Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just to clarify something real fast, you were always selling at a -20% penalty before the Nookling shop opened up. You're actually getting more now.

:captainpop: That is a reassuring distinction to be made aware of! Thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Does AC:NH have a gift-giving mechanic for other residents; if so, how does it work? I swear I read somewhere you could give gifts, but I've tried a few things, but no dice. I want to be nice to the other residents, drat it :argh:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Caught my first wasp! gently caress YOU, WASP, gently caress YOU! :supaburn:

Uh... Blacked out for a moment there...

Man, this game has gotten its hooks into me *fierce*. Wasn't sure if I'd like it or bounce off it, but figured I'd at least approach it on its own terms, rather than try and overlay my other 'progress game' obsession onto it (Stardew Valley).

Some speculative purchases are a bust; this very much isn't one of them.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

I need a spider-island in my life :stare: (A notion that absolutely has to be in my top-5 list of 'least likely to be hoped for things ever')

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

404notfound posted:

Son of a bitch, rusted parts are a crafting component? Why can't I sell anything in this game without first checking if it's gonna be used to make something cool :sigh:

There will be more rusted gears. Unless there aren't. (This is my first Animal Crossing, so who am I to say one way or the other) In which case you will bear the sting of this through all the long decades of your life :stare:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Daisy is still on my island at the moment (100 per). I also have some Oranges and Coconuts hanging around.

Edit: gate closed!

magimix fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 29, 2020

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey anyone still missing any fruit? Pop on by my orchard is in today so I have everything. Don't need to leave anything. Turnip prices are 96 if you're after that.

Able Sisters don't open until 9 apparently but Timmy and Tommy should be opening in 20 minutes here

Code: 5JB1Q

Try to only take one trees worth of each fruit in case someone else stops by and needs it :v:

drat, you got a nice looking island! Grabbed cherries and pears, which means I've got a full complement of fruit for my own gaff now. Many thanks! Just got booted, otherwise I'd have left a message on your board.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

I don't want to be dramatic, but if this loving thing shows up on my island I'm throwing my Switch in the trash

https://twitter.com/tarrikittyartt/status/1243728072471384064?s=20

Yikes! I feel like I've been lucky with villagers; I like all the ones I have so far (Iggly, Diva, Clay, Merry, and Eunice) :3:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

SeXReX posted:

A lot of people will build a little fence pen at the airport so you can't even get to the island without paying the cover

That's... Uh, certainly a way to play :captainpop:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Scholtz posted:

Have any non TTers gotten a 3 star island rating yet? Isabelle keeps telling me that I need more population and to improve the island scenery to get above 2 stars, but no matter what I put out (fencing, crafted items, random furniture) she keeps saying I could still improve.

How is your weed situation?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Holy *poo poo*, rainy-day fishing seems lucrative :stare: Just been mooching around for, well, not even an hour, and I'm like 90k up.

Edit: Just caught my fourth Coelacanth inside this hour :psyduck: And that is to say nothing of the Marlins, Oarfish, and goodness knows what else! :captainpop: 'scuse me while I rush out to buy a lottery ticket...

Edit: Closed out the hour nearly 200k up. Daaaaaaaaaaamn.

magimix fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 31, 2020

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Stole this one from ResetEra...

https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/1244959580355887105

Someone call the cops! :argh:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I made a memorial:

Is it a gated-progress thing before you can create and places custom pictures, or just a matter of waiting to get the right recipe? I really want to fill my house with pictures!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

LODGE NORTH posted:

You can make custom designs early on. When you select one, it’ll say “Display Here” as an option and that just puts it on an easel like a painting

Thank you *very* much for the pro-tip! :buddy:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Dip Viscous posted:

I just had a fishing streak of 14 eggs in a row.

I want fish, not eggs.

That is a rough run! I wouldn't want to go so far as to pitch it as a hard and fast rule, but at least for me, Sea Eggs have tended to come from 'mid size' silhouettes. You could perhaps scare those off, and focus on small and large silhouettes? To be sure, you'd miss out on the novel new fish that have mid-size silhouettes, but perhaps it'd lessen the pain for you a bit?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
I think I'm dangerously close to becomming obsessed with pulling in huge numbers of images so I can cover all the walls of my house with with a mix of old-timey photos, landscapes, and modernist/abstract paintings.

Edit: Just a shame you can't place canvases on walls without gaps between them.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ogmius815 posted:

However, note that some of the recipes are unlocked by getting a certain number of eggs. I have no idea if this counts only eggs in your inventory or also eggs you previously gathered which are not in your inventory.

I feel like they turn up based on cumulative collection. I've triggered new recipes while only having one or two of a given egg in my pockets.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

I loving love the villagers I have. Feel like I really struck lucky.

Iggly
Diva
Clay
Merry
Eunice
...and my via-campsite one, Chops.
Edit: And "Boone" is on the way, from a Nook Island I visited after placing a plot for a new villager.

And today I started to see villagers singing. In the morning there was Clay and Merry singing together, and I just saw Diva and Chops singing a duet :3:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fru Fru posted:

Ok guys, my turnips are at 617, come sell!

https://turnip.exchange/island/c723e796

Leave whatever or nothing, but I could really use some roses, they are the only flower I don't have.

I am probably going to AFK while this gets busy. If it crashes I will open again later.

:captainpop:

Man, I'll give you gold nuggets for selling at that price!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fru Fru posted:

Ok guys, my turnips are at 617, come sell!

https://turnip.exchange/island/c723e796

Leave whatever or nothing, but I could really use some roses, they are the only flower I don't have.

I am probably going to AFK while this gets busy. If it crashes I will open again later.

Many thanks, kind goon! I'm only a small-town trader, but I left a gift behind your shop. Thanks again!

Edit: This is my first 'stalk market' trip. It was strangely intense!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

grieving for Gandalf posted:

does that really mean this Justin guy has been there for 21 minutes? that can't be, can it?

It isn't quite like that. Not *wholly*, at least. I think that is just the time when that person 'entered the eligible 5'. I hopped onto this Island earlier, and it took me over 5 minutes just to successfully fly to it. I was in and out as quick as I could - literally ran to the store, sold my stuff, left a gift, and hit the airport for the return flight - and all told, that was about 15 minutes of my time on aggregate when accounting for 'interference' and people flying in and out.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
I suspect just about everyone has all types of fruit on their islands by now, but in case not, all my trees are bearing fruit today. All types of fruit are available. If you do hop on, please only take one trees-worth of each, to leave some for others.

(My turnip price is piss-loving poor, at 97 bells, so definitely don't bother with a speculative connection on that basis!) Edit: Able Sisters have some pretty neat stuff in today.

Edit: gate closed - thanks all that visited; hope you got what you wanted.

Edit: I think I'm now out of cherries. Still got plenty of everything else.

Edit: Just realised I'm out of peaches too. Apples, Oranges, Coconuts, and pears left.

magimix fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 8, 2020

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Thank you to the person that left me a Megacerops skull; that completed the exhibit!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo, it never even occurred to me that was a thing that could happen :psyduck: My Island also has a 'secret' cove right at the back of it. I never check there when doing my rounds because, well, why would I?

Whelp, I have my first terraforming project :catstare:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Guilty posted:

God I just read on a guide that the basement is the last upgrade for the house, this is going to take weeks before I can recreate the movie Parasite I also need to find a way to keep a korean family in my basement somehow any tips?

edit: how are people making money so fast that they're paying off these house loans and terraforming the entire island in like a week? Are they just waiting for 600+ turnip prices on the stalk market?

I did my first big (and that is big my amateur standards) turnip sell the other day, and it if you can find a good price, it *really* does help, yes. Imagine being to add even 500k to whatever else you make in a week, with some modest stalk action. Worth engaging with it a little bit, just to help you get those final upgrades you want.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

LODGE NORTH posted:

This is making me cry.

Only today I had Iggly running up to me, all full of vim and vigour, and I turned around and accidentally smacked them in the face with my net. Felt like *such* a poo poo-heel. :cry:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
This is probably a dumb question, but what the hell... The 300 points you need to win the tourney - do you need to 'bank' those? That is, does swapping point for prizes actually impair your ability to win the tourney?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

LonelyMudkip posted:

The print has a few different customisation options featuring different fish, it's probably my favourite reward. They're all black and white except the Red Snapper which is red! One of the drying rack recolours is octopus which is a little :ohdear: Don't show Zucker!

Nope! And apparently left over points carry over to the next fishing contest in June!

That is very reassuring, thanks. I've liked some of the prizes I've redeemed thus far. I like fishing in this game, so this tourney is right up my alley.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
It's also kind of a middle-finger that you can still catch eggs during an active tourney :argh:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lux Animus posted:

I'd like to know this too - my tastes are a little manila compared to the average goon... :backtowork:

Maybe it's all the spare hours I spent digging up clams over the last week saying this, but: perhaps running around to find fish shadows is not actually what you're supposed to do to win a "catch as many fish as you can in a short time period" kind of challenge.

In case you were not aware, Bait doesn't cause sunken trash or water eggs to appear.

No worries, I'm well aware of that. The emoticon is very much in jest, because the egg rate is waaaaaaaaay down compared to what it used to be, and I take the slight 'efficiency' hit in good grace. Currently 80 points away from 300.

Some eggs, or the donkey-work of getting clams and crafting bait? Enter the Thunderdome...

Edit: The short version is that I'm enjoying this event a lot, and I'm actually liking a lot of the item prizes too.

magimix fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 11, 2020

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

SeXReX posted:

The diy tables should have durability as well in this humble gamer's opinion

Why are you so needlessly provocative :cry:

Edit: Or did I *completely* mis-interpret you there?

magimix fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 11, 2020

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

PancakeTransmission posted:

There is just way too much CJ dialogue for me to attempt 300 in one day. At least if i break it up over 2-3 seasons, it'll be a nice trophy at the end of it.

I mean the shovel already will not break while hitting rocks (until you're done), and the axe won't break until you're done hitting the tree, so it's actually possible they thought about this. I still packed a second rod just in case. Never broke one mid-tourney.

I had a fishing rod break mid-tourney. Not in a position to say if it lasted longer than a non-flimsy fishing rod though.
The amount of CJ dialogue is a bit insense if you are grinding out tourneys for sure; I just 'B'ed my way through it.

Having hit the 300, I sit back and think, 'Job well done'. What can I say? I like fishing mini-games! :haw:

Edit: And I've absolutely lost shovels while trying to mash out the full loot from a rock.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

LifeLynx posted:

Spending points doesn't take them away from counting towards the trophy, does it? You don't need to spend 300 points in one go, it's cumulative and tracked in some hidden counter?

Absolutely, definitely cumulative.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

I hadn't crafted any of the easter stuff until today and wow I did not realise you only need like 27 of each egg to craft everything including the extra recipes Zipper gives you - I've been avoiding eggs and still had like 60-90 of each in storage

I didn't craft the egg specific outfits though

Yeah, I was a tad surprised too. Wound up polishing off all the egg recipes and getting the final, final prize because, well, why the hell not, and I can sell that poo poo for slightly better bells. That plus the fact you can trade up between egg types on the day... They really didn't need this one to last an entire fortnight. (Edit: Actually, maybe I'm overstating that. 27 of *each* egg... Would a week have been too short, for some?)

Ah well, all done now.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

glassyalabolas posted:

The ultimate prize is a wand? jfc.

...which I don't have the mats for, since I've not had a single meteor day the whole time the game has been out (and I've been playing every day). Thankfully C.J. saw fit to include an *actual* wand in his loot table!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
A tale in 3 parts.

Part 1: I get to my *first* island with Bamboo on it. (Finally!)

Part 2: Wishing to exploit this, I check a guide, and see that I need dig the marked locations to get shoots

Part 3: Digs marked location; gets egg.

It wasn't all bad I guess; I dug every spot and got 5 shoots, and 3 eggs, all told

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Having just played around with the placing of paths for a bit... I find there are places where there is always a gap between a given building and the path. A good example would be the museum. Is that just the way things work, or are there some pro strats I'm missing?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Iron Lung posted:

Got my wife hooked on this finally, shes never played video games before. Yesterday while I was working she went to a friends island and got me a cool 1.6mil in turnip sales! Then on her profile she caught TWO drat colecanths and a drat oar fish and a snapping turtle. I've never been more proud. It's been like two weeks and we still dont have the Abel sisters store - is there something we're doing wrong? Mabel is finally back today so we're both buying stuff and chatting with her. Other than that I'm moving a building around so i guess i can get Ohare to move in, he's derelicting at the campsite right now,the bum.

Just keep giving her business when she visits; after a while she'll talk about opening a full store.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Junkie Disease posted:

Each week of this stuck inside crap makes me respect the slow burn of ac, it's raining in game and my flower nerds are using magnifying glasses to inspect petals

I had a fun one the other day, where it seems like Iggly is full-on running a fitness club on my island. There was Iggly doing resistance excercises, a couple of others doing yoga or something, others Naruto-running circuits around the town square, and Flurry... Flurry doing bicep curls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
drat, villagers can give some awesome gifts. Diva just gave me a 'throwback skull radio'. A giant, silver skull. When not playing music, the top of the skull opens up. When playing music, the loving eyes glow! So cool. You're a star, Diva :3: