Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm sure there'll be some other means of showing off your house to random strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From what we've seen so far, it looks like most stuff at least early on is crafted from things around the environment, which I'm guessing there'll be a limited amount of to collect at one time and probably respawn each day. So, same as usual really, just on a broader level.

We'll have to see how things go in the way of quality of life improvements and depth. I have to say, the convenience of the Switch might be a big part of the appeal compared to how long it could take to get going on the 3DS, which it kinda obviously chugged and drained battery life on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shneak posted:

The DLC for this game is the option for your villagers to harass you.

Findom DLC goes mainstream

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GoodBee posted:

I guess I need a different name/town than Link/Hyrule this time around.

Funny thing is that you could get (Wolf) Link as a villager in New Leaf via the amiibo. Also Ganon.

Cooking would probably get super bloated fast but it'd still be neat; especially if you could have your own events with BBQs and inviting villagers over for dinner and such.

KittyEmpress posted:

I was thinking about it today and I think a semi neat way to do DLC would be cultural/religious holidays. Like oh you bought the japanese holidays pack, now you can set it to celebrate golden day and etc instead of 4th of july.

I dunno.

The whole mayor thing in New Leaf seems like a missed opportunity here. Though I get the impression Animal Crossing towns are meant to be vaguely American, though somewhere between a sleepy coastal village in either country.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Looks like the seaplane pilot is a dodo. GTA comes to mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hey now, could name it Tropico and insist on being called el Presidente.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It seems like this game is gonna have massive escalation from the sound of it, you start out just camping out and doing carpentry and end up single handedly building an entire village

This is def Nook finding a sneaky way to get people to build entire towns of customers for him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do wonder if going full terraforming is something they decided to take a bold new risk on or something they always wanted to do but only now have the hardware to manage it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wonder if they'll bring back the promo Amiibo villagers from New Leaf, like the Zelda tie-ins and the Callie and Marie cosplayers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RoboJoe posted:

I'm looking for a little advice please: I've not played any Animal Crossing game before (well that's a slight lie, I've played maybe 20 minutes of one of the DS games once but I don't think that counts) but they've always looked fun to me and I know a lot of people really enjoy them, so I've been thinking about buying this for my Switch when it's released.

I've been looking at shops here (the UK) for ordering the game and it appears I can buy it digitally for about £4 less than I'd pay for a physical copy, would that be a better option for this game (as it seems reading more about the series it's good for picking up and playing for a while and then putting down and repeating, something to weave between other games, rather than a big gaming session...unless I'm mistaken here and would appreciate clarification) or should I pay a little extra for a physical copy in case I don't like it? I think I might enjoy the game though, especially if I can just play it on and off between my backlog of other games :v:

Sorry for the super dumb/vague question but as I say, I'm just unsure about the game/series :shobon:

I'd go with the digital version if it's that much cheaper. It's def a game for casual play, to the point of just checking in for a couple of minutes a day. Yes, the original gacha.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yes, tell us Justin!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PeePot posted:

There's only 8 total hairstyles to choose from at the start?? In the Direct it shows 2 sets of 8 styles, and 8 colours you can unlock with Nook Miles. I'm guessing it's way more than that eventually.

This seems in line with New Leaf at least; there's a relatively plain set of hairstyles to start with, but once you unlock Shampoodle you get a lot more options, and unlock even more appearance things like dye and contacts.

I'm guessing the islands are going to be big, since it looks like not only all the villager houses but all the facilities, including the museum and shops, are manually placed there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually might be a question as to how far in you unlock terrain manipulation, since I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't move usable buildings once placed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

lol just lol if you're not going to go the full Emperor Jones and model your island off a Caribbean dictatorship.

Obviously named Tropico.

Wonder how much influence you can have over your neighbours. Was annoying that they kept ruining their unique and curated house themes to throw in completely random crap.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'll probably remake the entire island several times depending on my whims.

I may recreate landmasses in miniature. I wonder if you can divide it up into multiple islands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes me wonder if there's gonna be a downloadable demo. A friend of mine couldn't play New Leaf due to getting motion sickness from the rolling-pin world, but isn't sure they'll have the same problem for this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It probably isn't hard to make new villagers given they're palette swaps of an existing model with their own starting house.

New Leaf introduced two new personality types for villagers, making for eight in total. (Four male and four female) Remains to be seen if New Horizons will add more.

Infinitum posted:

Island creation looks neat

Some interesting details there presuming those are valid maps; you can have multiple river sources and they won't necessarily end in the ocean, islands tend to have back walls of rocks, which seem to be the same for three out of four of those? Though yeah, those might be mock ups, especially since one of them doesn't have a visible jetty. (unless it's behind the D)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It got me again.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does this actually work? Because I sure as hell tried it in NL and had no luck.

IIRC it actually backfires because they go all Ned Flanders and think they need to try harder.

Eventually you got a roundabout way to get rid of villagers with the Amiibo update, where you can scan any villager-inviting amiibo or card (this includes some of the Splatoon ones) and get the option of inviting the villager to move into your town, where they'll replace one of your current villagers if you've reached max population. Dunno if there'll be an equivalent in New Horizons, but it wouldn't surprise me if they want to be able to sell more Amiibo card packs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This really isn't much better originally considering he's Isabelle's brother

I mean they are dogs but still

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Animal Crossing makes sense assuming all the villagers are trust fund kids.

The Fyre Festival jokes write themselves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I dunno why people are assuming characters whose old niche seems taken must be gone forever; the series has been pretty good about reusing characters in different ways. What we have seen is a couple of outright replacements for old characters including the fishing and bug catching contests, but I'd imagine they'll find new niches for the main New Leaf characters if necessary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually pretty smart that Mr Resetti is implied to be in charge of the rescue service when you think about it; the point is to rescue the player when they've gotten stuck in a spot they can't get out of, a situation where a player might otherwise reset the game, or at least have to quit out to start back at their home. This way he can be more pro-active in ensuring players don't wantonly reset the game, and also take it into his own hands as he resets their position.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've only played New Leaf but I did get the impression they flattened out villager characterisation, though they did at least add two more personality types. (Smug and what the wikis apparently call Uchi because they can't be arsed figuring out a translation for what's basically 'honorary big sister') Muffy was pretty much the best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My Cranky villager was the samurai kangaroo and he was my best friend.

Is it too early for a gang tag?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Isabelle: One day, and that day may never come, I will ask a favor of you.

Isabelle's reaction seems to imply she really doesn't need more than an excuse back in New Leaf at the very least, though she seems a little too into the Mayor then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So let’s review: Tom Nook is setting up people on isolated, unpopulated private islands. A little odd but not unheard of. Next the only way on or off the island is an airline that he controls. A little disconcerting if your conspiracy minded but still ok. The only means those on the island have to communicate with the outside world is Nook phones, proprietary devices he directly controls. Getting weird now. He gives those on the island 100% interest free loans they can choose to pay back or not. That’s really weird how does Nook plan to make money back on this venture? Something is clearly going on here. Tom Nook is creating secret labs in the museums on his island. I’ve played Resident Evil I know how secret labs in museums go. We’re test subjects for this evil little raccoon man!

The Island of Doctor Shrunk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was born to be a Raccoon Goon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jet Jaguar posted:

If your basement isn't full of a bunch of randomly twitching gyroids I don't even know why you're playing Animal Crossing.

Raccoon Goons are where it's at. How is it not March 20th yet?

Some Gyroids sync up well with certain music. The Sputnoids and KK Space are probably more obvious ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

That's a good point that I had kinda forgotten about.

I definitely think back to the Gamecube Animal Crossing where it was pretty easy to "run out" of things to do in a day - I don't feel like it's gonna be as much the case this time around.

New Leaf had a bit of that too, kind of intended, though iirc after Welcome Amiibo it was a bit harder. Or maybe I was just more patient the second time around.

I'm guessing there'll probably be a limit to how much resources you can gather (and store) in a go, though hopefully they're not gonna make it too tedious. (aside from, well, the game being about killing time)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

No Sheep Allowed.

if you wouldn't take Muffy you are dead to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wendell posted:

One of the characters in this game talks like Snarf from Thundercats?

You can if you suggest it as their catchphrase.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It does look like they're having things change noticeably as you expand the island campground into a proper town. Should be an interesting process. Going from a one-stop shop of a tiny town to having proper dedicated shops and services. Wonder if prices are going to change between stores.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They should introduce villagers of all the hosed up creatures of the deep sea subway in Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shoehead posted:

All schools and tourist things are closed here now. Release the AC Nintendo, save usssss

I think Sega taught game companies the lesson about releasing things unexpectedly early.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

That it's very cool and good?

I mean more with the Saturn that pissed off all the retailers who didn't get it early to the point they dropped Sega from their shelves entirely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Animal Crossing/Kerbal Space Program tie-in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm fully supportive of any and all gimmick islands.

I wonder how possible it is to have a mono-species village of various kinds. Does open up the question as to if they added any more villager personality types, since they added 2 in New Leaf, and the game does try to have at least one of each type.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vice is extremely woke, in the 'rich white trust fund kids and probably rapists who act progressive to look trendy' definition of 'woke'.

Also def care about the abstract idea of colonisation and will run away fast when presented with real-world consequences

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

Dumb question but does the game auto pick your hemisphere based on...I dunno, console registration or something, or can we pick if we want wacky bizzaro seasons

They said in the first reveal thing that you can pick whichever hemisphere you want on game start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hasn't Rover only been in some of the Animal Crossings anyway? The series has recycled old characters where they make sense but not always right away.