Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mr. Resetti is back in the form of a clam spout. Every spout has a 0.05% chance of being Mr. Resetti and he goes off on you if you dig him up. But if you give him what he likes (Corrupted Memory Card) he will move onto your island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Console preorders are stocked again at Best Buy, Target, Amazon, and GameStop. Good deal! Looks like this won't be terribly hard to get ahold of without resorting to eBay scalpers.

As far as the game itself goes, Target is still sold out due to the preorder bonus. Amazon is offering the usual $10 off preorders for Prime members, while Best Buy is selling preorders for $53.99 until 02/17 (with free my Best Buy account) and an additional $10 back in gift card form. Eligible for both physical and digital, but the preorder bonus (Tom Nook sticky charm) is physical only.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 4, 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That's kinda big for a Switch game, crazy huge for Animal Crossing

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stool Sample posted:

What kind of preorder bonuses are available for the US? I saw some pretty cool ones for the European release (or it may have been Japan), but if we're just getting some bullshit keychain I'll just get a digital copy.

Bullshit keychain at Best Buy, journal at Target (sold out), nothing at GameStop (yet?)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kalsco posted:

I sold my switch earlier last year to fund other hobby items and am now, foolishly, buying another just to play this game.

I can't wait to minmax my neighbours.

Same (sort of -- I traded my Switch in due to inactivity to help make a friend's birthday really good.) Looking back at my Nintendo hardware purchases, I would've been buying the Animal Crossing Switch anyway. Everything worked out.

I was actually kind of fighting it in my head. I went from "alright, I'll wait until reviews for the game come out, just to make sure it's not another Animal Crossing dud that's lost its way" to "I'm only gonna preorder if an Animal Crossing Switch comes with it" to "ah poo poo"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've got a bad feeling about it, since Nintendo has spent the last few years discovering how quick a lot of people are to spend pennies at a time on pointless bullshit. It's a little early to be disclosing future DLC as an "in-game purchase", but who knows.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

History Comes Inside! posted:

In optimism land, if they talked about buying DLC in-game later instead they'd have to get the game re-rated and jump through hoops for existing copies to reflect the fact the original ESRB boxout would be incorrect, so now is probably exactly the right time to make sure it's mentioned.

Edit: Pokemon has exactly the same listing in its rating, presumably because you can buy the expansion directly from inside the game and they always intended you to. There are no other purchases or mtx mechanics in Pokemon to warrant needing that tag.

Storm in a teacup until they say something to the contrary.

That's a really good point, and eases my worries a lot. I've largely approved of Nintendo's DLC offerings for their console games over the past few years, and wouldn't mind that at all. I just hope they don't pour too much Pocket Camp into New Horizons.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

History Comes Inside! posted:

:toxx: I will eat a ban if Animal Crossing New Horizons includes mobile-style microtransactions. Because it won't.

We don't do toxx clause in this thread, friend, this is a Animal Crossing thread

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The app will support voice chat for Animal Crossing multiplayer, but a modulator changes your speech into rapid, unintelligible babbling

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm wondering what the Animal Crossing-equivalent response will resemble if the bomb drops that half of the villagers got scrapped from the game, a la Pokémon Sword & Shield

"Aw man! :cry:"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dazerbeams posted:

This is the best strategy. Wrangle your spouse into it so you automatically start with access to two islands. I did the same with my husband who also has his birthday on the 20th.

I've got bad news for you... I've been having an affair with your husband no just kidding, what I mean is the game is limited to one (player-editable) island. In order for you to each have your own island, you'll need another copy of the game and another Switch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Will my Switch friend code change with a new Switch? I had one for the first year or so, but sold it. I've got the AC Switch on the way!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

glassyalabolas posted:

An official companion guide is releasing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3869931000/

Nice, Future Press does great work all around. Wasn't even remotely considering it until I saw who was putting it out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

liquidypoo posted:

Int'l Dump

This will be so perfect if you're able to place overflow items in the water and just have it all perpetually washing up on the shore

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

drat poo poo! Why did I think this was at noon EST? I caught the tail end of it, guess I gotta play catch-up at lunch.

What I saw looked simply amazing, although the verbiage was really scary having jumped in mid-Direct and not immediately realizing the narrator was playing up the "Nook Inc. Getaway Package" bit ("we plan to offer... in the future you can buy...")

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MorgaineDax posted:

Has anyone seen anything about a bigger character limit for town names yet?

I was looking out for that. The longest island name in the Direct was "Nintenland", with what appeared to be at least another 2 or 3 characters of room in the banner (that is, assuming the font doesn't shrink to make room for even longer names.) Didn't notice any with a space in the name, not to rule that out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey, I've never played an Animal Crossing before except for a bit of the Wii one where I wildly misunderstood the point of the game and hated it due to it.

I just bought the last one because it looks way too cute not to and all of my friends are into it.

Is there anything I should keep in mind when it releases or should I just have fun?

No way, just have fun!

I mean, maybe the only useful tip I can offer (which I may have misinterpreted) is to pay off your introductory home/tent loan with Nook Miles (the in-game achievement point currency) instead of with bells, so you've got more spending money in the early game, when it's actually valuable. Apparently, only this first loan can be paid with Nook Miles.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Infinitum posted:

Are there going to be beards?... cause I really want a beard for my guy.

Probably! One of the random villagers in the Direct had a goatee.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArzEBnYVSCA

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

tote up a bags posted:

I'm guessing it's safe to assume a lot of "missing" villagers, as well as a bunch of new ones probably, will get added after release. This is the team that made Splatoon 2, they literally just jammed the game full of updates until Nintendo made them stop.

I didn't even think of that -- I'd be pleased as hell if this game gets the amount of periodical love that Splatoon 2 did. If they go hard enough with items/clothing/furniture/pattern additions, I'd even pay for it. I do hope it's a little more complete than Splatoon 2 was at launch, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nessus posted:

I'm eyeballing this one but I've never done Animal Crossing before. How do you get new villagers? It sounds like I could have a bunch of possible ones (including Isabelle?) but how do I actually have them. I know NH hasn't revealed all the deets yet, I mean the general gameplay flow.

Good news! (or bad news?) Isabelle is a special villager, whose role in New Horizons seems to be similar to that of her mayoral assistant role in New Leaf. While she can't take the role of a neighboring villager, she is guaranteed to "live" on your island, and if her huge popularity in New Leaf is of any indication, she'll likely be present for many milestone events. She will never leave you :swoon:

If a villager visits your island and you like their first impression, sweet talk them (if presented) to get them to move onto the island. To make sure they don't get any ideas of moving out, try to interact with them at least once a calendar day, if you see them out and about (talk, give gifts, FETCH QUEST, visit their home and don't stand them up on playdate appointments, etc.) This is quite lenient; in New Leaf you could really stretch this to like once a week, and they'd still often be perfectly friendly towards you. I think there was a mechanic in New Leaf where you could basically reach "marriage" status (except not like that) when a villager gifts you a framed picture of themselves -- I believe they were guaranteed to never move away at that point.

On the flipside, if you want a particular villager to move out, just ignore them. They'll eventually approach you (or send you a letter) stating they're thinking of moving. Just continue ignoring them or tell them to kick rocks.

enojy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 25, 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ah, poo poo! That reminds me, I bought Yakuza 6 largely for that side quest (I paid literal pennies, it didn't take much) and neglected to play much past the bloated opening.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PancakeTransmission posted:

Other than "we've always done it this way", there's no real good reason for this game to add in a gender code, then restrict clothing and hair if the villager body is a shapeless blob anyway. Especially if they're talking about being able to change your appearance at any time.

I was checking out my Villager amiibo today and he has fingers. Well, a thumb and a flipperfinger. It's kinda gross.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

They should've at least panned over to the set for like a second or two. I still need to sell my mom on this game, and this clip would've done it. I showed her a few trailers (before the Direct came out) and I'm pretty sure she thought I was trolling her.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Color Printer posted:

From the GameXplain footage (god this is so hard to watch, I have to mute this) it looks like getting enough Nook Miles unlocks Nook Miles+, which is basically like a daily quest thing. So there's that answered. Neat

I've timed myself out since the giant info dump today (not for fear of spoilers or anything, I just don't want to turn 3 weeks of waiting into 3 years) but poo poo the museum looks great, and Blathers sleepin'

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

prepuce repurposed posted:

maybe after paying off your house for the third time or w/e you'll get a wii u in the mail so you can play failed wii u titles :pray:

No need, all of the good Wii U exclusives either got ported to Switch or got a sequel. Except Mario 3D World, which is just a travesty.

E;fb

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Internet Kraken posted:

I just realized if I play this game on launch I'll be arriving on the island at midnight, which seems kind of awkward.

Tom Hanks landed on his island at midnight and that movie turned out great

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A man of taste. Horny on main.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Not fat shaming I promise but holy poo poo look at this plump gently caress

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My town tune will once again be the Leisure Suit Larry jingle, for no particular reason other than it's just a cute & catchy jingle

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Was listening to some New Horizons music rips (some of which are pretty garbled, but still, amazing soundtrack) and there is this K.K. Slider rendition of the main theme that sounds like a live track, complete with people clapping (the AWOOOO with the crowd doing it in unison after absolutely kills me). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQqAEM4T70E

This was from a Splatoon concert! K.K. performed live! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg8lSBFwmRM

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gripweed posted:

Show up first thing in the morning at the most rural Gamestop you can get to.

Target is good, too. The one near me (which is somewhat rural) has gotten at least 3 of the limited edition 3DSes that have released, but camping out has been a necessity, since one of the employees is a Nintendo nerd.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Clocks posted:

Amazon hasn't even had it available for pre-order as far as I can tell since that would've been my first choice and why I didn't bother putting one in at best buy or whatever when I had the chance. Hell I even have an email alert on it. I'm hoping they secretly have a bunch in stock but are waiting until the 13th to sell it. :confused:

Preorders have already been live for all major retailers, but have sold out. Amazon has been trickling in units since then. You can set up text and/or email alerts at NowInStock if you'd like, but you'd need to be really quick.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bummed! But still thankful they dropped this bomb a few weeks in advance. All three of my ideas were well over ten characters.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

You just heard that sound in your head, you know the one

"whirrRRRAA"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That cat that just sits and maniacally watches you get swarmed by bees after you run up to him for help... that is my cat. Gonna need that cat on my island.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want to be a Racoon Goon

In hindsight I like to imagine it's just Timmy and Tommy politely asking you how you're doing though :3:

People really be thinking we finally got kneecaps so we can feasibly jump over streams, when Timmy and Tommy have been the perfect height for whacking all along

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If it's got Tom Nook's angry eyes in it then I'm all in

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Policenaut posted:

[to the tune of Gucci Gang] Racc Gang Racc Gang Racc Gang Racc Gang

Nuki Gang Nuki Gang Nuki Gang Nuki Gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is it normal that Japan is getting like a hundred different tv ads for the game? I know it's seemingly the only Nintendo game this year for whatever reason but that account keeps dropping TV spots and it seems kind of overwhelming.

Yea, pretty normal. Video game advertisements in general are more common on Japanese TV than they are in most other countries.