Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Gaze upon the ruins of Alefgard Castle, shattered and empty.

Centuries ago the Dragonlord appeared, a powerful being who united the monsters, kidnapped the Princess, and caused chaos throughout the kingdom. Until finally a hero rose up, descendant of Erdrick, to smite the Dragonlord, rescue the Princess, and return peace to the land.

That... didn't happen. Instead the world was shattered, every land set adrift to fend for themselves, and Alefgard Castle, heart of the realm, was abandoned. Even worse, with the world shattered mankind lost their ability to Build. Not their motivation, not the knowledge. Mankind simply can no longer process raw materials into new creations... until now. Rubiss, the creator of Alefgard, has sent forth his new hero, the Legendary Builder, a new descendant of Erdrick, who will attempt to push back the darkness and build up both the land and the hearts of the people, even as the Dragonlord sends wave after wave of his monster minions to destroy what little remains.

Welcome to Dragon Quest Builders Mafia. This is a soldiers style game... sort of. It should play similarly to a soldiers game except the other thread has been replaced with something else that I'll explain down the post a bit. This is an experimental set up. I always try for balance but sometimes you just can't be sure until you see how things play out.

Along with sign ups please join discord here. All mod communication will occur through discord. Please confirm when you have joined the server so I can add you to the pregame shitpost channel.

This game has a role roughly analogous to the confirmed town leader in a soldiers game. Please PM me privately, either in discord or here when you sign up, indicating if you are willing to be that role. Do NOT post your willingness publicly. Any such public opt in/outs will be ignored by me and should be ignored by other players.

Mafia Rules:
Standard SA mafia rules apply. My general rule is don't be lovely on purpose. This is a game about arguing and sometimes things get heated and people lose their cool. Don't try to make people feel lovely.
Don't edit your posts.
Don't talk after you are dead, except for a meaningless ghost post during twilight. There will be a deaddoc/observer doc. Chat with those guys.1
Twilight is open: from hammer until I post a flip or lock the thread you may continue to discuss the game, except for whoever was hammered.
Do not fake day actions
Do not post after a day action until it is resolved if you used the day action or are it's target
Don't talk about the game outside the thread until it's over
Do not directly quote role PMs. Like any soldiers game, do not post exact numbers for your stats and abilities
There is no alignment switching in this game
Other rules I'm probably forgetting

1. alli again
  2. Amnistar
  3. Anomalous Amalgam
  4. b-minus1
  5. Bifauxnen
  6. CCKeane
  7. charms
  8. Dragonatrix
  9. Hunt11
  10. Iron Chef Ramen
  11. Jen X
  12. King Burgundy
  13. Leith Maclaine
  14. Lux Animus
  15. MegaZeroX
  16. Monathin
  17. Mr. Steak
  18. PMush Perfect
  19. Ruggan
  20. Social Studies 3rd Period
  21. SolusLunes

Overview of the game in the next post. I don't anticipate this starting before Monday 2/10, if we have the signups and I'm ready before hand I'll poll discord about an early open. I won't open the game early without checking with those who have signed up.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Part 2 - Builders style game rules

A builders game is a mafia game derived from soldiers. The town team is captained by the Legendary Builder. The Builder is confirmed town and night kill immune... once he is revealed. The Builder starts the game incognito. At any time as a day action the Builder may reveal themselves, at which point they will be confirmed in their role. If the Builder would be voted out or nightkilled while incognito, they are instead revealed. The Builder will be given the opportunity pregame to address the thread anonymously.

This game ends in a scum victory when the Builder is killed during a siege or when scum form enough of a majority the revealed Builder can be voted out. The Builder may be killed during a siege without having been revealed.
This game ends in a town victory when they create the Rainbow drop and assault the Dragonlord, or when scum are completely wiped out.
This game is divided into twoish phases, like a standard mafia game.

Day phase:

The thread opens during the day phase and play continues as a typical game of mafia, attempting to vote out scum players.
Also by the end of each day phase, each player also must submit their day orders. Each day all players commit themselves to building up the castle and preparing for the nights siege. This will be expanded upon in the appropriate section.
Scum players also commit themselves to building projects, which they either slow down just by existing, or actively sabotage.
Also during the day the Builder, hidden or revealed, will decide who marches out at night to withstand the monster attack.

Night phase:

Night phase is quite a bit different and will look a lot like a soldiers game, split into precombat and combat/night phases. 5 players from the thread go forth to drive back the Dragonlord's minions. Those in battle will use their combat actions to attack and drive back the enemy, while the enemy minions damage them in return. Scum may instead undermine the town defenders in a variety of ways. Meanwhile those not in the siege may submit regular night actions.

Precombat:
Those players selected by the Builder prepare for the siege.

A combat layout will be posted, showing where everyone is and what minions the Dragonlord has sent. A bestiary listing observed enemy actions will be posted and updated after each battle.

All players may submit a precombat action during this phase, assuming they have one. Some precombat actions may require the player to be nominated for our left out of combat. Precombat will be a hopefully short phase with a flexible deadline.

As in twilight threads remain open for discussion.

Siege:
Threads are closed, this is real night.

Any changes to the combat map will be posted, based on any precombat abilities used.
Those in combat will submit their combat actions. Players not in combat may submit night actions now.
After all actions are submitted, combat damage and results are resolved.

Where this differs from a soldiers game: There is only one battlefield, it is part of the construction town does during the day (did you forget about that? it'll be the next section), as such the conditions on the battlefield will change throughout the day.

A siege is neither won nor lost, it is survived. Monsters have lower hp than players and can be killed in a single siege. Monsters who survive the siege cause property damage on the way out and degrade your construction. Monsters who escape unscathed will do serious damage on their way out the door: after all, nobody tried to stop them.

Players not in combat submit a regular night action. Night actions from those not in combat may not target those in combat unless specifically allowed. This includes the night kill.

On Building:
He may be in hiding but the Builder has come and in doing so he has inspired you. You may not be able to create building materials out of raw ones like he can, but you can stack blocks together!

When each day opens the current construction projects available will be posted. By the end of each day every player will submit the project they want to work on, anonymously. When the thread moves to precombat construction results will be announced, giving the updated progress report and listing any completed projects and their benefits. Scum also submit a construction choice, but they either do nothing to aid the project or actively harm it. They may not build.

Each project will include a progress percentage. Not all projects are created equally, some will require more commitment to reach the same progress level as another easier project.

There are five construction categories, and each category has one project of it's type running at any given time.
The categories are:
Masonry/stone working: Masonry projects build up the walls and defenses of the town, as well as advancing heavy weaponry. Successful projects may reduce damage from sieges or increase the attack power of melee weaponry users.
Carpentry: Carpentry projects improve the interior of the town, making peoples homes and daily lives better, as well as being tied to ranged weaponry. Successful projects may improve night actions and provide barricades that can protect an individual construction from damage, or strengthen ranged attacks
Metal working/tinkering: Tinkering projects provide active defenses to the town, and advance heavy armor. Successful projects may deal automatic precombat damage to attackers or reduce damage taken by heavy armor wearers.
Weaving/Medicinal: Projects from this category provide healing options within the town, strengthen player healing, and reduce damage taken by light armor wearers.
Soothseeing: Seer projects upgrade the Builder and no one else. Enough successful projects may result in something pretty amazing. Seer projects do not fork.

Each player has aptitudes for each project type, which begin as vague as possible. Working on a specific categories project will result in the player getting their actual numerical stat for that project. Keep in mind that your initial aptitude may not be very accurate.

After a project is finished, any benefits it applies will be applied beginning with precombat unless otherwise noted. At the start of the next game day that category will have two potential projects that will boost different things. If a player selects that category for their building, they also select which project they wish to work on. Example: At the end of d2, the current Masonry project finished. D3 opens with two masonry projects visible: Stone Castle Walls or Stone Swords. Any player who picks masonry also picks to work on walls or swords. 5 players choose to work on masonry today, 3 choosing to work on the walls and 2 who want to work on the swords. All 5 players are assigned to the Masonry Project: Stone Castle Walls and the project Stone Swords is left until the next time a masonry project is selected.

Categories may become specialized by selecting a similar bonus three times, after which further bonuses of that type will be stronger and the other upgrade path will be weakened until it is selected twice in a row. Example: Selecting to strengthen the walls of the castle three times in a row in Masonry will result in increased bonuses to wall upgrades going forward, but heavy weapon upgrades becoming weaker.

Lots of information in this game is in number form. Do not share any exact numbers from any mod communication. Use generalities and adjectives.

Combat:
The Builder selects 5 players to enter combat at the end of day, after any flips. If the Builder is revealed he MUST fight in combat, in the center row of the front column. Once the Dragonlord knows who the Builder is, if he is anyone but in the center of combat the center of combat will simply move to where he is.

Combat takes place in two rows (front and back row of combat) and 5 columns. The monsters use the same formation.

The Builder, assuming he is not in combat, selects a player to enter combat in front and center. After that he assigns the rest of the players, where each player has to be adjacent to at least one other player, and at least one player must be in each row (this means at least one front and back row fighter). Players attack by selecting a valid row and column for their selected attack actions. Front row fighters may only attack front row monsters with melee attacks. They may only attack back row monsters with ranged attacks. Back row players may only used ranged attacks, and only against the enemy front row.

Scum have their own targeting rules. It doesn't involve attacking the monsters and hopefully you can guess from there.

This is my first game of this style and my first huge post for a game of this style. It is probably missing things or unclear. I'm going to reserve one more spot for questions asked before the game opens.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 16, 2020

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Monsters operate as follows in combat. Each monster family has a prefered targetting mode and three potential behaviors, melee, ranged, and All Out, each of which is assigned a percentage likelyhood the monster will attempt to use that behavior. Monster may not follow their usual preference. Players receive partial bestiary entries based on the monsters actual final actions.

Front row monsters may end up targetting the front or back row of players, depending on their targetting mode. Back row monsters will only ever attack front row players. If a monster uses ranged behavior to attack melee range, or vis versa, it attacks after damage from regular attacks has been assigned. If the monster dies before it attacks it deals half damage.

If a monster uses All Out behavior, it will use the attack list from whichever behavior is appropriate to it's target, and deal 50% bonus damage. However the monster also takes 50% extra damage and attacks last. If the monster dies of damage before it attacks it deals regular damage. Any monster that attacks All Out and successfully deals damage to a player deals no damage to Building Projects after combat.

Slime:
Flavor: Ahh, look at it! It's so cute. And it's about as deadly as it looks.
Health: 20
Targeting mode: charge straight ahead
Melee behavior: 80% Deal minor damage to one target. Look at that stupid grin. He knows he sucks.
Ranged behavior: ?% ???
All out attack: 0%
Passive: Barely a solid - deals 50% damage to structures.

Hammerhood:
Flavor: It's knee high, it's covered in hair, and if you aren't careful it's going to kneecap you with a hammer as big as your head
Health: 30
Melee behavior: 55% Deal minor+ damage to one target. Right to the knees. If you're lucky you'll walk again.
Ranged behavior: 20% Deal minor damage to one target and all adjacent targets. Have you ever seen a hammer as big as a man tossed like a boomerang? Once you have you will sincerely pray you never do again.
All out attack: 25%
Passive: Big ol' Hammer - Deals 50% increased damage to structures.

Ghost:
Flavor: A clown in life, the Ghost loves nothing so much as sneaking up behind you, startling you... then lighting you on fire.
Health: 25
Targeting mode: From the Flank
Melee Behavior: 0% Deal moderate+ damage to one target.
Ranged behavior: 90% Deal moderate damage to one target. He throws a whole lot of fire, but by the time it travels it's only most of a lot of fire.
All out attack: 10%
Passive: Invisible Jerk - Does not appear on the precombat map.

Orc:
Flavor: Twice your height with a spear that's even longer, you really don't want to get on his bad side... well, they're all bad sides really.
Health: 45
Targeting mode: I'm a horsie
Melee Behavior: ???
Ranged Behavior: ???
All out attack: ???
Passive: Big Poking Stick: May used melee attacks as ranged attacks without penalty.

Chimera:
Flavor: Exactly unlike the Hunter Mech is the Chimera, nature gone absolutely batshit insane. A vulture's head and wings on what appears to be a giant leeches body. Also he breathes ice when he doesn't breath fire.
Health: 25
Targeting mode: From the Flank
Melee Behavior: ???
Ranged Behavior: ???
All out attack: ???
Passive: Crime against Man and God - This thing is so drat ugly that ranged attacks have a 50% change to redirect to a different ranged target, if one is available. Redirections occur one at a time, and if the target dies further ranged attacks will strike the Chimera

Skeleton
Flavor: Exactly what it says on the tin. He's got a sword and he doesn't like you.
Health: 45
Targeting mode: ???
Melee Behavior: 70% - His sword is pitted, dull, rusty, and still very painful. Plus tetanus. Deal moderate damage now, and deals minor unblockable damage the next night if the target is in combat again. Does not apply to builder.
Ranged Behavior: 20%
All Out Attack: 10%
Passive: Has a shield, also is made of death - takes 5 less damage from melee attacks. Even if defeated still deals a small amount of progress damage.

Hunter Mech
Flavor: A miracle of nature, this monster evolved to look and act exactly like a robot. Also goes on murderous rampages like a robot
Health: 50
melee behavior: 70% - Is that... a sword for an arm? Nature you beautiful rear end in a top hat. Target and one random other melee player takes moderate damage damage.
ranged behavior: 20% ???
All Out Attack:10%
Passive: Robocide - explodes on death, yet another miracle of mother nature. Deals a very minor amount of damage to everyone and everything in combat, ignoring armor and all other protections.

Green Dragon
Flavor: He's big, mean, green, angry... I think you see what I'm implying here. Also he breathes fire. (that's right it's Trogdor)
Health: 60
Targeting mode: clergy by day
melee behavior: 50% Rip! Moderate+ damage
ranged behavior: 30% Tear! Moderate damage
All Out Attack: 20%
Passive: Angry - uses his targeting mode twice to select two different targets.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 2, 2020

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
u know im in for this

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

I will play this game

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Ok

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
I'm in

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

In to lurk like a motherfucker

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

OK, I'm in. I'll make all of the right calls don't you worry

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
I'm game!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Cowards, I enter this game.

Fear!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sounds fun - I’ll play

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it could be fun so I am in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This seems slightly easier to get into than a normal Soldiers game. Count me in.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think I've played a normal Soldiers game like once ever??

So gently caress it, I'm in.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is disgustingly overambitious and I am absolutely going to join any game as strange as mine

Lemme in

Jen X fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 6, 2020

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

In.

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!
holy heck, this sounds ambitious. in.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Playing through DQB2 right now.

Let's do this.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I will play this game

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Four spots left!

Join discord if you haven't already you jerks valued players!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I am here to ruin this, and all other mafia games.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Only three spots left, I'm getting excited.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

spiritualunite.com posted:

Seeing the number 19 now and then carries an important message for you. It is a virtuous number and brings good news for you, so don't be confused by all the people saying that it is a bad omen. Number 19 possesses the combined vibrations of two numbers: 1 and 9.

:cosmic2day:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bifauxnen posted:

In to lurk like a motherfucker

This. I'll try not to be the bottom poster. But no promises! :)

charms
Oct 14, 2012

I'm ready to build.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Hey that's a full game!

:siren: Hunt11 and KB, I need you to join discord still!
If you haven't opted in or out of being the Builder, do so in your confessional
:siren:

I am still on track to starting this game up on Monday, probably in the late afternoon PST. Deadlines will probably also be around that time, say, 8PM PST. If this is incredibly awful for you let me know.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Discord and the thread are getting locked down while pregame stuff happens. Everything will open back up Monday when the game starts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ninja post!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tantegel Moor, all that remains of the beautiful grassy plains that once surrounded the Castle.

And the Castle itself, ruined and overgrown.

This must not continue. The Dragonlord comes, and you must have a fortress when he does. You must Build your fortress to face him.

It is now Day 1.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

(The building stuff for D1 will go live later tonight or early tomorrow, I need a break. Role PMs are out and everyone has everything they need to start playing)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

First.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hi-5 lurker crew

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hey Burgs wanna debate the mechanics and poo poo! I think once the project list goes up we should try and pick one favourite for people to pile onto to work on, if they don't have any one clearly obvious choice for maximum utility.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Now lets see if we can build something good before everything crumbles again.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

whatup, friendos

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Hi friends!

I like building. Do you like building?

You'd better like building.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I love building.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I also love fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
to DIE! :downsgun:

Seriously though - we have the gosh-darned Dragonlord and his troops to worry about, and on top of that I've heard it on good authority that some of the Dragonlord's agents have infiltrated our builders' ranks!

We may have to VOTE, democratically... Vote to exile or execute - I care not for the method of removal, just so long as we root out the Dragonlord's evildoers from the castle keep!

Anyway, please keep this in mind while we settle in today, and report anything suspicious!