Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I wish they'd just bring back potato cakes. :(

Arby's got rid of potato cakes? What the gently caress?

Please don't tell me they've gotten rid of turnovers, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

aniviron posted:

I know for a fact that you can get it at grocers. My family has a running joke: at the drivethrough as a kid, my mom wanted horsey sauce and my dad refused to say the proper name to the person at the window, he said "horseradish sauce" but the person at the window wanted clarification so they went back and forth until he had to say it eventually. Long story short, I found some at a local supermarket last week and sent it to him.

Arby's - Too Proud To Say "Horsey Sauce"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Judgy Fucker posted:

Arby's got rid of potato cakes? What the gently caress?

I only tried the potato cakes once, just before they vanished. They were good but reminded me too much of breakfast, now I'd love to have something that fresh and crispy again.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Am I misremembering or did they have jalapeno poppers at one point too?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Am I misremembering or did they have jalapeno poppers at one point too?

Scared me for a sec, but they still have those here as far as I know.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It went from 3 Arby's to 0 in the interval between now and the start of 2020. I'm totally out of the loop, but the craving doesn't go away! :mad:

----------------

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
The prices are obscene, here at least. And I'm not a huge person (I keep it under seven hundo, natch) but I swear to poo poo they shinkflated the piss out of their beefy cheddars. But I really like their gyros. Not the spicy version tho. thanks for asking I didn't even know the forum existe

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I was never a fan of their cheese sauce. Give me 4-5 Junior Roast Beefs (Beeves???) with just a shwackload of Horsey sauce and maybe one pack of Arby's sauce for the curly fries. I also dug the Chicken Bacon Swiss- don't recall ever doing the Cordon Bleu.

----------------

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

I was never a fan of their cheese sauce.

I thought we were friends...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no reason to have cheese sauce when they have horsey and au jus

----------------

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm just not really on board with their cheese sauce. There's no cheese taste to it, it just tastes like some kind of bland white sauce. I'll break down and get a beef & cheddar once in a while because it's ok as a background component, but they like to slap so much on that it brings everything down. Any kind of nacho sauce you can get anywhere else would be better...maybe time to stop at the Taco John's down the street beforehand next time.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010
If we're talking discontinued stuff bring back onion petals, I want fast food bloomin onion again

----------------

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm just not really on board with their cheese sauce. There's no cheese taste to it, it just tastes like some kind of bland white sauce. I'll break down and get a beef & cheddar once in a while because it's ok as a background component, but they like to slap so much on that it brings everything down. Any kind of nacho sauce you can get anywhere else would be better...maybe time to stop at the Taco John's down the street beforehand next time.
It really is bog standard cheez sauce, or worse. The stuff at Wendy's is better imo, it's a lesser used item and doesn't have as watered down a consistency. Sometimes a Cheezy Cheddarburger- literally just a patty, slice of cheese, and a healthy blurp of the cheese sauce they use for the potatoes on a bun, can really hit the spot. I find sometimes the JBC is subject to the McDLT Effect, whereby the number of cold ingredients- lettuce, tomato, condiments, particularly too if the bun is cold- lower the temperature of the patty, prevent the cheese from melting, thus reducing overall enjoyment.

Baller Ina posted:

If we're talking discontinued stuff bring back onion petals, I want fast food bloomin onion again
I regret not trying these most of all.

----------------

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

It really is bog standard cheez sauce, or worse. The stuff at Wendy's is better imo, it's a lesser used item and doesn't have as watered down a consistency. Sometimes a Cheezy Cheddarburger- literally just a patty, slice of cheese, and a healthy blurp of the cheese sauce they use for the potatoes on a bun, can really hit the spot. I find sometimes the JBC is subject to the McDLT Effect, whereby the number of cold ingredients- lettuce, tomato, condiments, particularly too if the bun is cold- lower the temperature of the patty, prevent the cheese from melting, thus reducing overall enjoyment.

Coincidentally, I have the same problem with the pub cheese sauce they occasionally put on stuff, it's just kind of bland creamy stuff that has an essence of cheese flavor at most. Their regular cheese sauce is definitely better, it's exactly what I want for Arby's. Just a completely normal cheesy sauce that you'd use on fries and nachos.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Baller Ina posted:

:cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I posted about this a while back, but I made like a 97.5% authentic homemade version of the beef n cheddar at home using Rico's cheddar cheese sauce and Kraft Catalina dressing, they are both perfectly bland enough to be one-for-one substitutions

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
What's the best way to prep the roast beef? They steam it, don't they?

----------------

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I did a foil-wrapped sort of en papillote type deal, shaved beef inside with a splash of beef broth and then threw it the oven for a while

Worked out great, and then you have a bonus side of sorta weird au jus if you want

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I wonder if shaved London Broil would be better, although, yeah, might as well stick with the regular shaved roast beef. But it is an idea though :jerry:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just looked it up and realized all the deli meat roast beef i've seen is only cooked to medium-rare. i guess that's why they slice it so thin since it'd be pretty tough otherwise

----------------

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

postmodifier posted:

I posted about this a while back, but I made like a 97.5% authentic homemade version of the beef n cheddar at home using Rico's cheddar cheese sauce and Kraft Catalina dressing, they are both perfectly bland enough to be one-for-one substitutions

I like Rico's although I remember that I add a can of rotel to it often.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm glad this thread reminded me that the jalapeno bites exist, I got some today and they're so good I'm not sure why I always forget about them. They're a solid anywhere, but between the whole pepper slices and using cream cheese, Arby's has the best version.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hope you got the bronco berry sauce and dipped the poo poo out of them innit cuz drat is that the besssst.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Philthy posted:

Hope you got the bronco berry sauce and dipped the poo poo out of them innit cuz drat is that the besssst.

Oh of course. I don't think I tried the sauce before this year, but it goes perfectly there. For all I complain about the cheddar sauce, Arby's has a pretty good number of distinct quality sauces for a fast food chain.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Pour one out for me - all the Arby's in my area closed down, so I can't enjoy the diablo dare or the wagyu burger.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Pour one out for me - all the Arby's in my area closed down, so I can't enjoy the diablo dare or the wagyu burger.

I feel you, brother. The worst part of it being gone is it's not like a hot tub. You never get used to it.

----------------

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

They had the meats :rip:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I've been inspired to make Arby's-esque roast beef sandwiches at home- here's what we've got so far for tomorrow's lunch:

-Martin's potato buns, sandwich size (8)- probably should have held out for something with sesame seeds but not sure what style/source would have the appropriate sweetness.
-Locally roasted beef, shaved, that the deli guy got his ungloved hands all over, massaging it into a little pile :catstare:
-Beano's Horse Radish Sauce- I hope this is good. It has a little picture of a horse on it, so that is promising. Quite a few brands all over but the place I ended up buying at only had this and Stonewall Kitchen horseradish aioli, but tbh I find their stuff usually sucks or is overrated at best. Never quite hits the spot with whatever product it happens to be.
-Club House au jus in a packet. There's no way Arby's uses actual jus from their own beef, right? If so, respect.

Critique at will- even if not an exact replication of the Arby's experience, I believe I have secured all the makings of an enjoyable lunch. :hai: Will report back.

----------------

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Horseradish sauce is always the wrong call, make your own if you must dilute it but goddamn the jarred stuff is poo poo.

----------------

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Horseradish sauce is always the wrong call
Not if you’re trying to recreate Horsey Sauce.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I ordered a half pound roast beef and they gave me a beef and cheddar and I was mad for about a half second and then went with it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That reminds me, I finally got around to getting some actual cheese sauce and bringing it along to Arby's to make my own beef & cheddar. It was kinda too messy to be worthwhile, everything slides around too much putting the sauce on sheet the fact and it just turned into a mess. The cheese tasted a bit stronger, but not as much as I'd expected. In conclusion, :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyone have the Spicy Roast Beef yet?

----------------

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyone have the Spicy Roast Beef yet?

"The Spicy Roast Beef" sounds like a gross sex act.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Auuuuggghhhh!! How could you give your own brother the Spicy Roast Beef, Dominic?!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

Auuuuggghhhh!! How could you give your own brother the Spicy Roast Beef, Dominic?!

I gave myself the spicy roast beef. It's ok, basically just a roast beef with lettuce, underwhelming jalapeno pieces, and buffalo sauce.

----------------

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I finally got bored enough to give the buffalo boneless wings a try. No surprise, half of them were tiny as hell, and I'd believe you if you told me they were from the frozen foods aisle at the grocery store. The upside is that the ranch dip works better with mozzarella sticks than their standard marinara.

I'm just ready for them to do something weirder on the limited time menu again, it feels like they've been pretty uninteresting lately.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
here's a crazy idea; bring back onion petals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The steakhouse garlic ribeye sandwich must popped up, so I grabbed one for lunch today. I wouldn't say it's exciting, but it's a good flavor combo that's more interesting than their regular stuff. It'd be a good addition to the regular menu. Although once again, they're teasing us with crispy fried onions existing but not being able to be ordered as sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the arbys that gave me the sandwich with flies has closed down permanently :rip: