Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

This is the storeroom under the home of the South Wind Clan which we aren't going to poke at just yet. You're encouraged to go down there by Wrinn pretty much, and it's the closest thing the game gets to a starter dungeon, in my opinion, but even so it'll absolutely kick your rear end if you go down there at this point.

Indeed. I didn't have the sense to leave it until later when I played this as a kid and had to spend some of my precious bullets here. Only a few, but I didn't need to use the gun again at all until I met a certain unique enemy late in the game. I REALLY needed the rest of the ammo then, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
When I played this, my first thought during the murder scene was "Why is someone from the Toronto running around assassinating aliens with a crossbow?" It made way more sense than the idea that humans were somehow native to Albion. When they dropped that reveal a minute later my reaction was "How the HELL does that even work?!?"

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Watching you spend all the bullets on standard, early-game enemies made me sad. I hope you don't regret that later.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, once you have Sira, guns are kind of outdated compared to the terrifying hell she can bring to the battlefield as long as you supply her with sufficient mana potions.

Sira's ridiculous, but there are still a few enemies you can't freeze. And like I said earlier, there's one late-game enemy that made me glad I had saved my ammo.

EDIT: Although, you seem to know the game much better than I did at the time. I didn't know you could make Tom invulnerable to the Skrinns by stacking all the armor on him, for example. I'm guessing you'll have other ways of dealing with the rear end in a top hat I'm thinking of when you get there.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 22, 2020

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Oh, speaking of the writing...

I think you missed a scene, Purple. There's a big conversation you can have with someone who realizes that Tom and Rainer think Iskai magic is a superstition, and demonstrates his powers by rapidly growing a big piece of plant furniture right in front of them. They tell him about electricity in return. I can't remember exactly who you talk to to get that, but it's probably too late now that our heroes have seen magic in action.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

If people want me to suffer, I will willingly suffer.

Lead us goons not into temptation, fool. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Firstly, as a member of the guild in Jirinaar, they will teach her spells for free if she satisfies the minimum level. Secondly, she needs to be level 9 to reach the apex of the "Frost" spells, "Frost Avalanche."

This spell alone makes Sira your MVP, at least as long as you keep her stocked with :catdrugs:. In fact, she's so massively OP that I'm half-convinced a later story event is only there to impose a "Sira tax" on you.

quote:

Giving Frinos the music crystal gets you a Crystal Axe. It does mediocre damage, but it's a ranged weapon with infinite ammo

There's a magic axe from Ultima 5 in this game?!? Well, that would have been good to know!