Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Who needs a Big Mac when in Ireland you can visit Supermac's for a Mighty Mac.

But maybe you're not in the mood for a burger. Well then, how about a bucket of sausages?

Lmao at the bucket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://twitter.com/alan_maguire/status/1067858495121342468

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Supermacs is doing enough good crazy things to warrant its own thread.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's a fun lawsuit with supermax and McDonald's

quote:

Galway-based fast food chain Supermac’s has won its battle to force burger giant McDonald’s to relinquish its “big mac” trademark in Europe.

In a judgment from the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO), it was found that McDonald’s had not proven genuine use of the contested trademark as a burger or a restaurant name.

EU patent office: "big macs? Never heard of 'em"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

pointsofdata posted:

There's a fun lawsuit with supermax and McDonald's

EU patent office: "big macs? Never heard of 'em"
If there's one thing the EU hates it's people not respecting their authority, in this case by not being thorough enough in supplying documentation. Reality doesn't matter, only bureaucracy.

e: They cited wikipedia in court.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 23, 2020

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
As an American, my first and thus far only trip to Europe was to Hamburg a few years ago.

Passing through the Hauptbahnhof every day the huge bakery was loving incredible for this motherfucker with a pasty sweet tooth.

I feel like I'm moderately well car and plane traveled in the US, but have never come across such a massive variety and quantity of pastries in a single location.

My knee-jerk guess is that being in the train station, they may not even have been great by German standards, but as far as I was concerned, everything I tried was either on par or better than any good-to-great bakeries I've eaten at here. And the quantity surely meant that it sold through and I'm guessing similar amounts in other train stations? Furthermore, they have to be long-standing staples of stations dating back to their inceptions so most Germans must take them completely for granted?

My hats off and my belly hangs out to you, Germany.

Japanese eye
Jun 27, 2018

by Reene
Le big mac

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Berlin had the tastiest 2.5 Euro doner kebabs ever. Massive portions and stacked with fries.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I would like to bring everyone's attention to my other discovery in Hungary: Kürtőskalács, aka. the Hungarian chimney cake (or chimney cone).

You wrap dough around a slightly-tilted cylinder on a spit, brush with butter, sugar, and possibly other flavourings like cinnamon, and you roast them over a fire.

You could eat them as is, but the best way is to stuff ice cream and other toppings into them.

I met a friend on Bloor St. in Toronto a week ago, and had forgotten how much I loved them, so I introduced her to them at Eva's Original Chimneys. They have multiple combos now that include Nutella, coconut, apple crumble, s'mores, etc. Even the ones in Budapest I had were similar in variety. The Facebook page for the main shop I went to has tons of pictures. Here's a basic filled one:

Here's the "unicorn" one I had on my last night there. Tasted exactly like it looked, but good:

Word of warning: you eat them like an ice cream cone, but digging the ice cream from inside is annoying without a spoon, so get one if you can because they don't crumble like ice cream cones do.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

HAHAHAHAHA That bucket is supposedly 100 sausages is approximately AU$28

quote:

• Get a Bucket of Wedges for €8.95
• Bucket of Cocktail Sausages for €16.95 (approx 100 in a Bucket)
• Bucket of Nuggets for €14.95 (Approx 42 Nuggets in a Bucket)
• Bucket of Chicken Tenders for €23.95 (Approx 22 Chicken Tenders in a Bucket)

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 26, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

I would like to bring everyone's attention to my other discovery in Hungary: Kürtőskalács, aka. the Hungarian chimney cake (or chimney cone).

You wrap dough around a slightly-tilted cylinder on a spit, brush with butter, sugar, and possibly other flavourings like cinnamon, and you roast them over a fire.

You could eat them as is, but the best way is to stuff ice cream and other toppings into them.

I met a friend on Bloor St. in Toronto a week ago, and had forgotten how much I loved them, so I introduced her to them at Eva's Original Chimneys. They have multiple combos now that include Nutella, coconut, apple crumble, s'mores, etc. Even the ones in Budapest I had were similar in variety. The Facebook page for the main shop I went to has tons of pictures. Here's a basic filled one:

Here's the "unicorn" one I had on my last night there. Tasted exactly like it looked, but good:

Word of warning: you eat them like an ice cream cone, but digging the ice cream from inside is annoying without a spoon, so get one if you can because they don't crumble like ice cream cones do.

They’re popping up all over Warsaw, and we’ve never had them in Poland before. They also use the name “kołacz” which is in my mind smth completely different but GIS seems to disagree :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
these traditionally polish, or imported from somewhere?

whipped cream-filled waffle tubes

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mokotow posted:

They’re popping up all over Warsaw, and we’ve never had them in Poland before. They also use the name “kołacz” which is in my mind smth completely different but GIS seems to disagree :shrug:

You're probably thinking of Kołaczki, which are these:

Google says that "kołacz" is basically any round dough with filling, and it makes sense that "kolaczki" is the diminutive version of that.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Those tube pastry things are pretty bad IME, definitely better fast food sweet things available.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

these traditionally polish, or imported from somewhere?

whipped cream-filled waffle tubes

I mean, I always thought they’re Polish, but looks like every country east of Vistula has them. Also, apparently they’re called torpedoes?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_dessert

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I found this bad boy on a shopping run recently. Hot dogs! Burgers! Zapiekanka! Vegan options! This place has everything, even if I have no idea what the building is actually supposed to be.

They also sell Oscypek, a type of cheese made in the Polish mountains by shepherds. Oscypek was pushed for a while as fast food (you can grill it or eat it cold) and sold from stalls and booths all over the city, but it hasn’t caught on, as no sane person will snack on a 250 gram slab of cheese on their commute. Still, they sell it here and it is versatile, working great as a pizza topping or with a side serving of cranberry jam.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mokotow posted:

I found this bad boy on a shopping run recently. Hot dogs! Burgers! Zapiekanka! Vegan options! This place has everything, even if I have no idea what the building is actually supposed to be.

They also sell Oscypek, a type of cheese made in the Polish mountains by shepherds. Oscypek was pushed for a while as fast food (you can grill it or eat it cold) and sold from stalls and booths all over the city, but it hasn’t caught on, as no sane person will snack on a 250 gram slab of cheese on their commute. Still, they sell it here and it is versatile, working great as a pizza topping or with a side serving of cranberry jam.

Holy poo poo, I remember visiting Zakopane almost 20 years ago and constantly seeing that cheese. Every time I saw it, I kept thinking they were buns of some kind, because they had the exact same brown sheen that my mom's baked buns had.

I don't think I tried it because travelling with my parents then and getting them to spend more than the absolute barest minimum of money on something was like trying to draw blood from a stone.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait, so its just a hunk of cheese? Not even in a bun or anything?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wait, so its just a hunk of cheese? Not even in a bun or anything?

yeah. though the smoking process gives it a hard protective layer, and the whole thing's a bit rubbery, so it's not at all like biting into a big piece of regular cheese. also the sheep milk gives it a characteristic taste.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Amsterdam

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 7, 2020

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Here's some finnish 'pizza' from our first and biggest franchise chain Kotipizza:

Lankku 'Board' Pizza:

Paper thin base, with cheddar sauce (i.e not cheese), nothing tomato-based.
Topped with Chicken, Feta-cheese, Avocado and Rucola.

Oh and chili-mayo.

Monster pizza:

This ones called 'Texas'

Regular pizza with some extra dough on top.
It got Ham, Bacon, Kebab, Pepperoni and Salami as ingredients.

It comes with a dip to use with those extra pieces of dough on top.

Then there's Salad Pizzas, or Kotzones:

This one need knife and fork to eat with.

It's a regular pizza folded over with some mixed salad added.
This one has Salami and blue cheese as ingredients.

Last, they do sell regular pizzas:

Berlusconi has high fiber dough and comes with Smoked reindeer, Red onions and Chanterelle mushrooms.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The mayo on pizza thing in Europe is something the nordics and Scandinavians seem to like. Many pizza chefs in Poland were trained in Sweden in the 90s and they brought back the Gud Fadern pizza (now, sadly, going out of style), which has shrimp, ham, onions, mushrooms and mayo slathered on top. I fuckin love it.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mokotow posted:

The mayo on pizza thing in Europe is something the nordics and Scandinavians seem to like. Many pizza chefs in Poland were trained in Sweden in the 90s and they brought back the Gud Fadern pizza (now, sadly, going out of style), which has shrimp, ham, onions, mushrooms and mayo slathered on top. I fuckin love it.

This pizza violates the Geneva convention

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mayo on pizza makes no sense to me, but apparently a lot of people have the same reaction to fries with mayo, so i won't judge

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mokotow posted:

Got to be one of the worst pizzas I've ever seen.

When I was at school the local kebab place did pizzas, we would often get their doner pizza, probably the greasiest thing the human stomach can handle. Tasted great though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Rinkles posted:

mayo on pizza makes no sense to me, but apparently a lot of people have the same reaction to fries with mayo, so i won't judge

As long as that mayo is mixed with Dijon, we're cool.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mokotow posted:

This isn't a pizza, it's a crime before man and God.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Yeah. Who puts shrimps on their pizza?

Remove Shrimp and and add some Kebab and Jalapenos on it and it would be delicious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Reading this thread is making me hungry and wanting to move to Berlin. Good news since I might be able to get German citizenship lol

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Should be a pentagram drawn on that pizza in mayonnaise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They put banana on pizza in sweden

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Jose posted:

Those loving monsters they better stay out of here with that

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
It's a matter of equality. If pineapple is allowed on pizza, then banana is as well.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pineapple is tart, fibrous and toothsome.

Banana has none of these qualities and Scandinavians are just terminally bored pizza contrarians.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Dance Officer posted:

It's a matter of equality. If pineapple is allowed on pizza, then banana is as well.

https://i.imgur.com/pWo7JOe.mp4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rinkles posted:

At my Culver's they actually have a mayo dispenser like a ketchup dispenser. I can only imagine it's mostly used for fries. My store is in Wisconsin, naturally.

Mayo with fries isn't a new thing though. I've heard of other parts of the US mixing mayo and ketchup and calling it "fry sauce." I haven't heard that term here before though.

I went last month and took a pic of it because I thought it was funny. Bad pic because I didn't want to look like a goober.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jose posted:

Sweden, which has been proven many many times in many threads on SA, has the worst pizza in the entire world. Just the most insane grossest poo poo. It's truly mind boggling.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The Curse of the Flying Jacob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sweden, which has been proven many many times in many threads on SA, has the worst pizza in the entire world. Just the most insane grossest poo poo. It's truly mind boggling.

Italy is provably the worst. Sweden is not in the same league of badness.