Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love this dumb game even if I've never managed to finish it. I love stories about sci-fi and fantasy colliding head-first, and the actual plot and characters are fun. Rainer is an excellent sidekick.

E: Like Rainer is just so incredibly excited to be here and studying all this stuff, it's adorable. It's really neat to see a sci-fi scientist who is open minded, excited, and fully aware of what a wonder it would be to explore a whole new planet and people.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would guess it's because they're on the box art.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the other slightly annoying things in this game is that it's pretty committed to things that 'make sense' in character abilities. Tom, for instance, is bigger and tougher than an Iskai and he can become reasonably competent with melee weapons because he's still an athletic guy, but he'll never be as good as people who actually trained to use swords and shields and spears most of their lives up to this point. Despite being the main character he's forever going to be behind characters like Drirr since he only picked up an axe when this adventure began.

At the same time, he can use a gun. That's sweet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the gun gives like +40 or +50 to hit, it's crazy. The gun also hits harder than any other physical weapon in the game.

How many bullets do you have, though? Like 20? 30?

Also Tom is at least pretty tough and he can wear good armor and handle some pretty decent weapons, so he's not useless. Rainer...well, you eventually just give Rainer a bow and treat any hits he scores as a nice bonus while your real characters handle most of the fighting. He'd be way more of a load if he wasn't one of the best characters in the game character-wise.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sira is great. As per many fantasy RPGs, the spellcasters are really powerful party members. Though needing the magic seed ammo for every spell in addition to MP can be a little annoying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Albion is a game where it's creators clearly cared a lot and did their best. It's probably why so many people who played it remember it fondly, despite the kinda meh gameplay.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know that Khunag is more powerful and all, but I like Siobhan better because of her rad character design. I usually used her instead when I was playing.

I like how they make her keep up with Drirr; he can wield two weapons, but she automatically counts as wielding a Damage 4 or 5 weapon for her fists and feet, and adds that to whatever weapon she's equipped with. :black101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The nice thing is they're both quite useful. You already have a solid party without whoever you take, so whichever one you get is just 'this is a really good extra wizard' or 'this is a totally excellent extra warrior'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Critical Hit is absolutely worth the money if you can manage it. It really helps to have a chance to straight murder a dude on every swing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Albion feels like a game that was meant to be a bit bigger than it was. But 'RPG with heart whose ambition exceeds its grasp' is like an entire genre in and of itself so I forgive it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grab Khunag

I like Sira and Mellthas, but they've earned a break, and I actually know what you're talking about with the next optional PC and would be curious to see that, too. I never actually managed to finish this game but I got pretty dang far.

Saving Herras was the weird bit where I couldn't remember how you did it, but knew there was some convoluted bullshit involved. Back in the day I remember actually having to use goddamn GameFAQs to figure out where those triggers were.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PurpleXVI posted:

It feels strongly like the script went through multiple revisions or they ran out of time, no hiding that. Especially once you get to the island of the Enlightened Ones and encounter a lot of dialogue that really isn't very relevant to the rest of the game.

This is my general sense, too. It's a shame because the first parts of it are really strong, and there's still some fun stuff later on, just nothing that lives up to the first island.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I will also miss Rainer. This is fairly close to where I stopped when I was playing; I got a bit further, but I was quite sad to lose Rainer even though he's useless in gameplay. I was glad you just lose him to staying behind to nerd out instead of the poor guy dying or something though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's very clearly a game that had a lot of ambition it couldn't quite fulfill, but I appreciate that it tried.

And that first island really is an awesome opener. An actual relatively friendly and reasonable first contact scenario was so refreshing to see. As was the fact that the characters themselves actually understood how exciting it was to be encountering a sentient, reasonably friendly new species.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I do appreciate one major thing about the plot:

They give you actual time and reasons to be invested in the planet and the stuff going on here before springing 'Okay, now you gotta save it from the earthmen'. Also, Ned and the Captain trying to keep the crew in the dark about committing genocide is a nice touch that gives you a way your protagonists can try to sway the crew against them.

It's certainly better than Phantasy Star 2 ending in 'Also, here are 500 earthmen, and every single one of them has a knife' out of nowhere.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, I was really close to the end of this game when I stopped, it turns out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Albion is a game that did its best and overreached its own grasp a fair bit, but I still like it. It's an obvious passion project for the people who made it and it does just enough really interesting stuff to be worth a look.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing this game gets right that a lot of other RPGs (TT and otherwise) could learn from is how it's still able to have plenty of conflict and quests even with people being relatively reasonable or willing to listen to the heroes. There's lots more 'I believe you, this is a serious problem, help us work together to get X so we can go forward on it' rather than 'You must get X before I give you the time of day'. Fundamentally it leads to similar kinds of quests, but making the player actually like Albion is pretty important to the game's goals and it does a good job of trying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also the fact that the majority of the Toronto's crew will, in fact, agree not to fight you and do in fact prefer not to commit genocide.

Yeah, the fact that the Company has to trick most of the crew helps, too. Stuff like legitimately being able to talk the security guys down is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think if the Celts had been one island and maybe they'd put another species or two in, it'd be a stronger game. A sort of brief 'oh yeah, we know humans, even if you're nothing like normal for them.' thing, the weird magical celts, and then onwards to mostly alien stuff and more exploring.