Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
villager posting? villager posting. Got these three so far:

Only cute villagers allowed on my island. Dom is extra adorable, but unfortunately, is a jock. drat you, Dom.

Clocks posted:

Also you can flat out shovel and replant entire trees. I took some coconut trees and extra apple trees home from the deserted island I visited, as well as some flowers. The benefit to this is you don't need to wait extra days for them to grow on your island, the only downside is it takes a fruit-energy to do. It's also helpful if you want to do landscaping on your town without straight up chopping down trees. Cheers everyone!
Being able to just straight up uproot a tree and shove it into your pocket is simultaneously the greatest and funniest addition to the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Qubee posted:

What are those x/10 apple marker things denoting? I ate 10 apples and they slowly go down but I have no idea what benefits it gives.
every fruit you eat gives you a point of super strength, to allow you to do poo poo like "uproot an entire tree and put it in your pocket"

also, amusingly:
https://twitter.com/MallowyGoodness/status/1240895491216257026

e: 2nd deserted island I went to gave me Bob, hell yeah

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 21, 2020

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

this took forever and a half to recreate but I did it

please put up QR codes, twitter users

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

Can you even share designs via QR anymore? The app seems to deliberately exclude New Horizons from the list of supported games for QR scanning.
you have to set up Nooklink from the title menu of the game to do it.
I used it to port over my Gurren Laggan flag from New Leaf! :kamina:

unfortunately, you still can't edit designs you get from QR code for reasons beknownst only to nintendo, so you can't touch up those older designs to make them look nicer with the new resolution.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

Yeah, what I meant is that there doesn't seem to be a way to share New Horizons designs, only designs from New Leaf and HHD.
Huh.
...Maybe (hopefully) sharing them is just something locked behind Sabel & Mabel's shop? It seems weird to keep the QR capabilities but not the ability to create QR codes.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Calaveron posted:

So is the only way to get villagers to go island scouting? That super sucks because waking up and finding a new neighbor wandering around was a highlight of the previous games
counterpoint: no more waking up to find out that one of those dipshit duck villagers has moved in.

Republicans posted:

You want that fish bait to bait fish, anyways. Especially because the little aquariums they're in can be lit up by activating them.
where does one acquire fish bait, I have yet to find the recipe or the item

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh God I ended up on an Island that was full of tarantulas :stonk:
catch all of them, they sell for really good money (like, 7 or 8 thousand a pop)

Riven posted:

My four year old ate a bunch of oranges and broke all the rocks in my starting area. Don’t suppose they come back after a time? Don’t love that we share an island right now.
the rocks regenerate, yes!
at a rate of 1 per day :v:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Didn't recruit 3 people in time, assumed the 3rd house would just stay empty until I found someone I liked? Nope. :sigh:

Zore posted:

There are only villagers on the expedition islands until you recruit 3 of them.

After that people start moving in randomly ala the older games
it's honestly baffling that they would give you the ability to recruit villagers, and then almost immediately take that away and go back to the old method of "praying you don't get an annoying/rear end in a top hat/ugly villager."
...Well, I say baffling, but stupid decisions are par for the course at nintendo. :v:

can anyone confirm whether or not you at least get to choose where their houses go? I want to make my island actually pretty this time, and that can't happen if some chucklefuck parks themselves in the middle of my orchard instead of the villager neighborhood.
:allears:

keirharder posted:

Worst part is he only lets you donate 10 then locks down again. My item is full of fossils/bugs/fish from day one, I never time travel but this was kind of a lovely decision I think. Wouldn’t be so bad if you could easily track what you’ve donated already but since you can’t I feel like I’d miss stuff if I sold things now :/
blathers, please, take all of my loving fish, doing this in increments is ridiculous

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i vomit kittens posted:

I really hope the cost of moving buildings isn't too much. My island is split into two big areas that take up the SW/NE side with a smaller island in the middle. The dream is to make the SW area a district with all of the shops, have all of the animal houses in the NE, and then my gf and I can live on the center island. Things have been kind of haphazardly placed for now, though, since I don't have the ability to explore the NE side at all.
supposedly, moving player houses costs 30,000, but everything else costs 50,000

not sure whether or not you can move resident services, but I'm betting on "no"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/Wosha_/status/1241305543869976576

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm happy to see this is all of us right now
AC community as deranged as ever, i see

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Scholtz posted:

I want a refund.
at least it recognizes him as an amiibo, Wolf Link is flat out no longer supported :negative:
the datamine'd villager list has Wolf07 and Wolf11 missing, so, maybe he'll be added in a future update? :ohdear:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Argue posted:

What the gently caress... I was fine leaving the gates open because I thought only best friends could do destructive operations on your town... but while I was having lunch, one of you assholes came in and took all my saplings. I'd completed all the non-native fruit and now all of them are gone. :mad:
the only people who can make changes to the town (ie: axe & shovel permissions) are "best friends," and you have to add them manually. So, unless you went crazy with adding folks on there, the number of culprits should be small?
Unless you mean you literally just dropped them on the ground without planting them, to which I would say: why

e: beaten

Argue posted:

Sorry for jumping the gun, I figured it out. People can't actually do that unless they're marked best friends. And one of mine took the trees because he thought those changes wouldn't persist on my town. So he's on his way to give back my trees.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/nocturneis/status/1241345111901913088?s=19

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

is it just me or are wasps like, super common now

I remember GCN animal crossing I'd get stung like, once a week? They were rare enough to make me go "oh poo poo"
Granted, now you have to whack trees a lot more, but I've routinely been chased by them multiple times a day

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

everyone post fashion

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Goobish posted:

Anyone have a couple iron nuggets or some rocks I could come bang on? I'm not sure how to be allowed to bang on other people's rocks, some nonesense about being best friends first. I only need two more iron it's maddening!
dodo code HN8S6, I'l drop ya some ore

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Qubee posted:

If Goobish didn't take you up on your offer to help, I'd be insanely grateful if you extended the offer to me. I'm stuck on day 3 and no upgraded Nook's shop cause I destroyed all my rocks.
you can have 2 iron as well

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Qubee posted:

I've got work in the morning so I'm heading off, how can I add you? I would walk til the end of the earth to get these two iron nuggies.
Feel free to add me on switch, then hit me up when you see me on. 2717-6841-1699 (switch username is "wafflies")

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

if my island disconnects while you're on it: sorry, my internet is dumb and I don't have an ethernet setup in my room (yet)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

SDV is good if you are the kind of psychotic person who gets enjoyment from massive automated farms producing millions of dollars worth of fruit & wine (like me)
SDV is bad if you want a game with likeable characters

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Murvin posted:

I have a minor emergency because I'm an idiot! I built my 3 houses, but then proceed to build a bridge across a river that DOESN'T connect to them....did I gently caress myself/my future residents over?
I don't believe the residents actually care where they can wander

Snake Maze posted:

Okay, I just found a recipe for a bamboo wand. It's a tool, but when I try to use it it just says "You haven't registered any outfits". Anyone know what the deal with that is? How do I register an outfit?

Can... can I do a magical girl transformation with it??
if this game literally has magical girl wands it'll be a serious contender for Game of the Decade

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I have decided that tarantulas are actually quite annoying

they rely on visual cues to know when to approach and when to stop, but the camera makes it impossible to see the lil' fuckers if they're anywhere near a tree
(which is especially galling when you realize that in certain areas the game will pan all the way up to a top down view, but refuses to let you do that all the time)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i do not have any spare pears but I will drop oranges for you!!

e: i grabbed 3 apples, dropped some oranges in payment, and then was immediately disconnected, deleting the apples from existence. alas.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 23, 2020

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/kumabooty/status/1241588457148801025

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Sistergodiva posted:

Is 147 bells a decent price to offload my turnips?

Also will my gf ever get the recipes I got for the home bulding?
we don't know exactly what the turnip price ranges will be yet, but I'd say selling at a +50% value is pretty good? AFAIK the prices tended to be from 50 bells to 200 most of the time in New Leaf, with the occasional ridiculous outlier of ~800.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

I wish there was a cheat code that turned the cans that anyone is drinking into beer and all the people on the island return to the rude crude gamecube standards
I'm continually upset that the villagers were only really allowed to be bastards in the first game

in other news, this was too great not to share:

someone from tumblr posted:

You’re a dodo bird, working as an airline pilot. Your job is to take one human from one populated island to deserted ones when they turn in a ticket for that exact purpose. At first, this was a normal, easy job, and the human would come back with a full backpack of fruit, wood, and flowers, all while looking pleased. It wasn’t long until the human got used to this service, and they start asking you to take them to various deserted islands in the dead of night. You oblige, for it is your lot in life, and you’re paid very well. These night time visits to the islands seemed to be different. You could hear the ominous sounds of trees crashing to the ground and of metal hitting stone, and then silence for hours on end. Occasionally, your passenger would need first aid attention, and you’d feel relief and then shock as they would come to, pull out their net, and wander back onto the island. Every so often they would trudge up to the docks and you feel a sense of hope, wondering if they were ready to go home yet. They aren’t. They need a lovely net, and pay you in Nook Miles. Then they run back out onto the island, completely devoid of trees, boulders, and any signs of life.

One day, on the flight back to the main island, you ask them, “So what is it do you do out here on those little islands anyhow?”

They smile a weary smile, their face bruised and swollen from wasp stings, before reaching for their backpack, which has the Nook Inc. logo lovingly sewn into it. Curious, you take a peek, and recoil in horror as countless tarantulas threaten to spill out into your seaplane. The human closes the bag tightly, taking care not to injure any of the tarantulas inside.

You decide not to ask any more questions about what this human does in their spare time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Catalina posted:

All right, whenever I unlock and figure out how to use the Campsite, I've got some Amiibo cards I can scan. Maybe one is your favorite villager! I'm playing without time traveling, so I can do like one a day when I've scanned my faves in. I would also be interested in trading for other villagers.
would you even be able to get villagers from other people's campsites?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

me: oh my god I can't believe i haven't paid off my second house loan yet, I need to grind for a bunch of bugs so that I can have it done by tomorrow

me, five minutes later: wait a minute, this game is supposed to be something you play literally all year long, why am I trying to bumrush the house payments on day five

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

lol after the villagers move in you can just take back the exterior furniture you gave them
you could!
or, alternatively, you could accept that it looks cute and add some furniture to the starter villager's houses as well

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

currently sad there's no button config option for this game
L doesn't do anything normally, but ZL is the phone. If I could switch the phone to L, I could use my gamecube controller to play without issue.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

If I have one complaint with this game it's how fish bait is handled.
A: Clams don't stack in the inventory
B: 1 clam = 1 fish bait
C: you can't craft something in batches, only one at a time

Change any of those things and searching for stuff like the stringfish (or the marlin) would be so much better

professor metis posted:

If there is a rock in the way of what I want to eventually make into a path, will I be able to move it at some point? If I destroyed it and then put things on top of where it was, would it regenerate in a different location?
they regenerate in a random location regardless of whether there's stuff there or not, AFAIK

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bob has been one of my favorites since the first game, and I'm so glad I got him early on. :allears:
You go, Bob, yell as much as you want.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Can you get rid of villagers you don't like?

And why did my third home fill up with some dude named Filbert?
Your third home filled up because you didn't invite anybody before installing that prime real estate, and as such got sniped

you can remove villagers you don't like with this easy*, foolproof, 100% reliable** method:
-bonk them on the head with your net a bunch
-talk to everyone else except them

*it can take a while
**sometimes it just flat out doesn't work?

please understand

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Sea Lily posted:

do we know if inviting animals to the campsite in this with amiibo cards can bump villagers out like in New Leaf?
apparently, yes!
From what I've heard, you need to invite them three days in a row, and ask them to move in every day. Do whatever mini-quests they give you each day, and on the third day, if you have an open plot (don't put it down earlier than that or you'll probably get a rando), they'll finally agree!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

caught golden trout & char from two leftover bait I had on me, nice

also, friend had a meteor shower, which is extra nice. Fun fact! if you talk to celeste, she'll give you the recipe even if you aren't the host!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

Can you buy fish bait? I thought you could, but now I'm feeling dumb thinking that maybe you can't.
you cannot!

...but hopefully you can when nook shop upgrades

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah it's that page's editor. You do a conversion of a photo you upload and then you can use the Switch App QR code scanner to get it into ACNH, :siren:BUT:siren: in order for it to work, once you upload the image to the website before you generate the QR code you must edit the credits of the image to be "a" (no quotation marks) for the name, creator, and town name, otherwise the Switch App will give you a 3999 Error and you cannot upload it. Because of this naming bug you have to do it one at a time. Then once you've scanned the code, go into the game's Nook Phone and go to the custom editor and on the non-pro one, choose a blank canvas and press + to upload from the Switch App. Once the patern is in your game you can hang it on your wall, wear it as a tank-top shirt, or use it to customize things like your in-game phone case or other customizable DIY items.
You don't have to name them "a", I gave them sensible titles and details and they transferred in just fine.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

if I had one request re: game progression, I wish islands had a larger chance to spawn fossils. I've only ever gotten one from a deserted island, and I go to them all the time. I want to give blathers more skeletons!!

Your Computer posted:

imagine having the time and effort to care about other people playing a video game "wrong" in the year 2020

anyway animal crossing is good

I really wish my flowers would cross polinate already. I want pretty blue and pink flowers too!!

enojy posted:

Patty the cow, who wears a tank top that looks like a tenderloin, has moved to BEEF island.
please do not eat your neighbors :ohdear:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/solidquartz/status/1242652432594698240
:allears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

this should not make me laugh as much as it does
https://twitter.com/finalfrantasy/status/1242439760033058816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is that dialogue flavor or can a neighbor tell you to gently caress off if you try move their house?
I have no idea, but I assume it's like the island name "vote" at the beginning of the game, where the game likes to pretend the other villagers have agency, and are not entirely subject to your whims