Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sounds fun - I’ll play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I love building.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I also love fighting.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

So is this game about legos? Because I like legos.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

CCKeane posted:

##vote: Ruggan They're called Lego blocks not Legos you trademark ruining scoundrel.

LEGOZ

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I like the idea of building walls to protect progress. However combat stuff might do just as much to protect if it means we can kill monsters. I also like KBs suggestion to publically track building targets.

Regarding Mega, I’m not convinced. This is just sort of their style as I’m coming to learn - it definitely pings me too, but it has every time I’ve played with them (and in the one finished game, they were town).

I worry that too much building discussion will lead to difficulty in hunting scum.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Amnistar posted:

That said, this post:

Is really bad. At this point there are Pmush’s vote, which was clearly a joke, Solus who had been in a fight with AA, Myself, and a vote by Bifux. So 3 real votes on AA, and Mega is susp of “all the people hopping onto AA”. I’m pretty sure this is a scum Mega move and that makes me think that AA is town.

Jumping on a post that ends in a vote for you and calling it really bad feels reactionary at best. I also think your being “pretty sure” it’s a scum move is a little of an overreach, especially since Mega plays this way in every game.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Amni, can you add me? I should go in combat, I belong in the back.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Let me underscore for the builder that I belong in combat - please put me in.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

What did we decide on our preferred projects being?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Amnistar posted:

If you are feeling overwhelmed:
1.) Ignore combat until tonight. It only matters if you get picked.
2.) Submit a build action. If you dont know what for do soothseer or whichever is highest. Pick whichever of the 2 options sounds cooler.
3.) Hunt scum like a normal game.

Also feeling overwhelmed but this is good advice. Please excuse my light posting as I have a sick fam right now and making strong cases feels demanding. Catching up now...

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Monathin posted:

Since it's been brought up and I think it's worth discussing. Do ypu think there are scum hiding in mechanics chat, Alli? If so, who are the ones you would suspect?

I’m worried about this mechanics chat too, but you’ve mentioned it a few times at this point and it’s starting to feel like you’re hiding behind it

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Bifauxnen posted:

hm, not sure if I wanna totally drop Hunt yet, but let's help this along

##vote Mega

I can see this possibly being Mega's town tone that other people read as scummy, but I can't really judge that until he gets into full effortpost mode, and that has not happened yet

I’ve misread Mega a few times for this exact reason and so while I agree with your read I’m also a bit gun shy because of my misreads of them in the past. I get the feeling Mega’s posting style just tends to ping folks

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SolusLunes posted:

if we're going by vibes votes your vibe is extremely bad with this vote

give me a reason why, steak, you've already been coasting as hard as possible today

100% agree with this... although I have a tendency to think Steak is scum too...

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

MegaZeroX posted:

Man, I don't like how Ruggan has only 5 posts that aren't jokes:

• 2 of them are just swooping into defend me
  • 2 of them emphasizing how they REALLY REALLY want to go into combat
  • 1 question on how to submit build actions.

Like, this is atypical for Ruggan in my experience, and its super weird how instead of making cases and reads he just goes and defends me. It feels too much like scum trying to earn brownie points when I flip town.

Yea it is atypical, see aforementioned sick fam.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Someone requested this earlier:

1. alli again
  2. Amnistar
  3. Anomalous Amalgam
  4. b-minus1
  5. Bifauxnen
  6. CCKeane
  7. charms
  8. Dragonatrix
  9. Hunt11
  10. Iron Chef Ramen
  11. Jen X
  12. King Burgundy
  13. Leith Maclaine
  14. Lux Animus
  15. MegaZeroX
  16. Monathin
  17. Mr. Steak
  18. PMush Perfect
  19. Ruggan
  20. Social Studies 3rd Period
  21. SolusLunes

For future reference, you can get this here:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hunt11 posted:

So steak's town play is to go pure stream of conscious with no rhyme or reason behind it?

Yeah, pretty much. Steak tends to do this and it's made me read them as scum in the past, and I was wrong then.

Mr. Steak posted:

see, this brings me right back around to thinking bif is scum. i know from past experience that this is her genuine opinion, and she brings it up in practically every game. that's why i find this earlier post of hers super off:

her genuine reasoning for wanting to withhold town reads really should carry over to claiming building projects.
let alone my logic before about how there's no way to accurately analyze the percentage results even if everyone claims their project, the fact that bif doesnt even consider that this sort of "massclaim" would benefit scum, when her normal thought process is that even claiming townreads can benefit scum, comes across to me as very off from her normal thinking.

to break it down cuz i think im being long-winded:

bif thinks townreads are dangerous to claim willy-nilly because it gives scum a more accurate view of town's overall perspective, thus making it easier to choose a towny person to NK, and also safe options to push for a mislunch.

that logic *should* carry over to build plans. basically, townreads are to nightkill, as project-claims are to sabotage. claiming our projects will make it a lot easier for scum to sabotage effectively, with extremely minimal benefit to town in return.

again, the main thing that pings me is she never even seems aware of this possibility, which is weird because of her deeply-ingrained similar opinions on townreads.

##vote bif

This long steak post does make me feel good about them though, as town. Steak went out of their way to point out something that I was thinking - that revealing information could make it easier to effectively sabotage our night projects. I had been thinking about this more and more and was becoming more suspicious of the players that were suggesting we reveal that information. Steak broke it down in a way that made sense and clearly to no real benefit to them - I have a hard time seeing a scum want to discourage information sharing.

Some of steak's more recent posts are definitely concerning but I think I still attribute that to their stream of consciousness playstyle. I don't want to be responsible for lunching them in error again.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I'm disinterested in voting for Steak and don't plan to tonight.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Amnistar posted:

I am around for the next hour then have game night. I dislike steak's play, but I really dislike the last second switch to them. I don't see the ICR case the same as everyone else, so I'm gonna move to ##vote hunt for now.

Feel free to lobby my vote for anyone but steak.

I think steak is dumb, and I think this recent push is taking advantage of that.

Why do you think hunt is scum?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

King Burgundy posted:

Scum want to discourage info sharing because it gives them more places to hide. Several of us have gone over this.

A reminder that scum apparently can't actually contribute to our building projects. So having them on the record for where they will be beforehand gives them less wiggle room. Also, again, the idea of building cops or the like have Benn brought up to see if they were really doing what they said they would.

If I were scum, I would want to know who the strongest builders are, and which projects they wanted to focus on. I would use that to actively sabotage projects I wanted to fail and would play nice for the first few nights to hide in plain sight. I would highly favor killing valuable town players.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

alli again posted:

i'm soothseeing

ruggan who would you vote, i just filtered you and pretty much all your reads are "eh, (person who's getting votes) is someone I don't really read as scummy right now" and i just have no idea what you actually think

Hunt is on my list. I read through their posts and there were very few, low content scum reads and yet a lot of posting about mechanics. I'm suspicious of them for that reason.

I would probably vote Amnistar above Hunt. I am writing up a case in another window and will post that soon but it doubly worries that Amni is voting for Hunt when they're both high on my scum read list.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I have some major concerns with Amni. I finally had time to review everyone's post history and Amni just comes across to me as scum.

Amni voted Solus for claiming scum, then votes AA for voting Solus for the same reasons:

Amnistar posted:

##vote solus

Dislike jokes about being scum, not a joke vote.

Amnistar posted:

This is a pretty lovely post.

##vote AA

Amni claimed to vote to get reactions but is reacting strongly themselves and follows up with a vote I see as retaliatory:

Amnistar posted:

See, putting myself out there can get reactions that give a lot of info.

Like mega not reading my posts in depth!

Mega is probably scum. And I can see them being scum with AA

Amnistar posted:

I think all the people quoting votes threw me off.

But with only 3 votes on them I am happy to actually move my vote to ##vote mega

Would still be happy to vote AA as well.

Amni put together this whatever battle chart which is super helpful and yet also a great way for scum to get brownie points. They can hide behind this as being helpful without exposing themselves to anything. This is pretty much slipup-proof. And here's a post from Dragonatrix who posted that they think Amni is town just because of the chart - that's exactly what a little helpful scum would go for.

Dragonatrix posted:

After having read through every post I missed and re-read a few before that just in case, I'm going to strongly recommend that I'm only put up for combat if it ends up being absolutely necessary. Amni's chart also helped with that a lot, so I'm inclined to think he's town for the time being.

Building-wise, I'm pretty dang amazing at Tinkering, so I'm gonna focus on that at the moment.

And now I'm gonna force myself to top thinking about the Building stuff too much, because it's a cool mechanic that I could spend hours overthinking if I didn't

And this? Well maybe not explicitly but you are basically feeding into the "let's all tell each other what we're good at" (which Monathin even calls you out on, by the way):

Amnistar posted:

there is a reason I'm not pressing people for their stats.

Amnistar posted:

For what it is worth, my best skill is average. That's why I am doing seer.

Amnistar posted:

My role specifically mentions the rainbow drop with regards to building.

So to sum it up, I think you're trying to play the position of a safe town, but the narrative I'm reading is one in which you're positioning yourself as helpful via a riskless activity, reinforcing the position that we should share information which could reveal powerful town players as good NK targets. Sprinkle in some hypocritical behavior and a little dose of retaliatory voting and that's one plate of hot sexy Amni scum for you.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Amnistar posted:

I only read this part.

my one and only

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

In terms of lurkers, I think alli, CCKeane, charms, Iron, and SS3P have all not contributed a ton of content yet. And me as well, I suppose.

However I do object to the idea that killing a lurker D1 is a good call. No good info from the flip.

Monathin, can you clarify your position on this because I had a hard time following whether you agree or disagree with me on that:

Monathin posted:

Voting a lurker early extends d1 and gives little info in a flip, aka town's best option.

You should be moving your vote off Mega whether you agree or disagree with the reads, not based on any basis of activity. Scum can be just as active as town.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

##vote Amnistar

I'm about to head home, dinner, kids bedtime, etc. I'll be checking my phone periodically but don't expect a ton of effort posting from me here on out. I'll at least be checking in before the deadline in case my vote needs to be switched.

I would vote for hunt as well if that's the direction we want to go.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

King Burgundy posted:

I know I'm leaning on last game a lot, but I haven't played in a while and it is still fresh. You thought Amni was scum for most of our last game together, right? He wasn't. If you reflect on that, does it change anything about your current read?

Fwiw, I find Amnis posting valuable so far this game, and if he is scum, he is scum I don't want to cuddle yet. I don't think he is though.

And when we go after the helpful town posters because we think they are fronting, soon all we are left with is the non helpful ones. There is a time and place for that and it isn't d1.

That's a good point and later today I'll reread some of my posts on Amni from last game to see if they compare.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Monathin posted:

Deadline is in 4 hours.

Bedtime for kids is in 2 :)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Mr. Steak posted:

just looked at the votes and went "who the gently caress is social studies 3rd period??"

Lmao. Lurker pro!!!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Mr. Steak posted:

just looked at the votes and went "who the gently caress is social studies 3rd period??"

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

hello,

(writing up a post atm)

Scummon! Scum summon!!!!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Mr. Steak posted:

cue someone calling you scummy cuz "someone clearly pinged you in scumchat just now"

Already did!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

King Burgundy posted:

I know I'm leaning on last game a lot, but I haven't played in a while and it is still fresh. You thought Amni was scum for most of our last game together, right? He wasn't. If you reflect on that, does it change anything about your current read?

Fwiw, I find Amnis posting valuable so far this game, and if he is scum, he is scum I don't want to cuddle yet. I don't think he is though.

And when we go after the helpful town posters because we think they are fronting, soon all we are left with is the non helpful ones. There is a time and place for that and it isn't d1.

I reread my posts from that game. I wavered on Amni a few times but never had a super strong read. I tracked them at one point but as a fallback for Quid where I thought I’d be blocked. Amni also died that night.

My reread doesn’t change my stance on Amni in this game.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

alli again posted:

would you be willing to review and respond to my criticisms of your case

Yes, what are they?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

alli again posted:

for the record, given their posting so far, i'm not opposed to this.

regarding the amni case they posted below, i think it leaves out context from amni's filter; for example the "retaliatory" vote leaves out Amni's reasoning, which was mentioned one or two posts above in the filter, and the aa vote was justified in a different context, not for the same reasons. if i'm spotting these with 2 minutes in the filter than I have trouble believing that it's constructed in good faith and that makes me uncomfortable

I went and looked again, first pass even struggled to find what you were referring to. Was it this post?

Amnistar posted:

For me its mega pretending my removal of a vote from solus for having a meta defense on claiming scum is a scum tell, followed by how much they are flailing when pressure is applied.

I realize I'm not voting but consider my vote there. Dont want to rush a cuddle until we have all the day 1 information from setup we are going to get.

I’ll be honest, that first sentence is really confusing to me... but I’m pretty sure simplified it is “voting Mega because they voted me for something I did”. Mega found Amni’s actions scummy, which Amni found scummy... which is sort of retaliatory, is it not?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Leith Maclaine posted:

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

I idea of choosing a no lunch on purpose D1 is abhorrent.

##vote PMush

I wrote this down as super suspect as well. I would be open to switching to PMush if that gains momentum too.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

##vote pmush

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

MegaZeroX posted:

Amni has continued to mostly managed to look helpful by maintaining a pretty list, but I find it pretty susp that there isn't any narrative they are pushing for.

:emptyquote:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Monathin posted:

My vote is currently on Hunt and has been for most of the day, that really weird possibly-a-scumslip in addition to the rest of their posting makes them look weird.

Charms suddenly coming in to drop a vote also has me kind of raising an eyebrow, but it's far too late in the day to push momentum onto them and I think they're new, so that's another person to put on the "re-evaluate d2" pile.

If Hunt isn't scum, their flip gives us a lot of info and we can work from there.

(My third pick WAS Drago because I legitimately didn't like their weird posting-and-discrediting-at-the-fringes style posting but I'm choosing to believe the mason claim is not a gambit for my own sanity at this time.)

Odd that you need to tell us your vote has been consistent throughout the day. They are the forerunner and we are one hour out. Your consistency is irrelevant at this point and your bringing it up indicates that you worry you are being suspicious. Are you worried about what we will think if hunt flips town? Are you trying to remind us you got onboard early if they flip scum?

“If hunt isn’t scum.”

Do you already know their alignment?

This post is giving me the heebie jeebies.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Bifauxnen posted:

Keane's starting to sound mildly townier to me lately, and that post alllllmost convinces me that voting for PMush might actually be a decent thing to try, instead of just stupidly jumping on whoever says something too obviously bad and controversial to really be scum

Can you point out which of CCKeane’s posts you are referring to?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

No. I think PMush is town. I can see where the desire to NL would come from in a game like this, I just don't agree.

I think this is an odd sentiment. I’m not questioning your alignment - neutral on you right now - but can you elaborate on where you think a NL desire would come from and how you think that could possibly benefit town when the only way to clear scum is to lunch them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Bifauxnen posted:

wherever he was complaining about PMush I'm phone posting while really supposed to be getting more work done today so don't ask me silly questions

what’s the square root of a pineapple?