Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LunarBinary
May 23, 2018
I hear there was a bee shortage. Are bees ok now? I never saw a price increase in honey. Did the bees come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I think wasps are okay in comparison, like this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
yeah. if its a legitimate collapse the bee colony has ways to try to shut that whole thing down

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

based on my secondhand knowledge, no. the bees aren't alright. furthermore, bees have always been Good (like, in an alignment sense. Bees are Lawful Good. I don't understand your question OP.)

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All I know is there's a big rear end nest somewhere near where I work, you go outside to smoke and bees everywhere, they'll land on you to get a second hand nic fix or puff and pass because bee work ain't easy.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
My family had three hives when I was a kid. Eventually they were all gone. Hive collapse is not new; more prevelant, but it is not the coming apocalypse.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Only good bee is a dead bee. So they are all very very good bees

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

LunarBinary posted:

I hear there was a bee shortage. Are bees ok now? I never saw a price increase in honey. Did the bees come back?

A poo poo ton of honey comes from China. Shockingly, China's production has increased without a similar increase in the number of hives. It's motherfucking magic!

There is a really good episode of a show called Rotten on Netflix that deals with honey bees.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

u are a monster sir, i don't even care about your rank

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If the bee population were to all die, we would pretty much starve to death.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
deez beez

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

All bees are good as hell.

Hornets are not bees even though they look sick nasty.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

I said come in! posted:

If the bee population were to die we'd have migrant children separated at the border pollinate by hand. We will be ok. Besides, honey bees are an invasive species in much of the world and yet folks grew food just fine before their arrival.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

Mozi posted:

deez beez

These are both good posts.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

One time I planted some purple coneflowers and I got like 7 or 8 bees visiting each of them :kimchi:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Pet every bumblebee :3:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
• it was probably mostly because of "varroa mites"– they invade bee colonies and gently caress them up
• the bee population seems to still be on an unsustainable downward trend...
• ... but due to budget cuts the u.s. department of agriculture suspended data collection for honey bee colonies (thanks obama. wait sorry I mean the other guy)
• concerns about it are serious but also overstated– bees are actually an invasive species in the americas and have only been here for a couple hundred years. we'd survive without them, but their loss does represent a substantial threat to about 1/5th of our produce
• it's probably fine. they're looking into pesticides that are less harmful to bees to help mitigate the problem and also trying to develop techniques to protect colonies from varroa mites. I mean, it's probably fine, right? probably not a big deal, I'm sure some really smart people are working on the problem right now and it'll turn out just fine. it'll be fine. it'll be fine. it'll work out. you'll see. just watch. it'll be fine.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
The decrease in pollinating power caused by the loss of honey bees can be mitigated by a bunch of really big box fans.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The bees will die out but we'll do it first. 2nd place is just first among losers, bees.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

EorayMel posted:

Is that the one that gouges a cockroach in the brain, brings it home, injects it with eggs, and lets larvae slowly eat the zombie cockroach from the inside out? That one is emerald something at least

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

There are also Mexican honey wasps that pollinate plants and make honey but not as much as honeybees do

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Woodpile posted:

The decrease in pollinating power caused by the loss of honey bees can be mitigated by a bunch of really big box fans.

Bee guy is not going to like this.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

EorayMel posted:

wanna get stung by that wasp :kimchi:

dammit- the sting of a cuckoo wasp is ineffective: Actually cuckoo wasps can sting. Only their sting is greatly reduced and not an efective weapon. Such sting can penetrate soft human skin only and if taken by figers they can not sting because of the thick skin on fingers (but they are trying if you look carefully)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Woodpile posted:

If the bee population were to die we'd have migrant children separated at the border pollinate by hand. We will be ok. Besides, honey bees are an invasive species in much of the world and yet folks grew food just fine before their arrival.

there were many types of bees in the americas before europeans arrived dummy

you can't grow industrial quantities of foods that require pollination without the style of beekeeping where they truck hives from place to place

probably we shouldn't be doing that type of agriculture in the first place but that's a different point and we'd still need bees

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Here are orchid bees. The males have a scent pouch to collect fragrances to help them recognize other flowers to visit

:lsd: :lsd: :lsd: :lsd:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

No that's heresy, the only way to do things is literally rape Earth and reproduce and spread our affliction across her corpse and then the solar system and then the universe at large

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

EorayMel posted:

Looks like a cheap palette swap to me

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Beekeepers actually hurt the bee population because now native bee populations have to compete for resources

Honey isn’t vegan anyways just leave the loving bees alone

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Klyith posted:

there were many types of bees in the americas before europeans arrived dummy

you can't grow industrial quantities of foods that require pollination without the style of beekeeping where they truck hives from place to place

You can. Bees happen to be really good at it and work cheap. Box fans. Helicopters. Migrant children knocking flowering stems with pencils. And et cetera! Food will become more expensive. We may grow less of it. But we won't starve.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just face it the best thing we can do for the world and life in abstract sense is to go extinct ASAP.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bees are in risk of extinction. So are (household) bananas and avocados, but for different reasons.

Also this;

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

furthermore, bees have always been Good (like, in an alignment sense. Bees are Lawful Good. I don't understand your question OP.)

itry fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 5, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Honeybees are fine and have been

Ground bees are pretty much hosed and mostly dead already in a lot of places and they matter a lot.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I loving LOVE BEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

beers have always been good

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Could they BEE any more good?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Do it ironically posted:

Honey isn’t vegan anyways just leave the loving bees alone

lol at not doing something because it isn't vegan.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

sigher posted:

lol at not doing something because it isn't vegan.

please do not gently caress the bees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Arby's sucks unless you like the admittedly fun sensation of squirting diarrhea