Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Pyronic posted:

So if Construction Guy ghost died like 6 months before Nanase Karin, what the gently caress.

Construction is dangerous work, friend. Local jobsite here had like 3 deaths in the span of 18 months or something. Led to the general contractor getting booted out.

I was personally on a jobsite where a dude got hung up on a 277V lighting circuit and they had to use an AED to start his heart again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Todays episode was really good, it felt like its really starting to ramp up the overarching story

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I felt like it was kinda dragging in the middle when Saki and Iwanaga were just monologuing like "this is gonna be fucken HARD" but I'm also still really locked in.

Did really like the detail of Iwanaga and Kuro being finally shown legitimately comfortable around each other to the point where she's not concerned about her eye and leg, but then he waited until she'd pulled herself together to let Saki in.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Patware posted:

Did really like the detail of Iwanaga and Kuro being finally shown legitimately comfortable around each other to the point where she's not concerned about her eye and leg, but then he waited until she'd pulled herself together to let Saki in.

I liked that too, Kuro isn't only about being in terrible photos and marking Iwanaga's emails as spam and does put thought into their relationship.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I do like how we see her comfortable talking to Kuro for an extended period of time without her prosthesis, but as soon as someone else pops on by he holds off opening the door until she put them back on. A good little bit of character building through their actions.

I also didn't know prosthetic eyes were shaped like that, i thought they were orbs.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do like how we see her comfortable talking to Kuro for an extended period of time without her prosthesis, but as soon as someone else pops on by he holds off opening the door until she put them back on. A good little bit of character building through their actions.

I also didn't know prosthetic eyes were shaped like that, i thought they were orbs.

Real eyes aren’t orbs either. They’re oblong, which is why astigmatism can happen when the two eyes aren’t exactly the same shape.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Begun, the posting wars have.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Not yet, but the next episodes will be all about defeating ghosts by shitposting on internet forums

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
This plot is amazing.

CR started putting up the dub. I'm... not a super fan of the direction.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tamba posted:

Not yet, but the next episodes will be all about defeating ghosts by shitposting on internet forums
Is this the next budding goon project? :raise:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kotoko is a garbage child who belongs in a dumpster, and I love her.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

the set up for the posting wars gets me so hype

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The contrast between how Kuro pictured Rinka living with him and then how he pictured Kotoko living with him was great.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
[x]

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Is this the next budding goon project? :raise:

Well we already created one called Slenderman.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I started watching this because of that tweet of the couple's photos and it is good.

Kotoko sucks, which is great.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Man, I really liked this series when it started but ever since the Nanase arc started it's just felt like it's dragged.
I was thinking this would have a similar structure to Hanako-kun and there'd be a new mystery each episode and maybe two or three parter episodes at most, but at this rate half the episodes in the series are going to be about Nanase, and it feels like most of the recent episodes has just been people talking in a room about what they are going to do rather than anything actually happening.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Man, I really liked this series when it started but ever since the Nanase arc started it's just felt like it's dragged.
I was thinking this would have a similar structure to Hanako-kun and there'd be a new mystery each episode and maybe two or three parter episodes at most, but at this rate half the episodes in the series are going to be about Nanase, and it feels like most of the recent episodes has just been people talking in a room about what they are going to do rather than anything actually happening.

For what it’s worth, the Nanase arc is by far the longest mystery in the series to date.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the original novel is just the nanase arc, the manga expanded it into a series but it was originally just that story

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Tales of Woe posted:

the original novel is just the nanase arc, the manga expanded it into a series but it was originally just that story

That’s pretty dire

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

it feels like most of the recent episodes has just been people talking in a room about what they are going to do rather than anything actually happening.

Yeah it owns.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In/Spectre: Dueling Shitposts

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this continues to be extremely my poo poo though i get why people might feel bait and switched if they were expecting shorter arcs based on the first couple episodes. seems like a common sentiment

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is DNA evidence not a thing in Japan or something?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
what are you proposing DNA evidence be used for?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

In plan three where she was discrediting the police's ability to correctly identify a body with a smashed in face. She brings up flaws in other forensics like matching blood types, fingerprints and physical appearance as ways to posit there could be a body double involved, but just skipped over the test they do (at least where I'm from) that can confirm if that body belongs to Nanase or not, caved-in head or no.

At this point they need to open their forums when the show is airing so I can piss on Kotoko's efforts in realtime. It's getting kind of boring to watch now to be honest but I'd definitely be more invested if we could participate in the shitposting with other people watching the show.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Tales of Woe posted:

this continues to be extremely my poo poo though i get why people might feel bait and switched if they were expecting shorter arcs based on the first couple episodes. seems like a common sentiment

I had assumed it would be a series of shorter arcs but I'm still enjoying it. Kotoko has been sufficiently built up that I'm rooting for her poo poo posting plan to succeed and I'm interested in learning what Rikka's motivations are for creating Steel Lady Nanase.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/1239907344181592064?s=19

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

This show's really fun when the characters are interacting but these last couple episodes are kind of a slog, honestly. I was kind of hoping that this whole thing would involve more.........posting? Like it's just Kotoko writing massive novels into a comment section and then five people asking cogent questions, it really feels like there should be more back and forth.

feels like a particularly weightless mediocre phoenix wright case

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It’s like some sort of anime Zeno’s Paradox. The longer the show goes on the slower it gets, so it’ll never reach its conclusion.

Seriously though, I’m still liking it and Kotoko is still great, but there was a hell of a drop-off in quality after the first few episodes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that the original light novel that came out way back in 2011 was just dealing with the OG case that introduced our MC's and then straight into the ghost-idol mystery case and that was it. The novel got a manga adaptation back in 2015 and, probably when Shirodaira (who also wrote Spiral: Bounds of Reasoning and Zetsuen no Tempest) revisited the setting again in 2019 which has released three more novels that are basically other Kuro + Kotoko shenanigans which will probably be covered/are being covered in the manga. I mentioned this before, but the first... volume and a half, I think? was actually one of the first things I read upon discovering the Mangadex website back in late 2017/early 2018. Unfortunately I have read nothing beyond that and I haven't checked anything concerning either the OG novel or the 2019 continuation aside from getting the "Yes, ghost-idol arc eventually goes away" confirmation from a LN reader friend in Osaka.

So from the looks of it, the anime seems like it's gonna cover that original 2011 novel + whatever the manga adaptation expanded upon regarding the Karin Nanase case. Which again: Probably would've made for a cool 6-7 episode arc, but kinda feels like it shoulda wrapped up by now. Or they shoulda done some rearranging because, while I love me some twists on mystery/occult detective cases (plus the interactions with the friendly ghosts that worship Kotoko/are scared shitless of Kuro are fairly endearing :3:), starting from like episode 7, this has kinda been spinning its wheels.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Varinn posted:

This show's really fun when the characters are interacting but these last couple episodes are kind of a slog, honestly. I was kind of hoping that this whole thing would involve more.........posting? Like it's just Kotoko writing massive novels into a comment section and then five people asking cogent questions, it really feels like there should be more back and forth.

feels like a particularly weightless mediocre phoenix wright case

I’m filing it under suspension of disbelief that Rikka’s PM box isn’t full of jackasses asking her for Nanase hentai.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
I feel like this definitely worked better in text than animated.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure there's a more elegant description for this type of adaptation blunders where it concerns pacing, but ever since Fall 2017, I've taken it to calling it the "Juuni Taisen Bullshit Corollary".

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Once the manga gets through the Nanase arc it goes to smaller mysteries that are only three or four chapters at the absolute longest, so if you like the premise of In/Spectre but are fatigued by the current arc I'd definitely recommend checking out the manga.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Once the manga gets through the Nanase arc it goes to smaller mysteries that are only three or four chapters at the absolute longest, so if you like the premise of In/Spectre but are fatigued by the current arc I'd definitely recommend checking out the manga.

Yeah, when I got to this point even in the manga I was feeling pretty fatigued but everything after that I've basically liked.

The bit with the Snake God early in the show was from the manga post-nanase parts, btw.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't mind longer arcs in principle, but it feels like this one could be an episode shorter just by cutting filler.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unfortunately, every detail about kotoko's would-be puppetmaster posting is actually relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's shitposting. Of course everything is relevant. :mmmhmm: