Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Vando posted:

mods rename this the Greggathread

If I have to lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
I'm fully onboard with the Greggathread

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I had a Greggs Chicken/Bacon baguette after work, AMA.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

what beverage pairing did you go with?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Modrasone posted:

what beverage pairing did you go with?

Diet Coke like the normie I am.

I'm pretty new to the UK and literally know only two soft drinks: Diet Coke and Irn Bru. Open to suggestions besides Dr. Pepper or Mt. Dew.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Thread title updated

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

When I was in London I bought a greggs sausage roll and it loving sucked. Immediately fell apart and the filling was meager. What a waste.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Love me some Irn Bru tho

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Galewolf posted:

Diet Coke like the normie I am.

I'm pretty new to the UK and literally know only two soft drinks: Diet Coke and Irn Bru. Open to suggestions besides Dr. Pepper or Mt. Dew.

get your hands on some dandelion and burdock post-haste

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
My typical Greggs run when bothered is a bacon baguette (ketchup), jam doughnut and a chocolate eclair

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

My typical Greggs run when bothered is a bacon baguette (ketchup), jam doughnut and a chocolate eclair

mx. bigshot with your two puddings YOU'RE NOT BETTER THAN ME

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

josh04 posted:

get your hands on some dandelion and burdock post-haste

The next time I'm Greggin', for sure. Will post a field report.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 8, 2020

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Cheese & onion pasty, cheese pizza and vegan sausage roll for me

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I used to have the vegetable pasty but tbh it's not that great

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Can this be also the general UK fast-food thread because I want to post my super-market meal deal tier list and talk about other chains without cluttering the forums?

Even if not, here is my totally objective and correct meal-deal tier list (based on price/performance)

Greggs Tier:

Tesco Meal Deal: Chicken Club or Bacon / Sausage / Eggs + Diet Coke + Grapes and Strawberry Cup. Pretty much a good breakfast/lunch combo if you have like 75 minute Overground commute to West Croydon and cannot have something at home.

Tesco meal deal is the best bang for your hard earned 3 pounds imo.

"Is that grape imported from Jupiter, jfc!" - tier:

M&S Meal Deal. I honestly think that there isn't too much difference in taste but by god their Chicken Rolls are good. Not much in terms of selection when it comes to snacks whereas you can literally get a full sized sausage roll and 500 ml soda in Tescos and 360noscope 800 calories in one sitting.

"Siri, find me the nearest Greggs instead of this garbage" - Tier

Sainsbury Meal Deal. Literally worse than Tescos for 50 p more in every metric.

Rest: Rather stay hungry.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Boots meal deal rules. They always have cool and weird sandwiches.

Also I think the unique depressiveness of British supermarkets deserves their own thread tbh

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've not had one but there's something really offputting about the concept of a Boots sandwich. I don't want my lunch from the place I get my medication.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
From experience I find that a greggs' quality is inversely proportional to how upscale the area is.

I say this cause at one point I worked in Wilmslow and the greggs there was absolute garbage to the point it put me off for a couple years. They did the most awful, moist sausage rolls that were just unpleasant to eat.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

stev posted:

I've not had one but there's something really offputting about the concept of a Boots sandwich. I don't want my lunch from the place I get my medication.

Tbh, it took me a while to realize that Boots is not a clothing shop but where I will get meds. I honestly never been to one so didn't even knew they did food.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Does anyone have any suggestions about croissants? I really love butter croissants but not the crispy, well-baked ones. I like mine undercooked, doughy and soft so some Tescos have those just like I enjoy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
morrisons meal deal has the widest range of snack options and you can use the salad bar instead of getting a sandwich

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

you can use the salad bar instead of getting a sandwich

wtf

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Galewolf posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions about croissants? I really love butter croissants but not the crispy, well-baked ones. I like mine undercooked, doughy and soft so some Tescos have those just like I enjoy.

Not really an answer but I just wanted to chime in with how great the Lidl bakery section is

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

I dont have one near me and every day it saddens me

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Not really an answer but I just wanted to chime in with how great the Lidl bakery section is

I live 5 min to the high street that has Greggs, Lidl and CO-OP next to each other, which is surely a blessing from the pastry god.

My Turkish food market is also like 10 min walk which is pretty #blessed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

As in wtf why would you or wtf that's allowed?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Galewolf posted:

Do not get the Waitrose ones, they are too posh and properly cooked

I'm like you, and have great luck with the Tesco chocolate croissants - they tend to undercook them. More than the normal ones. Must be related to the chocolate...

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Amphigory posted:

Do not get the Waitrose ones, they are too posh and properly cooked

I'm like you, and have great luck with the Tesco chocolate croissants - they tend to undercook them. More than the normal ones. Must be related to the chocolate...

If you're a fan of marzipan then an almond croissant will get you the texture you want every time. Delish.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Biting into an almond croissant without realising it is one of life's most subtle disappointments

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Biting into an almond croissant without realising it is one of life's most subtle disappointments

I can feel the melanchony of this post.

Tfw you are craving for sum Tesco butter croissants and they only have almond ones :smithicide:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

tesco have these lemon curd filled muffins now. over a quid, just obscene decadence

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sainsbury's meal deal was fine in years past until they started penny pinching and took the sub style sandwiches out of the deal. They still keep them in the same fridge among the qualifying deal components though, the fuckers

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

kecske posted:

sainsbury's meal deal was fine in years past until they started penny pinching and took the sub style sandwiches out of the deal. They still keep them in the same fridge among the qualifying deal components though, the fuckers

tesco occasionally take the cheese & onion sandwich out to trip up the unwary shopper. a classless move

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Who is paying for a full meal deal and taking the cheese and onion sandwich :eyepop:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Who is paying for a full meal deal and taking the cheese and onion sandwich :eyepop:

pick a fruit smoothie and you are essentially making money :colbert:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

if you don't pick peperami as a snack you are funning on yourself

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

oh but seriously I posted:

if you don't pick peperami as a snack you are funning on yourself

I was a pepperami guy but if I see grilled chicken breast fillet, I'll go for that.

The grapes and strawberry fruit cup is also p. good.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

another good option is to go to Greggs

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

oh but seriously I posted:

pick a fruit smoothie and you are essentially making money :colbert:

That Vita coconut water costs almost as much as the meal deal by itself...but it's in the meal deal! This means I always get it if it's there even if I'd actually prefer a diet coke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kecske posted:

The general sandwich selection in the Sainsbury's meal deal is terrible