Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Shneak posted:

In this world nothing is certain except death, taxes, and fighting the urge to buy a new Animal Crossing again even though you know it will fall out of your schedule too quickly. :negative:

Maybe, but it will be a lot of fun before it does fall out of your schedule. I am hoping that with this title in the series Nintendo will continue to regularly update it for a few years, at least to give us new things to do.

New Leaf taught me a valuable lesson- never delete my built up town. I got into the game in early 2015 when the New 3DS came out and played it ton until Halloween 2015. After that I put it away and didn't touch it much. In summer 2016 i got the idea i'd have fun re-doing my town so i erased the old one and started a new.

Well, pretty quickly I realized I didn't have the patience to do the work of actually making a new town so instead i wound up just putting it away and never coming back. I SOOOOO wish my old town was still there just so i could get my fix every now and then or check out the events as they happen throughout the year...but nope, I was dumb.

In New Horizons when the inevitable burnout happens, I'm going to keep my town. I know now that it will be fun to check-in from time to time.

I still can't believe the new game is about to come out. One of the reasons I decided that I'd not actually spend time to play a new town back in 2016 was that I figured surely a Switch (I think back then it was still code NX?) AC game would be out in the near future, so best to go in as fresh as I could. Didn't think it would be 2020 before a new release would happen!

Anyways, yeah, not gonna delete my town again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

ElTacoGato posted:

Really looking forward to this. Hurry up, March!

Also, despite not liking Pocket Camp, I have liked a lot of neat furniture/clothing/sets they have and I hope those make it into New Horizons in some way.

Pocket Camp had some amazing Halloween sets as well as other themed stuff. Totally cool with bringing a lot of those in.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You know how sometimes when you buy poo poo you don't need you get buyer's remorse? I feel the exact opposite of that with my AC switch purchase, especially given its selling out everywhere. I pre-purchased mine from Best Buy on Saturday and I am very happy about this. I wonder how surprised Nintendo is by this? I know limited edition nintendo hardware has sold well in the past, but stuff like Pokemon Sword/Shield Switch is still available.

Also, seeing this information keep coming by way of marketing material leaks and the hype surrounding every little thing is pretty great and fun.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I'm cool with paid DLC, which I would guess will DEFINITELY be a thing, but I would guess all of that pocket camp mobile nonsense will stay far, far away.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Stux posted:

did we see rosie yet. she wasnt in the released pics... wheres rosie...

she's paid DLC

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

All the fall screen shots they've shown off have looked so drat pretty.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I think most are super excited for it, hence the craziness that the special edition switch keeps selling out. That has to be a huge surprise for Nintendo.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Most likely what happened is nintendo planned to treat this animal crossing in the past regarding saves, but people (rightfully) started flipping their poo poo when it was discovered that New Horizons would behave the same way, so now they are actively working on a solution.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

What is everyone's favorite past AC world event and what would you all like to see added?

I love Halloween and would love to see that expanded on. I would also love some kind of 4th of July fireworks event! Hopefully with the online component, each year they can add more and more.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The lack of marketing for a major tent pole release such as this is so freaking weird.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Guess I'm buying the guide.

And yeah, it confirms the museum. I have usually been pretty bummed about single game focus directs, but not this one. I figure it's going to swallow up all my gaming time probably until fall.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I don't even know what to say at this point. Nintendo looks to of put EVERYTHING in this game that I'd ever want out of an AC game. The options and interface all look so robust and well thought out that New Leaf looks like a sort of crude alpha version by comparison. Everything looks so rich, vibrant and filled with detail. The music samples they played all sound so freaking awesome!

I'm SUPER stoked that holidays and events will continue to be added via free DLC. I would think that by not having to have all of them done and in the game on Day 1, they will be able to have a lot more time to flesh them out so when they are released, it becomes kind of a big content update.

I am actually in a mild state of freak out about this game. Like, I've wanted it for so long and now it's not only here, but it's some kind of next level, end game Animal Crossing to-boot.

It all looks so, so beautiful.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Shops being open 24 hours is a very good change.While I liked the idea of shops having set hours as it contributed to the whole "real world feel", in practicality it was pretty annoying and lead me to doing some time fuckery on certain days just because I had missed shop hours due to being busy. This alleviates that.

I cam to New Leaf in early 2015, when I made the jump into a 3DS on New 3DS release day. It will be fun playing an AC game from Day 1 this time.

Really happy that it's launching in Spring as the blooms look super pretty!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there's nothing else gameplay wise i could possibly ask for from this game after that direct, like holy gently caress

also the new museum exhibits look GODDAMN AMAZING holy poo poo

Yeah, the museum was the point where I started freaking out. That looks SO drat GOOD!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The crazy thing is that the way multiplayer will work here kind of makes me want to re-think my preordered AC switch and just stick with having one in the house so my wife and two daughters can all just live in the same town. I guess I have a month to think about it!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Dammit. I guess I'm gonna download Pocket Camp again.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nintendo just announced they will be hosting an Animal Crossing development panel at GDC discussing how the team brought New Horizons to life. I'm sure some cool info will come out of this.

AC is already a very popular franchise but this game is gonna sell a megaton of units, methinks.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Hi, so i'm confused about this amiibo stuff and what will work and what won't. Here's my question- will Julian work if I get him from here - https://www.etsy.com/listing/591841..._search_click=1 ?

I need Julian.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

Seems like it should. I'm assuming those just gave a bootleg NFC amiibo coded tag in there, though it's a bit of a pricy option.
If you have a NFC capable Android phone you should be able to get some Ntag215 stickers and make your own. I'm going to give it a shot, anyway.

Thanks. I have a work book bag with a bunch of cool keychains on it so I wouldn't mind adding Julian, especially if it gives me access to him in game. I'm cool with rando villagers, but I need my space unicorn!

edit - i ordered Julian so I will eventually report back!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 21, 2020

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

This is definitely the most hyped I've been for a game in forever. It's also the first time I've purchased a console specifically for the special edition related to a game when I already own the console.

It's weird knowing that this game is going to take up the majority of my gaming time for the next year.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Welp, definitely taking advantage of that deal as I will be needing two copies of the game for two Switches. Will be great to save $20 dollars day one. Crazy Nintendo is going to be offering a discount on day 1 for a big first party release!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Since I always end up living in a spoOoOky mansion I’ll probably make my town tune the Haunted Mansion organ from the foyer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDJPzvC6H8w

Yep, I'm gonna have a spooky mansion as well. Can't wait to go crazy for Halloween in this game!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Was listening to some New Horizons music rips (some of which are pretty garbled, but still, amazing soundtrack) and there is this K.K. Slider rendition of the main theme that sounds like a live track, complete with people clapping (the AWOOOO with the crowd doing it in unison after absolutely kills me). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQqAEM4T70E

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

This a-little-bit-more-than-two-weeks wait feels crippling right now.

At least the new AC switch releasing a week beforehand will be nice to get everything set up and carried over from my current system, versus spending a bunch of time on AC release messing with it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I am curious to see how contests have been updated. If nothing else, it would be nice to see them happen with a bit more frequency.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Can't wait to make Hauntsburg, my spooky town

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So a few weeks ago I placed an order for a Julian amiibo keychain from Etsy user Altia Studio and it just came in! It looks so good! (the business card note is a nice touch).

Now not only can I invite him to my town after getting a campsite, but my work book bag is sporting my favorite space unicorn. Sparkle.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I would guess the review embargo will probably be up on Friday, to coincide with the themed Switch release. A game like this has to be weird as hell to review.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I remember back in 2013 people who got review copies only had them for like a month. You can barely get the Club unlocked within one month unless you know how to make money and unlock town-related options from day one.

Yeah, i mean I don't care about reviews for a game like this because it's a buy no matter what, but given how this particular type of game operates the process of reviewing it has to be odd. I'd think it will probably take months for certain things be able to be built.

As for pocket camp, yeah, even being super hyped for New Horizons I tried getting back into it last weekend and I just cannot. If they want to tie certain pocket camp items to NH, fine. I just hope they don't do the opposite as I've no desire to ever install that crappy mobile game again.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So because someone at the office tested positive for coronavirus yesterday morning i was put on a 14 day quaratine instructed by the health department. I figured well crap, one day before my AC switch was ready for store pick-up, so I called best buy and had them change my order which was in process for me to pick up today to home shipping. This confused the associate and they said I'd have to call back today to change it. After we got off the phone i got notice my order was changed to home shipping so i figure "great!". Well, early this morning my status changed to "delayed" with a possible eta of next week, but the note that it may not be able to be fulfilled and i'll be refunded.

Dammit. Anyone else have the AC switch's in stock? If i can find one to order today I'll probably just cancel the BB order altogether to avoid any wackiness.

edit- actually it says April 12 now as date of fulfillment. Yeah. Screw that. MF'er.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 13, 2020

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I called Best Buy service and I'm in luck as my AC Switch pre-order is actually being picked in the warehouse now and will be shipped by monday at the latest. Woohoo!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Ok, I'll bite. Can I please have the tag?

Also the embargo just lifted and everyone has reviews up. Clearly they are only a few weeks in and online functionality hasn't been turned on yet, but they are all glowing from what I've read.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Question that sorry if I've missed - is it known whether the additional users on a switch that make their homes on your island cut into the actual number of animals available to move in? I.E. if 5 of us are on one island, does that mean we will only have 5 animals move in? Thanks!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I dunno, seems reasonable to think they could be added. As of now the game doesn't even have online functionality for reviewers and all are pretty early in their towns. Even if they are currently NOT planned to be in the game, given the online nature they could be added pretty easily I'd think if there was an uproar?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It's been awhile since I've played New Leaf, but yeah I think it took about a week.

The main negative I've seen in the reviews is that the first week of play is very slow while your island slowly opens up. That doesn't bother me to hear that as I've got all the time in the world, haha.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I lean reaaaaaally far to the left but oof that Vice review. That reads like a very well done onion article. The fact it's real is bizarre.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Clocks posted:

I'm wondering what to name myself/my island... Normally I go for a "gamey" name (like Clocks) but I might just go with my real name (Anna) this time. Which is funny, I went with Clocks for pocket camp and ran across a few Annas and I was like, dang, if they knew... but if I play online at all, that might get confusing for the people who don't personally know me.

As for the island, I'm guessing the US doesn't get any special "isle/island" additions, so it's just ten characters? A friend of mine suggested "Clock Town" - like from Majora's Mask - in honor of my name, but since I've never actually played the game (although I believe I watched an LP a long time ago) I am not sure I could do it justice... "Twin Peaks" fits in ten characters too... usually I am not too creative though, and certainly not very decisive, as y'all can tell by my posting style with the parentheticals and ellipses. :p

You may not of played the game before, but you'll probably have a town full of psychopaths so that will be close enough!

(Majora's Mask freaking rules)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Inu posted:

This thread is getting me excited for this game. Like, weirdly excited. I've never played a AC game before, so I don't know why I'm excited, but I'm really looking forward to setting up on my island.

My GotY for 2019 was BotW. (I was late getting a Switch.) I think I'm going to approach this game like it's BotW without combat. I just want to explore and try things out.

You are in for a real treat, friend. First Animal Crossing games make really powerful memories.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Between the long wait between releases, the pandemic where everyone is stuck inside (and along with that, this game offers a nice escape), and absolutely glowing reviews, this game is gonna be massive for nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Winklebottom posted:

I saw some glowing mushrooms in a preview vid, gonna fill my island with those

The glowy mushroom forest in the new pokemon was literally an "wooooow" moment for me when I first saw it, so hopefully this can be somewhat recreated.

I can't believe we are only a couple days out. I can forgive the first week being a slow one and am going to resist the urge to time travel. If nothing else I plan to get Doom 2 as well, so it will be a good excuse to plow through that game when I run out of the things the first few days.

The game really is launching at the perfect time, and that's ignoring the coronavirus stuff even. The blossoms in the air always looked super pretty in New Leaf and in this game I bet they will look amazing! I'm also excited to see how Bunny Day is handled. It would be awesome if these DLC holidays are significantly bulked up from their previous incarnations. While they were always fun of course, having more activities would be great.

edit - Infinitum you have been busy as hell so i dont mean to impose...but could i please have the tag? I asked a few pages ago so I'm technically in before the cut off!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 17, 2020