Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm so loving ready to run errands for my rude animal pals all year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I said come in! posted:

This is confusing because it shows up to 4 players, but the trailers clearly confirm way more than that. Or does that just mean on one system?

It says 1-4 on one system and then 1-8 online, to the right.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

enojy posted:

That's kinda big for a Switch game, crazy huge for Animal Crossing

It's about average to be honest. File size isn't everything though, you can't read much into that other than hooray it'll fit in the empty space on my console memory instead of on my microsd

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Have any first party Nintendo console games had mtx bullshit in them yet?

I feel like they haven't and that everyone is panicking over absolutely nothing, but I could be mistaken!

E:fb

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

glassyalabolas posted:

Luigi Mansion 3 has some DLC...

Is it lootbox gambling energy bar timer skip bullshit or is it Actual Content?

DLC =/= lootbox gambling energy bar timer skip bullshit

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I've only played a little bit of New Leaf but I'm considering picking this up to play with my wife. Can anyone explain to basically a newcomer how multiplayer works in this game? Presumably you can each have a house on your island, but is there going to be any way to play simultaneously on a single Switch or will we have to alternate playing?

The back of the box suggests it's going to be simultaneous local multiplayer for up to 4 people on a single switch.

I don't think it's been shown how that'll work as in whether it'll be split screen or lock you together at a certain distance or what, but then I haven't been obsessively watching everything that comes out about it to try and keep my hype in check so it might have been shown already.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stux posted:

ive used shopto a couple of times and they are legit, sometimes there is a short wait before the code comes through though. happened on my first purchase with them and i freaked but it came through an hour later and i havnt had it happen again since then.

I had to wait 36 hours for my Link's Awakening code when I bought it after launch, but my DQ11 and Pokemon Sword xpac codes were instant. It's very variable.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hekk posted:

Has there been any word on what multiplayer is going to look like? I have two Switches and the wife and I will definitely be playing. I am just curious to see if the gameplay experience will be substantially different if we have two copies of the game.

If you have two copies you'll be able to visit each others islands instead of having to live together on the same one, imho that's the more fun way to play since you can trade fruits and stuff for more bells plus nobody can accidentally gently caress up something the other person was doing.

They haven't said how single switch multiplayer will work in full detail yet but I already know idgaf about that, we are also a two switch household.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

enojy posted:

I've got a bad feeling about it, since Nintendo has spent the last few years discovering how quick a lot of people are to spend pennies at a time on pointless bullshit. It's a little early to be disclosing future DLC as an "in-game purchase", but who knows.

In optimism land, if they talked about buying DLC in-game later instead they'd have to get the game re-rated and jump through hoops for existing copies to reflect the fact the original ESRB boxout would be incorrect, so now is probably exactly the right time to make sure it's mentioned.

Edit: Pokemon has exactly the same listing in its rating, presumably because you can buy the expansion directly from inside the game and they always intended you to. There are no other purchases or mtx mechanics in Pokemon to warrant needing that tag.

Storm in a teacup until they say something to the contrary.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 9, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sure hope that direct comes soon so people can stop losing their minds that Nintendo are about to do something they've shown absolutely zero inclination to do, ever, for absolutely no reason.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

The first one had DLC in the form of separate hardware + separately purchased cards. Animal Crossing has always been a thing where they experiment with new ways to get you to buy ancillary things. Their Pocket Camp was also pretty bog standard in terms of game-infecting MTX systems. They haven't said anything yet to tell us what they're going to try with this one, but they've got reason, inclination, and history enough for it to be a reasonable concern.

None of that sped up any of the gameplay or skipped any time gated stuff and were all entirely optional "here's a neat thing you can have if you get this accessory but it's not going to make the 'game' any better or worse so who gives a poo poo" purchases.

The mobile game being full of mtx bullshit is literally because it's a free to play mobile game, that's what they exist for and their sole purpose is to annoy and tempt you into opening your wallet so should have absolutely no bearing on what you expect from the console title. As someone else pointed out, Pokemon and Fire Emblem's latest console entries are completely devoid of any of the mtx bullshit plaguing their mobile games and there's absolutely no reason to think we're suddenly getting loot boxes and energy meters in AC.

You may as well be losing your mind that having amiibos means people could get a few extra random fish and arrows (and some exclusive armour items!) in BOTW every 24 hours. I don't remember anyone giving a single solitary poo poo about that, and this feels exactly the same. You can also have a couple of extra racing suits in Mario Kart, holy poo poo Nintendo you loving monsters!!!

It's like you're basically all more interested in being able to go I FUCKIN TOLD YOU SO LOOK AT THOSE NICKEL AND DIMING PRICKS on the incredibly minor chance Nintendo decide that this is the perfect time to burn all of their earned goodwill and at the same time take a popular franchise out back to put a bullet in its head than thinking about this rationally.

Call me when they start selling $1000 space ships furniture sets.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Willo567 posted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but look at some of the comments in this article about the issue. Some people are already jumping to conclusions

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/animal_crossing_new_horizons_might_contain_in-game_purchases

People are doing it in this very thread, no need to go looking for it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

EA and 2K have broken all of your brains

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

:toxx: I will eat a ban if Animal Crossing New Horizons includes mobile-style microtransactions. Because it won't.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

stev posted:

At launch, or will it count if they're patched in later?

If at any time they add the option to do dumb poo poo like buy bells or speed up time then I will happily post a banme.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They've already said there won't be any direct connectivity between the mobile game and this.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Books On Tape posted:

I only played New Leaf briefly but am excited for this one. With the whole real time thing, if I can only play in the evening/night is there stuff I'll be missing?

In new leaf you could enact rules to change the times the stores opened and closed for this very reason, otherwise you could just fudge the system clock but that's not as fun.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shopto are down to £36.85 for the digital code and they're sending them out straight away for preloading, that's probably as cheap as it's going to get even on sale after launch for a good while.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dugong posted:

And there was me thinking coupons were the best way to buy first party releases in the UK! Will check Shopto in the future though.

Their digital codes are pretty much always the best price you'll find, I have no idea how or why.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I've always heard that on and off, I've used them almost exclusively to buy online for over a decade now and never had a problem but as always buyer beware I guess. Think it's the same rumour mill that produced "CeX is a front for money laundering" although that one is more likely to be true.

They were the kings of breaking street date for the longest time, you still get lucky every now and then but it seems a lot rarer.

Edit: for any first time shopto digital buyers, they don't actually email the code to you. You have to log into your account and go to your digital items, go into the order itself then there's a "get code" button to display the code.

Their website is absolute loving garbage and this process wasn't very clearly laid out at all the first time I used it, so just in case they haven't updated that initial experience (I just go straight to the purchases page now because I know the deal) please consider this a PSA.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 16, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stores and stuff being 24 hours is the real game changer here, god bless you Tom Nook

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm almost certainly never going to terraform poo poo because I'm lazy and uncreative but I look forward to seeing what people do with it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I finally put my amiibomb together and after a shaky start and having to redo my own lovely soldering I am now sat here making a stack of AC cards that I can't do anything with until the game comes out anyway.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

The direct said you could move your house and the shops.

It didn't say if you could move the animal villagers, but it would be weird if you could move everything else, but them.

Didn't it say you can decide where they set up home in the first place? It'd be weird if they gave you that option along with the option to move other stuff and then said "oh but not these particular buildings you already manually placed once days/weeks/months ago"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

I don't think they need 8 player houses; 4 of those players have to come from online people, so why would they have a house on your island? I could however see 4 player houses, to allow for everyone on your Switch to have their own place (since you can only have one island per Switch).

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What? They said in the direct that it's 8 players per island and that each player gets their own house. :confused:

Yeah it's 8 players per island, the confusion here is that local co-op is a max of 4 players at a time whereas online it's 8.

You can still have 8 players with 8 houses on one island, but only 4 playing locally at the same time :)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Give me a demo with a carry-over save Nintendo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Then give me special things for playing the demo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They show up randomly, flavoured as an in game visit of some kind and then you can try to make friends with them and get them to move to your town, basically.

They also try to move out in much the same fashion.

You could invite specific ones with amiibo cards later but that's not as fun imho.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 25, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Asciana posted:

Tell me more about making your own!

SeXReX posted:

You get blank nfc tags and use a phone app called tagmo to write the backups you made of amiibo you legally own to them

If you don't have an android phone you need to build something like an amiibomb which requires a minimal amount of soldering, but achieves the same goal.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I might be about to be put on a forced 2 week paid coronavirus quarantine vacation please release AC early TIA.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Let's get a demo for the weekend now that one exists at PAX

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are demos of other stuff on the eshop with carry over saves, so a little bit of both really

Edit: they could let you do character and island creation then lock it at the first mortgage payoff with a "your thing won't be finished until March 21st" message or something.

Then you can just fart around grinding bells if you really want I guess, other games have done similar poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PeePot posted:

As much as I'd like an early demo, there are way too many people buying the Special Edition Switch that won't get to play it with the rest of us.

Yeah but on the other hand they're getting a special switch so

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bitprophet posted:

Why’s that? Delays on shipping those units?

No it just isn't released until the 13th, exactly a week before the game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I mean if you have a better idea for how to make an Orange Clock I'd like to hear it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

rhoga posted:

I think at the end I see a few patterns with transparency. Still got my fingers crossed for that being added.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ACWorldBlog/status/1233264597467123712

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My town song has always been random notes because I am musically illiterate

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Last Visible Dog posted:

For me it was a snooty. Mathilda the kangaroo came to me asking if the "school blackboard" she just found was mine. I'd never seen it before, but of course I said yes. She seemed pleased to return it to me, and helped herself to a modest finder's fee to the tune of half the money I had on-hand, something like 100,000 bells.

I kicked her out of town as soon as I could, and started keeping spare bell bags in my letters after that.

You lied and got what was coming to you, no sympathy

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They'll add the option to buy suffixes on the eshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm gonna call mine a random string of characters or just Island, to own the libs myself.