Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you have multiple people living on an island, is there a convenient list of what the "main" player can do that other players can't? Thinking this could be a fun quarantine game for my girlfriend and I, but if the other residents have a more limited experience I'd like to know up front. She doesn't really play games but is open to trying, so I want to put a "Here's what this would be" pitch together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zutaten posted:

I asked the same question earlier and couldn't find any definitive answer so until proven otherwise I am operating under New Leaf 3DS rules where the first player is the "mayor" and the only one who can place/relocate buildings and order bridges/stairs/major projects. 2nd-8th players just get control of their own house. But it does seem like anyone and everyone can place furniture outside and unlock the terraforming at least!

Again this is just my assumption based on past experience with the series. I expect I might be surprised and maybe everyone gets full control over major projects.

Thanks! In the past could the other players do stuff like make designs, add to the museum, buy stuff from the store/add to the catalogue? Or were they stuck kinda using whatever player 1 did?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for the answers everyone! I kinda thought I had my fill of the series after playing a ton of New Leaf, but it's crazy how much the last week or so have made me want to get into this.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Love heart pond in the bottom right island. Incredible.

I'm so broken that I was staring at this trying to determine if it was Loss, and I'm still not sure

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Question for folks who are playing already: does looking at/deciding to buy stuff in the store still take like a dozen boxes of dialogue each? I remember that was one of the things that ultimately drove me from New Leaf, buying/eating/redeeming the daily two fortune cookies ended up being 40 boxes of dialogue every time or something absurd like that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rabelais D posted:

There's so many unskippable dialogue prompts it's crazy, like each time I want to show Tom nook something or use his bench I have to press extra buttons and wait for no reason. Maybe I shouldn't expect time-saving convenience in a time-sink genre?

Or...perhaps I am just not chill enough for this game

Ugh, I hated that in New Leaf. It actually counteracts the chill when I get annoyed at mashing through identical dialogue anytime I want to check the price on something

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Someone on Reddit said that only the "main" villager can donate to Blathers... Is that true? Kind of a bummer but I guess the other person can give the bugs to me for me to donate?

Seymour Buttz posted:

There’s actually way less unavoidable repeat dialogue in this game compared to the previous ones, and they’ve added so many time savers. Like I‘m thrilled with how quickly I can enter and exit buildings. Before, every time you entered or exited a building there was unavoidable talking from the person inside.

Also only fruit and bells stacked in the last game and you had to manually stack the fruit and manually move bells from your inventory to your bell bag.

Pretty much back in my day we had to walk up a hill both ways to get to school etc etc

This is really great to hear! I mentioned earlier that unskippable dialogue is probably the main thing that burnt me out on New Leaf.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

While I don't know, I do know that in local coop there's only one person that can pick up items but you can switch that person at the press of a button. Might be worth trying that to see if you can donate if you're not the "main" villager.

Thanks! As an update, the person who originally posted said after they played another day, both players were able to donate to the museum.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Nintendo never ceases to amaze me. Twitter integration of all the patchwork online features!

The Wii U actually had Twitter integration through a dedicated site you could visit in the console's web browser, a fact I learned last year while playing Wind Waker HD

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I have a question about online play... This is my Switch, with my Nintendo Account and an individual Nintendo Online plan. I made my girlfriend a user profile that isn't linked to an account, since she doesn't play games on her own, but she's enjoying Animal Crossing, and you need a separate profile to make a Villager.

If she wants to visit other people's islands and have people come visit her Villager, can I link her profile to my Nintendo Account so both her profile and mine are on the same account? Or would I need to purchase a family plan for our two accounts?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Republicans posted:

Is there usually some kind of limit on how many fruit trees you can grow? For some reason this clump has stayed in the nursery stage while the others are growing.

When I was googling tree info earlier I read something about how the game won't let you grow trees in a grid like that, the rows need to be offset so the trees aren't perfectly aligned vertically. Your outside borders seem fine so I dunno how accurate that is, but maybe give it a try?

So like
TxTxT
xxxxx
xTxTx

Instead of what you have now which is

TxTxT
xxxxx
TxTxT

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sydin posted:

"Alright a couple pieces of wooden furniture, simple enough. Looks like I'll need about 30 wood total."

*chops every tree on the island*

Softwood: 1 trillion
Hardwood: 5 trillion
Wood: 15

:argh:

I'm regretting being a sane person and not chopping every single tree my first few days.

My biggest overall complaint so far is that there's only one music track until the town really opens up. I would be approaching this game super chill otherwise, but now I'm grinding the gently caress out of these early requirements just to get the real soundtrack.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I don't know why you'd think its a bug, its a deliberate thing, New Leaf did it too. It just takes forever to sync in a new player, maybe they can patch that but I wouldn't bet on it

Yeah I think it's a function of how the game engine works. It pauses and reloads the town when you call in a fellow Villager locally from the same island as well, and it's probably the reason only one person can access their inventory or even collect things locally (whatever the other players pick up gets warped to the recycle bin)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

someone awful. posted:

i got a mohawk hat it's cool as hell

How do you get that clothing menu? Feel like I'm missing something obvious...

And More posted:

Actually, GreenBuckaneer found out yesterday that this is no longer the case, at least for fully grown trees.

I think it's gonna take some more experimenting to genuinely figure out how trees grow in New Horizons.

Gotcha, thanks!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kharmakazy posted:

Playing with 2 people seems to really shaft everyone who isn't the primary player, even when resident 2 plays alone.

I have recipes unlocked and my gf can't get them, even if I hand her the finished item. It's seemingly gimping the poo poo out of anyone who isn't the primary resident.

Any workaround for this?

She can buy them from the nook kid in the town center and then learn them

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr.D-O posted:

Can someone elevator pitch me on this game?

I like sim games (e.g., sim city, cities skylines, frostpunk), but this doesn't seem very similar to those.

From an outsiders' perspective, this game seems like a chore simulator. But, y'all seem really into it. So I'm curious.

https://twitter.com/msalicenutting/status/1241362010517966855?s=19

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a way to put stuff back in your pockets from the home organizer view? As far as i can tell you can just move it to storage, unless I'm missing something. Just a minor inconvenience but if there's a prompt I'm missing I'd rather learn now to save myself a billion clicks over the life of this game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GoodBee posted:

Any time I've time travelled in an Animal Crossing game, I pretty much quit playing right away. :(

It ruined new leaf for me because I allowed my ocd tendencies to take over so if I missed a day I would make myself play each day that I missed in one binge sitting because what if I missed some neat furniture or clothes or what if that's the day I could have stopped my friend from moving away :(

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Just for confirmation: if you're the 2nd resident on the same switch, you're not really able to take point on improving the island? I'm just now getting to blathers initial 15, and my wife wanted to know if she could also assist. I'm sure she'll be able to donate to the museum itself, but I know I had to be the one to get blathers on the island initially.

It seems to vary. The second person can't give the initial five to Nook, but they can contribute to the initial fifteen to Blathers.

I don't think they can give the shop materials to the kid either, but they can harvest them and give them to you.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bina posted:

I feel so old, and outdated.

How are you all posting the camera shots in HD to SA?

I got stuff to share, and I forgot how to internet.

Link your profile to a Twitter account and you can post directly to Twitter from the Switch's album. From there you can save the photo and do whatever with it.

If you don't want the images to go on your timeline, either save the photo and then delete the tweet, or create a burner Twitter account that's just for posting Switch photos.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Most of the recipes player one has gotten from Tom Nook early on can be bought from the Nook kids. But I just got a ton of recipes for putting the housing plots together (flower wreath, orange fruit furniture, etc) and they aren't there. Is there any way for my other villager players to get those?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

I just wanna put it out there:

I am desperate and raiding every Saharah to try and get this wallpaper. If someone finds it, I will genuinely feed your family.

I don't like how anything is still unpurchasable from the catalogue. I end up hoarding poo poo just because it's irreplaceable. Even if I don't want it right now I wish I could just buy it back later, for a game like this collecting is like half the appeal.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 26, 2020

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there an easy way to get stuff off the walls or into your pockets in decoration mode? Unless I'm missing a button prompt it seems like all I can do is put it into storage and then grab it from there.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GoodBee posted:

This is worse.
https://animalcrossing.fandom.com/wiki/Rodney

Day 2 of not talking to this rear end in a top hat.

God, I hate this fucker. My house in New Leaf was on a nice little alcove in a riverbend and then this guy parked himself about ten feet away, completely ruining my vibe and making me walk around his house any time I went to or from my own home. This was five years ago and I still remember.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just opened the Clothing Shop and the Town Hall on the same day and wow it feels like the whole game just opened up. So much to do, so much to buy. So many clothes! The fitting room lets you browse any color scheme for the items on sale even if they're not on display! I just dumped like 50k bells and filled up my storage.

Am I right that some of these clothes like the gingham shirt are just always in stock?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Polderjoch posted:

There is stringfish, you can catch them on the clifftop parts of the river from 4 PM to 9 AM.
Make sure you get one today though, this is the last day they spawn!

Does "clifftop" mean right at the start of the waterfall, or is it anywhere on a river that's not at sea level?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sockser posted:

The two full mannequins on the left side rotate weekly rather than daily

Gotcha, thanks!

Martytoof posted:

Anywhere above sea level as long as it's not a pond IIRC

Thanks! I've been doing this all wrong...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

The Able sisters are trying to distract me from paying off my house with their vast selection of the latest fashions.

It's absolutely insane how much stuff there is to buy through the fitting room. Between this and the additional Nook Miles items when the town hall opens up, my brain exploded this morning

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does anyone else constantly get a friend app notification from the Nook phone? It always shows up in the top left corner of my screen but there's never anything there, I still have to go to the best friend's app on the phone to clear it but then it returns a minute later

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Poque posted:

I loving hate Zipper and I want to banish him to hell already

They seemed to have toned down the "he's actually a jaded person/other animal inside a bunny suit" thing in this one, which makes him more annoying. Maybe later conversations will ramp it back up.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nook miles question: there's some items (street light, cotton candy booth) where you can directly buy the item with miles, but not the recipe. Is the recipe available elsewhere, or is buying with miles the only way to get those?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Do I activate the eggs somewhere? I haven’t seen a drat themed thing, but Isabelle gave me a picnic table and some trees are cherry blossoms now

Walk around the island until you find the bunny, he'll tell you the deal and give you some intro recipes. I thought he was gonna be in the town square but he was hiding out on a beach

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I liked how the "bunny day" was spread out over a few weeks, because sometimes it's just not feasible for me to play games for an hour or so on a holiday. But it sounds like there's still a unique one day only thing at the end of this festival?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you're getting angry at too many eggs hidden for the egg holiday in the animal village game I would recommend chilling out and/or doing something else

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Another fun fact about this bunny day stuff - Primary residents get a mail notifying the start of bunny day with a recipe enclosed. Secondary residents don't know anything about the day until they talk to the bunny. Also no free recipe.

Weirdly it worked backwards for me: I didn't get anything in the mail as primary villager, but my girlfriend who's secondary got a letter from Zipper with a recipe. She played after I did too, so it's not a "who logged in first" thing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm glad to have the real music finally but I don't think it's as good as new leaf's :smith:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

First I was excited by them, then I got tired of them, then I hated them. Then they defeated me. Then I loved them. They have won. I am egg.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The 2pm music is wretched and loops way too quickly

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Color Printer posted:

I think this has something to do with K.K. concerts? Or will they eventually "learn" songs they hear/sing enough? Either way, fascinating

I'm interested in learning more about this too! Flo started singing a lot lately but it's some atonal song I don't recognize. I'd like to teach her something new.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

https://twitter.com/Nellichka_/status/1246467363639361536

https://twitter.com/Nellichka_/status/1246467429003296769

https://twitter.com/Nellichka_/status/1246467449752600579

TLDR: Until you get your first campsite villager, the interiors of the residents houses loving suck permanently and you can't do anything about it.

That's a bummer, I hope they fix it. My two starter villagers are my favorites so I don't want to kick them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Duplicate fossils tend to sell for a few thousand, which is nice if you haven't been playing the stalk market and need bells.

I mean new ones do too but I'm not a monster