Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

so as a first order approximation

TOS good 79 episodes
TAS good 22 episodes
TNG good 178 episodes
DS9 good 176 episodes
VOY bad 172 episodes
ENT bad 92 episodes
DIS bad 29 episodes

so

79+22+178+176
79+22+178+176+172+92+29

all multiplied by 100 gives

61% to 2.s.f

so star trek is ≈ 61% good. obviously this approach is rough hewn. i would argue that the tv shows are the main "stuff" of the franchise, but the movies are a p. big deal. how do we weight those in? we are nowhere near any kind of episode by episode granularity but obviously TNG s01 is is kinda sketchy. is this balanced out by ENT s04 being good (i can only recall seeing the augments episode which i thought was fun, spiner gives good smug prick)? is it fair to weight TAS the same as the other seasons?

at first glance this number seems way too high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well for one TNG and DS9 did not have 178/176 good episodes, they had about half of that. TOS is only good if you watched it when you were a little kid, it's nearly unwatchable now.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i find TOS charming and humanistic. i do not get hung up on the ropey special effects and the fact that whoever choreographed the fight scenes had never seen human movement let alone combat. the acting is often rather good and the main trio a delight. some of the attitudes to certain things have aged

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway the correct answer is, counting the films, 35% of Star Trek is good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A staggeringly high percentage given that Star Wars is, generously, 9% good.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
TOS is good because it's so old and janky it's lovely. I enjoy watching it even now.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If even a single episode of star trek is good it's better than whatever the gently caress we have now

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Thread stuck for 24 hours so everyone can stop in and leave their thoughts

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You think Star Wars fans hate their IP, buddy you have no idea

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

zoux posted:

Well for one TNG and DS9 did not have 178/176 good episodes, they had about half of that. TOS is only good if you watched it when you were a little kid, it's nearly unwatchable now.

this seems low for ds9. there is at least one season's worth of terrible bullshit spread throughout TOS

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Overall Star Trek is pretty good. 61% sounds about right.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is there a Star Trek equivalent of the Star Wars Holiday Special?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ruddiger posted:

The entirety of Voyager

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/11:59_(episode)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am going to make a shameful confession: i quite liked this episode. obviously henry is acting like a dick but i felt legit tension as to the fate of the bookstore

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sub Rosa gets a lot of hate but for my money the worst TNG episode is The Naked Now. I know Code of Honor is probably more obvious but really, your first post-pilot episode and you're re-doing a TOS episode?

Data is somehow affected? And can gently caress?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

zoux posted:

...is somehow affected? And can gently caress?

gene's vision

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Data's early characterization is a disaster

https://i.imgur.com/xfElA3M.mp4

Basically for any rewatch start both DS9 and TNG on season 3 (even though iirc TNG s3 opens with the space rape of Troi episode, so maybe skip that one. )

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Season 2 of tng is good overall

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Clip. Show. Finale.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

using highly advanced statistical techniques i have deduced that we only need to sample 62 episodes to get a "eh, near enough" ballpark figure of how many percent good star trek was. i have included the movies because it is easier to correlate a random number to the "released in all" number off of memory alpha and i am very slack. this seems doable. so, sample 1/62

517 DS9, Episode 6x20 "His Way"-

was it good? it is the one where odo and kira finally hook up. i remember thinking it was quite sweet at the time but maybe odo oppressing kira's people all those years and then also genociding the crew's descendants in order to get with her renders it kinda creeptown?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'd say probably about 40% good/60% bad. But that's still hundreds of hours of GOOD Star Trek. Which seems too high.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Basically for any rewatch start both DS9 and TNG on season 3 (even though iirc TNG s3 opens with the space rape of Troi episode, so maybe skip that one. )

I liked the first two seasons of DS9 when I watched it for the first time last year, why do you think they should be skipped?

The only thing I didn’t like about DS9 was that there were too many evil doppelgänger episodes (even tho the Tom Riker episode owns bones), and the mirror world episodes are extremely skippable (except the Nog episode, which also owns bones).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

Data's way more fun in the first two seasons than in the stuffy last two seasons.

Also, The Child is the opener to the second season. Third season opens with Wesley's accidentally-sentient nanites.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

reignofevil posted:

TOS is good because it's so old and janky it's lovely. I enjoy watching it even now.

We just watched "The Empath" tonight. For a season 3 TOS episode shot with virtually zero budget, 90% on a literally empty set with a few props and a barebones plot that makes very little sense, it's still a good episode.

There's something ineffable about TOS that made it succeed and hit home so well for so many people. Entertainment styles have changed and so has the culture, but then that doesn't make classics in other forms go away (music, etc.) Not many today appreciate Bach either, but that's not due to his music being out of date, it's a defect in those who won't appreciate it, and I'd argue the same goes for TOS.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Season 6 does have Fistful of Datas though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

TOS IS GREAT!!!!

TAS IS ALSO GREAT!!!!!

also the TOS movies are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
TAS is good and also like half the length of a standard Star Trek episode so it's novel as well because of how quickly the story moves along.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TAS is ....not good

Herculoids rear end lookin animation

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've been watching Voyager and just skipping every episode rated below 7 on IMDB. I've skipped like half the show, but on the other hand, it's been pretty good!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

TAS is ....not good

Herculoids rear end lookin animation

tas is barely animated but the storytelling is great

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Isn't there one with the Judeo Christian Devil

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yes and he's cool and friend

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

ruddiger posted:

Spock's Brain is the correct answer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I liked Voyager, even though I acknowledge that pretty much the entire rest of the fandom hates it for good reasons.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

nobody offered a dissenting opinion on DS9, Episode 6x20 "His Way" so i am going with my recollection that it was good. so with a sample size of one 100% of star trek is actually good. i refine this further by drawing a 2nd random sample 718 ENT, Episode 4x14 "The Aenar".

i do not believe i have ever seen this one. anybody watched it? is it good

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The Aenar more like the Not Gonna Watch That Todaynar

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

oh but seriously I posted:

nobody offered a dissenting opinion on DS9, Episode 6x20 "His Way" so i am going with my recollection that it was good. so with a sample size of one 100% of star trek is actually good. i refine this further by drawing a 2nd random sample 718 ENT, Episode 4x14 "The Aenar".

i do not believe i have ever seen this one. anybody watched it? is it good

yea, the aenar is a pretty good one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oh but seriously I posted:

nobody offered a dissenting opinion on DS9, Episode 6x20 "His Way" so i am going with my recollection that it was good.

Vic Rules, and Vic Eps Rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
has anyone said 0% yet, cause it's 0%