Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Devils Affricate posted:

Basically any time an authorized Sky Man says "ahh my eyes, a laser!" to the Ground Authorities they will set out to find you and gently caress you up, and just guess what sort of thing pinpoints your location no better than a bright beam of coherent light shined at a flying machine chock full of sensory and recording equipment

lol do you think all planes are just covered in special ground fired laser reverse triangulation targeting equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

ever since i became aware of rust-removing lasers i havent cared about any other kind

I bought one for a company, it's due mid february

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The Dregs posted:

It really seems like something out of some dystopian Gibson novel.

They used them to ground a drone too.
https://interestingengineering.com/chilean-protesters-used-lasers-to-bring-down-police-drone-and-it-worked

Any goon theories on how this works?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

Just looking at the dot on a wall will damage your eyes.

There's no way that's true.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
All the high powered laser pointers are sitting in a storage building next to boxes of those gas injection knives from 2008 that everyone thought were going to be used for murder sprees.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

gary oldmans diary posted:

ever since i became aware of rust-removing lasers i havent cared about any other kind

They're great because they are the first laser that actually sounds like a laser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q3DZB_l6M

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Vakal posted:

All the high powered laser pointers are sitting in a storage building next to boxes of those gas injection knives from 2008 that everyone thought were going to be used for murder sprees.

This is the first I've heard of these. I kinda want one now.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lol what the hell do you think happened to them OP they sent them all to Australia

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jay_Zombie posted:

This is the first I've heard of these. I kinda want one now.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

That's fuckin' rad.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Pretty sure the idea was if you're diving and a shark tries to eat you you use that injection knife on the shark and even if it's not instantly killed, it has it's buoyancy hosed up and tries to get away from you.

But of course it ended up as something sold in soldier of fortune etc.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Erisian Automata posted:

Pretty sure the idea was if you're diving and a shark tries to eat you you use that injection knife on the shark and even if it's not instantly killed, it has it's buoyancy hosed up and tries to get away from you.

But of course it ended up as something sold in soldier of fortune etc.

So It's a shark knife? That just makes me want it more.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Flavahbeast posted:

Are they really that damaging? I would expect to see IR lasers used as terror weapons if it was that easy to blind people with them

There have been people blinded by some jackass looking to gently caress random people up with one, but why would terrorists bother, for about the same price you can just buy a loving AR15 and kill the whole person instead of just their eyeballs

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Jay_Zombie posted:

So It's a shark knife? That just makes me want it more.

I used to dive and checking just now to make sure my memory hasn't TOTALLY gone to poo poo, yep. Shark knife.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I got blinded while driving some asshats were driving around shining it in rear view mirrors.

I just put on emergency flashers and slowly breaked, took 5 minutes to see at all again. Beam basically bounced across my eyes. Hope the fuckers got Karma' d.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol do you think all planes are just covered in special ground fired laser reverse triangulation targeting equipment?

yes cameras are fairly common in the year 2020

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Apparently Zuckerberg went through a phase where he bought a herd of goats and used an electrolaser to kill them for meat. Because he wanted to eat things he killed by his own hand and didn't want a huge mess or something.

An electrolaser is a supposedly hypothetical "ray gun" where a powerful UV laser ionizes the air for a split second allowing for electricity to shoot through the channel and kill the target. It's been a minor sci-fi gadget in literature for a while so it's not shocking that people actually bothered to invent the drat thing.

So if it's true, the 1% possess literal death rays. Heck I believe it considering that it's actually plausible, there are actual companies selling the things, and we live in the weirdest timeline.

Also if you use a death ray to kill animals because you want meat you murdered yourself... you might be exhibiting signs of supervillainy.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ramen Pride! posted:

Apparently Zuckerberg went through a phase where he bought a herd of goats and used an electrolaser to kill them for meat. Because he wanted to eat things he killed by his own hand and didn't want a huge mess or something.

An electrolaser is a supposedly hypothetical "ray gun" where a powerful UV laser ionizes the air for a split second allowing for electricity to shoot through the channel and kill the target. It's been a minor sci-fi gadget in literature for a while so it's not shocking that people actually bothered to invent the drat thing.

So if it's true, the 1% possess literal death rays. Heck I believe it considering that it's actually plausible, there are actual companies selling the things, and we live in the weirdest timeline.

Also if you use a death ray to kill animals because you want meat you murdered yourself... you might be exhibiting signs of supervillainy.

anyone who owns a microwave possesses a literal death ray but Zuckerberg's whole milieu sort of revolves around reinventing something that's been common for decades at a hundred times the normal price and somehow working way worse

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Zuckerberg is a reptillian and we're lucky a sheep killing death ray is the worst thing he's decided to trot out so far.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

anyone who owns a microwave possesses a literal death ray but Zuckerberg's whole milieu sort of revolves around reinventing something that's been common for decades at a hundred times the normal price and somehow working way worse

Yeah but a hacked microwave gun takes longer to heat up stuff. The target can run away screaming. An electrolaser is literally pew pew death from afar. It's much more supervillainy.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Ramen Pride! posted:

not only is this apparently true, i read an article and it said that Mark Zuckerberg apparently killed everything that he ate himself for an entire year

we are truly in the hands of madmen

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ramen Pride! posted:

Yeah but a hacked microwave gun takes longer to heat up stuff. The target can run away screaming. An electrolaser is literally pew pew death from afar. It's much more supervillainy.

sounds like it's from a considerably less far than, like, a taser

although if you're just trying to kill a captive animal might I also recommend just a loving hammer

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 4, 2020

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Pitdragon posted:

not only is this apparently true, i read an article and it said that Mark Zuckerberg apparently killed everything that he ate himself for an entire year

we are truly in the hands of madmen

i doubt it, here is a pic of zucks breakfast yesterday doubt he killed any of it

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Mnoba posted:

i doubt it, here is a pic of zucks breakfast yesterday doubt he killed any of it

Maybe the next time he thirsts for hand killed blood he can attach a microwave attachment to his death electrolaser and cook the meat as he blasts it.

Or maybe I shouldn't throw any ideas out there he might do it.

https://gizmodo.com/how-did-mark-zuckerberg-kill-the-goat-1831996690

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

is it more psychotic to make a hobby of killing livestock with a Home Depot claw hammer or to spend like $70 million on a customized high-performance laser-powered dog killer

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

is it more psychotic to make a hobby of killing livestock with a Home Depot claw hammer or to spend like $70 million on a customized high-performance laser-powered dog killer

Both are psychotic but throwing millions into the wind to do it is exponentially more psychotic.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
He doesn't have an electrolaser gun, and it isn't the sort of thing you would want to hold when firing anyway as the bolt of electricity would need to have such high voltage it would be more likely to zap you than whatever you're pointing at. It's a simple concept, but it turns out making a viable plasma filament using a laser is really hard (among other things the plasma once formed tends to block the laser), and convincing a spark to travel through it even harder.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Mooey Cow posted:

He doesn't have an electrolaser gun, and it isn't the sort of thing you would want to hold when firing anyway as the bolt of electricity would need to have such high voltage it would be more likely to zap you than whatever you're pointing at. It's a simple concept, but it turns out making a viable plasma filament using a laser is really hard (among other things the plasma once formed tends to block the laser), and convincing a spark to travel through it even harder.

I'm just amazed someone hasn't tried to do it with an eBay tattoo laser yet.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Mooey Cow posted:

They're great because they are the first laser that actually sounds like a laser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q3DZB_l6M

you're confused, this sounds like a RAZOR, not a LASER

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Ramen Pride! posted:

I'm just amazed someone hasn't tried to do it with an eBay tattoo laser yet.

They have tried, it just doesn't work. Mostly because they're usually just shooting a laser through a taser spark which will obviously not do anything, even if the lasers did form a plasma filament (which they don't).

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oh boy I have a story about these things.

In 2008 I was on a trip in China and while we were in Guangzhou one of the guys on the trip was determined that he was going to buy an illegal laser pointer capable of starting fires. He had done his research and determined the power he needed and that you *could* obtain them in China despite being technically illegal there as in the US at the power level he wanted. A group of us were going to this giant second hand electronic market that day and he recruited me and two other guys to help him on his quest. As you can imagine most of the stall owners would show us the laser pointers they already had on display and then play dumb or tell us to gently caress off when he asked for the more powerful ones that he believed they "had in the back".

After a couple of hours, he finally found a stall owner who indicated he could sell one for the right price. He told us that he did not have them at his stall since he could get in trouble but since the market was about to close he could go get one and bring it back and sell it to us around the corner. He then demanded the money up front, but my friend absolutely refused because he knew the guy would most likely disappear. Keep in mind all of this back and forth was happening between 3 white guys who spoke no chinese and and older chinese gentlemen who had very little english. I mainly just stood back and watched as it was quite loud and entertaining and I knew wherever this was going it was going to be a fun story and probably dangerous. Finally, the guy capitulated and agreed to take us with him and that's when I knew things were going to get interesting.

He took us outside and hailed a taxi, and by taxi I mean some dude in a van. These were illegal/unregistered taxis we were warned very strongly never to get into and that probably wouldn't pick up foreigners anyway as they were mainly used by locals. We jumped in. After about 20 minutes we pulled up into some kind of weird warehouse district that was way off the beaten path for any foreigners, people were giving us major stink eye through the windows. At this point, the dude demanded the money up front again. My friend finally agreed to 20% up front and then the rest of the money once he had the laser pointer AND had tested that it could light a cigarette. The dude got out of the van and disappeared for about 30 minutes by which point we were getting pretty nervous but he came back with a big box. The van took us back to our starting point and we all got out and my friend asked the chinese guy to demonstrate that it could light a cigarette which he had emphatically promised us it could.

Narrator: It did not (although he did burn holes through a plastic bag)

At this point, things started to get heated. Laser pointer friend demanded a significant reduction in price as it wasn't as powerful as promised and the chinese guy was adamant he had spent a lot of time and effort and he was getting full price. I'm still just standing back enjoying the adventure so far and the show as they argue back and forth. Suddenly the chinese guy grabs the stack of bills out of my friends hand and starts to walk off. My friend, who has a good 6 inches and 50lbs on this dude puts him in a chokehold from behind and the guy starts yelling something about foreigners attacking him in chinese. The 3rd guy is trying to pull the money out of the chinese dude's hand as I start looking around because we are the only white guys on a street with probably a good 100 chinese people going about their business. I notice that all of these other people that were ignoring us were suddenly not and I realized from their perspective all they see is 3 giant americans physically assaulting a chinese dude yelling for his life and trying to steal the money out of his hand. I see instant mob mentality as a good 50+ people start yelling and running at us. At this point I do the only thing I can do and step out into the street in front of a taxi (a real one) going pretty drat fast and force it to slam on its brakes to avoid hitting me while yelling at my friends to get in. My two friends notice the quickly approaching mob at this point and succeed in grabbing both the money and laser pointer at the same time and we all jump in the cab and speed off.

And that is how my friend got an illegal chinese laser pointer that can burn through plastic bags but not light a cigarette for free in Guangzhou.

Edit: and yes I understand we are being rear end in a top hat american tourist stereotypes in this story

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 4, 2020

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

There's no way that's true.

With a well-focused >1W laser pointed at a white wall? It is absolutely true. Glancing at the dot should be fine, but stare at it and yes it will cause permanent eye damage.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Hey, I'm a laser guy not an airplane guy. I was probably being a bit hyperbolic but all I know is that they manage to nab people who point high powered lasers at airplanes with a surprising level of efficiency.

MikeJF posted:

My understanding was that the danger to pets is people who pick up a toy laser pointer for nothing off a rack somewhere and it's a cheap off-spec alibaba crap that omits the IR filter.

The dangerous IR leakage is an issue with green lasers. Green lasers start by generating a near-IR laser, convert it to a full IR laser, then double the frequency to get green. Common red laser diodes don't do any of this, so there's no source of extra unfiltered IR. Regarding off-spec strength, yes if you buy a laser from Ebay or Alibaba there's a good chance you'll get something that's way stronger than 5mW, but uh... don't do that. If you're looking for something to use with pets, just stick to the dinky little ones that are about the size of a bullet and take the little flat silver batteries. They're cheap and can be found everywhere. I'm pretty sure I've even seen them in pet stores. Don't get the ones that are ~6 inches long and look like vape pens.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 4, 2020

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

yes cameras are fairly common in the year 2020

Yeah that's not how cameras work

Devils Affricate posted:

Hey, I'm a laser guy not an airplane guy. I was probably being a bit hyperbolic but all I know is that they manage to nab people who point high powered lasers at airplanes with a surprising level of efficiency.

I'm not sure what statistics you guys are finding showing them arresting people lasing planes.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I'm not sure what statistics you guys are finding showing them arresting people lasing planes.

There doesn't seem to be any info on how many people get away with it, so admittedly there's no way to get definitive numbers on conviction rate, but for what it's worth there are shitloads of stories of people getting busted for it. https://www.laserpointersafety.com/sentences/sentences.html

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
As a child I loved to set poo poo on fire with a magnifying glass and I'm 99% sure I gave myself permanent eye damage by staring at the focused beam burning poo poo :science:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

If any of you guys are in the bay area, photonics west is running in sf right now. The exhibition hall is free to enter and you can check out all kinds of lasers.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Spazzle posted:

If any of you guys are in the bay area, photonics west is running in sf right now. The exhibition hall is free to enter and you can check out all kinds of lasers.

sorry now that i know about the death lasers that can kill goats all other lasers are old hat

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

With a well-focused >1W laser pointed at a white wall? It is absolutely true. Glancing at the dot should be fine, but stare at it and yes it will cause permanent eye damage.

You said looking at, not staring.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"I kill everything I eat" says android Zuck, as he presses the button of a laser gun and has the carcass delivered to his personal butcher.

Probably doing research for his serial-killing challenge year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

You said looking at, not staring.

Is staring not a form of looking? To be more specific, just a few continuous seconds of looking at the dot can cause eye damage. Is 5 seconds considered staring?