed spending enough to move every house into a neighborhood set-up over weeks, saving everything for a big payday.

That sucks. How much did you lose?

I’d chip in 100k to get you back on your feet. I hate when stuff like this makes me quit games.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
Where do y’all store all these DIY recipes? It’s be nice to hold them to trade or give away, but I can’t stand having stuff just littered around.

Even having turnips ends up being gross. I built a fenced-in pen that holds 3500 but next week I’m downsizing to a tidy 1600.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

hollylolly posted:

Are wooden signs DIY or...? I want some. :smith:

I ran into the same question!

They’re just one method of displaying a custom design.

So you can make a design then select something like display here and then select art or whatever the non mannequin and on ground option is.

Fake edit: I should answer questions while actually looking at the menu.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

runchild posted:

Hollylolly might be referring to the “Plain wooden shop sign” which is more like your stereotypical video game sign compared to the “Display Here” easel you’re talking about. It is indeed a DIY. The easel certainly works in a pinch though, and doesn’t cost crafting materials and customization kits to set up.

There’s also a couple different smaller wooden signs that can’t take a custom design but can be changed to point towards different icons.

Oh! Didn’t know about that shop sign. That sounds neat.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

My sweet summer child :allears:

But what actually are you spending that much on?

Just redoing infrastructure a bunch?

4m or so would get you 8 bridges and 8 inclines at their high price. Seems like at some point you’d have them where you want them to be. And moving villagers barely adds up.

It doesn’t seem like there’s enough high priced furniture and clothes to make a real dent after you spend 2 million on crowns.

I’m curious about where all the money goes.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Well if I wanted to gift my favourite Islanders the crowns they deserve there's 4M down the drain in as many minutes, plus there's friends

I'm gonna have to redo my infrastructure at some point with better bridges, so there's a mil down the drain, and right after I made my 11M I paid off the last 2M loan

On a non-crown Able day but with new stuff in Nook's it's easy to spend 1/4 of a mil in the blink of an eye

Then I like gifting people expensive things like Servers, musical instruments, etc

:shrug: it's easy to spend money, what can I say?

Ha! That’s fair! I wasn’t thinking big enough.

Thanks for the answer.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

fancy stats posted:

Daisy Mae is selling turnips at 93 today if anyone's interested, code is BXNYM.

Feel free to pick some fruit or grab any of the items I've got lying around. Also, Rex is making wooden bookshelves, if you're missing that (he's on the eastern end of my boardwalk).

Ugh. I’m sorry.

My kid turned off the tv right before I left, and I got disconnected.

Hopefully it didn’t shut down the island.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
Kabuki is making a bonsai table if anyone wants the recipe.

He’s in the south east corner.

438RY

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Boonoo posted:

Kabuki is making a bonsai table if anyone wants the recipe.

He’s in the south east corner.

438RY

I’ll also drop some pitfall seeds. I think if you bury one and then dig it up you’ll get the DIY.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
Whoops! Connection lost.

Here it is back up 6RCC3.

Kabuki is making a bonsai table and I have some pitfall seeds available.

kabuki is in the south east corner.

McCracAttack posted:

Got a “1 or more consoles it’s not responding” error when I tried. In my experience that’s caused by a NAT type issue. Do you get a NAT type of B or better when you do the connection test in the Switch’s settings?

Oh, not sure. I may have just had a bad WiFi signal. I’ll have to check that out later.

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 10, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Prowler posted:

Turns out I already had it, but of course cannot make it yet.

I was the pilot who watered a ton of things, including your rose/mum field with the beekeeper's hive. I didn't see any sparkles on your flowers before me!

Edit: I also left two blue hyacinths by you.

Thanks so much for the flowers and for all the watering!

And thanks to the folks that left furniture and bells!

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

JohnnySmitch posted:

So do villagers teach the Ironwood Dresser recipe? I thought I read somewhere that it was only available in bottles. I've been churning through Nook Miles tickets trying to find it on random beaches...

I learned it from a villager—on another goon‘a island.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
I've got turnips selling for 548 right now.

Not sure how long the island will be open, but, at the latest, Nook's closes in 2 and a half hours.

Here's the link.

Edit: closed!

Tips are appreciated, houseplants are better! Don't worry about watering flowers.

Nook's Cranny is in the northwest corner. Straight up, veer a little to the left, across the bridge, and up some more. Can't miss it.

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 13, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thank you! I sure hope the person I gave my tip to outside of Nook's was you. :v:

Assuming you were the one decked out in blackhawks gear, it was!

Thanks!

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Boonoo posted:

I've got turnips selling for 548 right now.

Not sure how long the island will be open, but, at the latest, Nook's closes in 2 and a half hours.

Here's the link.

https://turnip.exchange/island/49d35f3d

Tips are appreciated, houseplants are better! Don't worry about watering flowers.

Nook's Cranny is in the northwest corner. Straight up, veer a little to the left, across the bridge, and up some more. Can't miss it.

Portia's making Money Flooring if anyone wants to grab that, too. She's across the river to the east, just past the bridge.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to everyone that came! Y'all are super generous and super people!

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
Are there any DIYs that are especially worth opening up an island for? I love getting new recipes, so I’m happy in almost any case. But what’s worth the extra effort of opening and staying open?

My sense is that anything ironwood, the cutting board, and anything gold tends to get called out a lot.

Anything else that folks are hunting for?

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Flaming Lime posted:

A villager of mine is crafting the golden rose crown. Is that something y’all would be interested in?

I’d come get it!

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Flaming Lime posted:

Ok :-) dodo code 5S28W

Cool!

On an unrelated note, I think that Canberra’s birthday skunked my plans to get someone to move out.

Yesterday Kabuki was thinking about moving, so I avoided him all day. Today it should have jumped to someone else right?

No one wants to leave, though. Hopefully it’ll pick back up tomorrow. I really want to get rid of Prince!

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

If you can't craft it, it's "development" not "scenery".

If you can craft it, don't worry, it still counts for scenery even if it's not huge. See below.

I don't think it's being read entirely right, but in fairness it is worded in an incredibly opaque way.

You are correct about the important distinction between Scenery and Development, but it's not just big DIY furniture that counts towards scenery. All DIY furniture helps.

Specifically it's reported to say that for less than 10 DIY furniture in an 8x8 block you get the number of furniture x0.25 points.

That's a loving stupid way to say "DIY furniture is usually worth 1/4th of a point". The reason it says that is because you get a bonus for variety if you have more than 10 furniture in the area, so the formula becomes more complicated.

This doesn't matter.

Short, sensible version: DIY furniture gives you 1 point if it's at least 3 tiles in any dimension. Otherwise it gives 1/4th of a point.

There you can crank out more points by putting a ton of different stuff in a small area but no one needs to actually care about that bullshit. Just crank out more poo poo to make your score more better.

Just remember the basics:
If you need Scenery, plant dozens of flowers and maybe put out more DIY furniture. Any DIY furniture will help. But not as much as flowers which are really easy to spam, so consider massive flower fields if you're desperate.
If you need Development, put out furniture you can't craft. Stores/bridges/etc. help, but lets face it, you're looking for something you can spam if you're trying to crank up your rating, so like, empty your closet on to your beach. But only for development.

What Isabelle says doesn't actually matter. She's asking for fences? gently caress it, plant flowers. She's asking for more shops? gently caress it, just throw a sofa on the beach (just make sure it's store bought).

And as ever, because this is literally all I seem to care about don't pick your weeds.

Weed picking is a personal choice. They don't help town rating at all, but they don't hurt it. Do not do it just to boost your rating. It makes me sad because as far as I can tell there's no way to actually grow them, so if you pick a tall weed it's gone forever.

Going to quote this whole thing for the new page.

But about the end point. Planted weeds do grow. Someone up thread mentioned that they grow in response to water —canned and rain.

I planted a bunch that began super short and that are now tall. I watered them a couple times and had a bunch of rain.

I believe the same post also mentioned that they also have a chance to spread( with a greater chance depending on how many weeds total you have), so you can reseed your island.

I really don’t know the technical details, so don’t quote me there, but I do have evidence that they do grow back into tall weeds.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

sba posted:

I figure there's people looking for this since it's part of the Robot Hero - Marshal is crafting GOLD ARMOR - Leif is here - going to open for a bit

164DB

Marshal's house is upper middle of the island.

There's a couple DIY's in the plaza as well.

Looks like Marshal’s all wrapped up.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

I know it will never happen because "Nintendo", but I would love to know why this game's online plays like they never actually hooked it up to the internet and tested it with real people. Jokes about Nintendo being bad at the internet aside, they made two Splatoon games. Someone there knows something about the internet.

Or was it design from the ground up just for "you and your friends" and they didn't anticipate how folks would actually use it?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the grand majority of people playing do just fall into the “you and your friends” side of things.

I’d love to see completion stats, though.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Only the Resident Representative gets those tutorial recipes, so they still need to be in the random DIY pool or other residents on the same island would never be able to get them.

Oh dang! That’s good to know.

I’d been tossing those recipes instead of saving them for visitors. I’ll have to hang on to them in the future.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
Come visit beautiful Manzanita! Eat my apples!

Kabuki is making iron armor and I’m overflowing with DIY copies.

Kabuki is in the south east corner. DIY yard is between the airport and the museum.

I also have an overgrown mountain top cemetery that I like.

Teddy is in boxes if you want a bland jock bear.

Able’s has ski masks!
Kicks has pink shiny bow platforms.

Nook’s is closed :<

Dodo: closed VVVV I wanted to get that chair! I’ll try and dump DIYs another time.

If anyone really want teddy PM me and I’ll open.

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 21, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
I had good luck with new villagers today!

I was able to find Apple on an island, and Wolfgang showed up at the campsite. He just offered to move in, and the first villager he asked to replace was the one (Prince) I wanted to leave

I still need a jock. Right now I have two normal, two lazy, and two cranky villagers, so I’ll have to see which double should go.

Redd also showed up, but he had four fakes. :<

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
I’ve got more DIYs than I can stand. If anyone wants them please come take some!

I’ll lay out fossils, too.

It’s raining. Turnips are 58. Ables has jester hats. It’s Colton’s bday!

But this is really about the DIYs. They’re to the right of the airport.

If you’re feeling extra generous, I’ve got black roses up by my house that could use some water!

Dodo: closed!

Edit: Sahara is here, too.

Closed! Thanks for swinging by!

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 22, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
I decided to jump back in time to get some of those cherry blossom recipes. I started playing just a few days after it ended, so I figure it’s worth time traveling for. There are maybe 3 or 4 recipes I want, so I’ll quit once I get them

I’ve discovered a few things and have a question.

1) it’s really drat hard to collect the recipes. I initially thought I’d wait for it to happen in the Southern Hemisphere, but now I know that wouldn’t work at all. Maybe you could refresh your blossom supply. No way any visitor is getting a recipe, though.

2) I’ve barely played back in early April and I already hate everything to do with the eggs. I can’t imagine almost 2 weeks of that.

3) other than turnips, is there anything to know or worry about with time travel?

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh dear. Are you doing the balloon spawning trick? Link here of how that's done.

It's the only sane way to collect all those recipes. I did it on the last few days before the cherry blossom thing ended and it still took hours, spread out over those several days.

Make sure to catch the petals when you spot them, too.

Oh! I’ll have to try this out.

I was just tooting around the island like I normally do and getting the balloons as they spawned. Doing some jumps to swap between morning noon and night.

Geemer posted:

Sweet summer child, you started after they reduced the egg spawn rates. The memes of skies and rivers full of eggs were barely an exeggeration.

It makes me glad I didn’t start playing during the event! I think my first day was the 14th.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

The cherry blossom trees are so pretty. I started playing after the event, but if Im reading right the regular trees turn into cherry blossom trees from April 1-10 and then go back to not existing? Theres no way to plant a pedal and grow a tree?

edit: ya no one has to answer this I just wanna bitch :mad:

A cherry blossom tree would have been a great DIY recipe for the event.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Opening my island just because Ables have Cat Cap and Renaissance Dress

I'm in the middle of starting a bunch of projects so things are pretty boring right now :shobon:

Dodo is K64GP

I need recipes for flagstones and walkways because I can't buy them yet :(

You have to progress to a certain point before you can buy them.

Spoilers for progression if you care about that sort of thing:

Once you do enough Nook starts talking about getting kk slider to your town to play a concert. After you hit a 3 star rating on your evaluation he’ll show up. After that Tom Nook will unlock a terraforming feature. You can change the land and lay down different pathing materials.

It’s only after you unlock that that you can purchase those abilities.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
I’ve got Redd in town!

Fake detailed painting and a fake jolly painting still left.

I also have a ton of DIYs, please take them! DIY yard is just to the right of the airport.

If you’re in a watering mood, there’s a river island where I’m doing hybrids. The pansies by the museum could also use a drink.

Deli is crafting an orange wall—he’s just north east of residential services.

Dodo:closed!

Thanks for watering and clearing out that DIY pile!!

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 26, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
The trouble with getting anyone good in the first five is how bad those houses are. I wish they’d slowly turn them into their real houses as you upgraded yours.

I’m slowly rotating out my original five. The only one I may keep is lazy Anchovy. He is my special boy, and the dirty log cabin kinda fits his style.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
Dang! The queue needs a queue!

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer
I wish there were was a more granular breakdown in island rating. I moved from 1 to 4 pretty steadily, but have no idea if I’m anywhere near 5.

A 10 point scale where 5 was the old 3 would be nice.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Redd finally showed up for the second time ever, and all his art was fake. Any interest in a fake Mona Lisa, Wild painting, or Scenic painting?

I would! I love fake art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Grimey Drawer

Boonoo posted:

I wish there were was a more granular breakdown in island rating. I moved from 1 to 4 pretty steadily, but have no idea if I’m anywhere near 5.

A 10 point scale where 5 was the old 3 would be nice.

Aaaaand I put down maybe 5 more things on a few areas of the beach and I’m at 5 stars!