Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hype to watch OWL in europe for once later this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

No off tank, no kruise, greyy or soon. Paris making excuses or wanting to test their weaker parts out?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Toronto is so bad

Can't believe every ranking had Toronto above Paris when they are coached this well.

edit: stream bitrate is fine on my end, much better than Twitch gave?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Best comedy I've watched all weekend

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

also that last round legitimately had 12 different heroes being played at the same time

was hoping to see a draw for a possible 5 map first game to ruin timings. Still might get it btf

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Still means some teams go a month without playing then get a bunch of games squeezed into those three weeks but it's probably the best solution right now

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Yeah uh have you ever watched baseball or gridiron football

Given the majority of OWL's audience isn't american... no?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

How much poo poo was everyone else on the flight taking to fill up all the bin space before any of Houston? I've been on plenty of cheap flights and always got a bag up there.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't believe any airline actually "guarantees" you an overhead luggage spot? The american practices we're discussing were actually first pioneered by European ULCCs like Ryanair so its absolutely not an American only thing.

Like, I've flown Ryanair for budget trips many times and not had to put my carry on luggage in the hold before, even when not paying extra for boarding early or anything, hence my surprise?

I'm also surprised that Houston are flying the equivalent of Ryanair, when you have medium comfort options avaliable on these carriers rather than first class or standard?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

drat, Paris/Washington looks like they are actually thinking about their comps instead of copying the meta.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ad by Khad posted:

This week's matches don't look good and I'm really missing the western teams right about now.

Justice will have played ten matches before SEO and the Chinese teams play their first. I know that the circumstances were kinda beyond their control but man this has really hosed up the season.

Paris vs Philly looks interesting, but apart from that yea we need more western teams playing. Can't believe the league hasn't said anything yet, "what If this breaks out of China " seems like something they should have been planning for.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Is contenders/OD not running off the OWL bans? That seems much more sensible than the ladder bans, which no ones knows the critera for.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Unless they are gonna expose OWL players/blizzard staff for being horny mockerfuckers, I don't see anything more than a small twitterstorm coming out of this, just too vague.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

God damnit Paris, almost had it on Dorado and then we let Carpe pop off and got boomed.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If Corona kills OWL, it will only be because it was only wounded by blizzards bad decisions so far. I can't believe they are sticking with the weekly hero pools though, they seem to be a target of hate throughout the pro scene.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

surf rock posted:

Cool! That match against the CS guys was brutal; I'm glad they rallied.

Was every team like the Overwatch team in the sense that they were Tier 2-3 people for their game? Or were any of the teams made up of Tier 1 players?

The R6 team were all former world champs, with 3 of them being the champs this season. So getting beat by a bunch of failed T2 players and streamers is lol. The OW team turned it around after just listening to emonggs shotcalling.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Honestly at this point it feels like blizzard should just remove themselves from the t2 scene completely and lift restrictions on private tournaments as part of it - they don't seem to be able to give both t2 and OWL the attention and resources they need so let's see if anyone else can do better.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea I don't get the toxicity comments, occasionally someone is salty in team chat but that's a rare event. I guess higher SRs have more salt because they've got more tryhards in, it's fine down in gold.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

For OWL as a spectator sport, it doesn't matter how much innovation is happening behind the scenes in scrims. It matters what is on screen for the viewers. And there wasn't enough variety on screen for many viewers in s2, they wanted to be a spectator to this process rather than see the finished result. Weekly hero pools are allowing viewers to watch this kind of development in real time, although the resulting stress in players and burnouts doesn't seem to be worth it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tommu posted:

How do you feel about traditional meat sports? (Genuinely curious)

Not a huge fan. It's a big factor separating esports from regular sports that it's even possible, but I think it being easier to conceptualize different strategies in overwatch compared to meat sports for the average viewer makes them more annoyed at not seeing change (the plat viewer going "why not play reaper/junkrat into goats" basically)

I think another issue is the lack of a sports journalism scene around OWL (mostly due to it's small size not making it worthwhile) means you don't see coaches break down why they did/didn't play something in postgames. Mostly you just see people posting on Twitter that they tried that without much elaboration.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Xzi is back, so get ready for Xzi/Sparkle DPS lineup in the Shock game.

https://twitter.com/ParisEternal/status/1274386529402548225

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

turned this on, saw Toronto forcing Genji and getting demolished, closed tab. :thumbsup:

Toronto actually won Kings Row with Genji, so it's even now.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Paris remains only team not to be upset in NA

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Shock, what's happened to you...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Well I hope that was just Paris misreading what Atlanta was gonna play and getting stuck in the inferior brawl comp, because that was just embarrassing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Paris boomed and basically throwing this third map now. Only having a single off tank all year worked fine till Playoffs when it mattered most... wonder if Smex not having heart issues would have changed this up.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Such a shame after the wonderful success of the youtube deal surely we are all weeping.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Can't believe striker got MVP over violet

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Damm Paris owners must have wanted the quick cash infusion, which sucks because they seemed to be a really good working mixed team. Will Rush be moving aswell then?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nice to see FDgod isn't shackled to the corpse of Paris- bet he'll be one of few players to get a pay rise this season aswell.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea why is Vancouver picking up some benched Korean? Presumably because he trialed well, but these last seasons have been proving that coachability and ability to gel as a team are important and picking up random koreans is not how you get there, especially with covid affected the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

In non-drama news, YaB are looking stacked for EU contenders now - hopefully they can all show why they deserve to be back in OWL.