Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Three years after OWL started and they still can't get glitch-free streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

teagone posted:

This stream quality is straight booty. Christ. YouTube pls.
what are you using to watch, mobile/desktop? the 1080p VP9 stream looks fine-ish to me

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

someone post a screenshot of it looking like rear end, I want to see if Twitch has just lowered my expectations

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

teagone posted:

Have another, quality screencap from a 1080p60 VP9 encoded stream on YouTube

here's that same frame on my end

it does indeed look awful now that I'm paying more attention but it looks better than yours

Holy poo poo production team WHAT ARE YOU DOING STOP GOING TO ADS

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

The MLG stream is 20 seconds ahead of the YouTube stream: https://www.mlg.com/watch/WEguxLJ7RKB/featured-overwatch-videos/overwatch-league-2020-is-live-from-new-york-city (and much better quality)

Also make sure you aren't watching on the PlayOverwatch channel, it's delayed from the Overwatch League channels and looks worse

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 8, 2020

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

VICTORY
MOMENT

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

if it’s anything like the talent 2/3 of them were fired
I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard fires the production team at the end of each season, the production quality at the beginning of every season has been bad

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

they turned off the main stream and switched to only using this stream which was previously delayed and looked worse
wait no they just turned off the main stream and then turned it back on as a different ID? here
I was bamboozled by youtube's bizarre interface

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 8, 2020

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

surf rock posted:

Also, it is the dumbest poo poo in the world that they make you switch streams midway through the day and it must be absolute poison for their viewership.
https://twitter.com/Selfless_Brad/status/1226270511761625088?s=20
(ATL Reign head coach)

should probably be fixed soon if it wasn't already fixed for today, because people in OWL obviously hate it

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Tell me more about her armband

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

why is the COD League ad in portrait

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

YouTube's video had the red "live" indicator meaning I was up-to-date with the actual stream
But then I set it to 2x speed and it ran for quite some time at double speed
What does this mean

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Sources: YouTube’s Deal With Activision Blizzard Valued At $160M

quote:

YouTube’s media-rights deal with Activision Blizzard Esports is valued at around $160M USD over three years, according to people briefed on the terms of pact, part of the broader new strategic partnership between Google and the video game company. Google and Activision Blizzard announced the new partnership late last month just before the start of the Call of Duty League (CLD) season.

Sources said the deal comes in around $160M total for all of the esports properties involved — Call of Duty, Overwatch, and Hearthstone. The previous deal that Activision Blizzard had for just the Overwatch League (OWL) was reportedly valued at $90M total over two years. Activision Blizzard declined comment. The exact breakdown of how much each property contributes to the total payout from Google is not known, but sources said that the majority is towards OWL, with a lesser but still notable amount going toward CDL, while Hearthstone — which is not a Tier 1 esport — was described as essentially a free throw-in for YouTube.

Sources said that the deal includes significant incentive clauses for ad sales and viewership targets, so the money coming to the league and teams could go up markedly. These incentive clauses, described by sources as achievable, are partially why teams and other executives around the league have been happy with the new YouTube deal even though the base amount going to OWL is not an increase from the Twitch deal.

[...]

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Hangzhou_Spark/status/1228710558796369920

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

C9

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Become a personal trainer

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Apparently former host for the Call of Duty League. I keep forgetting that exists

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

lol at pulling soldier 76 three times in a row after he's only been in the meta for a week

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

tier 2 overwatch is now tier 1 overwatch by default

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShanghaiDragons/status/1239057729349652480

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/MonteCristo/status/1243962802198343681

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

wow this casting is awful
I assume there's some kind of delay going on on their side but it means they're constantly talking over each other

Hopefully they fix this or it just somehow never happens again

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Deathy McDeath posted:

Having trouble keeping the stream going at 1080p for some reason. Have gigabit internet so it shouldn’t be happening
coronavirus lockdowns

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

teagone posted:

YouTube is throttling quality because of covid (for real).
Only in Europe and they're just disabling anything above 480p there
Internet is probably overloaded wherever McDeath is (or a lovely ISP, which is most of them)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/DelightfulEvilAardvarkUWot
Seagull says Dallas Fuel ran trials for his position without giving him an opportunity to try out

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Wasnt seagull on the way out of the pro scene at that point
It's pretty hard to be in the pro scene when your team refuses to let you play

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/BostonUprising/status/1246545323499061248

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Pretty sure I've seen them accidentally unhiding/hiding chat during a match

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Haksal, Twilight, and Slime have all removed that they are part of the Titans from their Twitter bios in the last 24 hours. Allegedly the management is awful and the team is basically imploding.

Ad by Khad posted:

Yeah that number seems totally unbelievable and I'm probably just reading the data wrong
Most Chinese streaming sites (including bilibili as far as I can tell) report an activity/popularity rating, not viewer counts. So a viewer donating counts more than one chatting counts more than one just watching. It's not so much fake as it is just useless beyond maybe on-site comparisons. I think some people try to convert activity counts into viewer counts but lol at the idea of that

Facebook was falsifying video views (by counting anyone who watched for 3 seconds as a view) but I don't think there's currently evidence of falsified stream viewers

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2020

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

So, are we about to watch a league unravel right before our eyes? I don't recall that ever happening to a sport midseason before.
XFL (re)started this year, lasted five weeks, then went bankrupt due to coronavirus shutdown

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

jeff kaplan posted:

when we moved to a combined hero pool system, we did so based on feedback from owl players and coaches. in our monthly discord chat, they vocalized that the number one issue they were facing was the inability to effectively practice in competitive play because the pools differed. on the development team, we also wanted to move away from human-curated pools to something that was driven by statistics. we felt like this would provide more transparency into why the picks were made each week and frankly, remove some of the negative emotion we saw when the picks would be announced. we evaluated using owl stats to determine the pools but there were some issues that put us in the direction we ultimately went. because of logistics with how the owl broadcast works, the owl schedule itself, the desire to have the picks read after the final game of the weekend and the amount of time between when the final match of the weekend happens and when the teams have requested to be able to start practicing, we made the decision to base the picks off of a more stable environment -- a segment of our high-end players from the live game.

if you remember our original design -- we had two separate pools -- one derived for owl and one derived for the playerbase at large. the value that was expressed to us directly from the players who participated in our dev/pro-player chat was that the pools be synced, over anything else. that was the top thing we as, as a development team, could do to make the game better for owl pros.

so we made the decision to unify the pools and we chose to have those pools derived by the playerbase because that would be the most impactful decision for the largest segment of ow players. there are also a lot of logistical reasons (in the short amount of time we had to implement a change, a system that was evergreen rather than one that would have to be re-implemented anytime owl goes on hiatus -- think about the times we live in right now -- made the most sense to us from a pragmatic standpoint).

largely the system is working. impactful heroes to both the base game and owl are getting rotated, for example moira and orisa this week. the absence of both will have an impact on owl and the live game. there are some moments that feel off to players. echo being banned was a possibility we were well aware of. we knew this would upset players because she was knew but we felt like sticking with the integrity of the system was important. and we knew owl viewers would be upset because echo wasn't being played.

and just because the system doesn't routinely ban mei each week doesn't really bother us -- because that's not what it was meant to do. mei's been rotated out already. and in terms of balance, characters like mei are getting a lot of attention. in addition to her recent nerfs more are coming on wednesday. her win rate is already down. remember, owl is traditionally slower at picking up balance trends because of their intense schedule, their scrimming behavior and delayed patching. hero pools isn't a solve to balance issues. and the hero pools is not intended to solve problems of "fun heroes vs. bad heroes".... those terms are so subjective that they don't really help the conversation.

we could easily go back to a system where owl pools are determined separately from the rest of the players of the game. but that's not what we were told that they wanted. all of the pros were invited to chat with us and the pros that showed up were unambiguous in their feedback requesting that the pools were synced.

for better or worse there are good lessons in game design here. game design is about trade-offs, not silver bullet solutions. and maybe, for once, we can be open that the owl meta is very different from the meta we see on the ladder.

i know i didn't come here with the magic answer. we're talking about possible solutions still. but i just wanted to shed light on how the situation evolved.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Envy roster still together
https://twitter.com/TeamDogeOW/status/1254936249225355264

Non-OWL-pro tournament taking place on May 4nd
https://twitter.com/FRANA_OW/status/1254895497740869632
more info (from before it was delayed)

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 28, 2020

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Tommu posted:

Production values is a tiny piece of the pie.
this is true but the reason I personally stopped watching Contenders was that every non-Korea Contenders stream had major issues. I find unstable framerates/lots of dropped frames to be physically unpleasant so the only watchable stream for me was the one that aired at like 2AM. (I almost never watch non-live esports)

Even if Blizzard had done way more regarding Contenders, if they hadn't fixed this then I would've stopped watching.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/VancouverTitans/status/1255932995078287360
https://twitter.com/JJANU_ow/status/1255937725154250752
https://twitter.com/VancouverTitans/status/1255940701348433921

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

looking forward to seeing the all-new vancouver titans roster tomorrow

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Hero pools now use OWL data and the algorithm is being changed to reduce ping-pong. Plus other changes not relevant for OWL.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 1, 2020

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

Youtube not having the easy clip functionality that twitch does is kinda what led to my friends no longer ever watching, I can't show them cool plays anymore
There's a bunch of third-party sites that let you clip live YouTube streams and none of them work on the OWL stream. It rules

Twitch clips are so useful and it's utterly bizarre that YouTube doesn't have them. I'm guessing YouTube is opposed to their existence for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

edit: oh apparently there was some sort of clause in Fissure's contract about paying penalties for leaving of his own volition and so he had to be unilaterally released even if its a technicality
IIRC Fissure demanded that clause as proof he wasn't going to abandon the team