Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OP do not bother with season 1, at all. There's no good episodes and it merely exists for historical purposes.

Season 2 has an ok episode here and there but should not be bothered with by someone new to the show.

Season 3 really starts to shine. Most episodes are really good, though a few are a little slow.

Season 4 just knocks it out of the park. Every episode is great. Seasons 4-7 are pure gold. Not a bad episode.

Season 8 starts to slip a bit but is still amazing. Season 9 is still 70% good material. Season 10 is like 50% good material. Season 11 is 30% good material, and season 12 has one good episode (the one when the kids get snowed in at school). Season 13 has 0 good episodes and they have kept up that streak ever since.

Chrs posted:

On Sunday afternoon I found an episode of Simpsons on TV and decided to watch it because I’ve not watched Simpsons for over 10 years now. It was the episode where Homer and Marge go to marriage counselling and Homer tries to catch General Sherman.

It was shocked at how utterly poo poo old Simpsons looks these days on a big TV. It looked like someone had run Trace Bitmap over it in Flash.

All the streaming services and TV channels are taking the 4:3 episodes of the Simpsons and stretching them out and making them look like poo poo. They're also applying some "smoothing" filter to them on top of all that. My DVD rips I have on my Plex server still look great on all my TVs (even my 150").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

Season 1 isn't horrible, but a lot of the episodes are depressing and it leans pretty heavily on the whole "we're the anti-Cosby show!" thing. Season 2 shouldn't completely be skipped though: Bart the Daredevil (the famous scene of Homer falling into the ravine), Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, The Way we Was, and Three Men and a Comic Book are all-time classics.

8 is where the cracks start to become really apparent, and season 9 is home to The Principal and the Pauper, which is basically the point at which all of the rules go out of the window and marks the end of classic Simpsons.

I don't really get why the "The Principal and the Pauper" episode gets so much hate; the plot is stupid, yeah, but it's still a funny episode and it pokes fun at itself. Personally, I've never really felt like the plots of the episodes caused the decline in quality (there were always "Simpsons meet a celebrity" and "Simpsons go to X" episodes). My issues with the quality of the episodes simply came down to the jokes. I remember an episode in season 12 or 13 where Bart keeps flushing the toilet to make the temperature change in Homer's shower and Homer keeps screaming in different octaves and it sounds like a song and I just went "ugh" and couldn't watch the rest of the episode. The show went from letting the viewer be smart enough to decipher a joke, to just dumb in-your-face "humor".

I remember seeing a good earlier-season episode where Homer is reading the bible and he says "talk about a preachy book. Everyone's a sinner. Except this guy". He points to somewhere in the book, but you don't see where. He's obviously pointing to Jesus. Them not showing you what he's pointing at is what makes it funny. If that joke were on a newer episode, it would have zoomed in on the page and showed the name "Jesus".

The other things that made the show so special were the little things you couldn't even put your finger on that just made sense. I always think of the Whacking Day episode, in the really short scene where the kids are singing "O Whacking Day" to the theme of "O Tannenbaum/O Christmas Tree" and how much I always die laughing when the kid with the high-pitched voice comes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef10KbypviU

(@ 10 seconds)

It's so brilliant because I thought for sure there was a version of "O Tannenbaum/O Christmas Tree" that it was specifically mimicking, with the high-pitched section and everything, and I searched on Youtube for an hour and couldn't find it. I thought it was maybe from Charlie Brown, but found nothing. That's what's so great about the Simpsons. A joke like that "makes sense", even though it's pulling that memory from seemingly nowhere. There's a ton of examples like this during the golden years of the show but it's the main one I could think of this early in the morning off the top of my head. (An angry bear holding a baking sheet of homemade candies while wearing a propeller beanie and roller skates in Springfield's Russian District sort of goes along with this as well.)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 7, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

The secret to watching The Simpsons is to avoid discussing it online at all because any mention of The Simpsons will inevitably be drowned out by people showing up to enter their third decade of endlessly relitigating the exact moment the show went from sublime to irredeemable and being utterly shocked and amazed that a long-running show that has had major changes in its writers and showrunners is different now than it was a lifetime ago.

The cool thing about The Simpsons fans I think is that everyone pretty much everyone universally agrees it was at its peak seasons 3-7, was great 8-9, decent 10-11, and unwatchable 12 onward?

It's like, the one thing ever the entire collective internet agrees on I thought.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

You Only Move Twice is the best episode

I think it's the Summer of 4'2" but that's a close second