Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I ate the sandwich once

It was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I gather they have Popeye's in Singapore? I'm visiting next month, are they good there?

Traveling to Singapore and ordering Popeyes is one of the stupidest ideas I’ve ever read.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Traveling to Singapore and ordering Popeyes is one of the stupidest ideas I’ve ever read.

lol

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Approaching random Singaporeans asking them in broken Chinese translated by an android app “Where be nearest Popeye © gentleman? Thanking you”

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I used the Popeye's app to get a three piece tender, side and biscuit for $3.99 today, and they gave me FIVE TENDERS in the THREE PIECE TENDER meal! Plus the green beans I got on the side were PIPING HOT and the biscuit was BUTTERY and fantastic as usual!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Wish the nearest pappeys wasn’t a 75 minutes drive :saddowns:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe you can make it a trip like do other things then on the way back home, go to popeyes for some eats.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Had a chicken sandwich yesterday. Ate in. On the way back to the car, turned around and got in line to order another.

No regrets.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BizarroAzrael posted:

I gather they have Popeye's in Singapore? I'm visiting next month, are they good there?

Just order chicken rice literally anywhere and it’ll be better than Popeye’s.

Japanese eye
Jun 27, 2018

by Reene
That's a good analogy, what mass murdering dictators would the other fast food places be

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
At my local Popeyes, I almost always get 2-3 more chicken tenders than I order, which is always a happy surprise.

Meanwhile, every customer seems miserable, like ordering is some Sisyphean feat that drains the souls of all who enter.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

At my local Popeyes, I almost always get 2-3 more chicken tenders than I order, which is always a happy surprise.

Meanwhile, every customer seems miserable, like ordering is some Sisyphean feat that drains the souls of all who enter.

Both of these check out for my local Pops.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Had the chicken sandwich for the first time. Spicy, of course. Fantastic. Easily lands in my top chicken sandwiches.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
can someone please explain what makes these particular chicken sandwiches so good, especially in comparison to other chicken sandwiches?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

YeahTubaMike posted:

can someone please explain what makes these particular chicken sandwiches so good, especially in comparison to other chicken sandwiches?

I mean, keep in mind that it's still a fast food fried chicken sandwich. I wouldn't call it some kind of food miracle or something.

Compared to chick-fil-a, it's a bigger sandwich and the ingredients just seem better top to bottom (better bread than a generic hamburger bun, better pickles than the tiny neon green chips, the spicy sauce has a nice flavor profile, good ratio of chicken to bread.)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The chicken was for sure where it seemed a step above. Didn't taste processed, wasn't dry, good breading.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So you guys are saying ... you love that chicken from Popeyes?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

Maybe seem miserable because every time you order, you're rolling the dice. I used to go to the Popeye's on an air force base, where all the food was in a hot case right there on the counter and they'd grab your food as you ordered, so you'd see what's going on. The guy filling the order has to pick out 5 tenders for you; does he pick out the scrawniest little paper-thin strips that could still be legally considered "5 chicken tenders", or will he grab 6 big ones because he's just feeling good about life at the moment? The fry basket is practically empty; is he going to try and scrounge up about a serving's worth, or will he put your order aside for 30 seconds until the next batch comes out? Even though the stakes were just "what quantity and quality of greasy food will I be receiving today", the ordering process was fraught with tension :v:

That was a drat good Popeye's though, probably one of the cleanest fast food places I've been to. If the manager was taking my order, I'd usually end up with a bonus piece or two, and he'd stuff the box so full of fries it could barely close. The other employees... hit and miss.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

edit: blackened ranch is the best sauce

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So you guys are saying ... you love that chicken from Popeyes?

Hell yeah I am.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ordered a 3 piece spicy tenders last night, got like 6 :kiss:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just started a new job and there’s a Popeyes down the block. I’m in heaven and hell at the same time.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

That was a drat good Popeye's though, probably one of the cleanest fast food places I've been to. If the manager was taking my order, I'd usually end up with a bonus piece or two, and he'd stuff the box so full of fries it could barely close. The other employees... hit and miss.

Popeye's locations on military installations are a whole different world (usually in a very good way) from civilian ones.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Had the spicy chicken sandwich yesterday. It's a HUGE sandwich compared to its competitors. Also, had a bit while eating it that would make me remember that I'm eating very spicy food. Very Spicy for fast food. Would recommend for spice lovers on the go.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

3 piece tenders combo, plus a free extra, all huge!

Bless this franchise.

Also I can't bear to order anything other than spicy w/ buttermilk ranch, I just don't believe it can be topped.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

3 piece tenders combo, plus a free extra, all huge!

Bless this franchise.

Also I can't bear to order anything other than spicy w/ buttermilk ranch, I just don't believe it can be topped.

Spicy is the correct tenders choice, but try the blackened ranch. It's probably my favorite dipping sauce from any fast food restaurant.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Blackened chicken is pretty drat good. Note all food has to have the texture of baby food.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I finally had that new chicken sandwich that everyone was raving about (and at one point Popeye's ran out of)

It was the best fast food chicken sandwich I've ever eaten and totally lived up to the hype.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fenrir posted:

I finally had that new chicken sandwich that everyone was raving about (and at one point Popeye's ran out of)

It was the best fast food chicken sandwich I've ever eaten and totally lived up to the hype.

It really is pretty good, and the lines are manageable now.

Now I realized those sandwich lines were the only lines like that before :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Spicy is the correct tenders choice, but try the blackened ranch. It's probably my favorite dipping sauce from any fast food restaurant.

I keep meaning to get spicy tenders with blackened ranch, but I keep forgetting and get the spicy sandwich instead.

I mean that's hardly a tragedy, but still.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

UltraRed posted:

Blackened chicken is pretty drat good. Note all food has to have the texture of baby food.

Please don’t feed fried food to babies thanks

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

yikes! posted:

Please don’t feed fried food to babies thanks

This joke doesn't work!!!!!

I want to go outside and have fast food. Dunno if Popeye's is open.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Trip report!

While I concede blackened ranch is indeed the superior dipping sauce on its own, I still feel the combo of spicy with the offsetting cooling of the buttermilk ranch is the superior pairing.

However, the next time they only have regular chicken I would definitely choose the blackened, you're not wrong, it's freakin tasty.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Got some popeye's coupons in the mail. Zombie's are getting smarter at getting people to go outside.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SilvergunSuperman posted:

blackened ranch is indeed the superior dipping sauce

agreed

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Not enough love for Sweet Heat itt

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Not enough love for Sweet Heat itt

Man they introduced Sweet Heat right around the time that Tabasco stopped their ~3 year run where stores were actually stocking Sweet and Spicy (you can still get it through online vendors), and it became my go-to to get like double the amount of Sweet Heat and just take the excess home and throw it in the fridge. Tastes nearly identical to the Tabasco version, just a tad more viscous.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
For some reason i git bored and ordered the blackened tenders...

I regret it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

JK Fresco posted:

For some reason i git bored and ordered the blackened tenders...

I regret it

Yeah, it's spicy tenders and/or blackened ranch, but not blackened tenders IMO.

Unrelated, but Buffalo Wild Wings "naked tenders" are shockingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I feel sorry for everyone who doesn't get to consume popeyes spicy chicken.