Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

3 pages and no Munchie Box?

It’s linked on page 2. Pizza Hut Belgium also tried their own version where you’d get cheese stcks, wings, potato chips and something else stuffed into the corners of your pizza box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Absolutely. Just make sure it's the real thing from a Polish store, and none of this poo poo that I found at a supermarket during Lent:

Bavarian?! I know a corporal who lived there had some ideas at some point but c'Mon.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Gridlocked posted:

3 pages and no Munchie Box?

This is a forum for positivity. Nobody wants to drag things down to that level.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Cached Money posted:

Went to Scotland last summer, get a meat and gravy pie.

I'll add it to the list.

I don't know why I find street food/fast food in other countries fascinating. Ironically, it wasn't until after I lost a shitload of weight that I started noticing it. I try to visit a McDonald's just once when in another country, just because of the differences (finally did prove that Vince Vega was right about McDonald's in Paris).

So with that in mind, I'd like ask why we don't have curry sauce as a side in North America. I unfortunately missed a connecting flight in Vienna in September, so I checked out the airport McDonald's. Sure enough, another country that serves it -- plus, curly fries:

I visit a small fish & chip shop in Belfast last year, and the owners were surprised we don't really have it. My only consolation is that in my experience, Europeans have to pay for all condiments, including extra ketchup.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my favorite local mcd condiment has to be fritessaus

(internet photo)

ungodly good with their fries, but like you said, small packet that you have to pay extra for. wish it was available internationally.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

man this loving forum, been thinkin and consequently eatin way more junk food than i should/usually do.

i'm makin fries.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rinkles posted:

(internet photo)

ungodly good with their fries, but like you said, small packet that you have to pay extra for. wish it was available internationally.

Funnily enough this stuff is marketed as American fries sauce. It's basically mayonaise with dill and onions, so you can probably easily make your own, though negating the point of fast food.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Speaking of non-American stuff branded as American, I went to a place called American Style in Iceland & ate a hamburger with shrimp on it :discourse:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

From the very real “MCennedy” family food conglomerate.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Always get a kick out of "American" things abroad. Walked into a convenience store with some of my cousins during a night of drinking, and I found the cookie section. Among all of the other Polish-branded cookies, I found the "American-style" ones between the others on the shelf.

They were just chocolate-chip cookies.

Rinkles posted:

(internet photo)

There's a British shop near my parents' house, and I found a big bottle of curry dipping sauce there. I'm not sure if it's quite right, though, since it's been a while since I've had it. Still, I'll have to go back and get some more since they have others in that store.

AlexanderCA posted:

Funnily enough this stuff is marketed as American fries sauce. It's basically mayonaise with dill and onions, so you can probably easily make your own, though negating the point of fast food.

Yeah, it seems like it's this close to tartar sauce, just without relish and more dill.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mokotow posted:

Pizza Americaine looks authentically lovely

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Once when I was in Calais I ordered a kebab baguette thing from a kebab shop which had fries in it. It was called the "Americain", which I found shockingly accurate.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Some chains seem to be identical everywhere, e.g. five guys is always the same

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

pointsofdata posted:

Pizza Americaine looks authentically lovely

I was going to say that the bagel and baked potato look just awful, devoid of any colour, but yeah, that pizza has somehow outdone any frozen store-bought pizza I've ever had.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Mokotow posted:

Lidl sells these during their region-specific specials. The european focused sales usually have one or two decent things available but the "american" stuff is just tragic.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Churro hut spotted in Warsaw today. I think deep fried dough dipped in nutella makes more sense in weather like this, than 40C dry heat of Madrid.

On the other hand, the pairing with Kołacz, which is, generally, a slav type of cake your grandma serves with tea, is a bit bizzare to me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mokotow posted:

As an American I find this kind of fake American stuff amazing on so many levels.

:discourse: "American fast food is poo poo and their food culture is an atomic waste dump. We need to counterfeit it immediately, preferably with meat that looks like roadkill from the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone."
:frogbon: "Excuse me, may I put a la texane on the can if it's actually made from Dutch veterinary school waste?"

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna eat some of herr doktor Oetker's real American German pineapple pizza tonight.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Big Americans?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

pointsofdata posted:

Some chains seem to be identical everywhere, e.g. five guys is always the same

I took a cousin of mine who lives near London to a Five Guys that had just opened up in Watford. Aside from the accents and the fact that the chalkboard that mentions the origin of today's potatoes said they came from a place that ended with, "...shire, UK", it really was almost exactly the same.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is the music in the kitchen area always that loud? Whenever I’m at the one in Oberhausen in Germany, I’m impressed the staff is able to work there for more than 15 minutes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think Europeans trying to sell American food is adorable. :3:

They do a hilarious job of it though but it's nice to see what they think of our culture.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AlexanderCA posted:

probably cause i'm not much of a cook, but i've had no success trying to replicate the taste

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I think Europeans trying to sell American food is adorable. :3:

They do a hilarious job of it though but it's nice to see what they think of our culture.

A million years ago (OK, 1971) there was a food stand on the street outside of Jelmoli (a depertment store - still there!) in Zurich that had "American Fried Chicken."

It was chicken wrapped in some kind of dough and deep-fried. The process turned the dough into armor plate.

It made no sense, because there was a Movenpick chain called the Grüt-Farm that made fairly decent fried chicken.

I am requesting a trip report on that Dr. Oetker pizza. My experience with frozen pizza in Switzerland is that it sucks major rear end (And yes, pizza in Italy (and southern France) is awesome and yet an entirely different species than American).

Then again, Aldi (in the US) sells frozen pizza that is presumably made in Germany, and most of 'em ain't bad.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
It was fine to me, but I eat a lot of frozen pizza (once or twice a week generally) and have little standards when it comes to food in general.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Speaking of European representation of non-European food, any Brits remember Jumbucks? Absolutely amazing Australian jaffle style pies, served with incredible chips. They had one at Bournemouth uni, and I know there was one in Shepherds Bush across from Westfield. I think they all shut as rents increased. Utterly tragic and I'm genuinely a bit sad thinking about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Had a chance to try the Swedish Max in Warsaw today. It fits very well into the “slightly above McD” category, and was full of people, too, which, in a city so full of fast food choices, is impressive for a new business. They have ordering terminals and full burg customization. Also wide range of stuff - many burgs, including halloumi and alt meat.

Meat and veggies super fresh, buns felt like supermarket foil bread though. It also felt super salty, so forget double patties. I had the Umami burger double (mayo, bacon, red onion) and crispy chicken by thread recommendation. The chicken was great though again too salty and spicy.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 18, 2020

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

As my friend noted when I posted this in a chat group: "How to insult multiple cultures with one product."
Tasted ok though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah the kebab pizza is a thing in Germany and Poland, and it’s rather innocuous. Turkish pizza (not the Lahmacun) is another thing, as instead of kebab meat it comes with sucuk - a super sweet, pepper and cumin sausage.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Kebab pizza is very much a thing in Finland as well, seeing as how most fast food restaurants are pizza/kebab multipurpose places run by middle eastern immigrants.

Quality varies wildly as you might expect.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The thing that gets me is the german chain selling a italian product with turkish toppings in a dutch located store as a greek style product. We all know how well turks and greeks get along.

I loving love that poo poo.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

france was an extremely hosed up place

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

6 EUR for that, jesus.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
German Doner Kebab, the chain, is pretty good, basically a collection of ways to serve combinations of beef and chicken. One of the healthier options with all the salad. My main issue is you can order cheesy fries and it's randomly either got nacho cheese (good) or grated.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mokotow posted:

6 EUR for that, jesus.
Based on the size of the coke, that's a 20kg/40lbs "taco". Seems like a pretty good deal.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of non-American stuff branded as American, I went to a place called American Style in Iceland & ate a hamburger with shrimp on it :discourse:

Icelandic cool ranch Doritos are called cool American

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AlexanderCA posted:

We all know how well turks and greeks get along.

There was a small row a couple of years ago where a Norwegian or Swedish food producer sold a yogurt labelled "Turkish Yogurt" with a bearded guy in a weird costume on it. Turns out he was very Greek and wearing a very Greek national dress of some sorts. He found out about this and was not happy and I think tried to sue or at least get the company to stop using his image on the yogurt. Company essentially said gently caress that, were not taken to court (as far as I am aware) and continued (continues?) using his image to sell Turkish yogurt.

Slightly related I feel like Turkish immigrants sort of posing as Italians, is a time honored tradition.

E: As for that pizza they basically have kebabs in Greece (and in the Levant, Iran, the Caucasus, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and so on and so on) as well. It's not a uniquely Turkish thing or invention it's so basic and goes back so much that any one country claiming it is really silly.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 19, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Randarkman posted:

Slightly related I feel like Turkish immigrants sort of posing as Italians, is a time honored tradition.

Greek immigrants to the US opening pizza restaurants was also a big thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_pizza

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
When I studied in Munich beyond the Durum Doner kicking rear end, all the "7-11" style shops that sold 2 euro giant rear end sausages were very very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Who needs a Big Mac when in Ireland you can visit Supermac's for a Mighty Mac.

But maybe you're not in the mood for a burger. Well then, how about a bucket of sausages?