Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want to be a Racoon Goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
It's so beautiful *sniffs*. First gang tag in over 16 years! Thanks LITERALLY A BIRD and Infinitum!

Now New Horizons just needs to come out already...

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I’m getting old or something (I never used to have this problem) but I seem to be having trouble catching the big, rare fish in the ocean (and only them). Do I need to just take a guess when the actual bite will be to get them? Or am I maybe getting screwed by a bit of audio lag in my setup somewhere?

Also I wish I would’ve known about bridge placement rules earlier — I put a building too close to the river where I’d really want a bridge to go and now the bridge has to go over some place more annoying to get to instead. 🙁 Make sure you leave a couple tiles free around the river if you’re going to want a bridge there someday.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So after paying off your nook miles debt, the next thing to save up to get with miles would be the pretty good tools recipes right?

Get the expanded inventory space and then better tools. The expanded inventory is so worth it first.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yep it was the audio lag (from my audio splitter) that was screwing me. Plugged into the USB from my dock just now for audio and caught a coelacanth. The fishing in this game is pretty sensitive I guess...

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Don't even need the audio cues. I was fishing last night trying to get a high streak and was watching 30 Rock. You get a stronger vibration when the fish actually bites, so you learn to jus tignore the baby nibbles and only tap when you feel that bigger buzz.

Appreciate the tip! I’ll try to learn to do it that way eventually too, but I’ve been playing since the GameCube AC so using the audio is pretty ingrained. 🙂

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Are persimmons in this game? I'm one fruit short of the All Fruits nookchievement.
Don’t forget to plant your own fruit. This tripped me up for a bit.

Finally got level 3 Cast Master! I agree with whoever said this was a a surprisingly unchill thing for this game. It really sticks out compared to pretty much every other task in the game I’ve seen so far.

EDIT: PS: Scaring away fish doesn’t interrupt the streak thankfully, they have to bite at least once for it to count as a miss I think. And if if you miss one you should be able to (in most cases) immediately go to your home menu and quit without it saving, too.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 21, 2020

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Yessum. There a communication error earlier when someone joined, new code is 5MG5X

Thanks for the fishing! Was really great. Getting the ocean sunfish and arowana finally was awesome. 🙂

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a QR code for a turnip design I can put on the ground to mark my outdoor turnip pen? (Otherwise it looks weird when it’s empty.)

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

I just went with catching every shadow larger than the goldfish one, so maybe I just got super unlucky and didn't get the right sized shadow in my 40 attempts

I caught one, it’s only very slightly larger than the smallest size so look carefully. It’s the same size as crawfish it seems, which is unfortunate because it was a distinct shadow size in March.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

this is heavily weighted on how many villagers your town has, once you get your island full (or nearly full) you should be able to get 3 stars without a lot of additional effort
While this is true and matches my experience, I chopped down like half the trees on my island and the villagers are apparently STILL bitching about there being too many trees in the eval. 🙁

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

C.J. showed up, demanding that I catch 5 fish in a row. Even Cast Master is more forgiving. It ended my streak the second I managed to reel in an egg. Basically, prepare lots and lots of fish bait. Otherwise, you're screwed on Saturday.

Aren’t they always a specific size? Just fish tiny/small or extra large shadows and you should be good.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

SURELY bringing 240 bait to a Nook Island would be more than enough to catch 3 barreleyes for CJ, right?

Nnnnnnnope. I used every last bait and I caught ONE barreleye. I burned through 9 fishing rods. It was never raining, but I somehow caught 2 coelacanths.

If you (or someone else) makes this statue, I’d be very curious to know if it glows. My football fish statue does not have a glowing light and it makes me a little sad. 🙁

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I just wanna say that whoever it was that suggested putting a music player outside the plaza is an awesome human being, because the animals in my town have been singing along to K.K. Soul for weeks now and I’m STILL not sick of it.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

And apparently the multiplayer point bonus only works for online, not local.
For what it’s worth, this isn’t true. Did two players in a fishing tournament locally today and we both got the bonus. EDIT: To be specific, I mean two Switches using local connection.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

No just a rug but it goes great with beach floor
There’s a matching floor (with the same name) but I had to get it outside of this event, which seems like kind of a dick move honestly.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 12, 2020

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheBizzness posted:

Bait helps, rain helps, Nook islands really help. Bait and Nook islands are :chefskiss:. I hadn’t caught a Barreleye until 2 days ago and then I caught one in 8 baits at a nook island.
And you may not even need those things. Last night I had the thought to get three barreleyes for a figurine and I got all three in an hour and a half with no bait and no rain on my own island. Just had to chase away the non-size-2 fish and only try to fish size 2s (mostly, I wasn’t 100% strict on that).

EDIT: And I’m not some fishing badass or anything. Like TheBizzness said, the most important part is knowing the shadow sizes and exactly where/when they appear. Watch YouTube videos if you need references.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 19, 2020

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah I said the same thing. Watched a few YouTube tours of five-star islands, and though they look great, I can't imagine playing in one being anything less than a nightmare to navigate.
I just hit five stars today myself, and even though I like cluttered and chaotic and cramped, I had to do a lot of that in a number of places on my island to hit five stars. It’s all furniture I like so it took a while, but even if you do that, I don’t think it’s for everyone.

Still annoyed about having to chop down so many trees and place so many fences to get it, though. Once I get all the lily of the valleys I want, I’m ripping out all these fences and planting like 100 more trees, heh.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only other fish I need are tuna, and coelacanth, but it hasn't rained yet on my island.
I really recommend bait for pier fish like tuna (and only for pier fish — there are reasonable ways to get all the others). I fish a lot and always check for pier fish when I go by, and the pier fish are so rare. I’d recommend to save yourself the annoyance and use bait for the tuna.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also, I'm not totally screwing up barreleyes, right? They're just small fish in regular ocean spots? I've been trying for two evenings now, and I could start my own fishery with all the mackerel I've caught, but no barreleye.
Are you listening for the sound? Sound is the best way to catch that I’ve found. Also barreleyes are harder to catch so you might be missing them. Make you sure you don’t have any audio lag in your audio setup either (that got me in the beginning).

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sound, like the high-tier fish in New Leaf? I don't think I've lost anything from being slow on the prompt, if that's the case :confused:
The deep “bloop” sound. If I watch the screen I’ll get antsy and reel in too quick sometimes, but closing my eyes and listening for the deep sound works much better for me if there’s no lag in the setup.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve learned long ago that if you voice and complaints/criticisms of this game, someone in this thread will inevitably step in to say you’re wrong and that bad thing is actually good. (There are a lot of very bad and very stupid things about this game)
It’s possible for game full of annoying rituals to be doing them on purpose. It’s possible for some of them to be too annoying (and every player judges that differently). And it’s even possible for many of us to play the game exactly because of the annoying rituals and not out of a weird apologizing for the series. It’s cool man, we’re into different things.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer
For anyone else that might be wondering whether it’s worth the effort to catch three barreleyes, here’s what the model looks like (it’s 1x1).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

But does it glow in the dark?

The barreleye model doesn’t, sadly. Neither does the football fish, so it seems like none of the fish models do.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Falstaff posted:

Same. I dunno if I'll ever manage 5 stars, I can't manage without my outdoor workshop.
If you can get it below 15 items (between it and any other items on the ground in your town) it’ll still be ok. I have 12 items in my workshop and still have 5 stars.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sanford posted:

Talking of garbage presents, I gave Phil Pheasant a yellow rug and he said something like "wow... that sure is a... thing you've given me there." I thought they were always pleased, as long as it wasn't literal trash!
I gave Billy branches on his birthday on accident. He said something like “that’s the kind of gift I’d expect from you”.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Money quote at the end:

“This means that if you hit your villager until they get mad, apologize (resetting if they do not display the Happy emote after you apologize), and talk to them while they’re displaying the Happy emote, then you can farm infinite friendship points in a single day.

Enjoy. You monster.”

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

good to know, thanks! i'm waiting to earn my golden water can so thanks for the offer :toot: i also haven't found a gold nugget in at least 1 week now, so i'm clutching them close, ha
This happened to me too! The only gold nugget I’ve gotten this last week was in a balloon and I’ve hit all my rocks every day (and on five Nook Miles islands). I wonder if they got toned way down in the most recent patch. If so this means that Nintendo responded to the uselessness of gold tools by...restricting gold nugget supply and making them even more useless.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

This is what I was working from, maybe somehow 45 spaces in your 8x8 blocks remain clear or you're right and its agnostic to flowers but Ive also had people pop their flower fields before and get 5 stars
I think it doesn’t matter for clutter. The middle part of my island is absolutely choked with flowers and furniture and it doesn’t seem to matter for five stars.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I got all of my designs from the Goon discord. It's a good resource.

It’s true. And specifically, Clocks posts a lot of them, and she posts awesome stuff. I wanted to give her a shoutout because they’re awesome and I’ve used many of the ones she’s posted on my island.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Soysaucebeast posted:

I think they just phase wherever they want. I completely fenced off Ursala's house when I was trying to kick her out and she would still just show up wherever she wanted to.

They definitely do. When I started I had Boomer up at the third elevation and the only way you could get to his house was via ladder. I’ve never seen an animal use a ladder, either, but he would still be in the plaza half the day anyway somehow.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

e: she gave me a Starry Wall which i had massive hopes for, like a constellations wall? A Van Gogh-style starry night?? Naw just a bunch of silver stars on a white wall, enjoy. Thanks, owl
Keep trying for recipes, the other star wall is way cooler in my opinion.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I understand having light in the game show from the point of view of the camera (it wouldn’t make any sense otherwise), but I think sound should be different and should be heard from the point of view of your character. Otherwise you get the odd situation where, because of this, I have to put my stereo facing directly into the wall next to my front door so I can hear the song clearly when I walk in, because 99% of the time my camera is going to be in the default position. Not a huge thing but it’s annoying to have my stereo look stupid and be hard to change songs on because of this.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PotU posted:

all fishes bite.
To be fair, this is true 99% of the time, but not all the time. Once I was on someone’s island fishing, and I’d put my lure right in front of ocean fish sometimes and they wouldn’t bite, just slowly keep drifting out to sea for a while. I’ve only ever seen that once (and I presume it was because the game wasn’t updating its state due to bad internet) but it did happen.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 23, 2020

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Chicken Doodle posted:

I used some spares to put my favourite dinosaurs on my island. Other than that, no, not really.
There’s a Nook Miles achievement for assessing 500 I guess. Not much but a little something.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Not much going on in my place but Gladys is DIYing Woodland Wall, which is really dope!

Dodo is 2HQYG
Drumsticks currently

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got a S-Rank from the HHA but they only gave me a silver trophy???

emdash posted:

Apparently the gold trophy is 150k points

And you have to get the other five prizes first, even if you have 150k points.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

imweasel09 posted:

I swear hammerhead sharks are an actual myth as I've caught 4+ of the other ones and not a single hammerhead.
I’ll say a couple of things I’ve noticed anecdotally but may just be me being stupid, reading things in that aren’t there, or not being observant:

1. I swear a lot of the sharks I’ve caught on the south beach I couldn’t see a fin. Try catching anything with the largest shadow size on the south beach.

2. A lot of those south beach catches seemed to be hammerhead sharks or whale sharks for me.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Flubby posted:

One of the reasons fish models not having grand designs is a real shame.
How large does that refer to? Oarfish model is 2x1 at least.
EDIT: Answered my own question, guess it’s 2x2.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 3, 2020

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Computer Opponent posted:

Wow Redd I appreciate your monthly pop-in thank you for bringing the one legit statue that I already have. See ya next month!
Happened to me with a painting last week. I have to imagine they’re going to patch in more Redd visits eventually because collecting via Redd just goes SO much slower than every other kind of collecting in the game.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Boonoo posted:

Got my blue roses! Very first day with the proper hybrid reds.

If anyone is getting into hybrid flowers this guide really worked out well. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/animal-crossing-new-horizons-hybrid-flowers-guide-/1100-6475346/

For the blue roses I used this method, and I’m really happy with the process!
Note that the method it describes is Folklore: https://yuexr.github.io/acnh/bluerose.html I prefer Paleh v2 (thanks Discord goon that suggested it!) but there’s only one step different between them I think.

Thanks for posting the GameStop guide though! I realized I had not great windflowers for breeding purples due to misleading info in a visual guide, so I’ll be switching to the method it suggests. 🙂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bonster posted:

Woo! I reached five stars and finished my dinosaur collection on the same day! I am loving my island. Come see it!

Dodo Code: 5LGBN

The sisters have a tiny crown for 1,000,000 bells. Golden watering cans are out for the first five who want them - please water, then use on your own island (if you can make your own, it might be nice to leave them for newbies). There is a mystery gift station to the left of the airport, with many different things but no fossils. Take two!

Crown is now available for touching! It's on the log bench by the entrance

Thanks for crown, golden can, soup kettle, and apron! It’s a nice island, more folks should visit. 🙂